419 W Superior St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kinmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3129150011x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Brunch 11am - 2:30pm | Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Friday - Saturday 5pm - 11am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Duncan Bidulph
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Kinmont
Those interested in Fishing, Canoeing, Camping, Exploring, Mountain Climbing, Fire Grilling, Fly Fishing and other "Field and Stream" pursuits should be eagerly awaiting the new river north restaurant by Element Collective. Kinmont is proud to source 100% sustainable seafood, heirloom meats and local vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kinmont reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (86)special occasion (55)good for groups (52)great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (42)hot spot (23)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Kinmont is Exceptional!wjmrVIPDined on 10/19/2014Kinmont is a restaurant that hits it out of the park! The food, service and ambiance make it a perfect destination. The sustainable seafood menu is creative and incredibly delicious. It is a great neighborhood destination. And, they call the next morning to see how your experience was. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute and every bite from a most creative kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food!foodie81Dined on 10/18/2014We loved our dinner at Kinmont! The food was great and the drinks were just as good. Our server seemed a little overwhelmed/in a hurry, but overall, we had a great experience and would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Really great foodsmarmorDined on 10/14/2014Went there with a group of 5 and had most of the menu. We had the seafood platter, the gratin, all of the veggie sides, the walleye with brown butter, the risotto and cavatappi, and the chicken fried oysters. The only miss was the fried oysters, which oddly just didn't have that much flavor. The room is really cool, and the service was great. I would HIGHLY recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great 2nd visit!LetsEatOutTonightDined on 10/14/2014This was our second visit to Kinmont, and had been nearly 6 months since first. Another great experience! The service, from bar to table staff, is exceptional. We were happy to be there early and enjoy 1/2 price oysters (excellent variety!) in the bar prior to dining in restaurant. One plus, which we noted immediately, is the absence of televisions anywhere in restaurant (although they do bring one out on occasion, in bar, if there is a sporting event, we were told). I had the fish and chips and my husband ordered Walleye, both dishes satisfying and delicious. The menu isn't large, but it changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerchidineVIPDined on 10/13/2014made this reservation for my husband's birthday while his mom and my parents were in town. I had heard it was one of the newer and better restaurants. I reviewed the menu and even called the restaurant about having a few changes to be made for those of us who are vegetarian. I even ask that the dessert that we order have happy birthday and a candle so it can complete the celebration. We arrive and the ambiance is nice and we are seated right away.The menu is a la carte and we see that one of the veggies is already sold-out and its 730P on Monday evening. We are then told that a couple of more options are sold out and the options are tomatoes, cucumbers and mushrooms- essentially no green vegetables at all or some nutrient-rich side either.Special Features:
- New findChitownrefugeeDined on 10/5/2014We were set to go to a steakhouse when my son mentioned Kinmont. What a wonderful find. The food and service were wonderful. I highly recommend the Sunday special with wine pairings, ours was adventuresome and well thought out. A future visit is guaranteed.Special Features:
- Attention to detailSarahDined on 10/4/2014Delicious, well-executed seafood dishes without pretentiousness and fluff. Chicago-friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:
- too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/28/2014I was hoping this place would live up to the hype but sadly it did not. Every single dish was over salted especially the halibut. The king crab gratin would have been good but it was so salty that you couldn't really enjoy the taste of the crab. The fries were especially cripsy the way I like them but again too salty. I would come back for the drinks but that is all.
- Delish...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great little hidden spot. We started in the bar. The bartender was great describing the menu in detail. While I understand they have reservations coming in, the table they sat us at initially was just horrible. We were able to sit at another table, thank goodness. Joe was a great server, very informative. We started with the oysters and mussels, then had the rushing waters trout as a main entree. All quite tasty. The dessert was decent. I was very impressed with the phone call I received the day after from the hostess thanking us for our visit. Nice touch!Special Features:
- foodnlightsDined on 9/25/2014It was such a beautiful evening that we ate outside; there was little street noise. We enjoyed our wine, appetizers and meals. We liked the regional, sustainable, seasonal selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding RestaurantMalcolmDined on 9/22/2014I dined here for my birthday the other day and had a wonderful experience. The service was very helpful without being intruding. The decorations and ambiance are unique and add a lot to the overall experience. The food is some of the best seafood I have had in Chicago. I would definitely recommend the 2 lb striped bass if you have a larger party.Special Features:
- Totally FineeatoutalotDined on 9/20/2014I give Kinmont 3 1/2 stars. Decor was ok, service was fine, food was good, nothing wrong at all. The demerits are because while everything was fine, nothing was great. And in this town today, nothing great means no compelling reason to come back.Special Features:
- Fresh Fish at its bestCityGirlDined on 9/19/2014The food was outstanding. We got the seafood platter as an appetizer for the table, and everything on it was very fresh and flavorful. Several of us ordered the trout in brown butter as our entree which was also so fresh, the best I've ever had. Roasted corn along with heirloom tomato salad rounded out the meal perfectly with the sweet taste of late summer's garden bounty. Service was only fair. Friendly and abundant staff, but service was very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great set-up and nice waitresses - keep up the good work.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinnerRush00Dined on 9/7/2014I went to this restaurant based on the reviews and the menu. I was disappointed because the night we went the chef changed the dinner menu to a four course offering. None of the items I saw on the website menu were available that night. I was also disappointed when I asked if the kitchen could do fried oyster for my daughter since she doesn't eat them raw. We were told NO. I've never had a restaurant reject such a request. They had fried fish, French fries and fried hush puppies that night. I guess it was a major undertaking to flash fry a dozen oysters. Besides that the offerings we had were okay. Very small servings for the $$$. Overall the food was not worth the $$$. In Chicago you can do a lot better.
- Good food terrible servicelive2dineDined on 9/6/2014We waited about a half hour for our appetizer and then another hour for our main course. When the main course arrived the sides were incorrect. They said that they would correct side but it had not arrived by the time for the check. No one said anything to us or responded to our concerns. The only remark that was made came when we ask for the check, we the were told that coffee and dessert were faster. The restaurant and called our home and ask about our experience and I told them. We received no points for this restaurantSpecial Features:
- tfmstrDined on 9/5/2014Both the fish and oysters that we had could not have been any fresher. While I generally do not like trout, I ordered it based upon reviews I had read and they were absolutely spot on. A nice casual atmosphere and the prices aren't too bad. Wines at reasonable prices. Would return any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but they run out of foodsnowflakeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Overall, we had a nice time. The decor is unique with vintage "Field & Stream" magazine articles & covers, oriental rugs on the ceiling, fishing lanterns and dark ornate chandeliers, rustic wooden oars & tables. Food was delicious, but that said, we DID NOT get to pick from the whole menu. Our reservation at 9:15pm had "SOLD OUT" stamped EVERYWHERE on all oyster selections, both seafood towers, the catch of the day and something else in the entree section. It was a little worrying when we sat down and thought "well, are we going to find something we want to eat, despite all the 'SOLD OUT' stamped all over the page??" We did, but 3 of the 4 of us got the same thing, which is kind of telling... No apology given either...Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and trendy decorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014A great west loop gem which features fresh, delicious seafood in a vibrant, romantic atmosphere. I attended for my birthday, and it was the perfect place to celebrate a special meal which was affordable for the quality.Special Features:
- Happy DinerFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I cannot say enough nice things about this restaurant! The food was fresh and flavourful without being too fussy. The server was friendly, knowledgable, had a great sense of timing and intuition. The atmosphere was inviting and laid back without being sloppy. What I loved about it most was that everything was top notch without being pretencious. I am a converted steakhouse patron - Kinmont is my new favorite in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delcious and FuneatsmcgeeDined on 8/27/2014Such a great hidden gem...I can't wait to go back and try the oystersSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerWillGoBackDined on 8/25/2014The food was very flavorful and priced just right. This was a special occasion and the service enhanced the experience. Even after a few days have gone by we still talk about the wonderful dining experience we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A joy to find.pudgieDined on 8/25/2014The food and service were wonderful. This is a great findSpecial Features:
- So-soMattDined on 8/23/2014Our experience was so-so. We made the reservation a few weeks in advance. The week before our reservation I called twice to push back our reservation by 15 minutes. Both times they told me they could not do it because they were fully booked. When we arrived the place was half full, and it stayed that way throughout the entire meal! Overall there was nothing about Kinmont that really stood out or makes us want to return, especially after that experience with the reservation. Food was pretty good, and so was the service/prices, but the vibe and overall experience was just so-so. There are plenty other restaurants doing the exact same thing, playing the exact same music, and serving the exact same drinks that I would like to check out.
- Disappointing, Puzzling PlaceopenmktDined on 8/22/2014Wanted to love Kinmont. Sustainable seafood needs to be supported. Just wish Kinmont had been better. Some of our meal was very good. A cold seafood platter of crab legs, shrimp cocktail and oysters were tasty. Two quibbles here: First, the crab and shrimp were slightly over-seasoned so the taste of the flesh was lost beneath the salt. More importantly, the oysters were set very carelessly in the ice, causing about half to lose all of their liquor. One was also less than fresh. Some food, like our tomato app and my rockfish, were very carefully plated but the oysters were sloppy. My wife's Friday Fish Fry was abysmal and puzzling. Everything heavily breaded - couldn't taste fish at all - tasting of old oil, dumped on a plate. Baffling. Bad.Special Features:
- Hidden GemChifoodie3113Dined on 8/22/2014Kinmont is a delicious seafood restaurant hidden away in River North. I passed by walking my dogs and peeked at the menu outside. I booked a reservation that night and was so happy that I did! The wait staff was very nice and informative. Our waiter gave us a detailed tour through the menu and was able to answer any questions that we had. My husband and I started our meal with the oysters and they were absolutely divine. They best oysters that either of us had ever had! For our main course, we shared the Shore Dinner (it was plenty for 2!) and it was delicious! Fresh lobster, grilled corn, potatoes, clams, and a delicious kale slaw. I could tell that the seafood was fresh everything was cooked perfectly. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerfostoDined on 8/21/2014my sister's friend, who is known to have fabulous restaurant picks, was a huge fan so we decided to try it out for our 10 year anniversary dinner. kinmont did not disappoint- it was the perfect place to eat on a rainy summer evening. the bartenders and general manager were so friendly and helpful. and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time throughdanngfreeDined on 8/17/2014I've now dined at Kinmont on three occasions: once as a table of four in the middle of a major rush; once with one companion at the start of dinner service; and once for brunch on a Sunday. I have had three amazing experiences and can't possibly recommend Kinmont enough. I have gone the opulent route with dinner - cocktails, bubbly, oysters, apps and the shared entrees. Everything was cooked perfectly and the server was knowledgeable and friendly. A lighter dinner likewise was a perfect experience. And now brunch. An amazing shrimp and grits plate & the soft scrambled egg shared between me and my friend, a delicious Bloody Mary (with oyster) and a great Corpse Reviver #2 on the drink list, and a half-dozen oysters...such amazing meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood! Love the ambience!LeslieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been wanting to go here for a while. Food was excellent! I will definitely return with a larger group so we can sample the shore dinners!
- Extremely disappointing!mam6Dined on 8/16/2014Thought we would try this place for our anniversary dinner. The food is good not exceptional. However, our service was abysmal. We began with cocktails before we ordered our meal. We ordered everything together as that was our servers preference which was a big mistake! Oysters, soup and Lobster gratin all arrived at exactly the same time. Before we could finish our oysters, the entrees arrived which were promptly returned to the kitchen. Wine was ordered prior to our oysters arrival but no where to be seen for 35 minutes, however, it took less than 20 minutes for all our food to arrive. Our server didn't even apologize or offer a complimentary desert, nothing. Front of the house and the window definitely needs work! Won't return
- dinerCmgeVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was great but the service very slow. Dinner took two and a half hours, mostly waiting for somebody to come to the table. Our server asked us how we liked our dessert and they hadn't brought it yet.Special Features:
- Where's the fish?lakeviewdinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went to Kinmont because it is listed as one of the best new restaurants in Chicago and because of their focus on seafood. I found the service good, the atmosphere fun, but not a lot of fish. They had two fish specials and several combinations of raw platters. The oysters may not be typical for Chicago, but every place in town, Steak, Italian, whatever, has two fish specials - so what's the big deal? I had the trout grilled in olive oil and it was very good.
- New place great foodHolndwallfoodieDined on 8/8/2014Wanted a new place in Chicago. This is one that was rated in the top 10 of Chicagos newer restaurants. We were not disappointed at all. Service was on point, food was good, great atmosphere as well. A go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIndaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Ordered a whole fish for Two. Wait staff does not debone. Food was ok but not memorable
- Good, but food is a bit old schoolrwtriVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food here just lacks finesse. Nothing was bad, but everything seemed overly creamy, cheesed, etc. Sort of reminded me of an old steakhouse menu that decided to go fish heavy. Seasoned well, but the prep was clunky (fat cuts of cobia, clunky tartare knife work, etc). Service was competent but slow, even on a slower night. Has more potential than they're letting it realize.Special Features:
- MichaelODined on 8/5/2014Went for my wife's birthday on Tuesday night. Got a great table outside. The wines we had we good. Salmon tartar was very good, along with the wreck fish and walleye. We were going to possibly order another drink/coffee and dessert however our waitress was MIA. Tables on either side from us were receiving great service, and we did up until after receiving entrees. I went inside to the host stand to inquire about our server after finishing. Minutes latter she came out asking if we wanted anything else, not acknowledging the lack of time between visits. The person who I spoke to at the desk came by and said he mentioned to the manager what I said, and he thought they would come by. That never happened so we paid and left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014I loved my dining experience at Kinmont on Saturday. Our server Mark was great and paced our meal perfectly. He had great recommendations and thoughts on what dishes went well together. I am still thinking about the salmon tartare. I had the wreckfish and my friend had the walleye. I would recommend both dishes. We shared a bottle of wine, so I did not get a cocktail, but I've heard they are great. The bar looked like a great place to grab a bite if you can't get a reservation. I can't wait to go back. They have about 10 tables outside on a sidewalk patio. Since it's a quiet part of Superior, I think it would be a great option.Special Features:
- Visit KinmontGreatmealDined on 8/2/2014We absolutely loved this place. Cool interior, great service. But the food was the shining star as it should be. The fish was incredible across everything we ate. The wreck fish was great, cooked perfectly. And I'll go back for the Crudo alone.Special Features:
- Great place with a neat twistChicagoBillVIPDined on 8/2/2014The menu here is very limited, but the food is well-prepared and presented nicely. The wait staff is personable, knowledgeable and attentive without being overly instrusive. Our table of 4 had 3 catch-of-the-day entrees (2 trout and 1 walleye), and the delicious chicken-fried quail. All were excellent. We wished there were salad options, as well as better - and perhaps more - dessert choices. The wine list is good, but like the menu, kind of limited (given the amount of fish dishes, there should be more rieslings and sauvignon blancs - and maybe less chardonnay, which doesn't usually go well with fish). We'll definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodjennlynn995Dined on 7/30/2014This is our second time at Kinmont and again the food was quite good. The risotto, trout, mussels, and linguine were all stand out dishes that we would get again. Only thing to note that I have found as a detriment is how loud it gets in the main room - even w/o it being completely full. The other item would be that the main room also gets quite dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.