Kitchen on Cary
1329 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kitchen on Cary
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kitchenoncary.com/
- Phone: (804) 643-1315
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2 pm Dinner: 4:30 pm - 10 pm
Friday Lunch: 11:30 am - 2 pm Dinner: 4:30 pm - 11 pm
Saturday: Dinner: 4:30 pm - 11 pm
Sunday Brunch 10:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Hughes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Tuesday's we offer a 3 Course Wine & Dinner Pairing Menu for $30 in addition to our regular menu. Dinner Pairing Menu changes weekly.
Thursday's is Unplugged & Uncorked! The Acoustic sounds of Richmond Legendary Guitarist Thomas Coleman & 1/2 Priced Select Bottles of Wine from 4:30 - 10 pm
A word from Kitchen on Cary
Located in the Historic Shockoe Slip in downtown Richmond, Kitchen on Cary’s menu consists of a wide variety of local regionally sourced, contemporary American food, which guests can enjoy in small plates or bowls or as larger, traditional entrées.Continued
WE VALIDATE PARKING FOR DINNER (see additional details)
WE VALIDATE PARKING FOR DINNER (see additional details)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Kitchen on Cary - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Kitchen on Cary reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (17)romantic (16)special occasion (14)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, great staff but has some hiccups...TheBaronessVIPDined on 11/24/2014The food was good....not exceptional but good. Seems like they just need to find their niche in what they will specialize in....the gnocchi lobster and cheese was really good, the duck won tons were mediocre, and the seafood pasta was good but the shrimp were tiny and the past was underdone. The cheesecake was amazing though. The location at the corner or Cary and 14th has been plagued with restaurants that don't seem to make it but maybe with the new hotel there they will have more luck. The restaurant was practically empty but it was a holiday week...and they did not have a bartender...the staff that was there were lovely and very attentive. Allan the waiter is great...the decor is nice, sparse but lovely and the old photos of Richmond are divine and loads of fun to spot what you might recognize....the specialty cocktails on the menu sounded great but the one I ordered was very spicy and not really great....with a few "kinks" to work out this place could be a really great local haunt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in RichmondAngieVDined on 11/22/2014This was my first time in Richmond, and I was so pleased to find a restaurant that sourced locally. On top of that, they work with the local university to train students in culinary arts. Love a business with a mission! We ordered the ahi tuna, truffle chips, and duck wontons to start. Delicious! I ordered the blackened fish tacos, which were made with salmon. Not what I usually find in a fish taco, but it was good. My brother really enjoyed the chicken two ways. We shared a tiramisu trifle that was excellent. Service was friendly, fast and helpful. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not flexibleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014The two person party included a vegetarian. We arrived around 6:15 to an empty restaurant. They were out of the one vegetarian entree on their menu. Waitress didn't offer any alternatives other than pointing to the salads. We asked her to see if the chef could make something for us, and were told no. Needless to say, we finished our beers and salads, and went looking for dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Service was good. Food left a lot to be desired. Only exception was the oyster appetizer which was phenomenal. Stay away from the crab cakes unless you like cat food, way undercooked and ice cold.
- first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/7/2014food was great. oysters wonderful. shrimp and grits were outstanding. will be soonSpecial Features:
- Favorite Lunch SpotRLN1302Dined on 11/5/2014Kitchen on Cary has been a favorite lunch spot of mine since it opened. I like the affiliation with the Culinard and have never been disappointed in the meal or service. Check it out if you haven't yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfing my wife's tastesJohnnCDined on 11/1/2014Kitchen on Cary was one of several restaurants my wife, a New York City architect, wanted to try when she was last in town. With our friend, Jeanne (also an architect) we made our way to KoC. Wines to start were several tastings before picking a very nice and balanced Merlot. Appetizers included the Shrimp and Grits, the Oysters and the Wonton. All greatly appreciated. The crab cake, we were told, was about 95% crab. Good, but oh that pesky 5%. The seared Ahi was quite tasty. Jean had a dish with Udon noodles, but thought the noodles a bit sweet. The management was attentive to our comments. Our wait staff was on top of her game. Atmosphere on a Saturday eve built as we ate, but was never over powering. A power lunch place for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodjoaniebDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the fish tacos and the slip burger. My strawberry mojito was yummy, as well! The staff was super friendly. Our only major disappointment was my husband's drink. He had 2 bourbon's @ $9 a piece (would have been $11, if it wasn't Happy Hour). Both drinks were filled to the top with ice (not even enough bourbon to fill a shot glass). I would definitely go back...I will have to convince my husband!Special Features:
- Decent food, nice staffMookieNYCVIPDined on 10/11/2014We're from New York City and real foodies so it's always hard to find food we love when traveling to smaller cities. Kitchen on Cary is a decent restaurant, nothing to get too excited about but the food was okay and the service very good. The salads were way over-dressed and the salmon a bit overcooked but otherwise we were pleased to find a restaurant that was more than edible...
- Excellent dinner venue!MaggieDined on 10/8/2014The food and service were excellent! We all had different entrees and it was all very tasty and well prepared. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful dinner,FlldinersVIPDined on 10/1/2014As I have experienced in the past, this restaurant does not displease. I brought my neighbors and they all loved it. Great salads, very fresh ingredients, wonderful entrees. I highly recommend the tuna - delightful!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerJohn3VIPDined on 9/25/2014Made our reservation to celebrate a birthday. Very pleasant dinning experience. Food was great, served at a perfect pace, not rushed, but served hot and as ordered. Nice menu with unique choices, but nothing over the top so everyone found something they wanted. Our server was awesome, very attentive. While the wine list was not extensive, it was very good and priced well. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Great food all the way. Nice and quiet during the week.Special Features:
- A wonderful dinnerFlldinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been here numerous times and the food and service is consistently great. This has become one of my favorite places to eat. You must try it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good.CarskiVIPDined on 8/26/2014Went to the Kitchen for the first time with a group of colleagues. Very nice wine list, skimpy appetizers, food was good. Not sure if we will return.Special Features:
- frankDined on 8/25/2014food was great but a limited choice, berry cobbler was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Downtown DelightHungryItalianDined on 8/23/2014The ambiance is great from the minute you enter the open oversized doorway. Steps from downtown, the menu is full of flavor from the appetizers through the desserts. Portions are perfect and leave you satisfied but not stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu.ckalicia55VIPDined on 8/16/2014Nothing terribly fussy and not one dish that we tried was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!JjsczDined on 8/16/2014We were new to town, picked Kitchen on Cary based on reviews and location. Great choice. Felt like newly opened? Good food! Not a big menu, but nice range of choices. Well prepared - Fish Tacos excellent (but I would pickle the cabbage!). Home made chips w truffle oil and blue cheese were wonderful. Noise level could use some toning down (add some soft wall /ceiling surfaces.). And the bar is not particularly stocked w choices... But overall, a very nice find! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost stands out...but not quitephineasfinnDined on 8/15/2014Had a birthday dinner with my wife who had heard good things about the restaurant. Enjoyed fish tacos that could've used more blackened tuna. Shrimp and grits were tasty. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Had read so-so reviews about dessert so went elsewhere for that. It's a perfectly nice place, but the menu is full of staples that you order at restaurants if you're not sure about more adventurous options. Kitchen on Cary could use some of those more adventurous options...but provides a perfectly enjoyable night out all the same.
- I continue to be wowed!FlldinersVIPDined on 8/1/2014Another fabulous dinner. I took a group of six and everyone loved their entrees. Komondors to this great place. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Another spectacular mealFlldinersVIPDined on 7/31/2014Put this on your list! I have been several times and I have had nothing but consistent, delicious food! Sean, the manager, runs a great establishment. I will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the Kitchen on Cary reviews archive.
- Good but.....Rfg2obxDined on 7/25/2014Good food but service is still lacking. Group I went with has been there before. Experience has been service was slow each time - last time we had to wait almost 10 minutes for payments to be returned. Time before, group had to wait almost entire lunch hour for food and then one person who ordered veggie sandwich was served roast beef sandwich. They enjoyed sandwich but would have preferred what they ordered.Special Features:
- Enjoyable Mealluv2eatDined on 7/18/2014This restaurant supports the culinary school and uses local produce when available. It is a great location. It is not large, but does have the capability of moving tables together for a larger group. I didn't have wine or look at the wine list. There is a nice beer selection. We had a group of four and tried three different meals. All were very good. I would eat here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- debber44Dined on 7/17/2014Lovely place, enjoyed it so much! My friends are gluten-free and they had a gluten free menu...wonderful!Special Features:
- DisappointingRVAWmVIPDined on 7/17/2014Reviews had been good. Tried with another couple (we're young 70s). Pleased on arrival finding live guitar playing. Noise level made it impossible to hear however. Ceiling sound proofing would certainly help. Menu was very limited, one step above bar grub. Wait staff was attentive yet somewhat aloof. Wine list adequate, however bill presented showed wrong wine from what was ordered and delivered (double the price for error bottle shown of course). Final insult came at parking lot (not restaurant problem I don't think) when coupon was not honored at exit. This represents the general problem utilizing downtown Richmond usually excellent restaurant scene = available PARKING poor & expensive. All told, just made for disappointing evening.
- Another wonderful experienceFlldinersVIPDined on 7/16/2014I had had dinner last week and it was very good. I decided to take a friend back this week and the experience was equally as wonderful. All of the food was done to perfection and the service was very good. Kudos to Sean, the manager, for running a consistently good restaurant!Special Features:
- Lovely 90th birthday dinnerWluv2dineDined on 7/16/2014My family was looking for a venue to celebrate our father's 90th birthday. We wanted space that provided relative privacy and quiet so it would be easier for all to engage in conversation and hear one another. There were 14 dining. The staff was excellent! They worked with us, provided a lovely space, service was excellent, cuisine varied and interesting, enjoyed by all. It was also excellent value. We have dined at many restaurants in Richmond offering up similar cuisine at much higher prices, and none of they more tasty and satisfying. I highly recommend Kitchen on Cary and will return soon, as will others from our family I feel certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visitTnag86VIPDined on 7/12/2014Loved Kitchen on Cary. A friend recommended it and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An incredible dinnerFlldinersVIPDined on 7/11/2014Wow. Was I blown away with my visit!! Service was good and the food was spectacular. I had the tuna and it was cooked to perfection. My salad was enough for two people so split a salad when you go.Special Features:
- Tasty Brunch Spotklrose00Dined on 7/6/2014We visited Kitchen on Cary for brunch and they didn't disappoint. I got the seasonal vegetable frittata which was delicious, but the highlight was the watermelon mojito which was perfectly refreshing on a warm summer morning. The bartender even gave us the recipe so we could make them at home.Special Features:
- Pretty good but needs some workjb23225Dined on 7/3/2014Service was superbly attentive, knowledgeable and professional. The food...needs improvement. The burger, although uniquely constructed, was overdone...for both of us. The house made ravioli too thick and actually too,tough to cut with a fork along its edges; and the sauce lacking in flavor. On Thursdays, they have select wines half price by the bottle; the selections were great and the wines quite good. Will return and give it another shot after a few weeks.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014I found this restaurant online and read some pretty good things. There aren't enough photos. It's not quite fine dinning but it's definitely up there, and the price is respectable. For being affiliated with a culinary school, I would have expected more choices. I would definitely go back again if the menu is expanded or updated choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, needs ambiance makeoverSammyrvaDined on 6/28/2014We loved the food, shrimp and grits, and seared ahi tuna was literally outstanding. We are sticklers for ambiance and it wasn't amazing. Not many people in there so it was quite and awkward music. Overall just for the food it is worth the time and money. It was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot in ShockoeJoanieBDined on 6/22/2014We met some friends for brunch and were completely pleased with our experience at Kitchen on Cary. Our food was great--I had the biscuits and gravy and the gravy was on point and tasted great; the biscuits were fresh, clearly made in house, and very flavorful. The staff was also wonderful. They were great about keeping our drinks filled and were timely with appetizers and entrees. We were there to catch up with friends, and the staff, while attentive, did not hover or rush us out of the door. Would definitely go back and have already recommended Kitchen on Cary to friends. Can't wait to go back and try them for dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedRobsDined on 6/14/2014Friendly, welcoming atmosphere, easy parking in a deck across the street ( and they validate parking!). Understated, trendy decor; great open air feel. Service was friendly and attentive with helpful suggestions. Great cocktails, nice wine list, and food was great. The only negative was a flatbread that sounded enticing ( may have been a special) but fell short. It was bland and dry, not crispy at all as you'd expect. Everything else was very good. Notables included shrimp and grits, fish of the day with saffron rice and pinapple relish, seafood pasta. The fried oyster app was very good and desserts were a hit. Salads are huge. We will definitely be back and have recommended it already. Not sure why this little gem isn't busier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkPeteyJDined on 6/12/2014This place is really just ok. We went on a Thursday evening and it was pretty dead, only like 2 other tables in the restaurant. Big plus, they had a guy playing live music, very nice! They also have half price wine on Thursdays so we got a nice bottle for $25; score! The food was consistently good around the table, but none of the entrees really wowed anyone in my party. Great space, nice ambiance. I would give it anther try.
- Good food with room for improvementspeck13Dined on 6/6/2014We enjoyed our dining experience recently at Kitchen on Cary. Food was interesting, creative, tasty (the truffle chips are really worth a trip) and offered at a terrific price point but a few dishes had room for improvement. The cioppino was too salty for our tastes and the chicken two ways- while good was diminished by an overly sweet pan sauce. On a positive note, the tuna was cooked perfectly and the oysters were a stand out. The kitchen easily and agreeably accommodated a request to make a small plate into a large/entree plate. We were able to taste a glass of wine before ordering - always a nice touch. Parking is easy.Special Features:
- 2nd Visit -Still Good!LoriBeeDined on 6/3/2014I returned to Kitchen on Cary for my Anniversary dinner. Again the food was beautifully prepared with fresh ingredients. This time I had the fish tacos. Although I love gourmet food I have difficulty eating rare meat and fish. They cooked the tuna to perfection for me when asked and the flavor was delicious! My husband had the Shrimp pasta and after tasting a bite I wanted his food as well. We shared the fabulously tangy key lime cheesecake for dessert. My husband had the 20 yr old port. This restaurant is not expensive. The portions are satisfying but not overwhelming. Service is attentive but not cloying. I will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableHollyTDined on 5/29/2014I have been here several times and I am never disappointed. The food, service and atmosphere is such a delight. Alan was our server and he was excellent! The food is creative and the portions are generous. We really enjoyed the live acoustic guitar...nice touch. Thank you for another great experience! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.