Kingfish - New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Kingfish - New Orleans
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kingfishneworleans.com/
- Phone: 5045985005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Greg Sonnier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Kingfish - New Orleans
Kingfish features New Louisiana Cuisine from beloved New Orleans Chef Greg Sonnier. The menu reflects Greg’s Louisiana-centric approach to food. At the bar enjoy both traditional New Orleans style cocktails, such as the Sazerac or the Pimm's Cup, as well as modern cocktails created by New Orleans famous mixologist Chris McMillian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kingfish - New Orleans - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Kingfish - New Orleans reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)vibrant bar scene (44)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (26)great for lunch (24)good for groups (19)hot spot (17)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Recommended by a FoodiemratlasDined on 9/22/2014We were seated promptly. Atmosphere was ok. Since this place came recommended by a foodie, I had higher expectations but was ultimately let down. Food was late and cold. Service was below satisfactory. Very reluctant to recommend this place due to the poor service.Special Features:
- Wonderful FlavorsBopperDined on 9/21/2014All of our dishes were just great. The combination of sauces was wonderful. the whole deboned stuffed flounder was just incredible. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Yum!!!Meri333Dined on 9/19/2014What a great place!!! I'd highly recommend the rabbit gumbo!! Our waiter, Chris R, was wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NOLA's Best in the QuarterdavedineDined on 9/19/2014There are so many GREAT restaurants in the French Quarter that it would almost be impossible to make a list of the best, but Kingfish would be on the list. I've eaten here several times both for romantic dining and private celebrations and I am never disappointed in the food or drinks. The menu is diverse enough to please anyone - and feel free to ask the wait staff about any of the dishes if you are unsure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014Fish tacos were good. Service was good.that our first day in New Orleans. Our server gave us good info about jazz places where locals go. That was certainly very helpful.Special Features:
- aeropostleDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food. Friendly waiters. Great ambiance. A definite repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidThelumenDined on 9/12/2014This place was talked up to me by quite a few foodie friends so we put it on our list to try. The drinks were absolutely some of the best in town and the food was completely solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KingfishgritsgalDined on 9/11/2014The Gulf fish dish was divine! The server was friendly and charming without being intrusive. He was very good.Special Features:
- DeliciouscndrelaDined on 8/31/2014Kingfish was recommended to us by a friend. We really loved the food and the dinner service was excellent. I would definitely go there again - and will suggest it to friends travelling to NOLA. The only critique I have for the restaurant is that when we arrived there was no one at the hostess stand. The bartenders all saw us standing there and no one acknowledged us. A waiter approached the stand - saw us and turned around. It was approximately five minutes before the hostess appeared. The restaurant had seated a large party and she was detained due to that. If one of the other staff had just acknowledged us it would have made all the difference.Special Features:
- Classy but not stuffy!JeffandPattiDined on 8/30/2014Thoroughly enjoyed Kingfish! It was a special occasion meeting up with military friends from 20 yrs ago. They were able to give us the wonderful table in the front window, didn't rush or interrupt our conversation! It was on the Top10/2013 list, well deserved! We shared appetizers, bacon wrapped jalapeño/Cajun sausage wonton/shrimp&okra/blue crab chop, All equally incredible! Go with what your hungry for, Husband had Every Man A King Fish (Pompano on a salt brick)!!! I had scallops special!!! Our friends had Cedarplank fish and Duck special!!! Nice wine list and cocktails. Sorry can't comment on dessert, my favorite, but couldn't fit it in! Will definitely go back when in town! Great job Kingfish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect celebration!6localfoodiesDined on 8/23/2014Our family of six, including four young adult sons, had the absolute time of our lives at King Fish. The food was superb and the waitstaff simply wonderful. I would say they were naturally New Orleans! We were celebrating one last summer night before the oldest boys returned to college and this was the perfect setting. Our waiter gave great menu advice, both for food and cocktails. The staff laughed right along with us and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal from start to finish. Greg Sonnier and his staff are geniuses at making folks feel welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huey would love itThptrekVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere. Alligator wings were ok. Fish on rock salt was good. As your waiter to transfer it onto regular plate to avoid a mess. Duck with ramen was also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerJoshBDined on 8/16/2014This last weekend my fiance and I were in NOLA just getting away for the weekend, I wanted to propose to her but first I wanted to have a nice dinner before I popped the question. I had no idea where to have dinner at so I used this app and looked at reviews and prices, This was a great fit for anyone who like to dress up a little or alot and have ether a bar or a dinner to themselfs. I booked for 8:45 and once we got there told them and boom got the table ready. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left me coldNOLAJOEVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great bar. Lively fun French Quarter scene. My entree was cold inside and it was a deep dish pot pie with smoked pork. Tasty but it made me wonder about the kitchen prep and the rest of the food. Worth a second chance though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceBeanLadyDined on 8/8/2014We got there 15 mins before closing (our plane was late getting in) and they served us graciously even though I'm sure they were ready to shut it down. French 75s were delicious! The Cedarplank Pompano was cooked perfectly and was a fairly large piece. Definitely would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative comfort foodBreifneVIPDined on 8/3/2014This casual restaurant served better and more creative food than some white-tablecloth places we've eaten in Nola. Rabbit in merlot reduction -- outstanding. Very memorable. Nice wine selection. Friendly prompt service. Great experience.Special Features:
- Desserts were great!PhilaPhanDined on 8/3/2014Went with friends for drinks, apps, and dessert. Skip the sausage won tons. The crab cake was great! The pecan pie was incredible! The cheese cake was delicious. They do not have sweet tea. The alcohol specialty drinks were tiny. I had the blueberry one and though tasty it wasn't great and was very small. Their margaritas were also very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huey P Long Would Be ProudMichaelVIPDined on 8/3/2014The bar area is not huge but it is great and the bartenders know their craft cocktails. We had a group of 6 and ordered various cocktails that were well made. The burger is the thing to get, well seasoned, and the sweet potato waffle fries paired well with it. Definitely a low key place to stop for a great cocktail and food. Only thing that might be lacking is a "bar menu" some of finger foods to eat while drinking at the bar, be it nuts and olives or homemade sweet potato chips.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerGreyhoundDDined on 8/2/2014My wife had a cocktail at the bar before our table was ready and was very impressed with the bartender and her drink. The restaurant was upscale and was a perfect romantic setting for our meal. My wife had the fish and it was excellent. I had the bone in ribeye. It was cooked perfectly, but the first steak was extremely difficult to cut and worse to chew. I sent it back. The waiter even said he tried to cut it and couldnt. The second steak was also cooked perfectly but same story, very stringy and tough to chew. The waiter came back and asked if this steak was any better and I said no not really. He shrugged and walked away. We didnt see him again until he brought the check. I can only go by my experience but have had much better for less.Special Features:
- Great French Quarter locationJulie504VIPDined on 8/1/2014Kingish is a nice addition to the burgeoning FQ dining scene. Longtime New Orleans favorite chef Greg Sonnier has hit the right note with bar food plus some ambitious foodie items.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsSuz4Dined on 7/30/2014This was recommended by my oldest daughter. She had heard it was very good. We all had different types of fish. The salad was great with the homemade vinaigrette. We also had the chocolate mousse/pudding and the cheesecake. It was topped with real blueberries. It was delicious. I would come back and dine here again.Special Features:
- Good Creole FoodVirga017FoodieDined on 7/30/2014Kingfish is a very good restaurant. Food was very good, but did not have the exciting and unique flavors as some other restaurants in New Orleans. I had a seafood gumbo, which was really good, especially the fresh fish and alligator sausage. Wine list was good, but not as extensive as expected. Atmosphere and service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CRACKLINGS!!!!!TinalemansDined on 7/27/2014The food at Kingfish was fantastic. The appetizer of duck,pork and poultry cracklings were a sinful delight! The kingfish on a salt brick was outstanding as was the cedar plank prepared gulf fish, and of course I must Mention the manchego grits! Our waiter, I believe his name was Martin, was as warm and friendly as you could ever want. Delicious cocktails great food and terrific service, you can't ask for much more!Special Features:
- Fit for a King!JaybeingJayDined on 7/21/2014One of my favorite places! We're so lucky to have Chef Sonnier back creating his amazing food in NOLA! Tried the Cochon de lait Pot Pie for the first time & so glad I did! It's hard to stray from my favorite Junkie Chicken, or Duck but it's always a safe bet to try something new with such talent in the kitchen. Stellar service provided by Justine & the GM Shad. Beyoncé & Jay Z must of thought so too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a blast!winedineDined on 7/19/2014We had a reservation for a party of 4, and when 3 more friends joined, the staff was very accommodating. Great service, nice menu selections, and of course, lots of adult beverages!Special Features:
- Creative Menu, Great ExperienceRickPVIPDined on 7/19/2014By New Orleans' standards (or any other standards for restaurants), Kingfish is terrific. Creative menus with a variety of delicious choices (the Shrimp Gaufre - New Orleans style barbecue shrimp in a waffle boat atop a sweet potato purée - was wonderful and the Rabbit Gumbo was a unique combination of flavors). A beautifully renovated French Quarter restaurant where you can be comfortable either casually dressed or in business attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLag04Dined on 7/17/2014We had a fantastic meal at kingfish. All the food recommendations were delicious! We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCher2210Dined on 7/12/2014Food was great. Scallops dish was delicious and the cedar plan fish was tasty. Our server performance was shaky. He did not seem confident. I noticed other servers were attentive and I think our server was not indicative of the restaurant service level. Give it a chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cocktailsponshoresDined on 7/12/2014the food is great depending on what you order. aligator wings were interresting but would not order again. crab cake app. and scallops were outstanding. gulf fish was good and cooked perfectly but not special. great casual atmosphere, but not casual prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014I had heard good things about this place, but was very underwhelmed across the board, and disappointed repeatedly. The service was bad. Our waiter was never around, so we were constantly having to flag down other staff for things like silverware that was cleared by staff, or knocked on the floor. Both entrees were very eddible, but not to the caliber I expect in a nola restaurant of this price point. I ordered the fish on Himalayan salt block, but the block was too small to eat the dish without things falling onto the table. Apparently this is always the case because the put a black napkin on the table prior to bringing out my dish. It created a messy very unrefined way to eat the dish which had been re-plated on the salt block.
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014Service was great, didn't flinch when we asked to move to a more romantic table. Cocktails are fantastic, bar tenders know their craft. Food was smack your mama good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food.SamBellaDined on 7/7/2014Amidst all the restaurants near Bourbon St, its refreshing to come across some solid food that pleases the palette. The food was delicious well seasoned (but not overly) , the waist staff was very accommodating and helpful, and the cocktails were great. As a starter I had the frilled shrimp and Okra, it was soo good and filling , I barely put a dent in my main entrée.Special Features:
- Disappointing!chefmatthewDined on 7/6/2014Being a "Foodie", I was looking forward to trying this new restaurant in the French Quarter. The service was wonderful, but the food did not deliver the hype that it had received. The assorted "Cracklings" were unidentifiable and bland. The "Beet Salad" only had a whisper of a grated beet. Two guests had the "Fish on Salt Brick". Great concept, but poor execution. Both had their entrées end up in their laps and had to return to the hotel to change clothes. My "Bone-in Ribeye" was undercooked and flavorless. The "Roasted Chicken", again flavorless. The French Quarter is in great need of "fine dining" restaurants, as most have become unimaginative and overpriced for mediocre food. Hopefully, "Kingfish" will step up their game.
- NidsVIPDined on 7/4/2014Excellent food. A gem in New Orleans. We stayed in New Orleans for 1 week and we returned to KingFish because it was the best!! Worth returning over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best scallop dish I've ever had!CalouDined on 6/28/2014Good food, service and drinks! Wonderful pimento cheese seved with the bread which was a nice touch and unique. We'd go back!Special Features:
- A nice dinner at a lively spotKierazDined on 6/22/2014A colleague and I went to Kingfish during a business trip to New Orleans. The place was crowded, but we had a reservation and were seated immediately. The bar was full of fans watching USA in the World Cup, and though it could have easily been too noisy, it never reached too much of a din. The dinner was solid, with a nice shrimp and okra appetizer. I had the dirty chicken, breaking my normal rule about not ordering chicken at restaurants because that isn't very exciting. It was quite nice, though I did wish I tried something more adventurous. The waiter couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodwmgrarVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had an excellent meal. I had the pulled pork pot pie and it was delicious. Serving staff were very friendly and attentive. Presentation of the food was also very good. After a trip full of lots of fine restaurants this too was very, very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Our drinks took forever and finally showed up with our appetizer followed by the bread that Im assuming should have been brought to the table soon after the water. My wife ordered a scallop and shrimp dish that was delicious, I ordered a seafood casserole dish that didn't have a lot going on in the flavor department, and for the price of the dish I would expect to see more seafood, it was mostly beans with very little shrimp, fish, and andouille sausage. and to top it all off our waitress took my wife's drink away before she was finished, there wasn't much left but she should of asked.
- Midsummer Night in NOLANickDined on 6/18/2014Great Cocktails, the bartender (Chris, I think) really knows his stuff. Service was spot on, the waiter did not miss a beat and was a step ahead of us at all times. The apps were good, just very small portions for the price. Entrees were good, just hope for a little more flavor in some of them, kind of bland for NOLA. I would definitely try it again.Special Features:
- FoodgdfeatsDined on 6/15/2014Went for Father's Day and the meal, service and ambiance was great.Special Features: