Kitchen on George
351A George St.
Mobile, AL 36604Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kitchen on George
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kitchenongeorge.com/
- Phone: (251) 436-8890
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:00am - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 10:30 am - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kitchen on George
Kitchen on George is a dynamic part of Mobile’s vibrant local restaurant scene. The restaurants lunch, dinner and brunch menus change seasonally to focus on fresh, locally sourced and regional cuisine featuring fresh Gulf seafood. Located in the charming neighborhood of the Oakleigh Garden Historic District, the restaurant is also close to businesses, local attractions, and a few blocks from many downtown area hotels. Our friendly staff and professional chefs seek to provide guests with a dining experience you'll want to repeat again and again. We have a great selection of wines and cocktails, too! Try our Sunday Brunch, or join us Monday through Friday for our cocktail hour from 4 p.m -- 6 p.m. We're just 4 blocks off Government Street in the heart of Mobile.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Kitchen on George - Best Restaurants in Mobile ›
Kitchen on George reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)fit for foodies (76)special occasion (64)romantic (39)great for brunch (25)good for groups (22)hot spot (17)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (14)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- 1st date spot...success!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014This place was recommended by a friend and I'm glad I went. The entire staff was friendly and cheerful. The food was excellent and the specialty cocktails were a fresh change from the norm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our experience.....WesCDined on 11/15/2014Kitchen on George had a great atmosphere and it was crowded, so it must be doing well. Our server was prompt, helpful and congenial. The shrimp and grits app was delicious and the Caesar salad was very unique in preparation. The lighter dressing and large pieces of fresh parmesan cheese were different from your typical Caesar, in a good way. All in all, a good experience. Worth the money and will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very attentive service & fab foodLetseatDined on 11/8/2014My husband & I dined here after reading a review on Urbanspoon. We were traveling through Mobile. We were seated in the bar area & immediately realized that the a/c vent was directly over our heads. We asked to be moved, but Phillip, our server, didn't have any other spots, so he immediately cut the air. I was so impressed as that almost never happens in most restaurants. We ordered small plates: duck egg rolls, crab & corn soup(very little corn, thankfully), & a salad. Everything was top drawer. We were very impressed with Phillip's attentiveness & professionalism. We were also greeted by a young woman who was probably the mgr. She just checked in with us to see if all was well. Nice touch. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining room was too loudRobHDined on 11/7/2014When at the table eating we were unable to have conversation becasue the dining room was way too loud and were unale to hear one another. Service was excellent and the food was good as wellSpecial Features:
- Hidden Gem!!DrKnowlesDined on 11/6/2014We found this restaurant by chance online just passing through Mobile to New Orleans. What a find and Lucky for us! Outstanding food and atmosphere. Great Sarazac too boot! The shrimp and grits was an experience like no other. Outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Great food, had a great time. Booked our table through open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did we wait so long to goLTMiniardDined on 11/4/2014For some reason we'd put off going to eat here. We live across the bay and just never put any effort into visiting KoG. We have friends that live in Mobile and thought it would be nice to not have them drive over to our side of the bay for an evening out. I saw an add on TV or some reference to KoG and thought why not give them a try. We'd eaten at this location when it was under other ownership and liked the location and the look and feel of the restaurant. We were not disappointed in our choice. The menu selection was simple but had a wide variety of items. The prices are very reasonable and the food was excellent. The staff were very friendly and attentive; ie excellent service. Thanks to everyone for a wonderful night. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014Visited for Sunday brunch. Service was great, and the food was very good. I listed a noise level in the review as "Quiet" but keep in mind we were one of the early guests. We have visited for dinner before, and the noise level was much higher due to the hardwood floors throughout. However, I have never minded a lively restaurant if the food is good. And it is. The only reason I even mention the noise level is to not mislead anyone who may find this factor important. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaritjaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Always delicious and very attentive staff! My family and I look eat here every opportunity we get!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceyardmanDined on 10/30/2014I had a great experience. The food was very tasty and well prepared. The portions were just right. I enjoyed the soup of the day and the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPtClearDined on 10/28/2014We made early reservation before show at the Saenger Theatre. Worked out perfectly. Tempura Okra is great appetizer. Four of us each had something different and everyone was pleased with their choice. Really fun night out.Special Features:
- Yummy BruncharmstlmDined on 10/26/2014The food and service were both very good. The table was a little bit small, but the atmosphere overall was very pleasant.Special Features:
- First time, but not the last!LalaYatesDined on 10/24/2014After reading many good reviews on the internet about this place, my husband and I decided to go there for our date night. We were welcomed at the door by the hostesses and were immediately seated and was waited on by a very professional/knowledgeable young man. The atmosphere, service, wine, and the meal was all wonderful! The bread pudding was the best we've ever had in a restaurant! It was light and fluffy, as if it had just been prepared especially for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/13/2014Generally very good food, though the soup was lukewarm. The duck spring rolls were excellent and the duck and pork mains were very good. They do however bring the food too quickly. Starters a couple of minutes after ordering, mains 5 minutes after finishing starters. This was after the server had said that they paced the meal so we did not have to order entrees after we finished starters - our normal practice in the USA. We could have been in and out within half an hour, no good for an evening out. Other diners we could see had the same issue. Wine list generally good, could do with a few lower priced wines, a few are in the 30s, else more expensive. I was a bit taken back by the $6 price for a single espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local FoodKate2004rockVIPDined on 10/13/2014We visited while on a business trip and tried quite a few things. The crab cakes were delicious. Tempura Okra had a little too much breading but was still good. I had the goat cheese salad and the blackened shrimp and grits and they were both delicious. Would definitely recommend swinging by if you're in Mobile!Special Features:
- A GemFletchVIPDined on 10/13/2014This is a beautiful restaurant set in a quiet neighborhood. I was stunned when I stepped inside to an elegant and sophisticated space. I couldn't believe I was in Alabama. The menu is varied, smart and modern. I had a blackened grouper over goat cheese grits, crusty warm bread fresh from the oven, a salad with the house Tabasco vinaigrette (outstanding) and finished it all off with the Dreamsicle Creme Brulee. Apparently, the restaurant is connected to a local culinary school and the food is prepared by advanced students under the supervision of a master chef. But this is no restaurant on training wheels. The wait staff were well trained, attentive, informed and helpful. I will remember this meal for many days and return here soon.Special Features:
- Oakleigh Garden District GemmaryandkenDined on 10/12/2014Crab bisque was flavorful and light, with just the right amount of cream and consistency. Eggs Benedict was served on what appeared to be house made English muffins that were delicate and crisp, the sauce was well, special, and poached eggs were cooked perfectly. Served with the freshest, locally sourced, crispy crab cakes. KOG, you outdid yourself on this Sunday brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious and beautifully presented. Service was very thoughtful. Could not understand why restaurant was not busier.Special Features:
- It's mobileJimboVIPDined on 10/11/2014stopped on way back from no gf talked me out of overnight stay mountd police in front of restaurant see title to understand can you gentrify mobile I don't think soSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, creative foodsnowmonkey3Dined on 10/9/2014The use of local ingredients in creative ways is outstanding. Food is excellent. Service is outstanding. The Cappucino was excellent, especially for a non-European restaurant. Thoroughly enjoyable. Would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Needs ImprovementDoctorsquaredDined on 9/28/2014The front door staff were courteous, communicative and friendly; our table wasn't ready, we were directed to the bar to wait for our table to be cleared and prepared. The bartender was stellar, he was informative and engaging, my wife ordered a drink, which he was unfamiliar with, he thanked us for having ordered it because it gave him the opportunity to learn something new; my wife LOVED the drink! Then we were seated and here the experience slowly deteriorated, Travis had to be asked to refill our water, bring us bread, refill my drink, bring spoons to eat our dessert and bring sugar for my coffee; another server brought our food, dessert and cleared our table. The crab soup was awesome; omelet and salmon brie salad were very good.Special Features:
- kwilltDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I enjoyed the meal and service. The crab soup was great. I was happy we were able to get reservations on the Sunday we went. We use Kitchen on George about 3 to 4 times a month and usually see friends we know each time. One of our favorite item to order is shrimp and grits.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceMikeDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed our meal very much. Noise was tolerable, but I can see where it might be a problem with loud patrons or noisy groups. Service was good. Our waiter was knowledgable about the menu and specials. He quickly brought out our salads which were superb. Unfortunately, timing of the other dishes and main course was hurried. For example, before we were half done with salads, additional plates began arriving at our table. The food was very good. A bit over salted, which has been mentioned many times before about this restaurant. It hurt the taste of the aoli on the oysters and the special fish dishes. Prices are too high for nightly specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014usually very good, but this time there were a couple of disappointments. salmon salad was fantastic. however the lightly blackened grouper was more than lightly blackened and was very salty. the steak (teres major) had something of a gamey taste. service and all other aspects of the experience were very good. will definitely revisit. this was the exception to an otherwise consistently good restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceLucysviewDined on 9/25/2014Food is consistently good, as is the service. Must have had a different chef Thursday night, however, because my regular snapper entree was slightly different than it's been the previous four times! Still delicious. Crab bisque is out of this world scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy HourwannabefoodcriticDined on 9/19/2014This place has one of the best happy hours I have ever had. Fabulous small plates for only $5. We had the black bean hummus with plantain chips, fried okra pods, shrimp and grits with goat cheese and duck spring rolls. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitBiteme10Dined on 9/18/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at the Kitchen on George. I had the salmon dinner and it was fantastic. I was so please to find healthy options on the menu. Of course there were unhealthy options like wonderful desserts as well. My husband ordered the duck and he reported that it was too gamey. The other of the part of 7 were impressed with their meal. The service was wonderful. Probably the thing I would change is the sound level. The sound of other customers was loud which was surprising for the level of the roof. It was difficult to carry on a normal volume conversation. Maybe there is some way you can baffle the sound with fabric or something else. I really enjoyed my meat and the atmosphere. I will be back soon.Special Features:
- A pleasure to eat here!LivetoEatDined on 9/14/2014This was our 3rd. visit and will continue coming back! Servers are very knowledgeable of drinks and food ingredients and preparation style. The Red Snapper with a creole sauce was excellent. A bit pricy at $29 with virtually no sides except for a few sauteed squash. The shrimp & grits are delicious.Special Features:
- Mobile ' s BestMelbellDined on 9/12/2014My fiance and I were looking for some unique Alabama cuisine. We found Kitchen on George on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. OMG! Mouth watering, delicious is not an adequate description of the food. We had Tempura Fried Okra, Shrimp with Goat Cheese Grits, Fried Oysters, and Red Snapper on Ratatouille Veggies. The service was impeccable from the waiter. The bartender suggested Boneshaker Zin which was perfect since we were looking for a red mix. The dining room is small, but cozy. We came back two days later for Sunday Brunch. Every time we come to Mobile or pass through, we will dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- leolabDined on 9/12/2014Food was really good but service too quick, they brought the main entree before serving the wine and when I order a bottle of wine I want to taste it, enjoy it, this is a resturant to enjouy the food not to be in a hurry. It's my second visit to the restaurant and I had in both the same experience. Thanks
- Love the small platesSuzanigansDined on 9/11/2014The tempura battered okra and fried artichoke hearts were amazing. Can't go wrong with the bread pudding either. Great service and menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- F2T excels at KOGbg48Dined on 9/10/2014Very good mid-week dining experience. The food was very good, fresh, innovative. Signature cocktails are a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Great Dining in MobileGoodToGoDCVIPDined on 9/8/2014We came upon this gem by chance in a quiet residential neighborhood. It was quite a find -- so good that we went back two nights later. The first light I have the "Alabama Jerk Catch of the Day," which was grouper. On the second visit it was the "Pontchartrain Catch of the Day," which was flounder. Both entrees were sophisticated and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy with all the benefitsAilaDined on 9/7/2014We went for brunch on a Sunday. After reading several reviews about how great the place is, I made reservations for 11:30. We showed up at 11:00 and had no problem being seated immediately. After an amazing bowl of grits, succulent snapper, and ridiculously good bread pudding (it was my friend's birthday, so the waiter brought out his portion with a candle on it!), we spent much less than anticipated and enjoyed the food immensely. For brunch, the Kitchen on George is tops, complete with fantastic, quick service and delicious options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in MobilefoodfrontierVIPDined on 9/6/2014I am in town fairly often from Houston to visit with family. I found Kitchen on George via Open Table and haven't stopped smiling. Have brought family members and been wow'd. Service may at times be a bit slow, but it's not as if the servers are lax - this is a busy place! Even so, Chef accommodated a request to divide a portion so my mother and sister could try a certain dish. Thank you, Chef. The menu is smart, the portions good-size and I was pleased to find an unoaked chardonnay available. The dirty martini wasn't bad either, especially as Zach, (a delightful server with great competence) brought along the extra olives I begged for. Pricing is eminently fair and I love the self-park element!
- Our FavoriteOutdoorDinerDined on 9/5/2014Another great evening at the Kitchen on George. We tried outdoor dining last Friday (early September: warm weather, some visiting flying beasties but no mosquitos) and enjoyed a quiet meal with great food and ambience. Every selection we've tried over four visits have been tasty and the portion size allowed for fun trying new things and sharing items with others at the table. Great wait staff. No other restaurant in Mobile comes close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014Wonderful, could not have found a better spot to celebrate a birthday!Special Features:
- Anniversary surpriseCE3KdinerDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I really enjoyed dining here for our 22nd anniversary. We shared several small dishes and were able to sample several appetizer-like portions. The shrimp and grits and the crab cakes were standouts. Nice ambience in an historic neighborhood not far from beautiful Oakleigh and Washington Square. Our waitress was very attentive. The only negative would be the cramped quarters, which contributes to noise somewhat, but don't let that keep you from dining here. Highly recommended for anyone visiting Mobile.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisetable4oneDined on 8/30/2014My server Travis wrote down how I like my martini, that was a good start. I came in already having reviewed the menu online, but I allowed myself to steered toward the Pontchartrain Catch of the day. I was not disappointed. It was excellent. To top off the dinner I had the bread pudding.Special Features:
- dinelocallyDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food, nice atmosphere, friendly and knowledgeable staff. The entire staff including the wait staff are associated with Culinard culinary institute so your server is intimately familiar with the entire menu and everything that goes into each dish. Great restaurant in a neighborhood setting. Have never had a bad meal and will continue to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.