4140 Morena Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchen4140.com/
- Phone: 8584834140x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French American
- Executive Chef: Kurt Metzger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Kitchen 4140
Chef Kurt and team are forerunners of regional Americana cuisine with a twist. Quality produce and herbs are sourced from their on site Organic Garden. The Kitchen is where the passion begins. Serving Lunch, Dinner and Sunday Brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kitchen 4140 reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (30)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (16)romantic (11)good for groups (11)special occasion (10)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Yummiest smoked salmon sandwichSalmonloverDined on 9/18/2014We were there for lunch during the week. I expected slivers of smoked salmon, as you usually find with lox. This sandwich was huge! It came on a long, crunchy roll with big chunks of fresh salmon, seasoned perfectly. The avocado creme friache and herb aioli in the sandwich was perfectly matched to the salmon flavors. Even the steak-sized fries were yummy with just enough seasoning. We were rushed a bit even though the restaurant was not filled, though the service was very good.Special Features:
- Great food and comfy, homey feelRiversideFlyerDined on 8/29/2014We stumbled upon Kitchen 4140 via a very popular social media site and are glad we did. The food was fantastic, as was the service. This is the kind of restaurant where you can go and relax in the outdoor seating area and enjoy one of their specialty dishes while enjoying the San Diego weather. A bonus for any family with small children: the servers went out of their way to help when our 2-year old and 8-month old started to get a little loud and impatient (thanks, guys).Special Features:
- Foodie GemAgnieszkaDined on 8/22/2014Loved the freshness of the food and variety of unique ingredients.Special Features:
- Great farm to table mealskb722Dined on 8/20/2014The good at Kitchen 4140 is innovative and flavored wonderfully! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014The food was good but the service was quite slow, which is tough to accommodate during a mid-week lunch when members of our party had to return to work.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is so good ....frenchfoodieDined on 8/7/2014... It was difficult to make a choice. I love this restaurant. My Ahi tuna Nicoise salad was excellent. The ice tea special was refreshing and our waiter was attentive, friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Fresh and beautifulSammmomDined on 8/1/2014This is reasonably priced and beautifully presented local food. Knowledgeable servers who go out of their way to help. Lovely little spot.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints UsPunkinsMamaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had another lovely meal here last week with friends who were first -timers. Everyone was pleased. Our waiter was super friendly & attentive. We brought our own bottle of Bordeaux which we enjoyed for reasonable corkage of $20. We greatly enjoyed the Brussels sprouts & also the Spanish Chicken to start. My seared Ahi was perfectly done as was my husband's rib eye. We enjoyed delicious Gelato (high marks for the salted caramel). Overall, a lovely meal that we were very grateful to have within a mile of our home. A real find that is a bright spot on the otherwise bleak landscape of north Morena Blvd!Special Features:
- Great Place!WonderwomanDined on 7/26/2014I've been here for brunch and dinner several times. I've never been disappointed. The staff, ambience, service and food is great! I took a friend of mine for the first time on her birthday and she LOVED it! I recommend the restaurant highly. They are pet-friendly, which we don't have enough restaurants that cater to pets. So worth trying.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience hereIndigoDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I have been eating at Kitchen 4140 since the restaurant opened. The food is always good but the service is erratic, especially when they are busy during brunch. This past Sunday, we dined with a group of 7. We were seated promptly and the drinks came pretty quickly. Then the disaster started. We waited over 40 minutes for our food. No one checked on us in the mean time or even tried to apologized for the delay. We had to stopped servers to get ice tea refills and even that took a while to get. At the end of the meal, because we had a party of 7, we were automatically charged 20% service. I am appalled that after such horrendous experience that the restaurant had to nerve to charge 20% service charge.
- Great findjax3217VIPDined on 7/19/2014Kitchen 4140 is a hidden gem. As soon as you arrive you get the scent of herbs growing in their garden. My friend and I had the NY steak which was delicious, my wife had the short ribs and my friend's wife the branzino. Everyone was uniformly pleased. Parking was easy and the waitress very affable. Only disappointment is they were out of the wine we wanted but she suggested a substitute which was fine. Definitely a place we intend to return to often as it is an unpretentious, comfortable locale with terrific food.Special Features:
- Added to Our FavoritesgoodfoodwonoiseVIPDined on 7/17/2014Nice, knowledgeable, pleasant staff. Very comfortable place in which to enjoy very fresh creatively prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchCallanDined on 7/17/2014The best Salad Nicoise I have ever had. Everything was fresh and flavorful. The iced tea needed more ice but beyond that, I have no complaints! The bread served with the salad was hot and yummy. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are hooked!gotforkwilleatDined on 6/27/2014Found this restaurant miracle completely by surprise, and now we are committed followers! Chef Kurt has done an amazing job with the inside and outside of the place, even with its own gardens growing between the tables. Garden to table dining and fresh as can be. We were so pleasantly surprised by the food they produce in a small kitchen, and every single one of the staff were genuinely happy to be there because they love working for him--what a great compliment! The food was amazing (smoked Ahi bacon?!) and we never get short ribs anywhere because they are everywhere. But this short rib dish was the BEST on the PLANET!! Seriously no comparison. I would go back 100 times for it. His personal story is also riveting...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean style hash is really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/22/2014The staff were really friendly and nice. I personally don't eat beef but I read the menu wrong and ordered Korean style hash (which has beef), the waiter was very nice and have the kitchen re-made one with chicken and did not charge me for the wrong order. Also my parents ordered a sandwich which comes with fries, the waiter let us substitute with salad, even though it says no substitution on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in a business parkThefallen1975VIPDined on 6/20/2014So , I decided the other day to take two classmates of mine to lunch since we're all culinary students. Food was great. The steak on the steak sandwich was plentiful, cooked and seasoned perfectly. The braised short rib sandwich was magical. The short rib was tender and seemed to melt in your mouth, in the best possible way. I had the pulled pork sandwich special. The pork was tender and delicious, the sauce tangy, zippy, and just the right balance of sweet and tangy. The issue I had was the brioche bun. When I went to pick up my sandwich, it started falling apart. Minor issue but also big because it's the vehicle you chose to use for this meat. The service was great, if not just a bit long between ordering and getting our sandwiches.Special Features:
- New MenuSRM62Dined on 6/13/2014The new menu is too expensive for what you get and the industrial location. Food is great but the hamburger is $22, thats just crazy!Special Features:
- Another great meal!SueLupDined on 6/8/2014We have been to Kitchen 4140 quite a few times and have never been disappointed! The food is always top notch and the service very attentive. The brunch menu has plenty of choices and each dish we've had has been delicious. There were four in our party this time and we all ordered something different. We had the grilled shrimp salad (a daily special,) the steak hash, the beast sandwich (which is truly large enough to qualify as a beast) and a short rib sandwich with a side order of the red velvet waffle for the table. Everything was excellent as always! We ate on the patio this time as it was a beautiful day and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. We'll be back again soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be CarefulRonbertDined on 6/7/2014Bad place: $38 dollar steak too full of gristle to eat, outdoor seating has no heaters, and illegal automatic (per the IRS 1/1/14) gratuity of 20% for two people. I won't be going back.
- Accommodated a last minute additionzipporahVIPDined on 6/1/2014We really enjoyed our Sunday brunch with friends at Kitchen 4140. They accommodated a last minute addition to our party with no problem. Food was very good (potatoes a little over seasoned, but everything else was delicious). Server was very friendly and took care of special requests quickly.Special Features:
- Rude hostess/clueless waitressSweetieDined on 5/29/2014Overall ambience was great. Chef Kurt was cooking up a storm. Our disappointment came at the end and definitely left a bad impression. When our waitress came to pick up the bill please do not ask if we need change back. First of all it was a credit card and secondly, if it is cash, let us decide on the tip when we receive ALL of the change. Then, as we walked out of the restaurant we noticed a sign that gave the restaurant hours and we were commenting on the lunch/brunch hours to each other. The hostess then came up and asked if we "ladies needed any help". She said it in such a tone that made us very uncomfortable. She then put her hand on my friend's arm and made to escort her towards the front podium. Did she think we rushed in? Rude!Special Features:
- Love the outdoor seatingKathylynneVIPDined on 5/29/2014It's hard to believe a place in the middle of an industrial park can have such a pleasant setting and wonderful food. You are seated amongst organic herbs, fruits, lettuce and vegetables and some seats are shaded while others offer sun. I enjoy trying to spot the variety of edibles in the garden. I usually have the salmon salad sashimi style (rare), but they only had smoked salmon the other day, so they offered to substitute grilled shrimp or anything else I wanted. The shrimp was delicious. Their berry herbal tea is a favorite of mine. They even offered us a free dessert for my birthday. Thomas, who is frequently our server, is always smiling and has a wonderfully pleasant energy.Special Features:
- Disorganized service, stay awaySauceonthesideVIPDined on 5/28/2014From the moment we sat down and requested a cushion for the bench(4 times) to getting our check without being asked if we wanted a dessert, this was a frustrating, disappointing dining experience. Not a user friendly restaurant. It's hard to evaluate the food when the service is disorganized and the servers keep changing and nobody knows the menu, i.e. what are the vegetables tonight? Tough question right? Answer: spring vegetables. What would those be? Getting the answer took several tries. And then it was crispy kale. When asked about the specials the haughty server pointed to the blackboard as if to say, read it. Can't read through a wall, can ya? When I said I couldn't see it, then he reluctantly recited it. The newbie was better.
- Delicious foodFoodie116Dined on 5/28/2014The food was yummy and it came out faster than I expected :)Special Features:
- Great food and servicekona808Dined on 5/28/2014Went for lunch because I purchased a deal through Living Social. I'm glad I did as I probably wouldn't have gone had I not, being that I don't get to that area of town often. Food was excellent! I had the short rib sandwich. It was so big I was full after eating half of it but finished it because I couldn't stop eating. My friend had a grilled shrimp salad that she really enjoyed. Both dishes were fresh and flavorful, I will definitely go again!Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the Kitchen 4140 reviews archive.
- Great Food, too slow!FogoFanVIPDined on 5/25/2014They have a very nice selection for brunch with interesting choices for plates but the service is incredibly slow specially for such a small place where you would think there's not that much room for confusion. When you have the chef sitting in front of you making sure everything goes smoothly, he should make sure everything does. on a quick brunch it took us 45 minutes to get half our order onto the table another 10 minutes for the rest of the party too get our food. who knows maybe once they have had time to train, they'll get it together.Special Features:
- Food great; service disappointing.JMS1VIPDined on 5/22/2014Our leftovers, which we had asked to take home, were thrown away and what they then provided to make up for it was much less than what we had purposely saved to take home and there was no shrimp or Brussels sprouts (both had been saved by us to take home). Food very good, but this was very disappointing part of the dining experience. Suggest asking container be brought to table and not let server take it away. I Contacted the restaurant and have yet to hear back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014My husband and I met our friends here for brunch on Sunday and it was fabulous! I got the nicoise salad and it was wonderful, tuna was cooked perfectly and the vegetables were so fresh! My husband got the chicken fried steak and biscuits and gravy and it was good as well! Our friends got the greek yogurt and fruit and the steak sandwich, overall everyone was so pleased! We sat outside and the wait staff was wonderful! My husband hates cucumbers so they brought him regular tap water instead of the delicious (in my opinion) cucumber water!Special Features:
- luke warm beverage, boring potatoesJTSDVIPDined on 5/18/2014The steak hash had wonderful fresh baby vegetables, my friend's chicken fried steak very good and nice gravy. The disappointment comes when you order 2 cups of hot beverages: 1 peppermint mocha latte, 1 chai tea latte. Both came fairly quickly, but they were no warmer than hot tap water, AND $5 & $4 beverage mugs were less than 1/2 full. Mug was huge, but it just looked cheap and the temp was bad & no mint in PML. Server never made an appearance until delivering food and by then we'd drank most. The other bummer were the "breakfast potatoes" with each meal. They had boiled baby red potatoes sprinkled some sort of spice mixture on them and onto the plate. The idea of a breakfast potato is crusty with crisp on them...these were boring.Special Features:
- Creative unique hideawayGreenAcresVIPDined on 5/17/2014We love this place! Its so delicious and the crew is so proud of what they have created, and they should be!Special Features:
- rose9126Dined on 5/15/2014You can see the kitchen and the food is always changing and always amazing! such a great place to eat with a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute Spot in an Unlikely LocationRaelin3Dined on 5/15/2014Needed a half way spot between Downtown and UTC to meet a friend for lunch. This place was perfect! Very cute restaurant. Great food! Service was awesome!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceFoodie116Dined on 5/11/2014They have great food and amazing service, however I've been here about 5 times and each time it could take 20-30 minutes to get your food, even if it's not a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemSanDiegoDinerDined on 5/7/2014This restaurant blew us away. From the moment we walked in, sat down, ordered our meal everything was flawless. Our waiter was excellent, the flavors of the food were delicious, and our whole experience was wonderful. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will be back!sksgoldfishDined on 5/7/2014We went to this restaurant by mistake...I thought I was buying a Livingsocial voucher for Kitchen 1540 in Del Mar! It turned out to be a very happy accident, because Kitchen 4140 is better than 1540! The food was excellent, the waiters are hip, and the location is...surprising. A great find. I have already recommended it to others. This is a great restaurant for foodies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charmingconstancelyDined on 5/7/2014service at 4140 is always remarkable! the food is amazing!!! cant go wrong for lunchSpecial Features:
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014the food here taste great. WE like to come here for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country ambience in a local settingLovetoeatDined on 5/2/2014The menu was eclectic with recent price surge. Love dining outdoors because we can hear each other. Server was knowledgeable and accommodating with a sense of humor and pride in the establishment (Everett) and the menu options. Got bit by a mosquito. Ich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great concept, good food, but....42forfoodDined on 4/18/2014The ambience was great, cool rustic vibe, nice indoor/outdoor seating. Generous portions, & delicious food. The service didn't match! Our waiter seemed unfamiliar with the specials, reading verbatim off the chalkboard in plain view. When my friend ordered sparkling wine, he insisted she get a glass of something else, without explaining if it was even a sparkling wine or different altogether. And although we were one of a few tables, our waiter seemed fairly absent after we ordered food. When he brought dessert & coffee, he said cream would be out shortly. Then he went missing, and we had to ask another waitperson to get it for us. With the abundance of SD restaurants that offer great service & food, I doubt I'll visit Kitchen 4140 again.Special Features:
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014The food was excellent but the service was super slow. A forward explanation on why would have been appreciated but none was given. We waited over 30 mins between our appetizer and our entree (a medium rare steak). Overheard another couple saying they waited over 15 mins for a to-go box. Hope it was an off night for them.Special Features: