Kingfish - New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Kingfish - New Orleans
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kingfishneworleans.com/
- Phone: (504) 598-5005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Greg Sonnier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
A word from Kingfish - New Orleans
Kingfish features New Louisiana Cuisine from beloved New Orleans Chef Greg Sonnier. The menu reflects Greg’s Louisiana-centric approach to food. At the bar enjoy both traditional New Orleans style cocktails, such as the Sazerac or the Pimm's Cup, as well as modern cocktails created by New Orleans famous mixologist Chris McMillian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kingfish - New Orleans - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Kingfish - New Orleans reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)vibrant bar scene (53)neighborhood gem (40)hot spot (32)special occasion (28)good for groups (23)romantic (21)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (17)late-night find (14)scenic view (5)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great location, vibrant bar sceneDebbieVIPDined on 11/18/2014I was in the mood for something New Orleans style but lighter fare with a modern twist. Kingfish fit the bill. The Hoppin John Salad and crab cake from the small plates menu paired with a crisp Chardonnay was the perfect early evening dinner. The location in the French Quarter is easy to find and would be a great place to meet up with friends. The bar was lively by 8 pm with a more sophisticated crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+NeenDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic service from Chris. Great cocktail menu. Brandy milk was delicious. Oyster & Artichoke stew. BBQ shrimp w/waffle piroque. Seafood cassoulet...all superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We had a wonderful experience. The waitress was outstanding. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great placePwldocDined on 11/8/2014Noise level is the only aspect that prevents me from a five star rating. Atmosphere, decor, service and food quality all top shelf. I will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails, Outstanding FoodAndyPDined on 11/7/2014They have a great specialty cocktail list, and can easily improvise and make non menu cocktails. On the appetizer menu, the bacon wrapped jalapenos, are phenomenal. Additionally their alligator wings confit are delicious, the smoked tomato gastrique on it was great. Also if you like blue cheese, the french fries and fondue are a must, we ordered a few! For entrees, the No. 1 - "Every Man a King" Fish, is delicious. It is cooked on a brick of Himalayan salt, and then comes out tableside on the salt. The No. 6 - Seafood Cassoulet is also outstanding, all of the different types of seafood, and the alligator sausage. The wine list is also quite extensive and has some of the most reasonable prices in the French Quarter.Special Features:
- Great!AshleyVIPDined on 11/6/2014We had a great experience at Kingfish. It was in a convenient location in the French Quarter, but was not a tourist trap at all. The food was excellent and the service was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish on a salt brick!DinaDined on 11/6/2014You might be shy from food displayed on a salt brick but its actually good...yes a little salty but sometimes a little salt doesn't hurt you and this was an interesting disply and flavor. The fish was perfect.Special Features:
- Great experiencedwilson608VIPDined on 11/5/2014from the Bartender to our waiter the service was excellent. The bar is a great place to learn about cocktails. Food was excellent. Service was perfect...attentive without being intrusive. We never touched the wine bottle or the water bottle all evening. Scallop special was really really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outperformed expectationsHappyCustomerDined on 11/3/2014Read the great ratings but this place exceeded them. Fabulous food, though wasn't wild about the cornmeal waffle on the delicious barbecued shrimp dish.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedSunRiseEagleVIPDined on 11/1/2014We didn't particuly like the atmosphere. Kind of loud, not very upscale. We expected better food from Chef Greg Sonnier. The service was very slow and waiter unattentive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014We came on Halloween, in costume and were a little nervous about looking like idiots but we fit right into the fun atmosphere (including servers in costume!) Servers were all super nice; I don't remember the name of ours but he had told us he just started, yet was already super knowledgeable and made great recommendations for not only choices in the restaurant, but where to go out after. To drink, I had the mint julep off their speciality menu, which was sweetened with peach syrup rather than the traditional sugar cube -- much better! I had the duck ramen, which I think could have been a little more flavorful but was decent; boyfriend got the seafood cassoulet, which was good but had more beans than seafood which was a little disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathVIPDined on 10/30/2014Loved the Hoppin John Salad & Cedar Planked Fish. Great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Not only was my food great, my server was on point the entire time. She was very timely w/ my re-fills and made wonderful food and drink recommendation. The server should get praised by her management for being so great at her job. I have already recommended the restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great meal!GGGerstDined on 10/23/2014The shrimp & scallops on cheese grits special was awesome! Our server was very personable, and made great recommendations. I will recommend Kingfish to all my friends travelling to New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceimaneaterVIPDined on 10/21/2014We were in New Orleans on a business trip, and our dinner at Kingfish was wonderful. Off of Bourbon Street, which was very pleasant. Nice atmosphere, great cocktails, delicious flavors. Not inexpensive, but a great dining experience. Service was excellent. Food was very fresh and creatively assembled. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Up-market Pub Meal!curwenVIPDined on 10/20/2014Slow seating but friendly and helpful server (Angelica). My companion had a new cocktail (French Pearl) that she really enjoyed, I had NOLA Hopitoulas IPA. Beet salad for her and (N.O.) pork scratchings – more scratchings than pork - for me. Tables well-separated and not overwhelmingly noisy. Good ambience! Unfortunately, pot pie was off so I had rabbit with blue cheese string potatoes. The cheese and meat went well together but I didn’t think that I could detect rabbit in the meat even after removing the sauce. My companions’ Shrimp Gaufre went down well with my braised spinach – perhaps I’m just pickier. Total was $135 – mixed feelings about the place and I really think charging for bottled non-sparkling water is nickel-and-diming
- Delish!TXFamilyDined on 10/19/2014Cedar plank fish (sheep head fish ) Get past the name . It was wonderfully mild fish cooked on cedar with canjun seasoning. Beautiful presentation and light strawberry salad side. Looking for new cocktail, have Pimms Cup. Mellow infused gin with berries, cucumber and topped with champagne. Our Teenager had shrimp waffle dish minus shrimp and enjoyed. Preteen had warm crusty bread and promise of mcdonalds. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencetottsDined on 10/19/2014Loved, loved , loved this restaurant. Our waiter Patrick was awesome. Fun to talk to , great service. Enjoyed our food and conversation. We went for our anniversary and we felt special there. Have already recommended this restaurant to my friendsSpecial Features:
- DisappointingBgoodDined on 10/18/2014Service was so slow. Had a 8pm reservation. The waitress took our orders, but EVERTHING was slow to come. Drinks came too slow, hence the dinner order didn't go in until 20 minutes after our arrival. Then a bag of bread arrived 10 minutes later. So if it's in a bag, why does it take 30 minutes to get to your table!? 9pm no waitress. Asking for her, she comes and apologizes saying dinner will be out shortly. She should come sooner on her own. We note that the restaurant is not even half full. Mgr comes over and apologizes. Offers drinks but we really just want food. When we say it's been an hour, he corrects us and says the order's been in for 35 minutes! That was the biggest offense. Not the way handle it. Won't go back or recommend.
- NOLAJoejo66VIPDined on 10/17/2014The est restaurant that I have been in NOLA for the 3 days that I was there. The waitress was so welcoming and warmSpecial Features:
- French Quarter dining3girlsDined on 10/16/2014We went to Kingdish on several recommendations from friends. After days of eating sea food we wanted some meat. My husband ordered the rib eye which was okay but he had food envy with my pulled pork pot pie. It was yummy comfort food! The service was average compared to the other places we had been to already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitHappydinerDined on 10/16/2014We were given a gift card and looked forward to our first visit. The seating was very good, across from the bar; I was given my choice. We were early so the service started slow but as they got busier, the service became more acceptable. The food was excellent. Served hot and large portions. The Hoppin' Jack salad was delicious and my husband thoroughly enjoyed the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno peppers. He also had the Cochon de lait Pot Pie while I had Shrimp Gaufre with Jumbo barbeque shrimp; it was to die for and the cheesecake was huge and made from scratch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Experience in NOLAOdomFoodiesDined on 10/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Kingfish! Food was outstanding and our waiter was attentive without hovering. We had the bacon wrapped scallops and the Cowboy steak. Both dishes exceeded expectations with generous portions. The jalapeno appetizer was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in NOLAOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Food and service were great. The salt brick fish is a must try.Special Features:
- Good food good serviceJimboDined on 10/11/2014We ate here on the last night of a 6 night stay in N.O. After meals at overhyped and over large impersonal Delmonico and Captains Palace, this was an excellent finale. Main course scallops with shrimp was perfectly cooked and seasoned without the typical over salting found in most NO food. Server Tim Kelly was attentive and even entertaining. Thanks for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and tasty fareclothierDined on 10/10/2014Great selection of entrees with many items not found on menus often. Mirliton and rabbit,for example of which the mirliton was almost as good as my momma used to make. This fish choices are exceptional, without being very heavy.Special Features:
- Unique menu; serious food.loueatsDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant has a great bar for pre-dinner drinks, with a serious bartender who knows his stuff. Interesting menu with an emphasis on local cuisine---we enjoyed the fish baked on a block of salt! Reasonable prices and very good service.Special Features:
- Recommended by a FoodiemratlasDined on 9/22/2014We were seated promptly. Atmosphere was ok. Since this place came recommended by a foodie, I had higher expectations but was ultimately let down. Food was late and cold. Service was below satisfactory. Very reluctant to recommend this place due to the poor service.Special Features:
- Wonderful FlavorsBopperDined on 9/21/2014All of our dishes were just great. The combination of sauces was wonderful. the whole deboned stuffed flounder was just incredible. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Yum!!!Meri333Dined on 9/19/2014What a great place!!! I'd highly recommend the rabbit gumbo!! Our waiter, Chris R, was wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of NOLA's Best in the QuarterdavedineDined on 9/19/2014There are so many GREAT restaurants in the French Quarter that it would almost be impossible to make a list of the best, but Kingfish would be on the list. I've eaten here several times both for romantic dining and private celebrations and I am never disappointed in the food or drinks. The menu is diverse enough to please anyone - and feel free to ask the wait staff about any of the dishes if you are unsure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/15/2014Fish tacos were good. Service was good.that our first day in New Orleans. Our server gave us good info about jazz places where locals go. That was certainly very helpful.Special Features:
- aeropostleDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food. Friendly waiters. Great ambiance. A definite repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidThelumenDined on 9/12/2014This place was talked up to me by quite a few foodie friends so we put it on our list to try. The drinks were absolutely some of the best in town and the food was completely solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KingfishgritsgalDined on 9/11/2014The Gulf fish dish was divine! The server was friendly and charming without being intrusive. He was very good.Special Features:
- DeliciouscndrelaDined on 8/31/2014Kingfish was recommended to us by a friend. We really loved the food and the dinner service was excellent. I would definitely go there again - and will suggest it to friends travelling to NOLA. The only critique I have for the restaurant is that when we arrived there was no one at the hostess stand. The bartenders all saw us standing there and no one acknowledged us. A waiter approached the stand - saw us and turned around. It was approximately five minutes before the hostess appeared. The restaurant had seated a large party and she was detained due to that. If one of the other staff had just acknowledged us it would have made all the difference.Special Features:
- Classy but not stuffy!JeffandPattiDined on 8/30/2014Thoroughly enjoyed Kingfish! It was a special occasion meeting up with military friends from 20 yrs ago. They were able to give us the wonderful table in the front window, didn't rush or interrupt our conversation! It was on the Top10/2013 list, well deserved! We shared appetizers, bacon wrapped jalapeño/Cajun sausage wonton/shrimp&okra/blue crab chop, All equally incredible! Go with what your hungry for, Husband had Every Man A King Fish (Pompano on a salt brick)!!! I had scallops special!!! Our friends had Cedarplank fish and Duck special!!! Nice wine list and cocktails. Sorry can't comment on dessert, my favorite, but couldn't fit it in! Will definitely go back when in town! Great job Kingfish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect celebration!6localfoodiesDined on 8/23/2014Our family of six, including four young adult sons, had the absolute time of our lives at King Fish. The food was superb and the waitstaff simply wonderful. I would say they were naturally New Orleans! We were celebrating one last summer night before the oldest boys returned to college and this was the perfect setting. Our waiter gave great menu advice, both for food and cocktails. The staff laughed right along with us and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal from start to finish. Greg Sonnier and his staff are geniuses at making folks feel welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huey would love itThptrekVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great atmosphere. Alligator wings were ok. Fish on rock salt was good. As your waiter to transfer it onto regular plate to avoid a mess. Duck with ramen was also goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerJoshBDined on 8/16/2014This last weekend my fiance and I were in NOLA just getting away for the weekend, I wanted to propose to her but first I wanted to have a nice dinner before I popped the question. I had no idea where to have dinner at so I used this app and looked at reviews and prices, This was a great fit for anyone who like to dress up a little or alot and have ether a bar or a dinner to themselfs. I booked for 8:45 and once we got there told them and boom got the table ready. It was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.