Kitchen on George
351A George St.
Mobile, AL 36604Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kitchen on George
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kitchenongeorge.com/
- Phone: 251-436-8890x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 5 pm - 10:00pm, Friday lunch 11 am - 2 pm, Friday & Saturday dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm, Sunday: 10:30 am - 9:00 pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carl Tilley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kitchen on George
Kitchen on George is a dynamic part of Mobile’s vibrant local restaurant scene. The restaurants lunch, dinner and brunch menus change seasonally to focus on fresh, locally sourced and regional cuisine featuring fresh Gulf seafood. Located in the charming neighborhood of the Oakleigh Garden Historic District, the restaurant is also close to businesses, local attractions, and a few blocks from many downtown area hotels. Our friendly staff and professional chefs seek to provide guests with a dining experience you'll want to repeat again and again. We have a great selection of wines and cocktails, too! Try our Sunday Brunch, or join us Monday through Friday for our cocktail hour from 4 p.m -- 6 p.m. We're just 4 blocks off Government Street in the heart of Mobile.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Kitchen on George - Best Restaurants in Mobile ›
Kitchen on George reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (73)special occasion (67)romantic (47)great for brunch (27)good for groups (23)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Love the small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014The tempura battered okra and fried artichoke hearts were amazing. Can't go wrong with the bread pudding either. Great service and menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- F2T excels at KOGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Very good mid-week dining experience. The food was very good, fresh, innovative. Signature cocktails are a bit pricey.Special Features:
- Great Dining in MobileOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/8/2014We came upon this gem by chance in a quiet residential neighborhood. It was quite a find -- so good that we went back two nights later. The first light I have the "Alabama Jerk Catch of the Day," which was grouper. On the second visit it was the "Pontchartrain Catch of the Day," which was flounder. Both entrees were sophisticated and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy with all the benefitsAilaDined on 9/7/2014We went for brunch on a Sunday. After reading several reviews about how great the place is, I made reservations for 11:30. We showed up at 11:00 and had no problem being seated immediately. After an amazing bowl of grits, succulent snapper, and ridiculously good bread pudding (it was my friend's birthday, so the waiter brought out his portion with a candle on it!), we spent much less than anticipated and enjoyed the food immensely. For brunch, the Kitchen on George is tops, complete with fantastic, quick service and delicious options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in MobilefoodfrontierVIPDined on 9/6/2014I am in town fairly often from Houston to visit with family. I found Kitchen on George via Open Table and haven't stopped smiling. Have brought family members and been wow'd. Service may at times be a bit slow, but it's not as if the servers are lax - this is a busy place! Even so, Chef accommodated a request to divide a portion so my mother and sister could try a certain dish. Thank you, Chef. The menu is smart, the portions good-size and I was pleased to find an unoaked chardonnay available. The dirty martini wasn't bad either, especially as Zach, (a delightful server with great competence) brought along the extra olives I begged for. Pricing is eminently fair and I love the self-park element!
- Our FavoriteOutdoorDinerDined on 9/5/2014Another great evening at the Kitchen on George. We tried outdoor dining last Friday (early September: warm weather, some visiting flying beasties but no mosquitos) and enjoyed a quiet meal with great food and ambience. Every selection we've tried over four visits have been tasty and the portion size allowed for fun trying new things and sharing items with others at the table. Great wait staff. No other restaurant in Mobile comes close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014Wonderful, could not have found a better spot to celebrate a birthday!Special Features:
- Anniversary surpriseCE3KdinerDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I really enjoyed dining here for our 22nd anniversary. We shared several small dishes and were able to sample several appetizer-like portions. The shrimp and grits and the crab cakes were standouts. Nice ambience in an historic neighborhood not far from beautiful Oakleigh and Washington Square. Our waitress was very attentive. The only negative would be the cramped quarters, which contributes to noise somewhat, but don't let that keep you from dining here. Highly recommended for anyone visiting Mobile.Special Features:
- Pleasant surprisetable4oneDined on 8/30/2014My server Travis wrote down how I like my martini, that was a good start. I came in already having reviewed the menu online, but I allowed myself to steered toward the Pontchartrain Catch of the day. I was not disappointed. It was excellent. To top off the dinner I had the bread pudding.Special Features:
- dinelocallyDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food, nice atmosphere, friendly and knowledgeable staff. The entire staff including the wait staff are associated with Culinard culinary institute so your server is intimately familiar with the entire menu and everything that goes into each dish. Great restaurant in a neighborhood setting. Have never had a bad meal and will continue to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpicyFirstDined on 8/23/2014Everything was a little over spiced. For some in my party, the quality was good and portions were ample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014This was another great experience at Kitchen on George. The food was outstanding and the service awesome. We will return! Highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- thank goodness for this gem!lolli11Dined on 8/19/2014while in mobile for business, i found it challenging to find healthy food options. . . until i found kitchen on george! yay, what a find! my dinner was exceptional! and, the service was so friendly and knowledgeable. cute and lively atmosphere! check it out!Special Features:
- Fantastic Service, Great Food!DukeDined on 8/19/2014I am a foodie and love fresh seafood and cook alot myself, but could learn alot from the Culinary Students in the kitchen with their great sauces that compliment the fish. Had the Red Snapper and friend had the Grouper and both dishes were great with the Snapper winning a close race! Finished with the Chocalate Creme Burlee infused with Cayenne! Who would have thought but they pulled it off! Will be my go to resturant while in the area, sorry Wash House!Special Features:
- A great findDizzyDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant compares very favourably with the best restaurants in New York City. The fresh caught local fish is a must and there were several kinds and preparations to choose from. Serving sizes of the main course are perfect--not too much and beautifully presented. The small plates are also most tasty -- we had oysters and a Caesar salad.Special Features:
- OutstandingStfurrDined on 8/17/2014Outstanding. Wonderful service. Cannot wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014I eat out with some regularity and have enjoyed many fine meals. Out group of four ordered numerous small plates to share, one steak entre, an two desserts. With so any different items ordered, I would expect 1-2 to fall short. However, every dish we had was amazing! I would highly recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of MobileFoodiebinnDined on 8/13/2014Overall, Kitchen on George easily tops the list as best locally owned restaurant in Mobile. Our party of six, received optimal service from Alissa. We were pleased with her knowledge of ingredients for the those with food allergies and the staff's ability to accommodate for us. The creativity and quality of ingredients were excellent! A wide spectrum of choices on the menu allowed everyone to enjoy a wonderful meal. We will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Loves SpicemobdinerDined on 8/13/2014We have visited Kitchen on George several times and have generally found the food to be quite good, with a couple of exceptions. However, the restaurant seems to prepare their recipies for the customer who loves spicy (hot) food. I once had gumbo that was too spicy to eat. But, we always enjoy our visits and especially like their small plate selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully consistentBentheadsVIPDined on 8/11/2014This was our third meal here and we continue to be impressed by the high quality and great consistency of this place given that it is, after all, a culinary school staff. Each dish shows quality and invention without being over the top in flash and complexity. We appreciate the modest portions which allow you to enjoy 2 or 3 small plates if you wish. The service has been very knowledgeable and conscientious and the space if very handsome. On the two occasions when we sat in the main room the din was deafening due to very large groups at one table. We will ask for the bar or outside in the future as the noise is the only thing that detracts from the nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Good Food small portionsMobilediningDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant was nice, the service and food were good, but the menu needs a category for larger portion items. I ordered an appetizer and the blackened snapper but the portions were so small that I actually left hungry. Granted the prices were probably appropriate for the portion size. I enjoyed the food and atmosphere but I would have needed to order 2 entree's in order to have been satisfied.Special Features:
- DeliciousRetiredDined on 8/7/2014This was our second visit and we brought friends. Wine and food were great, and service was excellent. The peach creme brûlée was exceptional.Special Features:
- Wonderful food...Va66Dined on 8/6/2014Had dinner last night with my sister to celebrate her birthday. The Tempura Okra was awesome. I had the Goat Cheese salad & my sis had the Crab & Corn Chowder. Also awesome. We both had fish for our entre. Snapper was okay but the Ponchatrain Flounder was the best flounder dish I have ever eaten. The noise level was a little loud. Only complaint was that I asked if they had any dessert wines and our waiter said he thought they had one. What I was brought was not a wine but an after dinner liqueur....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have enjoyed every mealGardenGirlDined on 8/5/2014This is my third time here and I've enjoyed it every time. They don't throw meat in everything, so they are good for me who eats fish, but no meat and they also have vegan and meat dishes. Expect to pay a little more than most restaurants, but you will leave happy. Our group of four ordered several side dishes and a main dish and we shared everything. Many people do this and the restaurant accommodates it. When I eat here, I feel like I'm back in Europe. They know how to creatively combine flavors to create a pleasing taste.Special Features:
- Good food by toooo loud.RandLKDined on 8/5/2014The food was tasty and well seasoned. Nice variety. Great service. My wife had to send back one of her dishes because it was still cold. But the noise level in the back room was unbelievable. We had a table for two and had to yell at each other to try to have a conversation. It ruined what could have been a real nice date night for us. The creme brulee was also still cold.Special Features:
- 3-course MondaysangelnalabamaDined on 8/4/2014Had a truey lovely 3 course meal (with wine) Monday night. The chilled peach soup was amazing!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerOTuserDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic service (thanks to Phil), fantastic dinner. Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Service and tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Everything was wonderful! Amazing attentive staff and incredible foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best!sheriDined on 7/28/2014Everything about Kitchen on George delights me! The menu is fabulous and I really have too many choices that work well for me. I adore the small plates. The service is always fabulous. I love that it is a quaint perfect little gem for adult dining. AND... I love that it's open on Monday!Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This was my 2nd visit and was even more impressed with the place. Service was excellent; menu of foods was outstanding. Look forward to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handled our group with graceMelvinJreviewsDined on 7/25/2014The food was great! The staff (our waiter was amazing) handled our small group of seven with ease and was able to intuit when to give information. Thanks for a lovely meal. I only say it is noisy because the next table had tired children. Other reviewers may say there was noise because of our table! Lol!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Steak dish was a little salty, but overall the food was very good. Tempura Fried Okra is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- staff & food excellentARC40Dined on 7/22/2014Our waiter William was so enthusiastic and his knowledge of the menu was outstanding,we eat there on a regular basis, and this time had a visitor from North Carolina , she loved the meal, the location and the staff, and asked to come back on her next visit. Altogether a great experieceSpecial Features:
- Excellent Dining in MobileStevePBGDined on 7/20/2014When researching where to eat in Mobile, Kitchen on George kept coming up. As ex-New Yorkers, we set our bar high for restaurants. We were not disappointed. This is an adult restaurant for people who want to dine. The menu was interesting with many options. The wine list was short but had many choices at a reasonable price, and the service very professional. The noise level allowed for conversation. If we are in Mobile again, we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too IntimateGeo588Dined on 7/19/2014Food was Fantastic... Service was great! The only drawback from the dining experience was the lack of privacy. I felt like I could hug the patron beside me. The tables are so close together. It was really difficult to hold a conversation. Everyone is competing to be heard. Overall... it was a great dining experience and I would go back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen on GeorgeLloydDined on 7/18/2014This nice little gem of a restaurant is located in midtown Mobile in a quaint neighborhood. A teaching outlet for Virginia College Culinary school, the food and service is always top notch. Highly recommnended.Special Features:
- DeliciousannzaDined on 7/17/2014Kitchen on George was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend it! I found it on Trip Advisor as I had not been to Mobile for an overnight stay in years. I enjoyed everything I had. The only thing that I found unnecessary was the seasoning in the olive oil as the rest of the meal had so many wonderful flavors.Special Features:
- Does not disappointFoodieKatDined on 7/15/2014This was our second time at Kitchen on George. We dined there around the same time last year as we were passing through to Florida. After our spectacular meal last year, we made sure to stop in again. It was again a delectable meal. Specifically, we tried the artichoke hearts, which had been fried in tempura batter. Delicious to share as they are rich. The tasso ham corn chowder was so good, my husband was tempted (though he did not), to take a piece of the dense bread and scrape the bowl with it. We again got the shrimp and grits (just like last time). We requested extra shrimp as we wanted a piece of shrimp with each bite of the grits. I am not a grits fan, but these are sooo good. The blackened grouper..excellent. We'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unchained BeautyJohnVIPDined on 7/11/2014It is nice to see that free standing, non chain owned places like this can be run efficiently and provide an excellent product. This is one of the best dining encounters I have experienced in Mobile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st TimerGourmetGeezerDined on 7/10/2014We were smart to make reservations. Seated immediately. Waiter was very friendly and attentive. Tables are close to each other and the noise level was much higher than I would have liked. Appetizer was salmon on a bed of greens with pears and dried cranberries. Excellent choice. Main dish was Pontchartrain catch of the day (flounder). Enjoyed the dish but felt like the portion of fish was small. Had cheesecake for dessert and it was excellent. I plan to return and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.