419 W Superior St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kinmontrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3129150011x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Brunch 11am - 2:30pm | Dinner 5pm - 10pm
Monday - Thursday 5pm - 10pm
Friday - Saturday 5pm - 11am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Duncan Bidulph
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Kinmont
Those interested in Fishing, Canoeing, Camping, Exploring, Mountain Climbing, Fire Grilling, Fly Fishing and other "Field and Stream" pursuits should be eagerly awaiting the new river north restaurant by Element Collective. Kinmont is proud to source 100% sustainable seafood, heirloom meats and local vegetables.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kinmont reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (95)special occasion (57)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (45)romantic (42)hot spot (27)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Totally FineeatoutalotDined on 9/20/2014I give Kinmont 3 1/2 stars. Decor was ok, service was fine, food was good, nothing wrong at all. The demerits are because while everything was fine, nothing was great. And in this town today, nothing great means no compelling reason to come back.Special Features:
- Fresh Fish at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014The food was outstanding. We got the seafood platter as an appetizer for the table, and everything on it was very fresh and flavorful. Several of us ordered the trout in brown butter as our entree which was also so fresh, the best I've ever had. Roasted corn along with heirloom tomato salad rounded out the meal perfectly with the sweet taste of late summer's garden bounty. Service was only fair. Friendly and abundant staff, but service was very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great set-up and nice waitresses - keep up the good work.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinnerRush00Dined on 9/7/2014I went to this restaurant based on the reviews and the menu. I was disappointed because the night we went the chef changed the dinner menu to a four course offering. None of the items I saw on the website menu were available that night. I was also disappointed when I asked if the kitchen could do fried oyster for my daughter since she doesn't eat them raw. We were told NO. I've never had a restaurant reject such a request. They had fried fish, French fries and fried hush puppies that night. I guess it was a major undertaking to flash fry a dozen oysters. Besides that the offerings we had were okay. Very small servings for the $$$. Overall the food was not worth the $$$. In Chicago you can do a lot better.
- tfmstrDined on 9/5/2014Both the fish and oysters that we had could not have been any fresher. While I generally do not like trout, I ordered it based upon reviews I had read and they were absolutely spot on. A nice casual atmosphere and the prices aren't too bad. Wines at reasonable prices. Would return any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but they run out of foodsnowflakeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Overall, we had a nice time. The decor is unique with vintage "Field & Stream" magazine articles & covers, oriental rugs on the ceiling, fishing lanterns and dark ornate chandeliers, rustic wooden oars & tables. Food was delicious, but that said, we DID NOT get to pick from the whole menu. Our reservation at 9:15pm had "SOLD OUT" stamped EVERYWHERE on all oyster selections, both seafood towers, the catch of the day and something else in the entree section. It was a little worrying when we sat down and thought "well, are we going to find something we want to eat, despite all the 'SOLD OUT' stamped all over the page??" We did, but 3 of the 4 of us got the same thing, which is kind of telling... No apology given either...Special Features:
- Excellent seafood and trendy decorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014A great west loop gem which features fresh, delicious seafood in a vibrant, romantic atmosphere. I attended for my birthday, and it was the perfect place to celebrate a special meal which was affordable for the quality.Special Features:
- Happy DinerFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I cannot say enough nice things about this restaurant! The food was fresh and flavourful without being too fussy. The server was friendly, knowledgable, had a great sense of timing and intuition. The atmosphere was inviting and laid back without being sloppy. What I loved about it most was that everything was top notch without being pretencious. I am a converted steakhouse patron - Kinmont is my new favorite in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delcious and FuneatsmcgeeDined on 8/27/2014Such a great hidden gem...I can't wait to go back and try the oystersSpecial Features:
- Great DinnerWillGoBackDined on 8/25/2014The food was very flavorful and priced just right. This was a special occasion and the service enhanced the experience. Even after a few days have gone by we still talk about the wonderful dining experience we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A joy to find.pudgieDined on 8/25/2014The food and service were wonderful. This is a great findSpecial Features:
- So-soMattDined on 8/23/2014Our experience was so-so. We made the reservation a few weeks in advance. The week before our reservation I called twice to push back our reservation by 15 minutes. Both times they told me they could not do it because they were fully booked. When we arrived the place was half full, and it stayed that way throughout the entire meal! Overall there was nothing about Kinmont that really stood out or makes us want to return, especially after that experience with the reservation. Food was pretty good, and so was the service/prices, but the vibe and overall experience was just so-so. There are plenty other restaurants doing the exact same thing, playing the exact same music, and serving the exact same drinks that I would like to check out.
- Disappointing, Puzzling PlaceopenmktDined on 8/22/2014Wanted to love Kinmont. Sustainable seafood needs to be supported. Just wish Kinmont had been better. Some of our meal was very good. A cold seafood platter of crab legs, shrimp cocktail and oysters were tasty. Two quibbles here: First, the crab and shrimp were slightly over-seasoned so the taste of the flesh was lost beneath the salt. More importantly, the oysters were set very carelessly in the ice, causing about half to lose all of their liquor. One was also less than fresh. Some food, like our tomato app and my rockfish, were very carefully plated but the oysters were sloppy. My wife's Friday Fish Fry was abysmal and puzzling. Everything heavily breaded - couldn't taste fish at all - tasting of old oil, dumped on a plate. Baffling. Bad.Special Features:
- Hidden GemChifoodie3113Dined on 8/22/2014Kinmont is a delicious seafood restaurant hidden away in River North. I passed by walking my dogs and peeked at the menu outside. I booked a reservation that night and was so happy that I did! The wait staff was very nice and informative. Our waiter gave us a detailed tour through the menu and was able to answer any questions that we had. My husband and I started our meal with the oysters and they were absolutely divine. They best oysters that either of us had ever had! For our main course, we shared the Shore Dinner (it was plenty for 2!) and it was delicious! Fresh lobster, grilled corn, potatoes, clams, and a delicious kale slaw. I could tell that the seafood was fresh everything was cooked perfectly. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerfostoDined on 8/21/2014my sister's friend, who is known to have fabulous restaurant picks, was a huge fan so we decided to try it out for our 10 year anniversary dinner. kinmont did not disappoint- it was the perfect place to eat on a rainy summer evening. the bartenders and general manager were so friendly and helpful. and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time throughdanngfreeDined on 8/17/2014I've now dined at Kinmont on three occasions: once as a table of four in the middle of a major rush; once with one companion at the start of dinner service; and once for brunch on a Sunday. I have had three amazing experiences and can't possibly recommend Kinmont enough. I have gone the opulent route with dinner - cocktails, bubbly, oysters, apps and the shared entrees. Everything was cooked perfectly and the server was knowledgeable and friendly. A lighter dinner likewise was a perfect experience. And now brunch. An amazing shrimp and grits plate & the soft scrambled egg shared between me and my friend, a delicious Bloody Mary (with oyster) and a great Corpse Reviver #2 on the drink list, and a half-dozen oysters...such amazing meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood! Love the ambience!LeslieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been wanting to go here for a while. Food was excellent! I will definitely return with a larger group so we can sample the shore dinners!
- Extremely disappointing!mam6Dined on 8/16/2014Thought we would try this place for our anniversary dinner. The food is good not exceptional. However, our service was abysmal. We began with cocktails before we ordered our meal. We ordered everything together as that was our servers preference which was a big mistake! Oysters, soup and Lobster gratin all arrived at exactly the same time. Before we could finish our oysters, the entrees arrived which were promptly returned to the kitchen. Wine was ordered prior to our oysters arrival but no where to be seen for 35 minutes, however, it took less than 20 minutes for all our food to arrive. Our server didn't even apologize or offer a complimentary desert, nothing. Front of the house and the window definitely needs work! Won't return
- dinerCmgeVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was great but the service very slow. Dinner took two and a half hours, mostly waiting for somebody to come to the table. Our server asked us how we liked our dessert and they hadn't brought it yet.Special Features:
- Where's the fish?lakeviewdinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014We went to Kinmont because it is listed as one of the best new restaurants in Chicago and because of their focus on seafood. I found the service good, the atmosphere fun, but not a lot of fish. They had two fish specials and several combinations of raw platters. The oysters may not be typical for Chicago, but every place in town, Steak, Italian, whatever, has two fish specials - so what's the big deal? I had the trout grilled in olive oil and it was very good.
- New place great foodHolndwallfoodieDined on 8/8/2014Wanted a new place in Chicago. This is one that was rated in the top 10 of Chicagos newer restaurants. We were not disappointed at all. Service was on point, food was good, great atmosphere as well. A go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but food is a bit old schoolrwtriVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food here just lacks finesse. Nothing was bad, but everything seemed overly creamy, cheesed, etc. Sort of reminded me of an old steakhouse menu that decided to go fish heavy. Seasoned well, but the prep was clunky (fat cuts of cobia, clunky tartare knife work, etc). Service was competent but slow, even on a slower night. Has more potential than they're letting it realize.Special Features:
- MichaelODined on 8/5/2014Went for my wife's birthday on Tuesday night. Got a great table outside. The wines we had we good. Salmon tartar was very good, along with the wreck fish and walleye. We were going to possibly order another drink/coffee and dessert however our waitress was MIA. Tables on either side from us were receiving great service, and we did up until after receiving entrees. I went inside to the host stand to inquire about our server after finishing. Minutes latter she came out asking if we wanted anything else, not acknowledging the lack of time between visits. The person who I spoke to at the desk came by and said he mentioned to the manager what I said, and he thought they would come by. That never happened so we paid and left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014I loved my dining experience at Kinmont on Saturday. Our server Mark was great and paced our meal perfectly. He had great recommendations and thoughts on what dishes went well together. I am still thinking about the salmon tartare. I had the wreckfish and my friend had the walleye. I would recommend both dishes. We shared a bottle of wine, so I did not get a cocktail, but I've heard they are great. The bar looked like a great place to grab a bite if you can't get a reservation. I can't wait to go back. They have about 10 tables outside on a sidewalk patio. Since it's a quiet part of Superior, I think it would be a great option.Special Features:
- Visit KinmontGreatmealDined on 8/2/2014We absolutely loved this place. Cool interior, great service. But the food was the shining star as it should be. The fish was incredible across everything we ate. The wreck fish was great, cooked perfectly. And I'll go back for the Crudo alone.Special Features:
- Great place with a neat twistChicagoBillVIPDined on 8/2/2014The menu here is very limited, but the food is well-prepared and presented nicely. The wait staff is personable, knowledgeable and attentive without being overly instrusive. Our table of 4 had 3 catch-of-the-day entrees (2 trout and 1 walleye), and the delicious chicken-fried quail. All were excellent. We wished there were salad options, as well as better - and perhaps more - dessert choices. The wine list is good, but like the menu, kind of limited (given the amount of fish dishes, there should be more rieslings and sauvignon blancs - and maybe less chardonnay, which doesn't usually go well with fish). We'll definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodjennlynn995Dined on 7/30/2014This is our second time at Kinmont and again the food was quite good. The risotto, trout, mussels, and linguine were all stand out dishes that we would get again. Only thing to note that I have found as a detriment is how loud it gets in the main room - even w/o it being completely full. The other item would be that the main room also gets quite dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait!KurlunDined on 7/29/2014Even though it took almost an hour for our main courses, the food was excellent. The waitress wasn't very attentive and didn't say anything about the wait. We were a little pressed for time so next time we go, and we definitely will, we'll leave ourselves more time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood spotason83jayDined on 7/28/2014Went to dinner with my wife and her sister. The whole fish was absolutely delicious! The oysters were also great. I had the waiter's suggestion of the trout. The fish itself was great, but the topping was not my thing. I scraped most of it off and enjoyed the fish by itself. The steak filet was not bad, but nothing special. I would stick to seafood next time. Cocktails were very tasty.
- They are all correctTreilly1945Dined on 7/27/2014This restaurant is new since last February. The reviews that loved this place are all correct. I had the trout and it was excellent! My wife had a great dinner as well. She really liked the oysters and tried them all!Special Features:
- delicious!foodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014took our out of town friends who have strict eating habits and everyone loved it. the food was delicious and beautifully prepared. the restaurant itself was beautiful and inviting. one of our favorite new restaurants. only gave it four stars because it was very pricey so we won't be able to go back very often...Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodEagle779VIPDined on 7/25/2014We sat outside, which was very pleasant and avoided the noisy interior. The food was surprisingly good. Very fresh shrimp, perfectly prepared walleye, and a risotto which looked a bit unusual but tasted great. Friendly and attentive service. The limited wine list had a few decent wines at reasonable prices, both by the glass and by the bottle. The outside seating is badly designed, requiring the server to do some gymnastics to get around the tables. Overall an outstanding neighborhood place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Options for Non-fish DinersrsmchiDined on 7/25/2014They should have some type of chicken/ poultry as a staple on the menu for non-fish eaters. Yelp indicated there was a great Amish chicken and I was disappointed they had only a steak & risotto as only options. I was told by management they only served products that they believed were good quality. I understand; however, seems that there is always some type of poultry that would meet their guidelines.
- Amazing new find!StephDined on 7/24/2014Found Kinmont through Chicago magazines list of best new restaurants and decided to go here to celebrate a birthday. The ambiance was amazing and the food was even better! The Shore Dinner was huge and beyond delicious and reasonably priced. I have already recommended it to several friends and will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osyters are Worth the TripFoodiequeenVIPDined on 7/19/2014So I was VERY underwhelmed by the service and entrees. So the space is creative and amazing. Drink list great and I enjoyed my drink so much I did have a second although it took it about the time we were ready to pay the check that it came. So oysters and shrimp cocktail was very good we did the captains choice and he picked well! We also ordered the shrimp bisque and it was ok. The entrees not so good fish & chips were the regular run of the mill and my linguine and clams was down right gross. The waiter was very nice and sweet but was so slow on getting us everything from keeping ice tea refilled to getting me my second drink ordered during dinner that came when our check did??? Probably wont return or recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014we really enjoyed our dinner at Kinmont - food was very good, as was our server. It was a bit loud, we were a table of 4 and it was hard to hear at times - but overall we enjoyed our experience and would definintely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kimrestaurantquestDined on 7/18/2014Quite quaint restaurant with wonderful food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Totally EnjoyedTerriBVIPDined on 7/7/2014Went to Kinmont for the first time the other night and totally enjoyed it. We had oysters, delicious. We had the whitefish salad, also delicious. Then we had the whole fish, which was delicious too. We didn't order dessert, but our excellent waitress was kind enough to send one over anyway. Our experience was excellent, and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Hit or Miss at KinmontOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2014Stylish ambience, a sincere server and carefully sourced food do not, unfortunately, always add up to a good dining experience. One outstanding dish -- the soft boiled egg with cheesy grits and chicken livers -- could not overcome failings in other courses. For a restaurant that touts it oysters, serving one out of six that is below standard (dry/anemic) is not acceptable. But the real failing was the whole roasted fish. An ill-considered preparation -- topping a whole fish with a mound of dry, underseasoned slaw -- does not make it easy to debone a fish meant for two. Our server's clear lack of experience in serving whole fish left us with plates full of a tepid mixture of bones, fish and slaw. Hit or miss, but mostly miss.
- Just averageLuvchicagodiningDined on 6/28/2014We were so excited to get a reservation at Kinmont, but the experience was just average. While the oysters, Parker rolls, and salad we ordered were very good, our entrees were average and a little disappointing; especially since our server described everything as "excellent" when we asked her opinion. Also, no ambiance here if you get one of the tables seated along the wall that are so close together our server's behind was on our table as she took the order from the table next door. Why do new restaurants insist on bench seating that crams tables within a foot of each other? I wouldn't go back. Too msny other great restaurants. The bar, however, looked cozy. If we had eaten in there., mIght have had a totally different experience.