4140 Morena Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchen4140.com/
- Phone: (858) 483-4140
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French American
- Executive Chef: Kurt Metzger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Kitchen 4140
Chef Kurt and team are forerunners of regional Americana cuisine with a twist. Quality produce and herbs are sourced from their on site Organic Garden. The Kitchen is where the passion begins. Serving Lunch, Dinner and Sunday Brunch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Kitchen 4140 - Best Restaurants in Pacific Beach ›
Kitchen 4140 reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (28)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)special occasion (8)romantic (6)notable wine list (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Love this little gemDBmyfaveDined on 11/21/2014Always have something on the menu that is a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4140 Good Food, Underwhelming ServicekenitoDined on 11/14/2014The menu featured a nice variety of eclectic dishes and had a robust drink menu. I had the lamb chops and my wife had the Chilean Sea Bass special and we split a salad between the two of us. We also ordered a glass of wine with the meal that was forgotten by the staff and never brought. The lamb chops were excellent, the chilean sea bass was a bit dry and they tried to do too much with the accompanying mix. If you are in a hurry and/or if you have inpatient kids, this is not the restaurant for you. The couple next to us who had their grand child with them basically boxed up their food on arrival and left, because they had waited so long that their grandchild had reached his limit. We waited quite a long time as well, nearly an hour after ordering and our daughter who is usually very patient, asked us about 5 times when the food would be there. Several times, the waiter looked at our table knowing that the food was tardy, but never bothered to come by to update us. Once the food arrived, he checked on us several times to see how the food was. We were using the passport dining card to check out the restaurant that required an automatic 20% tip, which clearly was not earned, but paid nonetheless. We didn't bother to ask for the dessert menu due to concerns regarding a potential wait and drove down to the bear ice cream sandwich shop in P.B. instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner for 10elaineDined on 11/12/2014we had an absolutely fabulous dinner for 10 in their private back room (to facilitate our business-related conversation). superb food and not as pricey as comparable meals and wine elsewhere. everyone enjoyed the food...I had the best "duck, 2 ways" that I've had anywhere. this is really special neighborhood restaurant, a bit hidden but worth it. staff is always very attentive (I've been there for lunch and dinner several times).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemSandyDined on 11/12/2014Organic food with much of it grown on the premises imaginatively prepared and aesthetically presented continues to attract a loyal clientele. Many appreciate their extensive wine cellar as well as the success story of owner, "Kurt".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchihightowDined on 11/9/2014Had brunch here for the first time. Everything always tastes great. Our group had crab benedict, NY steak benedict, machaca, country fried steak and ribeye and eggs. All were excellent and filling. Coffee and Chai tea lattes were excellent. Will definitely come again and again and again.Special Features:
- Cute and CozyNicoleDined on 11/6/2014Amazing food, wonderful staff, and I love that they grow herbs in front.Special Features:
- Great Food, servicempcoonDined on 11/6/2014An amazing little gem of a restaurant. Great food, wonderful friendly service and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fish & chips!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2014The amazing fish & chips are what would bring me back! I came with a group of moms & babies & I don't know if I'd come with a big group again. We couldn't get an outside table in the shade, so we sat inside. The table itself had plenty of room, but the people around us had trouble getting behind us. It was a little crowded. But the staff accommodated us the best they could & that was much appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Went to Kitchen 4140 on a recommendation from a friend. Couldn't have been more pleased. The food was amazing as well at the atmosphere. Definitely will be going back again. thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodCrownDined on 10/30/2014Lovely little spot Perfect for lunch with the girlsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesome!gotforkwilleatVIPDined on 10/17/2014After multiple times at Kitchen4140, we are still amazed at the great food Chef Kurt and his team produce!! Nothing more satisfying than to be able to bring friends and family here knowing confidently they will love it like we do. The short rib continues to be the best short rib we have ever eaten in our life, and the specials were incredible...cream cheese risotto with scallops!! The staff also make this place delightful (thank you Matthew, Denise, Rebecca, Jake, etc) and the chefs in the kitchen with Chef Kurt are tremendous. We have obviously found a new restaurant love!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Limited, but adequate wine list. Food better than average. Also, more 'spendy' than average.Special Features:
- Excellent service and fresh food!!sunedazeDined on 10/12/2014Our first time for Sunday brunch and couldn't be happier. Food so fresh tasting and farm to table so we love the food combinations. Food looks like artwork! They really take pride in the place, food, and service and that really comes across to the customers. Love the outdoor space and long tables for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but.....DinerGirlDined on 10/4/2014We were really looking forward to dining at this restaurant but found the location little to be desired. Further, we were told it was overbooked and changed our reservation time only to get there to find a majority of empty tables the rest of the evening. Hmmmm. The food and service was great and for once the noise level was dreamy as we didnt have to shout out our dinner choices and compete with head banging music. The prices are over the top as you can get a great meal such as this at any competitive restaurant in the area for much less. I dont know how they qualify their prices but..........Overall really nice place to dine. Not sure we would go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food - Poor ServiceApparitionDined on 10/3/2014The great reviews and unique menu made us want to try this restaurant. We were seated promptly but it took a while for a waiter to come by and take our drink order. We ordered a bottle of white wine which had to be chilled before they served it to us - around 25 minutes. Another server came by after about 15 minutes to tell us our wine was chilling. We asked if we could order appetizers and then she jumped into action. Noting that this could be a long night we asked to order entrees as well. 25 more minutes went by before we saw our appetizers - we rarely saw a waiter and were seated in the middle of the restaurant. Food finally started coming out of the back. 3 hours for dinner - food was great but took way too long. Will not be back.Special Features:
- A great addition to the Bay Ho areaJuliev16VIPDined on 10/3/2014Our server was extremely attentive and was helpful in making selections. I had the fried shrimp salad with an Asian wasabi dressing. A tad too much of the batter but good flavor. My friend had th asparagus soup which was enough for us to share. And she had the ahi salad nicoise and the tuna was seared to perfection. I will definite return for lunch again and plan on dinner there soon.Special Features:
- MickiDined on 10/1/2014Expensive; be sure and ask the price of the specials because I didn't. Knowledgeable waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I found this place on open table and didn't know it was in my hood! So we went for a late breakfast on Sunday . It was just ok for me food wise the potatoes are very hot like chili pepper hot! I can't eat spicey and my poached eggs tasted of vinegar :( bacon was good and service was great! We were inbetween times so it was spars as fat as people. My boyfriend loved his chicken fried steak ! Large portion! Think it's over priced! And the herb gardens described were next to nil ??? Think we will keep searching for a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummiest smoked salmon sandwichSalmonloverDined on 9/18/2014We were there for lunch during the week. I expected slivers of smoked salmon, as you usually find with lox. This sandwich was huge! It came on a long, crunchy roll with big chunks of fresh salmon, seasoned perfectly. The avocado creme friache and herb aioli in the sandwich was perfectly matched to the salmon flavors. Even the steak-sized fries were yummy with just enough seasoning. We were rushed a bit even though the restaurant was not filled, though the service was very good.Special Features:
- Great food and comfy, homey feelRiversideFlyerDined on 8/29/2014We stumbled upon Kitchen 4140 via a very popular social media site and are glad we did. The food was fantastic, as was the service. This is the kind of restaurant where you can go and relax in the outdoor seating area and enjoy one of their specialty dishes while enjoying the San Diego weather. A bonus for any family with small children: the servers went out of their way to help when our 2-year old and 8-month old started to get a little loud and impatient (thanks, guys).Special Features:
- Foodie GemAgnieszkaDined on 8/22/2014Loved the freshness of the food and variety of unique ingredients.Special Features:
- Great farm to table mealskb722Dined on 8/20/2014The good at Kitchen 4140 is innovative and flavored wonderfully! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014The food was good but the service was quite slow, which is tough to accommodate during a mid-week lunch when members of our party had to return to work.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is so good ....frenchfoodieDined on 8/7/2014... It was difficult to make a choice. I love this restaurant. My Ahi tuna Nicoise salad was excellent. The ice tea special was refreshing and our waiter was attentive, friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Fresh and beautifulSammmomDined on 8/1/2014This is reasonably priced and beautifully presented local food. Knowledgeable servers who go out of their way to help. Lovely little spot.Special Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Kitchen 4140 reviews archive.
- Never Disappoints UsPunkinsMamaVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had another lovely meal here last week with friends who were first -timers. Everyone was pleased. Our waiter was super friendly & attentive. We brought our own bottle of Bordeaux which we enjoyed for reasonable corkage of $20. We greatly enjoyed the Brussels sprouts & also the Spanish Chicken to start. My seared Ahi was perfectly done as was my husband's rib eye. We enjoyed delicious Gelato (high marks for the salted caramel). Overall, a lovely meal that we were very grateful to have within a mile of our home. A real find that is a bright spot on the otherwise bleak landscape of north Morena Blvd!Special Features:
- Great Place!WonderwomanDined on 7/26/2014I've been here for brunch and dinner several times. I've never been disappointed. The staff, ambience, service and food is great! I took a friend of mine for the first time on her birthday and she LOVED it! I recommend the restaurant highly. They are pet-friendly, which we don't have enough restaurants that cater to pets. So worth trying.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience hereIndigoDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I have been eating at Kitchen 4140 since the restaurant opened. The food is always good but the service is erratic, especially when they are busy during brunch. This past Sunday, we dined with a group of 7. We were seated promptly and the drinks came pretty quickly. Then the disaster started. We waited over 40 minutes for our food. No one checked on us in the mean time or even tried to apologized for the delay. We had to stopped servers to get ice tea refills and even that took a while to get. At the end of the meal, because we had a party of 7, we were automatically charged 20% service. I am appalled that after such horrendous experience that the restaurant had to nerve to charge 20% service charge.
- Great findjax3217VIPDined on 7/19/2014Kitchen 4140 is a hidden gem. As soon as you arrive you get the scent of herbs growing in their garden. My friend and I had the NY steak which was delicious, my wife had the short ribs and my friend's wife the branzino. Everyone was uniformly pleased. Parking was easy and the waitress very affable. Only disappointment is they were out of the wine we wanted but she suggested a substitute which was fine. Definitely a place we intend to return to often as it is an unpretentious, comfortable locale with terrific food.Special Features:
- Added to Our FavoritesgoodfoodwonoiseVIPDined on 7/17/2014Nice, knowledgeable, pleasant staff. Very comfortable place in which to enjoy very fresh creatively prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchCallanDined on 7/17/2014The best Salad Nicoise I have ever had. Everything was fresh and flavorful. The iced tea needed more ice but beyond that, I have no complaints! The bread served with the salad was hot and yummy. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are hooked!gotforkwilleatVIPDined on 6/27/2014Found this restaurant miracle completely by surprise, and now we are committed followers! Chef Kurt has done an amazing job with the inside and outside of the place, even with its own gardens growing between the tables. Garden to table dining and fresh as can be. We were so pleasantly surprised by the food they produce in a small kitchen, and every single one of the staff were genuinely happy to be there because they love working for him--what a great compliment! The food was amazing (smoked Ahi bacon?!) and we never get short ribs anywhere because they are everywhere. But this short rib dish was the BEST on the PLANET!! Seriously no comparison. I would go back 100 times for it. His personal story is also riveting...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean style hash is really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/22/2014The staff were really friendly and nice. I personally don't eat beef but I read the menu wrong and ordered Korean style hash (which has beef), the waiter was very nice and have the kitchen re-made one with chicken and did not charge me for the wrong order. Also my parents ordered a sandwich which comes with fries, the waiter let us substitute with salad, even though it says no substitution on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find in a business parkThefallen1975VIPDined on 6/20/2014So , I decided the other day to take two classmates of mine to lunch since we're all culinary students. Food was great. The steak on the steak sandwich was plentiful, cooked and seasoned perfectly. The braised short rib sandwich was magical. The short rib was tender and seemed to melt in your mouth, in the best possible way. I had the pulled pork sandwich special. The pork was tender and delicious, the sauce tangy, zippy, and just the right balance of sweet and tangy. The issue I had was the brioche bun. When I went to pick up my sandwich, it started falling apart. Minor issue but also big because it's the vehicle you chose to use for this meat. The service was great, if not just a bit long between ordering and getting our sandwiches.Special Features:
- New MenuSRM62Dined on 6/13/2014The new menu is too expensive for what you get and the industrial location. Food is great but the hamburger is $22, thats just crazy!Special Features:
- Another great meal!SueLupDined on 6/8/2014We have been to Kitchen 4140 quite a few times and have never been disappointed! The food is always top notch and the service very attentive. The brunch menu has plenty of choices and each dish we've had has been delicious. There were four in our party this time and we all ordered something different. We had the grilled shrimp salad (a daily special,) the steak hash, the beast sandwich (which is truly large enough to qualify as a beast) and a short rib sandwich with a side order of the red velvet waffle for the table. Everything was excellent as always! We ate on the patio this time as it was a beautiful day and really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. We'll be back again soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be CarefulRonbertDined on 6/7/2014Bad place: $38 dollar steak too full of gristle to eat, outdoor seating has no heaters, and illegal automatic (per the IRS 1/1/14) gratuity of 20% for two people. I won't be going back.
- Accommodated a last minute additionzipporahVIPDined on 6/1/2014We really enjoyed our Sunday brunch with friends at Kitchen 4140. They accommodated a last minute addition to our party with no problem. Food was very good (potatoes a little over seasoned, but everything else was delicious). Server was very friendly and took care of special requests quickly.Special Features:
- Rude hostess/clueless waitressSweetieDined on 5/29/2014Overall ambience was great. Chef Kurt was cooking up a storm. Our disappointment came at the end and definitely left a bad impression. When our waitress came to pick up the bill please do not ask if we need change back. First of all it was a credit card and secondly, if it is cash, let us decide on the tip when we receive ALL of the change. Then, as we walked out of the restaurant we noticed a sign that gave the restaurant hours and we were commenting on the lunch/brunch hours to each other. The hostess then came up and asked if we "ladies needed any help". She said it in such a tone that made us very uncomfortable. She then put her hand on my friend's arm and made to escort her towards the front podium. Did she think we rushed in? Rude!Special Features:
- Love the outdoor seatingKathylynneVIPDined on 5/29/2014It's hard to believe a place in the middle of an industrial park can have such a pleasant setting and wonderful food. You are seated amongst organic herbs, fruits, lettuce and vegetables and some seats are shaded while others offer sun. I enjoy trying to spot the variety of edibles in the garden. I usually have the salmon salad sashimi style (rare), but they only had smoked salmon the other day, so they offered to substitute grilled shrimp or anything else I wanted. The shrimp was delicious. Their berry herbal tea is a favorite of mine. They even offered us a free dessert for my birthday. Thomas, who is frequently our server, is always smiling and has a wonderfully pleasant energy.Special Features: