Kirei Sushi Bar
81 Church Street
Toronto, ON M5C2G2Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
SushiPrice: CAN$30 and under
Kirei Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kireitoronto.com/
- Phone: 4162149393
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: CLOSED
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Kirei Sushi Bar
The authenticity of fine Japanese cuisine and a great social atmosphere. With a full sushi bar filled with a delicious assortment of seafood prepared in front of your eyes, and a liquor bar for those social engagements, Kirei Sushi + Bar brings the fine tastes of sushi and the exceptional fresh taste of sake to your table. Kirei Sushi + Bar sets the mood and brings a sophisticated vibe to Toronto. We welcome you to dine with us and have an experience that's one to remember.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kirei Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- mnakashiVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had tempura appetizer, seaweed and crabmeat salads, sushi sampler and saki, during our two visits. Nothing special, but fish appeared to be frozen and not fresh. Service was incredibly SLOW due to servers doing busboy duties in addition to serving which lead them to forget the customers. Had not the jrestaurant been the only one near to our Holiday Inn Express that used Open Table, we probably would not have dined here at all, much 3 times in 2 years.
- Excellent lunch spotAndyVIPDined on 8/29/2014After a little while figuring out exactly what they wanted to be, Kirei has turned itself into a premium Japanese lunching spot for the financial core.
- Brutal ServiceConorDined on 7/18/2014Went in for their Summerlicious menu, took half an hour to have the server make contact with our table. Took an hour and a half to get our meals due to the waitresses giving away the dishes (pretty much everyone ordering the summerlicious selection) to tables that were in WAY after us. Don't bother with this place.
- Could be betterbhdbhdDined on 7/14/2014I came here for Summerlicious with my family. The foods in this restaurant are in fact quite good and are of good portions. However, there are three things that affected my ratings: 1. Inattentive services: The restaurant was not that busy but the three staff were hard to be caught. 2. Loud customers: To be fair...this is something that they can't control but people sitting next to us were really loud. 3. Dead bugs: We sat next to the window and could see dead bugs along the tilts. Not good. Food-wise, they are ok. Decoration and location are good but... They need to improve, period.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/14/2014The food is good I just wish the food would come out faster. We waited a bit more than normally for our food. However, very good price and you leave the restaurant feeling extremely full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Kirei Sushi Bar reviews archive.
- ShivzDined on 5/17/2014Love all the different options of signature sushi rolls!Special Features:
- Decent but not worth itLisakoVIPDined on 4/19/2014Kirei Sushi Bar had good-quality sushi, but the restaurant was quite empty on a Saturday night, which was a bit disappointing. It was also a bit pricier than average sushi places, and though the quality was good, in our opinion, it did not merit the extra cost.Special Features:
- First dinner visit; not our lastNNNNNDined on 3/29/2014We ordered chirashi, seafood teriyaki, bulgogi, bibim bop and udon noodle soup. Everything was very good. Even our 3-yr old almost finished the enitre noodle soup. Usually a bit picky so it must have been good ;) Early Saturday dinner (not busy yet). Servers all friendly and accommodating. We've been once for lunch and now dinner. Happy both times. Think we may have found our new go-to place in the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchNNNNNDined on 3/22/2014Good selection of lunch bento boxes. Ordered sashimi bento, katsu bento and nabeyaki udon noodle soup. Fish fresh. Soup hot. Prices reasonable. Saturday lunch not too busy - good for a leisurely weekend lunch. Staff very friendly but service timing a little off; may be problematic if busier. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gd food selection. Value for $$jintinyiVIPDined on 2/15/2014We got a room for our group of five. Very private. A wide selection of food/small dishes. Good for sharing. They carry the Dolsot Bibimbap which tells me the kitchen has Korean influence.Oyster special on Sat - $1 each. Very gd quality. Braised pork belly - melt in the mouth. Service is not top rated but totally acceptable. Super gd value for money.Special Features:
- Sushi on valentinesGregDined on 2/14/2014Went to this place on Valentines day. They gave us the Japense style room with sliding doors and lowered table. Very comfortable and very cool. Sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, sake was excellent. Service was a bit slow, perhaps understaffed that night but did not detract from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2014Chose the place because I wanted to try something new and WOW, it was an amazing experience. The evening made Winterlicious really specialSpecial Features:
- Modern, Bright & Classy!QueenAlineDined on 2/5/2014Ambiance and environment was great. It is nice for a one on one dinner for a couple or with a friend. It is modern, bright and classy. I had the winterliscious menue which was really good overall. I would like to try their other items eventually. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Japanese GemGDawgDined on 1/31/2014Just slightly east of the financial district and the trendy west side, this restaurant was a pleasant surprise for our group's first time experience. The main dining room was standard in terms of decor, and can get a little noisy if the restaurant is full. Fortunately we were seated inside one of the side rooms, which had a more authentic Japanese ambience complete with a sliding door. The food was delicious, the sushi was fresh, and the steak teriyaki was a good portion. The service was very nice and attentive, and the value for money was high. Overall a great experience for the group, and a place that I would gladly return to, and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Exceptional Value!MuskieRayDined on 1/25/2014We went there on Saturday for dinner just before seeing a show. The quality of the food was exceptional in terms of freshness, taste, and presentation. The service was also top notch. The restaurant is very clean, well maintained, brightly lit and with good air quality. It's not the most romantic restaurant we ever been to. It's more suitable to small and medium groups of friends and family. We found the play list a bit odd - eighties pop and rock music. It wasn't too loud or offensive in any way - just odd and unexpected for this type of restaurant. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushifoodieDined on 1/14/2014We went to Kirei Sushi to celebrate my daughter's birthday as it is a family favourite. They did not disappoint. The server was very prompt, polite and helpful. The food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conveniently NiceFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2013I stayed at a nearby hotel to this restaurant and it was the perfect spot to stop in and grab a bit to eat. While the food was just average to me the price was good and so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely come backhbalasinDined on 7/18/2013Great value for money, the food was excellent. We tried it as part of Summerlicious and would love to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK but...howiDined on 7/16/2013Kirei maybe good for most having the lunch... service was very good and quite spacious to dine in. While the presentation of the food was great, the quality of the food itself is just OK. I do not know what was missing as the fishes for the sushi and sashimi were fresh... but the taste failed to wow me at least. Perhaps the humid heat outside or the Asahi Black had tricked my tasted buds? The bottom line: I have better experiences elsewhere at the same price range.
- It was okay...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2013Servers were nice, but service wasn't exactly high end or perfect. Nothing out of the ordinary - which could be said the same about the food. It was decent food, sashimi was definitely fresh so that was a plus. But some of their dishes (like the teriyaki eel with rice) were overpriced, and I didn't feel like the quality matched the price. I don't think I'd go again, but it was okay for a one time thing.Special Features:
- great service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/3/2013Walked in when they were closing and they still accepted a group of six girls. The food was good and they even made a big presentation of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived in Toronto earlyMtlfoodiDined on 3/8/2013We arrived in Toronto early evening on a Friday and I decided to book on open table just to be sure we got a seat. Kirei had good reviews and was close by so we booked for 8:30pm. We arrived early to find that us and another couple were the only people in the oversized restaurant. That should have been my first sign but we decided to sit down anyway and give them the benefit of the doubt. We ordered from the sushi menu- 5 dishes to share between 2. When the plates arrived they were huge-we love sushi and just from looking at it we would have struggled to eat one plate each let alone 5 between 2, anyway after trying as much as we could the sushi was drenched in mayonnaise and almost everything was fried. Distinctly average at best.
- A great find. Our party ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013A great find. Our party of 6 really enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the service. As mentioned in other posts, surprised it's not a busier place.Special Features:
- It was a pleasant suprise...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013It was a pleasant suprise... the food was great. I loved it!!!!Special Features:
- The Sushi was fresh and theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The Sushi was fresh and the appetizers were a delight. Portions were also very good. However, the waiter didn't bring out Salad or Miso Soup which was supposed to come with the meal and he also later forgot to bring out a Soya dish for the Sushi after indicating that he was going to get them. It was 1:15PM and it wasn't too busy or I would have cut him some slack. It was just carelessness.
- My friend and I decided lastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/28/2013My friend and I decided last minute to experience the Winterlicious menu at Kirei Sushi Bar and were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful it was! The menu presented had something for everyone and the food we ended up ordering was very tasty! The server was very sweet and provided good service. Overall we throughly enjoyed our visit would definitely have no problems coming again in the future.Special Features:
- Amazing, fresh sushi and attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/26/2013Amazing, fresh sushi and attentive service. Everything was delicious.
- Surprised it wasn't busierklamchowderDined on 1/26/2013Greeted warmly upon arrival. Server was attentive throughout, clearing dishes, etc. without being intrusive. Was helpful in recommending a hot sake, Kinnon. Braised pork belly was wonderful. Very generous sushi plate, with good quality fish on small rice balls. Winterlicous lunch is an excellent value. Beautiful subdued dining room with comfortable booths. Very clean washrooms. When Winterlicious rez's 1st opened, I tried to reserve. However, I think cuz it's usually closed on weekends, it showed no openings. About a wk later, I tried again when I saw their website say it would be open w/ends for the event. It was very quiet but if people could make reservations earlier and knew what a great tasty deal this was, it'd be full!Special Features:
- Food was fine. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Food was fine. Great service. We chose to sit on the floor (saw pictures from restaurant website) but it was actually like sitting in the chair still cause it's the big space under the table. That's ok.Special Features:
- Really good sushi in a niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Really good sushi in a nice ambience. Worth a visit. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- This is not real JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/10/2013This is not real Japanese food. It's ok at best but better to find real sushi elsewhere.
- A unique and new-take on sushi,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012A unique and new-take on sushi, that seems almost fresher (if sushi could be fresher!)- definitely aesthetically unique/appealing. The service was friendly and fantastic- although my friend's meal and mine came out at different times (not exactly well-coordinated). Both the bartender and server were very attentive, and helpful for recommending drinks and dishes. Quieter restaurant, with private dining rooms in the restaurant area (in traditional Japanese style). There is a bar area as well at the main entrance; however, this wasn't really in use when my friend and I went (8pm on a Sunday)- it may be different on a weekday, and I could see it being popular with a post-work crowd. Definitely a neighbourhood gem, that's well worth the viSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2012A last minute decision to have a nice dinner with my boyfriend. What a great choice! I read some previous reviews mentioning private rooms. I requested one when I made the reservation and it was a great choice! Very quiet, private and something different than a regular table. The food was wonderful. The rolls are generous portions with tons of fish! The server was very nice and recommended several rolls to try. We will absolutely go back again!!!Special Features:
- Beautiful decor - especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2012Beautiful decor - especially the sunken in private rooms, great food and wonderful service! I'd love for more vouchers for this place!Special Features:
- Amazing fresh sushi - it isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Amazing fresh sushi - it is the best sashimi we have EVER had. We loved the private rooms for romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2012my 1st time @ Kirei, it's a last minute reservation for 2012 Summerlicious, thanks OpenTable ^^ Very nice place, Great food, I was with a friend & my 9-month old, kid-friendly! we were there for lunch, so it might be busy that our foods come very slow! BUT service was very good, the waitress explained & came by to say sorry twice... overall, i'll come back for sure ^_~ for the food & service!Special Features:
- The layout of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2012The layout of the restaurant give dinners a great area to enjoy their meals as each of the seating areas are booths for the interior seating area. The sushi bar seats 5 and give a nice, intimate vantage point for the meal. I feel that both seating positions should be enjoyed and warrant return visits. their patio area is nothing to really check out as it is quite segregated from the main dining area. Additionally the patio will face directly onto the patio area for the neighbouring Starbucks.Special Features:
- We discovered this place duringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2012We discovered this place during summerlicious and have been going there for lunch since. Great food and very reasonable prices. The service is quick and the servers are very accommodating. A great place for lunch if you like sushi!Special Features:
- love that they have smalllenmuiDined on 7/7/2012love that they have small rooms. everything feels so much more authenticSpecial Features:
- We went here for the SummerliciousMexDVIPDined on 7/7/2012We went here for the Summerlicious which for the price was really good. the only thing bad is that we order an extra app which was solf shell crab but it was very small for the price we had better else where. Other then that everything there was great.Special Features: