419 W Superior St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kinmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 915-0011
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Brunch 11am - 2:30pm | Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Friday - Saturday 5pm - 11am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Duncan Bidulph
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Kinmont
Those interested in Fishing, Canoeing, Camping, Exploring, Mountain Climbing, Fire Grilling, Fly Fishing and other "Field and Stream" pursuits should be eagerly awaiting the new river north restaurant by Element Collective. Kinmont is proud to source 100% sustainable seafood, heirloom meats and local vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kinmont reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)neighborhood gem (83)good for groups (55)special occasion (50)romantic (45)great for outdoor dining (26)hot spot (21)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (13)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- too attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2014Awesome food drinks and atmosphere. But sometimes I wish the servers would not check in every 5 mins. Or have every plate removed instantaneously. Just saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafoodMaxFoodVIPDined on 11/10/2014Great place for seafood -limited menu but amazingly fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful seafood!MSBBQVIPDined on 11/8/2014If you want to find great fresh fish in Chicago, Kinmont is the place! Wonderful preparations at fair prices.Special Features:
- Stick with straight up seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014. We ordered mussels as a starter and they were great. However, we ordered a shrimp pasta dish and it was actually pretty awful. It was bland - literally tasteless. It had maybe the total of 1 shrimp ground to tiny pieces. Just stick to oysters, mussels, and fish!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luisadosVIPDined on 11/8/2014the bar area was very cool. and the decor was also cool in a hunting fishing kind of way. atypical for chicago. i may have ordered wrong, but i was not crazy about the food - the salmon tartar had mayo in it??? it was a huge portion, but the salmon tartar at bavette's wins over this one big time. I had the pasta - which was a small portion and if there was one shrimp in the whole dish - - - it was just ok. My friends had the trout and loved it - and i had a bite and it was good! Note to self - next time you go to a seafood restaurant, order the fish!
- Excellent new place!LMGFDined on 11/8/2014Food was amazing. All fish is line caught and sustainably fished. Service was friendly and knowledgeable. We'll return.Special Features:
- KellyDined on 11/7/2014If you love seafood, go here. If you are so so on seafood, I would not go here. We were with a group of six and the noise level was too much to have a decent conversation. I am a seafood lover and the food was delicious! Also, half price oysters on the half shell before 7 pm. Can't beat that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!ChigalVIPDined on 11/6/2014I took my friend here to celebrate her engagement, and we were both thrilled with the experience! The ambiance is beautiful and stylish and the service incredibly friendly and warm. I'd asked that they deliver champagne to our table once we sat down, which they timed perfectly and eventually covered for us on the house. The food was delicious, especially the oysters and the king crab gratin. I look forward to going back with my husband for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, noise awfulIcanthearyouDined on 11/5/2014Walleye, beets fantastic, but ruined by music above 90 db. This is threshold for hearing loss, and OSHA limit in factories. Left with a splitting headache, and went home to put an icepak on my forehead.Special Features:
- Eclectic atmosphere, excellent fooddining4usDined on 11/1/2014Three of us ate dinner at Kinmont on November 1st and very much enjoyed everything. The crab appetizer spread was outstanding! The fresh fish of the day was excellent, as was the risotto that was offered as a main course. The two vegetable side dishes - the beets and the broccoli - were each unique and delicious. And I loved my salad. They have unusual wine offerings and those we ordered were very good. The restaurant has a very unique décor - very interesting. And the service was very attentive and friendly. Overall, it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food -- Great ServiceDowntownVIPDined on 10/30/2014We just had our second dinner at Kinmont and will definitely return soon. We recommend starting with the fabulous salmon sashimi. Although we each got one, smaller eaters could get by sharing one. Hubby liked his mussels and I really enjoyed my walleye, which I chose to have prepared in olive oil rather than brown butter. We shared a side of wonderfully prepared tri-colored beets. My only problem with Kinmont is that when you order the walleye, that's all you get, a piece of walleye. It looked so alone on the plate; it would have been nice to have a small side of broccolini or green beans, or something. Service has terrific and we enjoyed meeting the general manager, Greg Samuels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliablebourbonloversDined on 10/24/2014We dined several times in Kinmont - shortly after the opening and on a regular basis ever since. Never fails to deliver. Last time we had after-ballet late reservation at 10 pm. Show ended at 10:30 and made us late for our already late dinner. We called and when we finally arrived the table was ready and waiting for us. The hostess and the entire staff was most accomodating and the food was great - we had sea bass - served whole and good enough for 3 of us. Old fashioned and side dishes were good as always. Will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SupplySupplyDined on 10/24/2014We ordered salmon and whitefish. The waitress came back 5 minutes later and said they ran out of those dishes. The menu is limited. We picked other dishes but then waited 1 hour for our food.Special Features:
- great river north food spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2014Dinner for three was great. Walley, salmond & whitish were all fresh. We had salad and appitizer. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayEFSloopVIPDined on 10/23/2014Food was just okay...nothing to rave about particularly for the price. Salmon tartar was a miss and came out after our main dish. The cracker was horrible and tasted like seasoning. Broccoli didn't live up to the description and lacked flavor. The rolls wete very heavy and tasted like fried dough. Fish and chips is mediocre. The bright spot is the walleye, which was cooked well. We opted for it to be cooked with olive oil. Service was okay, did take 15-20 minutes to get our orders, but sent us a dessert for the delay with the tartar. The squash tart was good, with the grape finish. Seating was unnecessarily tight. We sat at the booth wall and both sides of us had their stuff on top of us.
- KMPAVIPDined on 10/23/2014Good food; good service; nice atmosphere. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had to apologize for recommendingYardbirdDined on 10/20/2014Our group of six almost left the restaurant twice, before ordering, due to the noise level. The Turkish carpets on the ceiling appeared to be an effort to curb the noise problem, but we found the room totally uncomfortable. While the seafood was very good, having chosen this restaurant was a mistake. I had to apologize to the group for selecting it. The staff was very accommodating in agreeing to turn the decibel level of the music down; and so we didn't leave. However, had we been in a more taxi friendly neighborhood we probably would have walked out after being seated and trying to review the menus. The two wine experts in the group complained that we were served a wine that wasn't what it was represented to be on the wine list.
- Kinmont is Exceptional!wjmrVIPDined on 10/19/2014Kinmont is a restaurant that hits it out of the park! The food, service and ambiance make it a perfect destination. The sustainable seafood menu is creative and incredibly delicious. It is a great neighborhood destination. And, they call the next morning to see how your experience was. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute and every bite from a most creative kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food!foodie81Dined on 10/18/2014We loved our dinner at Kinmont! The food was great and the drinks were just as good. Our server seemed a little overwhelmed/in a hurry, but overall, we had a great experience and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Really great foodsmarmorVIPDined on 10/14/2014Went there with a group of 5 and had most of the menu. We had the seafood platter, the gratin, all of the veggie sides, the walleye with brown butter, the risotto and cavatappi, and the chicken fried oysters. The only miss was the fried oysters, which oddly just didn't have that much flavor. The room is really cool, and the service was great. I would HIGHLY recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great 2nd visit!LetsEatOutTonightVIPDined on 10/14/2014This was our second visit to Kinmont, and had been nearly 6 months since first. Another great experience! The service, from bar to table staff, is exceptional. We were happy to be there early and enjoy 1/2 price oysters (excellent variety!) in the bar prior to dining in restaurant. One plus, which we noted immediately, is the absence of televisions anywhere in restaurant (although they do bring one out on occasion, in bar, if there is a sporting event, we were told). I had the fish and chips and my husband ordered Walleye, both dishes satisfying and delicious. The menu isn't large, but it changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerchidineVIPDined on 10/13/2014made this reservation for my husband's birthday while his mom and my parents were in town. I had heard it was one of the newer and better restaurants. I reviewed the menu and even called the restaurant about having a few changes to be made for those of us who are vegetarian. I even ask that the dessert that we order have happy birthday and a candle so it can complete the celebration. We arrive and the ambiance is nice and we are seated right away.The menu is a la carte and we see that one of the veggies is already sold-out and its 730P on Monday evening. We are then told that a couple of more options are sold out and the options are tomatoes, cucumbers and mushrooms- essentially no green vegetables at all or some nutrient-rich side either.Special Features:
- Great little spot!MurphiusMaximusDined on 10/11/2014I work in the restaurant business and would highly recommend Kinmont for a date night or night out with friends. Food and service were excellent and the drinks at the bar were fantastic. Very laid back and friendly environment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New findChitownrefugeeDined on 10/5/2014We were set to go to a steakhouse when my son mentioned Kinmont. What a wonderful find. The food and service were wonderful. I highly recommend the Sunday special with wine pairings, ours was adventuresome and well thought out. A future visit is guaranteed.Special Features:
- Attention to detailSarahDined on 10/4/2014Delicious, well-executed seafood dishes without pretentiousness and fluff. Chicago-friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:
- too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/28/2014I was hoping this place would live up to the hype but sadly it did not. Every single dish was over salted especially the halibut. The king crab gratin would have been good but it was so salty that you couldn't really enjoy the taste of the crab. The fries were especially cripsy the way I like them but again too salty. I would come back for the drinks but that is all.
- Delish...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great little hidden spot. We started in the bar. The bartender was great describing the menu in detail. While I understand they have reservations coming in, the table they sat us at initially was just horrible. We were able to sit at another table, thank goodness. Joe was a great server, very informative. We started with the oysters and mussels, then had the rushing waters trout as a main entree. All quite tasty. The dessert was decent. I was very impressed with the phone call I received the day after from the hostess thanking us for our visit. Nice touch!Special Features:
- foodnlightsDined on 9/25/2014It was such a beautiful evening that we ate outside; there was little street noise. We enjoyed our wine, appetizers and meals. We liked the regional, sustainable, seasonal selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding RestaurantMalcolmDined on 9/22/2014I dined here for my birthday the other day and had a wonderful experience. The service was very helpful without being intruding. The decorations and ambiance are unique and add a lot to the overall experience. The food is some of the best seafood I have had in Chicago. I would definitely recommend the 2 lb striped bass if you have a larger party.Special Features:
- Totally FineeatoutalotDined on 9/20/2014I give Kinmont 3 1/2 stars. Decor was ok, service was fine, food was good, nothing wrong at all. The demerits are because while everything was fine, nothing was great. And in this town today, nothing great means no compelling reason to come back.Special Features:
- Fresh Fish at its bestCityGirlDined on 9/19/2014The food was outstanding. We got the seafood platter as an appetizer for the table, and everything on it was very fresh and flavorful. Several of us ordered the trout in brown butter as our entree which was also so fresh, the best I've ever had. Roasted corn along with heirloom tomato salad rounded out the meal perfectly with the sweet taste of late summer's garden bounty. Service was only fair. Friendly and abundant staff, but service was very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great set-up and nice waitresses - keep up the good work.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinnerRush00Dined on 9/7/2014I went to this restaurant based on the reviews and the menu. I was disappointed because the night we went the chef changed the dinner menu to a four course offering. None of the items I saw on the website menu were available that night. I was also disappointed when I asked if the kitchen could do fried oyster for my daughter since she doesn't eat them raw. We were told NO. I've never had a restaurant reject such a request. They had fried fish, French fries and fried hush puppies that night. I guess it was a major undertaking to flash fry a dozen oysters. Besides that the offerings we had were okay. Very small servings for the $$$. Overall the food was not worth the $$$. In Chicago you can do a lot better.
- Good food terrible servicelive2dineDined on 9/6/2014We waited about a half hour for our appetizer and then another hour for our main course. When the main course arrived the sides were incorrect. They said that they would correct side but it had not arrived by the time for the check. No one said anything to us or responded to our concerns. The only remark that was made came when we ask for the check, we the were told that coffee and dessert were faster. The restaurant and called our home and ask about our experience and I told them. We received no points for this restaurantSpecial Features:
- tfmstrDined on 9/5/2014Both the fish and oysters that we had could not have been any fresher. While I generally do not like trout, I ordered it based upon reviews I had read and they were absolutely spot on. A nice casual atmosphere and the prices aren't too bad. Wines at reasonable prices. Would return any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but they run out of foodsnowflakeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Overall, we had a nice time. The decor is unique with vintage "Field & Stream" magazine articles & covers, oriental rugs on the ceiling, fishing lanterns and dark ornate chandeliers, rustic wooden oars & tables. Food was delicious, but that said, we DID NOT get to pick from the whole menu. Our reservation at 9:15pm had "SOLD OUT" stamped EVERYWHERE on all oyster selections, both seafood towers, the catch of the day and something else in the entree section. It was a little worrying when we sat down and thought "well, are we going to find something we want to eat, despite all the 'SOLD OUT' stamped all over the page??" We did, but 3 of the 4 of us got the same thing, which is kind of telling... No apology given either...Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and trendy decorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014A great west loop gem which features fresh, delicious seafood in a vibrant, romantic atmosphere. I attended for my birthday, and it was the perfect place to celebrate a special meal which was affordable for the quality.Special Features:
- Happy DinerFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I cannot say enough nice things about this restaurant! The food was fresh and flavourful without being too fussy. The server was friendly, knowledgable, had a great sense of timing and intuition. The atmosphere was inviting and laid back without being sloppy. What I loved about it most was that everything was top notch without being pretencious. I am a converted steakhouse patron - Kinmont is my new favorite in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delcious and FuneatsmcgeeDined on 8/27/2014Such a great hidden gem...I can't wait to go back and try the oystersSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerWillGoBackDined on 8/25/2014The food was very flavorful and priced just right. This was a special occasion and the service enhanced the experience. Even after a few days have gone by we still talk about the wonderful dining experience we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.