201 South B. St.
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kingfish.net/
- Phone: 6503431226
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Saturday 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from KINGFISH
Kingfish offers Fresh Seafood flown in from around the world, Fire grilled Prime Steak, Wagyu Ribeye, Signature Spicy BBQ Shrimp, Ice Cold Fresh Oysters and our famous Tuna Tartare from the marble slab Oyster Bar, and a winelist with over 400 selections makes Kingfish THE place. Blending tasty FRESH, HIGH QUALITY ingredients with a fun environment is why Kingfish makes the decision about where to go to dinner an easy one. Kingfish also provides numerous spacious banquet facilities for parties as small as 10 people to groups as large as 400 people. Kingfish offers live entertainment on occasion, 3 full bars, and an energetic night life. Kingfish does offer Valet!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
KINGFISH reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (49)special occasion (35)fit for foodies (33)vibrant bar scene (25)great for lunch (22)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- quality foodaidyltVIPDined on 9/27/2014Brought out-of-town guests to Kingfish for the seafood. The server was very polite, but was very busy dealing with large tables around us, so it was hard to get his attention when we needed it. An appetizer didn't show up, but when we pointed it out, he quickly removed it from our order and bill. These were minor issues, and were quickly overlooked when the food arrived. The salads, though small, were wonderful, and all of the seafood dishes were cooked to perfection. My guests and I left satiated and happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Service OKKathybVIPDined on 9/26/2014Have come here many times before. Seated immediately as we had a reservation. Ordered 1/2dozen oysters as appetizer. Oysters were outstanding as were the sauces they are served with, however, our salad came first and we had to ask our waitress about where were the oysters. They were sitting downstairs at the oyster bar as we could see them. We also had to ask for bread as well, This should be automatic. Our server was nice but she rushed us through dinner and dessert. I don't come here to gulp down my food. Food was excellent as always. I had the scallops that were cooked perfectly and my BF had the pork chop which he really enjoyed. This is not a restaurant where I want to rush through my meal.Special Features:
- Just FantasticAddiesDadVIPDined on 9/24/2014Great bar, great service (get the Sazerac made table side!), fantastic food! Everything about my visit was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be bettercadz8VIPDined on 9/17/2014We have dined at Kingfish many times over the years and always enjoyed it. This time the restaurant was extremely loud which made conversation difficult. And the food,while good,definitely did not meet previous standards. Underdone steak,bland jambalaya. Tuna tartare and cabbage salad excellent. Will give it another chance--may just have been an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KingfishNiffersVIPDined on 9/14/2014Kingfish has the BEST skirt steak around! Super YUM!!! Oyster Bar is wonderful and fresh!!! Staff is super friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/14/2014we took our 12 year old son here. He ordered a $14 cheeseburger, so, we expected it to be good size. The patty was meat patty was smaller than the bun. I thought it must be the kids burger, but, it did come with the bacon, etc, so I knew it wasn't. He and we were pretty disappointed. We enjoyed what we ordered, and our server was good. It was just like where's the beef?
- Great place for dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/13/2014I liked the overall dinner last night since it gave me a chance to meet up some old friends and to have a nice dinner at KINGFISH. I am, however, unsatisfied that I did not get my opentable 100 points since I was there for dinner..... =( Hopefully, the restaurant mgmt will review this post and make the appropriate adjustments....Special Features:
- GoodmargoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Haven't been here for awhile but got an email advertising a special so we decided to go. I had the skirt steak special which was very good. Service was just ok. The scary thing was that our waiter was training someone. He didn't introduce himself nor tell us about the special.Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedWellhereitisDined on 9/7/2014Second time here. Was here almost one year ago to date. Some same menu items so I tried what I ordered last time and something new. Not as good as last time. Service was good when the server was there but didn't come once for a drink refill and took quite awhile for everything else. Was moderately busy but still a very manageable amount to at least check on us here and there. Seems the server was there to order and there to ask if we wanted dessert. Other than that the food was mediocre. Probably won't go back soon. Maybe another year? We'll see.Special Features:
- CalichickDined on 9/6/2014Nice & quiet the restaurant but the menu was very limited
- Bring Back the Old MenuMLBJVIPDined on 9/6/2014Kingfish is always solid. But the recent menu changes limit the offerings and some of the best dishes are no longer offered. Not sure why management chose to do this but preferred the previous menu.Special Features:
- No Prime RibDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Great food, but unfortunately a month ago they stopped offering prime rib. It was the best in the area! So unfortunately we won't be going as often.Special Features:
- Waitress was highOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/25/2014This is the first time that I have had horrible service from Kingfish. If the waitress was not high, then she was extremely tired or extremely clumsy!
- Great food!sby14Dined on 8/23/2014The shrimp etouffee (sp?) was excellent and our server was very helpful. Great night out and I will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barry3Dined on 8/17/2014Food was good, one person in our party ordered clams and oysters, good taste but they were very small. We changed our booth are not at mid level heights for all diners, otherwise your chin is on the table. A little pricey on some items, but good atmosphere for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- BAD PLACEBigDogDined on 8/15/2014TERRIBLE FOOD, SERVICE WOULD NOT RECOMEND TO ANYONE FOR ANY MEAL. SERVICE SLOW MEALS LACKED SUBSTANCE.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/11/2014We are (were) regulars at Kingfish. Dined there last night for a family birthday. Service was non-existent. Food was below average. We ordered 3 appetizers (calamari, tuna tartar, grilled artichoke) - the calamari was terrible (overcooked and hard), we order the tartar every time we dine at Kingfish - it was bland. The artichoke was burned (we didn't even eat it). Entrees we all just ok. Miso cod was drenched in a very sweet sauce. Honestly the service was just bad - it wasn't that our server was rude, just barely there. They changed the menu - maybe an attempt to mix things up to try to compete with all the newer restaurants in the neighborhood. Sorry to say we will not be back.
- Missing that something....OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/11/2014Hostess was great. Bar and drink selection is good. Plenty of large party space, we had a great booth (very roomy). Service stumbled a bit (dirty glasses, mixed up the oysters, didn't check on us much, confused about our wine requests). Menu falls a few steps below Nola's and Town. Food was decent but nothing that stuck with me. Probably better for just drinks and appetizers? AC wasn't working and it was way to hot.Special Features:
- Great service with ChrisAdamVIPDined on 8/6/2014Thought the table was going to be too busy but Chris made the experience first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood in San MateoGordonVIPDined on 8/1/2014There are only 2 places in downtown San Mateo that I know of. This is the better of the two.
- Great food.. Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014Took a long time for someone to take drinks or appetizer order. Had to ask for bread. But, that aside.. The food was delicious (as always)! Had the crab Louie salad, prime rib, and Filet.. All were great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerFab6Dined on 7/25/2014The jambalaya was fantastic. The spice/heat was just perfect, didn't have to add hot sauce. The earthenware bowl kept the meal nice and hot throughout our stay. Tried the Pomegranate cocktail which was too sweet for my taste. I still had half a glass when the Jambalaya arrived, and the sweetness was a perfect match for it and most complimentary.Special Features:
- Happening Spotdrdot2bDined on 7/19/2014Great place. Very lively atmosphere. The last 2 times I have visited there has been some sort of party going on. But still kid friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spending our gift card!luvvansVIPDined on 7/18/2014Received a gift card from a friend. Really enjoyed the bartender & the drinks he made. The Shrimp Etoufee & the Sea Bass were wonderful & plentiful. we will return soon!Special Features:
- KingfishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/17/2014The beer and crab soup is always great! The ahi tuna is also very good. The seabass was bland. Our service was terrible. Didn't get half the stuff we asked for, our server was not attentive which would've been ok if he were slammed but I saw him standing around doing nothing. At one point he opened the shade and the sun was blinding. I asked that he close it a bit he rolled his eyes and let the shade drop all the way down in a dramatic way. Also there were 3 hostesses on duty. They were standing around doing nothing and when one first brought us to our table she handed us our menus and one was filthy with food stuck to it. I've always been a Kingfish fan but this experience was a bit frustrating.Special Features:
- EnjoyableMorganhilleweDined on 7/17/2014We had a great dinner. The steamed clams were the best ever. So was the crab soup with cornbread croutons. It was loaded with fresh crab. Lemonade chicken, fish and chips, skirt steak were excellent. Ordered skirt steak medium and it came out medium rare. Beer was little pricey. Would definitely visit this restaurant againSpecial Features:
- Hot, but not just spicy!JohnDoughVIPDined on 7/14/2014The upstairs dining room was intolerably overheated and there was a constant loud whining & humming noise which also made the floors vibrate and dining peacefully very difficult. We couldn't really focus on the food because of being so uncomfortable. Other than the fact that you have to struggle to peel your own shrimp in the various dishes, which is a major turn off, especially when they are buried in sauces etc. the food seemed ok. Service was friendly and not over the top.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Oyster BarseafoodyumDined on 7/13/2014Food was good- fair to over priced. great mixture of options. great wine list. service was horrible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinewmyfineDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I have been dining at Kingfish since it was opened and we have been going through the menu trying the different dishes. We enjoy the food and atmosphere. Its nice we live close by and can walk to the building.Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingLocalGalVIPDined on 7/12/2014Kingfish is always a winner. We were seated upstairs where both servers who helped us were outstanding. Fresh oysters were excellent. Prime Rib was nothing to write home about but Crispy Salmon was outstanding- very special.Special Features:
- Wait staff of 1 for table of 17RocaDined on 7/10/2014Reservations for 17 for lunch. Got 1 waiter. Unacceptable. Good thing the food was good because waiter could not handle 17 people.Special Features:
- Always ReliableBigEdDined on 7/3/2014I am a regular at this restaurant and the food and service have ALWAYS been good. Can't recommend it enough. Great seafood and a very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/27/2014Came here for my birthday dinner, just my husband and I, and I have to say it was a disappointment. Appetizers: calamari, it was chewy, so over cooked, and the gumbo, the roux was spot on,but there was hardly any rice,chicken,ect. that are the main ingredients. Entree:jambalaya, needed more spice and the Crispy skin salmon, it was alright. For the price we paid for the meal, it's not worth returning.
- Not as good as it once was......mbrockalexanderDined on 6/27/2014Met a friend from out of town for dinner. Ordered calamari and twice had to send it back because they were overcooked. Ran out of Makers Mark at the bar, too. Not the best experience. Was not as good as before.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationronnieVIPDined on 6/26/2014They took in our cake, kept it refrigerated, then cut it and served it!Special Features:
- Salmon is always a reliable choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014Been here many times when in town from So Cal. Great food, great service but always packed so noise level is high.Special Features:
- Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014Although the food is always very good, the restaurant was a bit of a mess. It was Father's Day, the reservations were packed, the kitchen was backed up over an hour and the service at the table was very slow. Our 6:30 dinner turned into a 7:45 dinner. I would have thought with it being a celebrated day, they would have over staffed, but that was not the case.
- Food was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/15/2014Our previous visit was better. The prime rib was bland. The Fish from the fish and chips was a little soggy, maybe batter was too light. The baked potato was small and didn't have bacon on it. French fries were very good. They ran out of dinner rolls. How could they run out at 6pm? Service was good even though we were in a dark corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great salmon saladBeverlyDined on 6/15/2014Nice atmosphere, not loud. Waiters friendly. Took my sisters and mom there for a sister's birthday dinner. I really liked the pomegranite and vodka drink.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad this isn't my first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Glad this isn't my first time here. This is actually my favorite restaurant. Great food and great cocktails. But for Father's Day it was one of worst experiences at a restaurant. Our waiter was simply not very good. He had no personality which I didn't mind but to go along with it he was unattentive to the point he almost didn't exist. Iced teas and water glasses were never refilled. We didn't get sugar for the iced teas. Our cocktails didn't come out until after our salads. Also we ordered oysters which never made it to the table. I had to make sure we didn't get charged for them. Very disappointed with the service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.