Kill Devil Club
31 East 14th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105Neighborhood:
E. Kansas City
Bar / Lounge / Bottle ServicePrice: $30 and under
Kill Devil Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.killdevilclub.com/
- Phone: (913) 908-0406
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 7:00pm - 3:00am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Zach Alft
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Kitchen & Staff Experienced with Large Parties
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of any size up to 200!
- Private Party Contact: Fallon Gardner 8166744137
- Entertainment: Live Music Nightly: Jazz, Swing, Blues, Rock
- Special Events: www.killdevilclub.com
A word from Kill Devil Club
The Kill Devil Club is an adult oasis, downtown. It's Kansas City’s newest hot spot featuring hand crafted cocktails, plates for sharing and live music that moves you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kill Devil Club reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- What Live Music?rbwar24Dined on 11/7/2014A place that advertises live music should have live music on a Friday night. This bar was lame. only about 20 people in there, about 15 were with one private party. Complete lack of wine and beer selection too. Not everyone wants rum. Poor selection of food. Was hoping for a nice evening with my wife, drinking wine and listening to music. I will not be back and I advise everyone to not waste your time.
- MagicalNenaDined on 11/7/2014It sounds kind of cheesy, but all the elements that I found in this place are just a great formula for magic, great ambiance, great food, great drinks and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected!ChicDined on 10/4/2014The ambiance was great. Very romantic. The over-sized booths could be overwhelming for just couples. The live band they had the night my husband and I went was pretty good. The Kill Devil Club is obviously to highlight the menu of rum choices and I get that. The food offerings are much to be desired. Not a fan of the Shrimp Spring rolls. Big thumbs up to the "Fleur Diable", awesome cocktail.Special Features:
- Not going back...DougieDined on 9/13/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary, made reservations, and when we arrived at 10:30 on a Saturday night, the table was ready for us. Thought that was nice. The place was dead. At this location on a Saturday night? There were three other tables in there besides us. Not a lively or fun place to begin with. They also advertise Jazz/blues music. The band was playing old rock songs mediocrely. Which is fine, but I wanted to create a romantic atmosphere for this special occasion and this place did not help.Special Features:
- Food vs ServiceKCEatsDined on 9/13/2014Service was great and liked the atmosphere, etc. We were mistaken to make dinner reservations, thinking there would be more on the menu. More food choices would complete this venue in my opinion. We got something else to eat within 2 hours of leaving. When we left around 8pm, there was one couple there. A band was going to play. I'm thinking maybe the Kill Devil Club is a later night place to hang. The bar is very impressive. Great location. It was a romantic place to celebrate, and have an anniversary coctail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best liquor selection in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My husband loves a good scotch or whiskey, and I love a good sipping tequila and we found plenty to love at Kill Devil. Very laid-back lounge vibe. Go here to drink and/or talk, not to dance or karaoke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Club Closed Private FunctionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We booked through open table and had no issues until we arrived. When we arrived there was a bride and groom standing at the door greeting their wedding guests. The club was closed for a private function. This would not have mattered if open table had said that it was unavailable and we would not have looked forward to the night.
- The following 49 reviews are from the Kill Devil Club reviews archive.
- Don't try dinner hereGabyEatsVIPDined on 7/12/2014We booked based on the menu posted on Open Table. The real menu was about a third of that and mostly appetizers. Music doesn't start until 8:30 or later, and that isn't advertised either. This may be great for a bar scene, but go somewhere else to eat first.
- Excellent Spot for Drinks and MusicTomMDined on 7/11/2014The drinks are definitley the draw to this establishment. Not your average drink selection. I recommend you talk with the bartenders and sample some of the drinks revived from decades ago. Great service and very attentive managment staff. Manager spent several minutes discussing the drink menu and even bought a round of shots for our group. We will definitely be back. Live music on top of all that!Special Features:
- FantasticgrimmreaperDined on 6/14/2014Nice, romantic, great people working there. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun retro feel to a classy place!MJcfpDined on 6/6/2014We went for happy hour and ended up staying to listen to a band.Special Features:
- Kill Devil Club DeliversroxzanzDined on 5/31/2014Great place with a sophisticated 30's vibe. Good atmosphere. Had fun listening to a great blues band. The small plates and rum cocktails helped the Kill Devil Club deliver a great evening.Special Features:
- Kill Devil Club DeliversroxzanzDined on 5/30/2014The atmosphere and sleek-city vibe can't be topped. Beautiful place with shutter-style windows and mellow lighting lends to an atmosphere of, perhaps, a 30's jazz club. A nice variety of small plates and some interesting cocktails round out the evening. The focus is on rum and the Kill Devil Club delivers with some great rum cocktail concoctions. Try it, you'll not be disappointed!Special Features:
- DexcracerVIPDined on 5/9/2014Went for the music and a cocktail after dinner. Fun place, always have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The band made itEllieAnnDined on 3/29/2014The music was spectacular, the dance floor great. The service was horrible. Horrible. It was a Saturday night and they only had one waitress! We had to order our drinks most of the time from the random bar-back filling our waters, which happened rarely. By the time we wanted to leave she was still no where in sight and the bartenders didn't know how to pull up a tab. We all then had to recreate our entire tab for the manager. It was incredibly unproffessional. This is billed as a classy joint and the service made it anything but classy. It's really gone down hill in the last 5 month or so. And the bartenders and manager kept calling me "baby doll." Please.Special Features:
- Always a great time. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014Always a great time. Service is the best around. Noise level can be a little much at times, but for the most part you can carry on a conversation at your table. Vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- Overall, it was a little noisy,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Overall, it was a little noisy, but the live entertainment was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DrinkJBMourningDined on 2/15/2014We came to the Kill Devil club on Saturday, February 15th. The Grand Marquis was playing and they were fantastic. The service was terrible. We noticed two ladies serving the entire space, minus the bar. Our waitress forgot orders, forgot to input orders, took about 25 minutes per round. We started asking for two drinks per order per person and the waitress forgot to put THAT order in. Asked for the bill. Thirty minutes later she came around to take another drink order and we asked for the bill again and she had forgotten so I asked her kindly to take care of the bill right then and there, which she did. Very frustrating. Not sure we will come back. Which is sad since we would have spent the entire evening there.Special Features:
- The place was nice.prettyjewelry12Dined on 2/8/2014Nice night spot. Max Groove played and the group was awesome. I would definately go again.Special Features:
- Good Timeemp3Dined on 2/7/2014Had a very good time and enjoyed the music.Mood Swing was great, will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent experience!JaneKCVIPDined on 2/7/2014I had contacted The Kill Devil Club about a private birthday party for my fiance. Before the event, the GM Homer, emailed me with several questions so he could learn about my fiance in order to create a customized experience. Well, to cut to the chase, this was an incredibly fun experience. Homer and the rest of the staff are very knowledgeable and fun! The club is also very beautiful with dark wood, leopard rugs and intimate lighting. We stayed for dinner and enjoyed that too.Special Features:
- Horrible ExperienceBirthdayBoyDined on 2/1/2014I was very excited to try The Kill Devil Club with a group of friends for my birthday. 12 of us went and everyone left saying we would never come back. Service is atrocious and non-existent. We literally waited 45 minutes for our drinks. The band plays entirely too loud for a blue jazz feel. If you want to mingle and chat, you better get it done before you enter. Oh and the "punch bowls..." what a joke! They are giant fish tank bowls but they are only 1/4 fill with tons of ice. For an upscale place, this place fails. I don't seeing it staying in business very long! Save yourself and go somewhere else!
- What music? DISAPPOINTED!Jsc5264Dined on 1/25/2014Our first and last time - opening acts amateurish. Charged a cover to enter and a table charge. Limited bar and food menu. There are better music venues in Kansas City, don't bother coming here.Special Features:
- Great drinks!BestDined on 1/17/2014Our server Missy was fabulous! The drinks were great. It took a very long time for food to come out. When the food came out it was barely warm. Food was just mediocre. Atmosphere, service, drinks and music were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt experience itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013I reserved a table for 4 for my husband's bday approx 2 weeks ago. I received a call the day of no more than an hour before my reserved time stating that there was another party that booked the venue & our spot was pushed from 730 to 930! Horrible! The day ofmy hhusband's bday dinner they call me an hour before which gave us no time to make dinner reservations elsewhere. I'm disappointed.
- girls nite out!fernemcbDined on 12/7/2013Had a great time at the Kill Devil Club! The drinks are different and delicious, and we all loved the sliders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for the showazharleyriderDined on 11/27/2013We came to see a burlesque show and stayed for the food and drinks. what a great place and exceptional food. I cannot remember when I enjoyed the Ambiance the food and the bar so much equally. We had the Appetizers the Kobe Sliders OMG perfection and we had a platter of cheeses and other meats and they were top notch well aged I would not make a change. The bar offered me some great selections on some Rye and Bourbons that I had not had previous and knew exactly what I wanted after describing the tastes I wanted. The chocolate martini my wife ordered was exceptional. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- DIDNT EAT, WENT FOR DRINKSOPKSWILWINDined on 11/27/2013DIDNT EAT, WENT FOR DRINKS AND A SHOW, HAD A VERY ENJOYABLE TIMESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gangster's BalllovetodanceDined on 11/9/2013We went to Kill Devil for The Dave Stephen's Band and the Gangster's Ball. Dave always puts on a top notch, high energy act. The Kill Devil Club is the perfect spot for this type of entertainer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Music in the Power and LightBizandLiesureDined on 11/9/2013This local rum bar is a fun and energetic place. They have several theme nights a year. There is always good music. Eat somewhere else first. The food menu is good but limited. I would make reservations always. The decor is warmly romantic.Special Features:
- below average drinks for the priceRUM4ONEDined on 11/6/2013First of all the bartender was a Bwitch. She was extremely rude and an unknowledgeable elitist. She messed up our drinks after an incident where she belittled my date by saying something completely false. "umm we are in America, all of our drinks are American."
- Fun experimental cocktail diningServerDined on 11/1/2013A lot going for this club - great location, elegant but fun ambiance, creative drink menu. Started out very well - readily greeted at the door, offered a comp punch, hostess was flexible with our reserved seating. Table service was very slow and got worse through the night as the room got busier. It appeared that there were only two servers on the floor and the manager, while gregarious and fun, didn't help the situation by taking our orders but then not communicating well with the server. Then our check was incorrect and even though the manager agreed to correct it, I had to personally track down our check after waiting another ten plus minutes. The atmosphere was killed by watching and hearing the band set up so close to cocktail tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyCT13Dined on 9/20/2013The prices seemed a little high, 2 drinks and an appetizer (cheez & crackers) were $42Special Features:
- Awful serviceamckcDined on 8/31/2013We went to Kill Devil for the music and left because of the poor service. We waited 20 minutes to even be recognized by any staff at all and another 20 for drinks. By then my buzz was gone and I was thoroughly annoyed. Probably won't return unless there's a band that I want to see, but I"ll sit at the bar in hopes of having better service.
- I went with a couple peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013I went with a couple people to see live music. Our table wasn't the best, but I still had a fine view of the band. The restaurant is dimly lit and would be good for a date night. One of my companions had the shrimp spring rolls which were fair but not great. What annoyed me about my experience was that the waitress have us our tabs but failed to give us our cards. The only reason I will return is to support my friends band, but I won't be eating and will definitely check fort card before I leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed Friday Night Drinkjoelu64016Dined on 8/16/2013Great place to chill out after a hard work week and have a drink without the early twenties crowd. Good appetizers and great drink specials for P&L.Special Features:
- Cool, but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2013For me, the place was very well appointed and had a decidedly cool vibe, but the food was marginal and the prices high in relation to quality. Also, I though the two entertainment acts performing on that night seemed rough and ameteurish.
- Great venue but that's it...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013Loved the atmosphere inside the restaurant...roomy booths and small tables, great decor, and live music was a plus. The problem was in the following areas: service - took us forever to get drinks (both the first round and subsequent rounds); food - the meat and cheese plate was sparse and some of the meat smelled bad (esp. considering the price for a large group); the sound system for the band made the vocals sound garbled.Special Features:
- I went once and I'm hookedKatherineDined on 6/14/2013I booked a table at Kill Devil for my friend's 21st birthday/bachelorette party, and they took such good care of us that there is no way that I could not go back. The food was great and affordable, and the drinks are some of the best in the city. The whole place has a great feeling to it; it's very classy. This is my new go~to place for a fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightRobertDined on 6/6/2013Went here for a nice, classy time. I wasn't disappointed. The bar had a very good scotch collection and the knowledgeable staff to explain which went best with what on their menu. Lovely wait staff, and a great jazz band was playing that evening. Would go back.Special Features: