Kindee Thai Restaurant
719 2nd Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Kindee Thai Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kindeethairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6124658303
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kindee Thai Restaurant
Kindee offers traditional Thai cuisine with a modern flair. Our menu offers a large variety of unique appetizers, delicious entrées, hot soups and crisp salads. Whatever your preference, we are sure you will find something on our menu that will satisfy your appetite. Located in the heart of the Mill District, across the street from the Guthrie Theater, Kindee has proven to be a mainstay of the diverse culinary culture of downtown Minneapolis. Whether you are in Minneapolis on business, for a show at the Guthrie, or are just looking for a great Thai meal with friends or family, Kindee is happy to accommodate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kindee Thai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (21)good for groups (15)scenic view (12)special occasion (10)hot spot (9)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- High quality foodFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Nice atmosphere & great food that is varied enough for most palates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- before theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We eat here frequently before a Guthrie performance. The food is tasty, fresh and the service is friendly and prompt. The coffee is especially tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient to the Guthrie Theater.catrig77Dined on 9/9/2014Food is typical Thailand cuisine. Our waiter was exceptional. Well worth a visit pre theater.Special Features:
- Good foodDougDined on 8/28/2014The food and service was wonderful. It was so noisy you had to shout to talk to the person across from you. I had the Drunken Noodles with Calamari. Very tasty. Heavy on the garlic. Also had the sweet sticky rice with mango for desert. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundmgdinerDined on 8/26/2014Great service from beginning. Shared multiple appetizers and entrees among the group and all were given excellent reviews.Special Features:
- KathDined on 8/25/2014Food is good as always and we took advantage of a nice night to sit outside. Food is delivered quickly after ordering and server was great with checking on us outside as it is a lot more work. They said their computer was down... so hope I got my open table points!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Kindee Thai is a great riverfront place for lunch or for a pre-Guthrie theater dinner. They tend to get busy for dinner but Mondays are a good option because the Guthrie theater is dark and its easier to get in.Special Features:
- Good food, staff overworkedClutz1910Dined on 8/23/2014We recently dined before a show at the Guthrie. We thought the food was great, but our waiter, who was very nice and tried hard, had too many tables on his hands and was challenged to serve everyone properly in the pre-play rush. I would still recommend it as a place to go for Thai food and pre-Guthrie. The food did arrive quickly, but allow for some extra time in case it gets busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed the food here. I have eaten here before and think they have improved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedchrissietipsDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed our experience prior to attending the Guthrie. Good was excellent; server was helpful and friendly and attentive. Very fun atmosphere and most accommodating to our party. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- DLluckylindyDined on 8/20/2014We had Penang (SP?) curry and it was very tasty but only no chicken, no veggies. I think I have had it with veggies in the past. And the portion was kind of small since two people shared.
- Going to the Guthrie?emmakay1Dined on 8/19/2014This is our new must-go dinner option for all our visits to the Guthrie. With it's location across the street from the main entrance, it would be difficult to find something more convenient. The curries are top-notch! There's quite a variety in their appetizer selection, as well. The restaurant itself is small; there is probably more outdoor seating than what is available inside. Since the kitchen is fairly open to the dining room, you can expect the noise level to always be slightly elevated, and the temperature warm. Service is consistently friendly and smooth, though sometimes there's a little bit of a delay. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Good Food-Not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I was excited to try this Thai restaurant and although the décor and ambiance was refreshingly vibrant and the location amazing, the food was bland and expected some more flavorful dishes. We asked for the spice try and got to spice it up to our preference. I have to say our server, whatever his personality or mood - on a Saturday night it was anything but warm. We commented that we're very sure he never once smiled at us or gave us any real attentive service. He didn't check on us to see if our meal was good or if we wanted more drinks. Instead we asked the friendly lady filling water a question and got better service from her in those 2 minutes. We are generally ones to tip appropriately, but that night we couldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJOVHDined on 8/15/2014Great food, knowledgeable and friendly server. Lovely wine..had the pinot grigio. Reasonable prices for great food, conveniently located across from Guthrie Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot, loud and slowminneapoliseaterDined on 8/15/2014We dined at Kindee before going to a play at the Guthrie. We had six people in our party and had made a reservation. When we entered, we were seated right away. It then took about TEN minutes for our frazzled waitress to even bring us water. It seems like there were not enough wait staff on duty - especially considering every table was booked. The restaurant was SOOO hot. Even our poor waitress was sweating buckets! And it was so loud. We could barely hear each other speak. I think those two things were really the biggest issues. The food was actually pretty good. The cranberry cream cheese wontons are a must order. So delicious! We would probably try this place again, but would stay away from a time right before a play.
- excellent pre-show diningmrloDined on 8/14/2014This is a regular stop before the theater. Portions are right...so we are not stuffed, and no take home box to carry. I had one of my favorites, yellow curry. Delicious with a hint of heat. Calamari app tender and flavorful. Noise level can rise to a roar occasionally. Service good for as busy as it was. Took friends...new to them -they would return as their meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaDined on 8/14/2014We sat on the patio before seeing My Fair Lady. We were a little late for our reservation, but they held it for us! The server was helpful with our food decisions. All was great!Special Features:
- Not good for a 1-hour lunch breakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Our lunch group of 10 waited almost an hour before our food arrived. The waiter seemed very stressed; perhaps there was not enough waitstaff to cover the full lunch crowd. One of our party finally got up and retrieved a water pitcher from the bar and filled our water glasses. If we had been on a firm schedule, we would have been in trouble. The noise level was almost excruciating. Much of the noise was due to the unpleasant, constant scraping noise of chair legs across the hard floor surface. It was like fingernails on a chalk board! Putting teflon covers on the chair legs would be an easy and worthwhile fix. Planning adequate wait and kitchen staff for a full lunch crowd would be another needed improvement. The Pad Thai was only passable.
- Ok place before the GuthrieoutstandingVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food here is ok. Good location. We had the spring rolls whichmweremgood but needed peanut sauce too. Duck was very good but the egg plant green curry was lacking egg plant.
- meideDined on 8/2/2014Came here for my bachelorette party. The serivce was amazing! He was very patient and informative and seperated everyone's checks, without even asking. Restaraunt is very modern looking and can accomodate large groups well. Food was great, and the portions were perfect, not to big.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was good, but the service was very slow. It took the water at least 15 minutes before asking for our drink requests. Also, the air conditioner did not seem to be working.
- NICE PLACE RUINED BY HAVING TO YELLPurple8PrincessVIPDined on 7/31/2014Bar stools have been removed and more tables added which contributed to the VERY LOUD ATMOSPHERE in his smallish establishment. We couldn’t stay as we were really bothered by the “YELLING” you had to do to communicate with the person right across from you at your table. Also we were bothered by the people around us also yelling so they could talk to their table mates. I couldn’t enjoy my food no matter how good it was. The atmosphere gave me a headach as well as a stomach ache. I hope to find a time to return when it isn’t so crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but too noisy!satiatedDined on 7/29/2014Great food but it was so noisy my husband and I were shouting to hear each other. Also, tables were so close together we could hear the next tables conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for pre show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014But please do something about the bathrooms. The sticky floor and dirty toilet and hard to lock door over shadow an otherwise great evening. Thank you for the service on a crazy busy night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-Guthrie dining!KateBHDined on 7/23/2014We sat on the street, which was a bit noisy with cars. But that said, we had a wonderful dinner, timed just right to attend a show at The Guthrie. Ky was attentive and took great care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- annekimDined on 7/22/2014The food was really good. Our waiter was very nice and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jillfoodDined on 7/22/2014Delicious food, as always. Good selection of spicy and non-spicy, vegetarian and non, to fit any desires. I often go to Kindee when I have an event at Mill City Museum or the Guthrie, so location is perfect for that. The one difficulty is it's noisy (bad acoustics), so hard to converse with one's dinner companions.Special Features:
- DisappointingFancyNancyDined on 7/12/2014We decided to try Kimdee because we had tickets for a Saturday night performance at the Guthrie. We were not impressed with the restaurant. They were out of fried spring rolls at 6:00 PM, the honey lime chicken I ordered was unexceptional though listed as the chef's choice, and my fried rice was lukewarm. We asked for the ginger Creme brûlée only to be told they were out of it. The waiter suggested we go down the street to Izzy's ice cream for dessert. Our waiter is not to be faulted--he was very attentive and apologetic. Having said that, we won't be back. We can get better Thai food elsewhere.
- riverfoodieDined on 7/9/2014Kindee Thai is a great place to go before seeing a play at the Guthrie. I always suggest it to friends as the Happy Hour prices are good and the food dependable. We had a meal this time and it did not disappoint. Our server was lovely and friendly. A full bar menu would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would never recommendshortlatinaDined on 7/8/2014I had a very bad experience at this restaurant and I do not wish to return.
- Never Misses!HeyImLADined on 7/1/2014Kindee remains one of my favorites! The food is outstandingly good, fun and adventurous. The Chef will share his recipes, but you'll never be able to make them as well as he does! Be adventurous, try something new each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next to GuthrieHungrybobVIPDined on 6/28/2014Good food, quick service. Fine place for pre-theater dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater DinnergoodeaterVIPDined on 6/28/2014Had dinner here before a Guthrie show. The curries we tried were very good - duck with grapes, and Panang. Unfortunately, they were out of Massaman curry. The amount of rice provided with each dish was far too little for the amount of food, and we were charged extra for a small additional serving, which seems like a cheap shot when entrees cost fifteen dollars.
- Great Food - Poor AtmosphereNotThrilledDined on 6/27/2014The food at Kindee is always excellent. However, the seating is cramped and uncomfortable (perhaps to keep patrons from lingering?). The acoustics create an annoying amount of noise, even during slow times with few people present and/or when diners are speaking relatively quietly. The female servers were dressed inappropriately. Next time, we'll get our Kindee to go.Special Features:
- Excellent!luvthaifoodDined on 6/27/2014I love Kindee---the food is superb, and so is the service. I especially enjoy the Woon Sen, and the Pad See Ew---both are full of flavor, and perfect to share. They recently added Kanom Chine-an excellent choice for a special occasion! Really-everything is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodDelight4eatsDined on 6/26/2014Kindee Thai's food & service are consistently excellent. All the appetizers are great but my favorite are the cranberry cream cheese wontons. Recommend reservations when Guthrie is in session.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Thai CuisineNateDined on 6/13/2014Excellent Thai Cuisine with a modern touch at a modest price. Wine list is acceptable ... I always get the Riesling with my Thai dish. Right across from the Guthrie so it is a favorite for theater goers. Make sure you make a reservation during the fall-winter season or you may not get a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 of 3 were happy with their mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014I found the Lime Honey Chicken lacking taste but my sister ordered it and enjoyed it. My other sister ordered a curry dish and was very happy with her dish.Special Features:
- Close to Guthrie Theatreteacher1Dined on 6/10/2014Really good food and close to theatre. We were, however, overcharged for our wine choice (based on the menu price) and even after pointing it out the discount was not down to the correct amount. The show was starting and we just let the extra 2.00 go. Hope this was a one time mistake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxDined on 6/8/2014Dined outside on a Sunday evening pre-Guthrie. We'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.