Kitchen at Union Square
200 W Martin Luther King Blvd
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Kitchen at Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kitchenatunionsquare.com/
- Phone: 423-634-9172x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am-5pm
Friday & Saturday 5pm-10pm
Sunday Brunch 10am-3pm
Bar Hours: Monday-Friday 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Gauthier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Book our private dining for your special event.
A word from Kitchen at Union Square
Kitchen At Union Square is a welcome part of Chattanooga's vibrant local restaurant scene. The restaurant lunch and dinner menus change seasonally to focus on fresh, locally sourced and regional cuisine. Located in the Tallan Building in the heart of downtown Chattanooga, the restaurant is close to businesses, local attractions, and within walking distance from many downtown area hotels. Our friendly staff and professional chefs seek to provide guests with a dining experience you'll want to repeat again and again. Private dining is also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Kitchen at Union Square - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
Kitchen at Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)special occasion (10)good for groups (10)great for brunch (9)romantic (8)neighborhood gem (7)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- GreatcdojanetVIPDined on 8/29/2014We love this restaurant and are so glad they are building a following. Wonderful food and service.Special Features:
- Brunch FunfoodiegirlDined on 8/10/2014We went to the Kitchen at Union Square for Sunday brunch and had excellent free parking on the street. It is down a flight of steps and one side of the restaurant is all glass with a bright landscaped view that is very pleasant. We were greeted at the door by a pleasant young man and seated immediately. The bloody mary bar was unexpected and delightful! They have a make-you-own bloody mary option, which was great! And, it was the best fried chicken I have ever eaten! Our server was excellent and the prices here are great value!Special Features:
- THis won't be open long....jenniferDined on 8/9/2014From the minute you walk in, the ambiance is lacking. We came on a Saturday night at prime eating time and were the only seated table. There were a few guests at the bar. The waitress said this was a typical Saturday crowd??? Bad sign. The food was really bad. Bad flavors, cooked wrong, just all around poor. For sure won't be back.
- Always Great!chattfoodrocksDined on 8/8/2014Kitchen at Union Square is always so, so good. The presentation of the food is as amazing as the flavor. For a foodie like myself, I love getting to try different cuts of beef or new ingredients at a lower cost than some of the more expensive restaurants in town. The culinary school does a fine job of putting out great food and service. I have to also mention that Eve, the general manager, is wonderful. She remembers our names and makes sure we have a fantastic dining experience, every single time. Go support this restaurant and all the wonderful people that work there...you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Be sure to stop!!!!DavePVIPDined on 8/4/2014Stopped in here on a Monday night and apparently the restaurant scene in Chattanooga is nonexistent on a Monday. So glad we picked this place, we were treated wonderfully and the food was nothing short of spectacular! The service was great and being one of only a few in the restaurant they certainly stepped up the service,mi would go back again in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- brunchYvonne710tnDined on 8/3/2014This was our 1st time at this restaurant. My son is a culinary student at Virginia College and we wanted to try it before he worked there. The food was excellent &unique. The service was also excellent. The chef even made sure we felt welcome. We would certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!PittsburgherVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a great meal here earlier this year, decided to try Kitchen again. Very disappointing, but maybe I chose the wrong thing. Location is good, but the blown-in ceiling is depressing! Staff is friendly but need serious coaching on professional demeanor & presentation skills. My entree--chicken 2ways--tasted like leftovers, cold and dry, and the sides were sad, especially considering the fresh bounty currently available all around town. I will probably try it once more -- I hope there will be improvement!
- Fun evening with FriendsButchDined on 6/28/2014Made a reservation for 7 people. Then raised the number to 12 shortly before arriving. The staff was very accommodating. The food is good and the menu has good variety - something for everyone. They don't have a big wine list, but they do have something for every taste. Great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placecdojanetVIPDined on 6/28/2014Every time we go there I try to order something different. It's difficult to bypass the local Trout and the Union Oysters. I've also ordered the braised ribs (which are wonderful) on more than one occasion. We love this place!!Special Features:
- Will Be BackseekerDined on 6/20/2014Very seldom do you find a place that exceeds your expectations. This one did.Special Features:
- Delicious!MaryRDined on 6/18/2014Good food, friendly service. Plenty of room for large groups and some outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Needs helpHungrymomVIPDined on 6/15/2014I know it's a training restaurant but seriously needs help! Waitress didn't know how to do simple tasks like refill coffees etc offered eggs as side w omelette :(
- Awesome meal!Pdonald2Dined on 6/14/2014This was our first visit to The Kitchen but we will definitely be back! Drink specials were delightful and the food was everything we could have asked for. We were a party of six so were able to taste several appetizers and entrees. Loved them all! You really can't go wrong. Noise level was perfect and we had a view of the kitchen from our table, which we always enjoy. Save room for dessert, especially if they have the meringue cookies! So glad to have restaurants of this quality in our hometown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!MariettaMooreVIPDined on 6/14/2014Food is not your usual fare and well prepared! Our white wine was delayed due to a problem with the restaurant's wine chiller... but, the Manager brought over complimentary presecco cocktails until our wine was ready. She checked on us several time during our visit. Liked the food and liked the service. We will be back!Special Features:
- It's Getting ThereTennBobVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food was good, if culinary schoolish (a salmon and brie salad w/ lavender vinaigrette?). Dishes were well executed. The service, however, is lacking, as the wait staff appears to be untrained. Certainly they were attentive enough, but they knew nothing of how to interact with a table. The vibe, if you get on the side of the bar closest to the kitchen, seems pretty cool. If you get on the far side, where we were, it is deadly quiet, with no ambiance at all. Also, the table had nothing on it at all, not even a salt shaker. There was no bread or anything brought out either. No wine list, only specialty drinks. Good cooking can get you so far, but people eating out expect a fuller experience. Parking opportunities also not clear.Special Features:
- Great great great!Foodie10Dined on 6/7/2014My boyfriend and I are from GA. We went to Chattanooga for our anniversary, we found this restaurant on groupon and went ahead and reserved a spot. Never in a million years did I imagine how my experience would have gone. The restaurant was beautiful, staff was super friendly, and the food was amazing. My boyfriend had the Teres major, his words were "I haven't had good food like this in a while." Great place! Will definitely go back when we are in Chattanooga again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014It's a nice place overall however highly over priced. The food is mediocre and they are trying way to hard to be fine dining.
- Excellent! Our new Fav!!!TNDOCDined on 6/6/2014Good was great and timely, and service was excellent. Drinks were delicious, and I'd recommend the Moscow Mule to anyone, tt was outstanding! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PotentialNew2NoogaDined on 5/31/2014Food was very good bordering on excellent. Presentation was nice. Menu was enticing. Wait staff was friendly but lacked some simple fundamentals. Had to ask for water ... then they brought one glass of it; appetizer (called a "share") came with no app plates (two people digging into one bowl of shrimp and grits got a little messy); coffee came with cream, sugar and no spoons to bring them all together. None of this made our dining experience unpleasant, but it was certainly lacking something. There was also a loud wedding reception who were spilling into the bar area for shots and "woo-hoos!" It was actually mildly entertaining ... bottom line this place has potential so I'll check back in 6-12 months. EZ Bistro and Terra Mae need not fret.
- The following 45 reviews are from the Kitchen at Union Square reviews archive.
- Everyone should eat hereagoonattahcDined on 5/23/2014Awesome food, dessert and mimosas. Me and my girlfriend decided to give this place a try before Nightfall and I am glad we did. Our experience was great, you could tell that the chef cared a lot about his guests as he walked to each table to make sure everything turned out well. I had their burger, my girlfriend had the Picket's trout, both were wonderful. It's definitely a hidden gem, I encourage everyone to give it a try as it won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placecdojanetVIPDined on 5/23/2014We have been to The Kitchen numerous times. Every time we go I am so glad to see their customer base is growing because I don't want them to go the way of previous restaurants in this location. The food is fantastic and creative, while the service is excellent. The braised ribs are not to be missed. This visit I tried the local Pickett Farm trout - wonderful. A place that does not overcook fish!! My husband can't get enough of the salmon! A must visit if you haven't been there.Special Features:
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Wonderful Mother's Day brunch. Even the non-foodies in our party were impressed!Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Our party of four ordered an appetizer and three diffent entrees. Each item was delicious. We will definitely return. The wine list is limited. One note: we had a problem with making a reservation through open table. I wanted to make a reservation for six at 6:00p.m. Open Table showed I could not get a table for six until 9:30p.m. However, it was obvious that they could have easily accommodated a party of six at my preferred time. We brought this to managements attention. They said they immediately fixed the problem with Open Table. However, I suggest you contact the restaurant directly if Open Table can't accomodate your request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedJHMBrookfieldVIPDined on 5/6/2014While visiting Chattanooga, I came upon this little gem tucked away around the corner from my hotel. It was a Tuesday night, so not very busy. The server was wonderful - very attentive. I love the farm to table concept, and was so happy to receive fresh local fish and vegetables. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Kitchen at Union Square SUPERB!MelissaDined on 5/3/2014The service was on-point and well trained, very warm and knowledgeable. The appetizers were beautiful and tasty and fresh. Loved the ricotta-pea bruschetta! Everyone ate every bite! The food was beautifully plated and of gourmet quality - and the prices were so affordable! The space is definitely unusual which makes this a hidden gem. The chef stopped by our table as did the manager. We did not feel rushed and were able to enjoy good conversation and a leisurely meal. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we tried this restaurant!ScooterVIPDined on 5/3/2014We were very pleased with our dinner here! The goat cheese terrine was quite delicious. The trout was absolutely wonderful! Our wine, the Argentinian Torrontes wine was one of the best wines we have ever tasted. Our server was friendly and eager to please without being too heavy-handed. Appreciated the visit by the chef and the general manager. We hope this restaurant succeeds! Only complaint was looking out at the large grey dividing wall. Maybe a nice mural could be painted there?? It was kind of a depressing view. Other than that this was a wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen is rocking Chattanoogaluv2dineVIPDined on 4/21/2014The new seasonal menu is excellent, and is the notable wine list. It features many wines not often found in a Chattanooga restaurant, including several excellent French whites. We started with the Union Qysters, and followed with the Braised Short Rib, Sweet Potato Batons, Roasted Vegetables, Coke Bouillon and locally sourced Pickett's Farm Trout, Parmesan Risotto, Local Seasonal Vegetables, Crab Meat, Buerre Blanc. Mmmmmm, FANTASTIC. This is a neighborhoow gem that knows how to provide great customer service and a dining experience that I want to repeat. I plan to enjoy the brunch next time so I can get the full flavor of this outstanding restaurant. I especially loved the cosy indoor outdoor vibe the restaurant has. It was a great dinner!Special Features:
- Going to be a regularjadavisDined on 4/19/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary, found the on Urban Spoon, booked reservation on Open Table. I only work 2 blocks from this place and didn't know it existed. Really cool atmosphere, superior service! We had the oyster appetizer, French onion soup, hanger steak entree and the crab meat stuffed trout. All the food was exceptional. The wine was perfect for the meal. This will definitely be one of our go to places! They also have a neat little bar so we'll give that a try too.Special Features:
- First timeMyfavoriteplaceDined on 4/12/2014Always like to support new places to eat. Menu small but great selection and variety. Crab cake was crispy with minimal filler, flash fried ahi tuna w/cucumber salad was excellent, vinaigrette had sufficient acid to balance, short ribs excellent, mash excellent, roasted vegetables so-so. Service very spotty, one waitress tried hard but did not have a good understanding of the food she was serving nor knowledge of wines available. Overheard other waitress description of dishes which made me want to order. Will go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favoriteMaryDined on 4/12/2014The staff is wonderful, the food was excellent, the restaurant decor is perfect. I cannot say enough good things about this spot.Special Features:
- Love this place!cdojanetVIPDined on 4/5/2014We have been here numerous times and have enjoyed everything we have ever ordered. The oysters are a "must"! The braised ribs are fantastic (and tender). Salmon is cooked to perfection. I hope they are here for a long time! Have recommended this to quite a few people and they enjoyed it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeLLDCDined on 3/25/2014The food was great, the service was great, we had a nice evening with friends. Give it a try!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy SurpriseFuntompDined on 3/15/2014I booked a dinner here sight unseen but seeing some good reviews. Though it was not as crowded early on a Saturday night as I would have thought, the food was creatively done, delicious, and well presented. The waitstaff was terrific, and I am a tough grader on that kind of thing. I would call this place a hidden gem. They are in a business district and probably do the majority of tier business on weekdays. We were treated really well and I would recommend them to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Very Good10ecgalVIPDined on 3/15/2014My wife and I have been here many times now. We have our favorites-- burger, spinach dip, smoked crab cake, onion soup. We will try different things in the future. We're sure we won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who's in charge?not1strodeoDined on 3/2/20142nd time we've been. Food is very good (though menu limited). When you finally get food it is excellent. Service 1st time was good but today was terrible. You would think the waitress had never worked in a restaurant. Staff disorganized, no one seems in charge. If the staff are culinary students they need to learn how to run a restaurant as well as food preparation. Need a host or hostess ready to greet and seat. Seemed like they could only wait on, place order, prepare order one table at a time. Everyone around us said the same. Also, need to decide if they want to be a sports bar (TVs with sports on) or a fine dining experience. Again, food is good. When I got home I had an email saying they had cancelled my reservation. Says it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchcriticatlargeDined on 3/2/2014We--a party of four--had a great Sunday brunch. It was our first time at the restaurant, and we found it to be a very enjoyable time. The food was very good, great service, and the mimosas are super reasonable. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kitchen at Union Square.OldManDined on 2/26/2014The restaurant was highly recommended by a friend. The menu was certainly unique for the area. The food was prepared expertly and served with an excellent presentation. We went on a Wednesday Nite and thoroughly enjoyed the full experience. The wait staff was attentive, answered all our question, and were not intrusive. Choice of wines was OK. The desert was wonderful. The Chef came out of the kitchen to make sure that we were satisfied, It was great to talk with him. The background music was very relaxing, very old school, and nice. We usually eat early (around 5 or 6) so the place was not crowded at all. The bar was doing a thriving business, customers young and old. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good and ofBigLouDined on 2/25/2014Food was very good and of the quality I had hoped for. We had a table of 5 and all but one enjoyed food. The service was very poor for such a high quality place. Our server did not explain that the fish feature was actually a sandwich when going over the specials -was not at all what was expected. 4 of us were served at the same time but number 5 had to wait several minutes before receiving her dish, poor execution. There were only two other tables seated in the whole place so I'm not sure what the issues were. I suspect that this place will not be there in a few months. For the high quality of the food, I would expect better from the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this PlacecdojanetVIPDined on 2/22/2014We have been here several times and absolutely love the food. It is a part of the Virginia College Culinary School. The food is wonderful and the service terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Very Good!10ecgalVIPDined on 2/22/2014This was our fourth visit. There were four of us. We started with the spinach dip app-- delicious! Not like the spinach dip you get at most restaurants. You can tell it's freshly made. One onion soup, two burgers, braised short rib, and hanger steak-- everything oh so good! If you haven't tried this place yet, what are you waiting for?Special Features: