3499 16th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchenstorysf.com/
- Phone: 4155254905x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 8:00am-3:00pm
Lunch: Daily 8:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Pan-Asian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kasem Saengsawang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email the restaurant directly at email@example.com
A word from Kitchen Story
California cuisine serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kitchen Story reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (37)good for groups (20)great for lunch (20)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (11)special occasion (8)romantic (8)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- crispy curried goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014we ordered different things and shared. the fried chicken & curry sauce was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Altogether Too SweetOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/16/2014On paper, the menu reads wonderfully. I really wanted to love this place. However, every dish we tried at dinner (Castro Tower, Spicy Kobe Rolls, the Short Rib Tacos especially and even the E-Sarn Chicken Salad) had an unwelcome element of sweetness to it. Perhaps this is why they are a more popular brunch location? The portions are generous and the complimentary biscuits were very good. The location is great and the service was friendly and attentive. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and try again but it's unlikely that I could talk my husband into to it.Special Features:
- Awesome food. Loud. Meeh serviceCassDined on 8/15/2014Mom the food was so delicious I would recommend it but we felt like the waiters were a bit out off by requests and it was so loud we had to tell pretty loud to talk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioseginosDined on 8/14/2014The food was so good, unique with lots of new flavors. Great service as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a neighborhood staple!LeoinSFVIPDined on 7/31/2014Always great service and friendly faces, good is consistent - but we would recommend varying the menu from time to time to keep us interested in returning and seeing what's new. Good wine / beer list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Good unique food, fresh too. Way too expensive for the area.Special Features:
- Food +, service -, price -brandonhVIPDined on 7/29/2014Four dollars for a nonalcoholic simple drink, with no refills? Took over 1.5 hours for two people with just appetizers & entrees.
- BrunchLove2TravelJLTWWDDined on 7/28/2014The food was excellent. I ordered KS's own omelet and was not disappointed. The eggs were fluffy and light. I was worried about an omelet containing soy sauce, and should have asked for them to leave it off, however it was not over whelming. The sausage, lemongrass and asparagus all shined through for a great taste. I substituted fruit for the potatoes. There was a nice mix of berries and melons, and all seemed fresh and flavorful. Since we were on vacation, it was brunch on a Monday morning and not too crowded. However, there seemed to be only 2 wait staff for the restaurant. We ordered after a short wait, but it seemed to take a very long time to get our bottomless mimosa order, and the food came shortly after our drink order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome neighborhood restaurantladywiththegreatdogDined on 7/12/2014staff is always warm and friendly, which makes a great restaurant because there are a lot of restaurant choices with good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceHappyfleeceDined on 7/9/2014The staff here were super attentive and very friendly. The food was great too...must have the spicy kobe beef wraps and they ahi tuna bites! The short rib tacos were yummy too! Wish they had a full bar or at least beer on tap...but otherwise food and service was excellent!Special Features:
- Needs to up its serviceBeverlyVIPDined on 7/8/2014Service was slow and kept getting confused. Food was good. They kept the doors open for a long time and it was freezing. I don't think I'll go back.Special Features:
- California/Asian Fusion..very goodKJSFVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delightful dinner. Only problem was that the noodle soup was VERY (too) spicy, which was not at all expected
- Fun and deliciousMarkVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food at Kitchen Story is really fun, and extremely tasty. The menu has a nice variety for every taste, and the service is very friendly. Fun ambiance in a great location. We had a party of five who happily shared a variety of small and large plates. This is our second visit to Kitchen Story and the place gets better and better!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Great food with tasty ingredients. Couldn't be happier, if only the waiter was a little nicer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FoodStephenVIPDined on 6/26/2014Tangerine was one of our favs in San Francisco. We were very sad when it went away. We just rediscovered her new owners: Kitchen Story. What a find. Fabulous food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly deliciousTracyDined on 6/22/2014Never disappoints. Delicious food, especially the beef noodle soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for bday Dinnerernie334Dined on 6/21/2014We had 10 ppl in our party and they are very welcome. Services is excellent. Loved their food. Thanks so much.Special Features:
- Bacon!WillDined on 6/16/2014As everyone mentioned millionaires bacon is a must. Had the stuffed toast which was good, and lastly had the fried chicken which was very juice and tender on the inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatinghansDined on 6/13/2014Wonderful neighborhood restaurant ... Delicious food that are reasonably priced ... My friends and I just keep on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Breakfast EverBigDaneDined on 6/6/2014The food was delicious and the service friendly and efficient. My poached eggs were just right and the bacon was crispy and tasty. My husband's omelette and potatoes were delicious too; he loved the Asian flavors. We went on a week day morning so it was quiet and relaxed inside. We loved watching the lively neighborhood through the windows.Special Features:
- amazing!Laura1230Dined on 6/3/2014Loved this place for their yummy food! You have to get the cheeseburger with the million dollar bacon. O.M.G. is all I have to say!Special Features:
- Wonderful !!!!JOEFAMDined on 5/21/2014What a perfect little neighborhood gem. The staff is sweet polite and friendly. I can't wait to go back. The food is great. Beautiful presentation. It's a well maintained clean restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good price & service.CRTravelDined on 5/21/2014Their menu showed a good variety for good prices. There were a lot of breakfast, brunch, and lunch options. The food was good! Go ahead and try it!Special Features:
- wanted the whole menuburrataVIPDined on 5/16/2014Everything from millionaire bacon burgers to veg options was great. I know they're famous for brunch but we really liked dinner. Nice decorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014We had an enjoyable meal here. It was comfortable and the food was good.
- One of the best dinners I've hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014We heard about Kitchen Story through a highly enthusiastic recommendation by a friend, and we decided to give it a shot for our date night. We were blown away. The service, food, and presentation of the food were all outstanding. Everyone at the restaurant was just so nice and friendly, and the food they served was amazing. The food was beautifully presented and tasted amazing. This is one of the restaurants I'll gladly recommend to anyone visiting or living in SF. It was really quite fantastic. Thank you for the experience, Kitchen Story!Special Features:
- Watch out for the salsaGamsNEggsVIPDined on 5/8/2014This place was just okay. I would stay away from the tacos.
- Great food & servicecutie92475VIPDined on 5/8/2014I have nothing bad to say about Kitchen Story. The staff was personable and friendly and the food was amazing! They were even kind of enough to give my little niece a few sweet potato chips to take home because she loved them so much. This restaurant is definitely a must visit for anyone who enjoys good Thai food with a twist.Special Features:
- Very tasty, but maybe too muchBGinSFDined on 5/7/2014I went to Kitchen Story for dinner with a small group, after having eaten a wonderful lunch there several months back. While dinner was delicious, the dishes were almost "too" flavorful. I had the Dancing Queen, and the sauce was very sweet and a little too much to handle. My wife and a friend each had the POP belly and felt the flavors were overstated. We did love the pumpkin fries! I do like Kitchen Story, and I will return, but I'm hoping some other options on the menu are toned down a bit more.Special Features:
- Delicious DiscoveryTK21979Dined on 4/29/2014I'd heard about this place recently, and when it appeared in an area search the other night, my sister and I made our way there. We were promptly seated at a great table outside, and after ordering the BACON appetizer, and a bottle of wine, our night got underway. I had the Panang Curry, which differed a bit than my usual haunts, though it was very good; roti bread was a tasty side. Sis had the "Burgah", and was equally happy. So much so, we ordered another bottle of wine! Definitely looking forward to coming here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenthappyraDined on 4/24/2014Had a reservation but was first one in when they opened for dinner. Service was impeccable. Food was delicious and presentation was awesome. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the Kitchen Story reviews archive.
- Friendly ServiceDukeDined on 4/22/2014I've eaten here before and the food meet my expectations. The service is very good I think. The waiter that waited on us that night was very attentive and everyone at our table had a good time.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood stapleLeoinSFVIPDined on 4/13/2014Consistent food, nothing fancy, but solid burgers and interesting spins on thai cuisine. They rotate the wine list frequently which also keeps things interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty eclectic menuDavidVIPDined on 4/11/2014Seems like there is something for everyone on the menu. I am usually wary when a menu has too many options, but they seem to be able to pull it off. The short rib tacos were really good, the dancing queen was uninteresting, but fine. Ahi Scoops were tasty, and the millionaires way was a decadent delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner as wellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014I love this spot for brunch but decided to try their dinner menu and it was equally impressive.Special Features:
- A Hearty Dinner ExperienceRomanEatsDined on 3/30/2014My girlfriend and I came here for a spur-of-the-moment dinner one night. The staff was able to accommodate our late reservation request without much trouble. Service was quick, friendly, and efficient, with our appetizers and drinks served within ten minutes of ordering. Main courses were filling and well-prepared, with some very good flavor combinations. Eating here was a great experience.Special Features:
- Average placerkeatsVIPDined on 3/28/2014There is a mixed bag of things to order on the menu. At times I am a bit hesitant when eating at places that serve the more than usual variety of cuisines. I am a fan of fusion/infusion of cuisines but Kitchen Story did not have fusion type dishes. Came with a friend who had been here a couple time sin the past and she mentioned that everything she order was average and after this visit I am going to agree with her. We both order a version of their panang curry with roti and rice. Not too bad, not too bland. It was filling as almost all curries are especially paired with carbs. The samosa were also just ok... and quite pricy for only two pieces. Better restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Brunch with a girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/26/2014Was grabbing brunch with a girlfriend and decided to try somewhere new. Both of us enjoyed the ambiance and the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but loud meal.YoungprofdinerVIPDined on 3/17/2014Excellent food, mediocre service, very loud place.Special Features:
- Delicious food, good ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014The samosas and green curry... wow. So much on the menu I wanted to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.