Kingfish - New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Kingfish - New Orleans
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kingfishneworleans.com/
- Phone: 5045985005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Greg Sonnier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Kingfish - New Orleans
Kingfish features New Louisiana Cuisine from beloved New Orleans Chef Greg Sonnier. The menu reflects Greg’s Louisiana-centric approach to food. At the bar enjoy both traditional New Orleans style cocktails, such as the Sazerac or the Pimm's Cup, as well as modern cocktails created by New Orleans famous mixologist Chris McMillian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kingfish - New Orleans - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Kingfish - New Orleans reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)vibrant bar scene (47)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (28)hot spot (26)great for lunch (22)romantic (19)good for groups (19)notable wine list (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Not only was my food great, my server was on point the entire time. She was very timely w/ my re-fills and made wonderful food and drink recommendation. The server should get praised by her management for being so great at her job. I have already recommended the restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great meal!GGGerstDined on 10/23/2014The shrimp & scallops on cheese grits special was awesome! Our server was very personable, and made great recommendations. I will recommend Kingfish to all my friends travelling to New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceimaneaterVIPDined on 10/21/2014We were in New Orleans on a business trip, and our dinner at Kingfish was wonderful. Off of Bourbon Street, which was very pleasant. Nice atmosphere, great cocktails, delicious flavors. Not inexpensive, but a great dining experience. Service was excellent. Food was very fresh and creatively assembled. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Up-market Pub Meal!curwenVIPDined on 10/20/2014Slow seating but friendly and helpful server (Angelica). My companion had a new cocktail (French Pearl) that she really enjoyed, I had NOLA Hopitoulas IPA. Beet salad for her and (N.O.) pork scratchings – more scratchings than pork - for me. Tables well-separated and not overwhelmingly noisy. Good ambience! Unfortunately, pot pie was off so I had rabbit with blue cheese string potatoes. The cheese and meat went well together but I didn’t think that I could detect rabbit in the meat even after removing the sauce. My companions’ Shrimp Gaufre went down well with my braised spinach – perhaps I’m just pickier. Total was $135 – mixed feelings about the place and I really think charging for bottled non-sparkling water is nickel-and-diming
- Delish!TXFamilyDined on 10/19/2014Cedar plank fish (sheep head fish ) Get past the name . It was wonderfully mild fish cooked on cedar with canjun seasoning. Beautiful presentation and light strawberry salad side. Looking for new cocktail, have Pimms Cup. Mellow infused gin with berries, cucumber and topped with champagne. Our Teenager had shrimp waffle dish minus shrimp and enjoyed. Preteen had warm crusty bread and promise of mcdonalds. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencetottsDined on 10/19/2014Loved, loved , loved this restaurant. Our waiter Patrick was awesome. Fun to talk to , great service. Enjoyed our food and conversation. We went for our anniversary and we felt special there. Have already recommended this restaurant to my friendsSpecial Features:
- DisappointingBgoodDined on 10/18/2014Service was so slow. Had a 8pm reservation. The waitress took our orders, but EVERTHING was slow to come. Drinks came too slow, hence the dinner order didn't go in until 20 minutes after our arrival. Then a bag of bread arrived 10 minutes later. So if it's in a bag, why does it take 30 minutes to get to your table!? 9pm no waitress. Asking for her, she comes and apologizes saying dinner will be out shortly. She should come sooner on her own. We note that the restaurant is not even half full. Mgr comes over and apologizes. Offers drinks but we really just want food. When we say it's been an hour, he corrects us and says the order's been in for 35 minutes! That was the biggest offense. Not the way handle it. Won't go back or recommend.
- NOLAJoejo66VIPDined on 10/17/2014The est restaurant that I have been in NOLA for the 3 days that I was there. The waitress was so welcoming and warmSpecial Features:
- French Quarter dining3girlsDined on 10/16/2014We went to Kingdish on several recommendations from friends. After days of eating sea food we wanted some meat. My husband ordered the rib eye which was okay but he had food envy with my pulled pork pot pie. It was yummy comfort food! The service was average compared to the other places we had been to already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitHappydinerDined on 10/16/2014We were given a gift card and looked forward to our first visit. The seating was very good, across from the bar; I was given my choice. We were early so the service started slow but as they got busier, the service became more acceptable. The food was excellent. Served hot and large portions. The Hoppin' Jack salad was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno peppers. He also had the Cochon de lait Pot Pie while I had Shrimp Gaufre with Jumbo barbeque shrimp; it was to die for and the cheesecake was huge and made from scratch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Experience in NOLAOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Kingfish! Food was outstanding and our waiter was attentive without hovering. We had the bacon wrapped scallops and the Cowboy steak. Both dishes exceeded expectations with generous portions. The jalapeno appetizer was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in NOLAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Food and service were great. The salt brick fish is a must try.Special Features:
- Good food good serviceJimboDined on 10/11/2014We ate here on the last night of a 6 night stay in N.O. After meals at overhyped and over large impersonal Delmonico and Captains Palace, this was an excellent finale. Main course scallops with shrimp was perfectly cooked and seasoned without the typical over salting found in most NO food. Server Tim Kelly was attentive and even entertaining. Thanks for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and tasty fareclothierDined on 10/10/2014Great selection of entrees with many items not found on menus often. Mirliton and rabbit,for example of which the mirliton was almost as good as my momma used to make. This fish choices are exceptional, without being very heavy.Special Features:
- Unique menu; serious food.loueatsDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant has a great bar for pre-dinner drinks, with a serious bartender who knows his stuff. Interesting menu with an emphasis on local cuisine---we enjoyed the fish baked on a block of salt! Reasonable prices and very good service.Special Features:
- Recommended by a FoodiemratlasDined on 9/22/2014We were seated promptly. Atmosphere was ok. Since this place came recommended by a foodie, I had higher expectations but was ultimately let down. Food was late and cold. Service was below satisfactory. Very reluctant to recommend this place due to the poor service.Special Features:
- Wonderful FlavorsBopperDined on 9/21/2014All of our dishes were just great. The combination of sauces was wonderful. the whole deboned stuffed flounder was just incredible. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Yum!!!Meri333Dined on 9/19/2014What a great place!!! I'd highly recommend the rabbit gumbo!! Our waiter, Chris R, was wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NOLA's Best in the QuarterdavedineDined on 9/19/2014There are so many GREAT restaurants in the French Quarter that it would almost be impossible to make a list of the best, but Kingfish would be on the list. I've eaten here several times both for romantic dining and private celebrations and I am never disappointed in the food or drinks. The menu is diverse enough to please anyone - and feel free to ask the wait staff about any of the dishes if you are unsure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014Fish tacos were good. Service was good.that our first day in New Orleans. Our server gave us good info about jazz places where locals go. That was certainly very helpful.Special Features:
- aeropostleDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food. Friendly waiters. Great ambiance. A definite repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidThelumenDined on 9/12/2014This place was talked up to me by quite a few foodie friends so we put it on our list to try. The drinks were absolutely some of the best in town and the food was completely solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KingfishgritsgalDined on 9/11/2014The Gulf fish dish was divine! The server was friendly and charming without being intrusive. He was very good.Special Features:
- DeliciouscndrelaDined on 8/31/2014Kingfish was recommended to us by a friend. We really loved the food and the dinner service was excellent. I would definitely go there again - and will suggest it to friends travelling to NOLA. The only critique I have for the restaurant is that when we arrived there was no one at the hostess stand. The bartenders all saw us standing there and no one acknowledged us. A waiter approached the stand - saw us and turned around. It was approximately five minutes before the hostess appeared. The restaurant had seated a large party and she was detained due to that. If one of the other staff had just acknowledged us it would have made all the difference.Special Features:
- Classy but not stuffy!JeffandPattiDined on 8/30/2014Thoroughly enjoyed Kingfish! It was a special occasion meeting up with military friends from 20 yrs ago. They were able to give us the wonderful table in the front window, didn't rush or interrupt our conversation! It was on the Top10/2013 list, well deserved! We shared appetizers, bacon wrapped jalapeño/Cajun sausage wonton/shrimp&okra/blue crab chop, All equally incredible! Go with what your hungry for, Husband had Every Man A King Fish (Pompano on a salt brick)!!! I had scallops special!!! Our friends had Cedarplank fish and Duck special!!! Nice wine list and cocktails. Sorry can't comment on dessert, my favorite, but couldn't fit it in! Will definitely go back when in town! Great job Kingfish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect celebration!6localfoodiesDined on 8/23/2014Our family of six, including four young adult sons, had the absolute time of our lives at King Fish. The food was superb and the waitstaff simply wonderful. I would say they were naturally New Orleans! We were celebrating one last summer night before the oldest boys returned to college and this was the perfect setting. Our waiter gave great menu advice, both for food and cocktails. The staff laughed right along with us and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal from start to finish. Greg Sonnier and his staff are geniuses at making folks feel welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huey would love itThptrekVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere. Alligator wings were ok. Fish on rock salt was good. As your waiter to transfer it onto regular plate to avoid a mess. Duck with ramen was also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerJoshBDined on 8/16/2014This last weekend my fiance and I were in NOLA just getting away for the weekend, I wanted to propose to her but first I wanted to have a nice dinner before I popped the question. I had no idea where to have dinner at so I used this app and looked at reviews and prices, This was a great fit for anyone who like to dress up a little or alot and have ether a bar or a dinner to themselfs. I booked for 8:45 and once we got there told them and boom got the table ready. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left me coldNOLAJOEVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great bar. Lively fun French Quarter scene. My entree was cold inside and it was a deep dish pot pie with smoked pork. Tasty but it made me wonder about the kitchen prep and the rest of the food. Worth a second chance though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceBeanLadyDined on 8/8/2014We got there 15 mins before closing (our plane was late getting in) and they served us graciously even though I'm sure they were ready to shut it down. French 75s were delicious! The Cedarplank Pompano was cooked perfectly and was a fairly large piece. Definitely would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative comfort foodBreifneVIPDined on 8/3/2014This casual restaurant served better and more creative food than some white-tablecloth places we've eaten in Nola. Rabbit in merlot reduction -- outstanding. Very memorable. Nice wine selection. Friendly prompt service. Great experience.Special Features:
- Desserts were great!PhilaPhanDined on 8/3/2014Went with friends for drinks, apps, and dessert. Skip the sausage won tons. The crab cake was great! The pecan pie was incredible! The cheese cake was delicious. They do not have sweet tea. The alcohol specialty drinks were tiny. I had the blueberry one and though tasty it wasn't great and was very small. Their margaritas were also very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huey P Long Would Be ProudMichaelVIPDined on 8/3/2014The bar area is not huge but it is great and the bartenders know their craft cocktails. We had a group of 6 and ordered various cocktails that were well made. The burger is the thing to get, well seasoned, and the sweet potato waffle fries paired well with it. Definitely a low key place to stop for a great cocktail and food. Only thing that might be lacking is a "bar menu" some of finger foods to eat while drinking at the bar, be it nuts and olives or homemade sweet potato chips.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGreyhoundDDined on 8/2/2014My wife had a cocktail at the bar before our table was ready and was very impressed with the bartender and her drink. The restaurant was upscale and was a perfect romantic setting for our meal. My wife had the fish and it was excellent. I had the bone in ribeye. It was cooked perfectly, but the first steak was extremely difficult to cut and worse to chew. I sent it back. The waiter even said he tried to cut it and couldnt. The second steak was also cooked perfectly but same story, very stringy and tough to chew. The waiter came back and asked if this steak was any better and I said no not really. He shrugged and walked away. We didnt see him again until he brought the check. I can only go by my experience but have had much better for less.Special Features:
- Great French Quarter locationJulie504VIPDined on 8/1/2014Kingish is a nice addition to the burgeoning FQ dining scene. Longtime New Orleans favorite chef Greg Sonnier has hit the right note with bar food plus some ambitious foodie items.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsSuz4Dined on 7/30/2014This was recommended by my oldest daughter. She had heard it was very good. We all had different types of fish. The salad was great with the homemade vinaigrette. We also had the chocolate mousse/pudding and the cheesecake. It was topped with real blueberries. It was delicious. I would come back and dine here again.Special Features:
- Good Creole FoodVirga017FoodieDined on 7/30/2014Kingfish is a very good restaurant. Food was very good, but did not have the exciting and unique flavors as some other restaurants in New Orleans. I had a seafood gumbo, which was really good, especially the fresh fish and alligator sausage. Wine list was good, but not as extensive as expected. Atmosphere and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CRACKLINGS!!!!!TinalemansDined on 7/27/2014The food at Kingfish was fantastic. The appetizer of duck,pork and poultry cracklings were a sinful delight! The kingfish on a salt brick was outstanding as was the cedar plank prepared gulf fish, and of course I must Mention the manchego grits! Our waiter, I believe his name was Martin, was as warm and friendly as you could ever want. Delicious cocktails great food and terrific service, you can't ask for much more!Special Features:
- Fit for a King!JaybeingJayDined on 7/21/2014One of my favorite places! We're so lucky to have Chef Sonnier back creating his amazing food in NOLA! Tried the Cochon de lait Pot Pie for the first time & so glad I did! It's hard to stray from my favorite Junkie Chicken, or Duck but it's always a safe bet to try something new with such talent in the kitchen. Stellar service provided by Justine & the GM Shad. Beyoncé & Jay Z must of thought so too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a blast!winedineDined on 7/19/2014We had a reservation for a party of 4, and when 3 more friends joined, the staff was very accommodating. Great service, nice menu selections, and of course, lots of adult beverages!Special Features: