Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
19-3948 Old Volcano Rd.
Volcano, HI 96785Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kilauealodge.com/
- Phone: 8089677366
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:30am - 10:00am; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Albert Jeyte
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Kipuka Room offers privacy, fine art, wood burning fireplace. Separate room apart from the main restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Teri Childers 8089677366
A word from Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant, located in the quiet village of Volcano, sits on 5 acres of gardens and gazebos and native forest. This hotel restaurant features a large fireplace, local art, koa tables, and is open nightly. Chef/owner Albert Jeyte blends flavors from his European background with farm, ranch and seafood products from Hawaii, the surrounding Pacific and elsewhere. Volcano Village is at 3700 feet elevation and evenings are often cool and misty. The historic fireplace welcomes guests with it's cheery fire. Home made soups and breads tease the appetite. Albert specializes in unusual game...venison, antelope, rabbit, duck. The biggest sellers are local fish dishes; ahi, ono, mahimahi and the exotic Tristan lobster. A large wine list complements the eclectic menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Volcano ›
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014One of the very few places on the east side of the Big Island. Have enjoyed it every time I come.Special Features:
- Great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The food and service were excellent and I would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulMetalheadDined on 8/29/2014The ambience was wonderful and the food was stellar. Try the coconut covered baked Brie or the antelope scallopini. There is fresh fish three ways. The service was excellentSpecial Features:
- NWdinersDined on 8/20/2014Our family of four (two adults, two teenagers) enjoyed a wonderful dinner here. The Lodge is beautiful, and the service was friendly. We returned the next morning and had an equally enjoyable breakfast. After hiking all morning, we decided to return and have lunch here later that same day. Needless to say, all three meals were great and I would not hesitate to come back again. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dining in Volcano VillageRichardDined on 8/19/2014This upscale restaurant provides a great alternative to the diner/cafe fare that populates most of Volcano Village. It has a cozy and unique atmosphere, an impressive alcohol selection, high quality service, and an incredible menu that features entrees not found everywhere (such as antelope, rabbit, duck, and others). It was a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndeservingJRMCDined on 8/15/2014I'm flabbergasted that this restaurant has the reputation it does. Sure, it's one of the only spots in Volcano to eat a sit-down meal. However, even considering the remote location (which, at only about 45 minutes out of the city of Hilo with its farmer's markets and major chain grocery stores, isn't that inaccessible), the meal I had there was terrible. $38 for lam ordered medium that came out raw (served to a pregnant lady), "filet of antelope leg" that was worse than the most tasteless and tough stew beef, and service that presented the menu as though it were a race to order several (regular menu) dishes before they were gone. Thai Thai next door is awesome; go there. This place is way past its prime, if it ever had one.
- Missed the markKHawkDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I were in Volcano for his birthday and this restaurant was suggested since they print the names of any celebrants on the menu. The customer service is fantastic. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. My husband got a kick out of seeing his name on the menu and he also received some birthday balloons and a dessert. The downside to all of this was the food. For the cost, we felt it should have been much better. It seems to lack any distinctive flavors. Even the chef's award winning soup wasn't impressive. There was just no love put into the food. It's as if they developed the menu decades ago and kept it the same ever since. It's too bad since the restaurant is so nice and the service is fantastic.Special Features:
- Loved itLuckyDined on 8/3/2014Loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. You really felt like you were in a national park. We liked it so much for lunch we went back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality in the middle of nowhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014The tiny village of Volcano, Hawaii, really is a very sparsely populated place on planet Earth. Thus it is fun to find a quality restaurant with so much charm in the middle of "nowhere". The chef and his wife hail from Hamburg, Germany, and the menu is a combination of European dishes prepared with local influence. The ambiance is warm and cozy with a "lodge" feel, which is welcome in this cooler environment at a higher elevation than the warmer coast. It is surely the best restaurant in the area. If traveling in Volcano or staying overnight in the area, be sure to make a reservation here in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulsPicksDined on 7/25/2014I celebrated my birthday by myself. Once I was seated, I was treated like I was with company. Friendly service, and the lamb was excellent, what a treat! The fireplace was alit, making the place very cozy...and very romantic if I had someone with me. I will definitely go there again, and again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we'd been toldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014This restaurant had been recommended by so many that I came w/high expectations. I loved the Hawaiian art that was exhibited everywhere but was disappointed at the noise level. The high ceilings and non absorbent surfaces created a very noisey space. We ordered the escargot appetizer and it was just so/so. Our entree was antelope, boneless duck and ahi tuna w/ papaya. The first two were fine but the catch of the day was a very thick piece and almost tasteless. Very disappointing for some $30. It ended on a good note w/ an extraordinary piece of macadamia nut pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Volcano gourmet...Kahala808Dined on 7/21/2014This has been our third or fourth visit over the years, from when our son was about 11, and years later with our 4 year old daughter, now 17. The Caesar lobster tail salad was split for us, and was excellent, sweet lobster tails tender with lemon and melted butter on the side. The St. Germain potage soup was rich with a deep curry flavor, my picky eater husband finished mine, as well as his and my daughter Hunter soup, full of veggies and rich flavor. Sorry, no room for dessert, but the sample tray made us swoon. Large fireplace, low lamplight, cozy lodge feeling, romantic, gourmet, family friendly. I can't say enough how wonderfully this place is! P.S. In winter the fireplace is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in tiny Volcano, HISuprisemeDined on 7/15/2014Great place to eat if you are staying near the National Park. Beautiful decor, creative menu, amazingly diverse wine list. Steak and seafood were perfectly cooked. It will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok restaurant for VolcanoPhanyVIPDined on 7/14/2014Ok restaurant for Volcano. There is no very good restaurant in Volcano. This is one of the best. My favourite is the Thaithai.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Are you kidding me?DeltasegmentflyDined on 7/4/2014This place is in the middle of no where yet the food and service is 5 star even if you just got off the trail. Are two meals one more traditional and antelope the second night. Great Place for Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Ahi!AnonymousVIPDined on 7/2/2014My husband and I both had delicious Ahi here and service was wonderful. The place is a bit rustic, not at all fancy, as is the volcano area. I generally prefer to have vegetarian meals, and only eat fish if there are no other options for me. This was one of those times. The chef is German and the menu is heavy on game and there was nothing vegetarian. That said, the Ahi was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in VolcanoRockdocVIPDined on 6/28/2014Kilauea Lodge is an excellent restaurant located in a rain forest. The menu is truly innovative and delicious. We are never disappointed wheen dining there.Special Features:
- Great MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014My family loved the variety of choices offered on the Kilauea Lodge Menu. There was something for everyone.Special Features:
- Our favorite place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We always choose Kilauea Lodge to celebrate - birthdays, anniversaries, mother's/father's day, etc. We love the food and our servers are always GREAT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBIGBHUDDADined on 6/9/2014We live local and drive to a wonderful evening every time were on island!Special Features:
- Beef tenderloin heavenPihaKaOpuDined on 6/2/2014The servers, the ambiance and the food were exceptional. Margaritas to the Mac nut dessert, everything was delicious. I especially loved the preparation of me beef tenderloin with red wine mushrooms, onion and cranberries. Heaven on Earth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinnerwas disappointingChocoholicVIPDined on 5/14/2014The description sounded great--but the dinners lacked flavor and taste. The food was just fair, nothing to rave about. We stayed at the Lodge and had breakfast the next day. The breakfast also was nothing special. But, we would recommend staying in the Lodge --great location to the Volcano National Park.
- Outstanding food in unique settingTravelerDined on 5/13/2014This was our third visit to Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant. It offers an interesting and eclectic menu in a very unique setting near the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It is a great place to enjoy a very nice dinner after a day at the park, and you can then return to the park after dark to see the glow of the lava in the steam plume at the main crater. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 247 reviews are from the Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant reviews archive.
- nice b-day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The Lodge has consistent and very good service and food. I've been eating there once per year during every vacation. Many of the staff have been their for years, unlike many other places on the Big Island. The food is great. The servers are polite, helpful, and appear happy to be working there! Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceCaroDined on 5/1/2014The service was outstanding. Super-nice waitress. Great German Food.Special Features:
- Kilauea Lodge meal was okSteveKDined on 4/30/2014Our reservation was for 6:30pm and we were immediately seated. We started with the Alcasian soup which was outstanding. A bit spicy and full of flavor. For mains we ordered lamb provincal and paupiettes of beef both served with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. The vegetables were cold, overcooked and tasteless. The potatoes were over-whipped and tasteless. The lamb was perfectly medium rare and tasty. The paupiettes were fine, just not something I would have again. We shared the chocolate coconut cheesecake which was one of the best I have ever eaten. Our server was friendly and attentive.
- Best Food on the IslandVeggiegirlDined on 4/30/2014We came here last week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Food was great with some interesting dishes, not just surf and turf. I had eggplant supreme which was really tasty and my other half had fillet of antelope leg, with good selection of veg, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Service was faultless - attentive without being fussy. Very cosy dining room with lovely stone fireplace. The staff had also put up balloons and made a note on the menu about our anniversary. We came here 10 years ago to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I truly hope it's not another 10 years before we can come again! Long old way from Canada for dinner though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time ...merrieDined on 4/24/2014Every year I go to the Merrie Monarch, I stay at Kilauea Lodge. Which means I will always eat there. Not by choice but because I want to! Excellent food and outstanding service. Everyone that works there are just awesome, friendly people - love them! And everyone I recommended that place to - has agreed with me! Wish I could go there more often. Duck L'Orange ... OMG ... Safari Schnitzel ... Omg ...Special Features:
- Great and fun Hawaii spot.ReddogVIPDined on 4/16/2014Off the beaten path restaurant. Relaxing. Oldtime Hawaiian feel with décor. All food courses were excellent. Servers were warm, friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in Volcano VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2014Being at Volcano National Park and in the little village of Volcano, one does not have many options that would qualify as "fine dining." But the Kilauea Lodge restaurant never disappoints. The food is well-prepared, there is ample selection, the service is always friendly and solicitous, the fresh foods are always fresh and the portions are more than ample after a day of hiking in the park. When we stay in Volcano overnight, Kilauea Lodge is always our first choice of where we dine. The signature drink is the lilikoi margarita with ling hing mui on the rim. Do try it.Special Features:
- Fine goodWangDined on 4/4/2014色拉一般，牛肉和鸭子非常好吃。 Generally , beef and duck salad was delicious .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is friendly and efficientCajunDined on 3/29/2014Service is friendly and efficient not elegant. All 6 of us thought it was very nice and my friend is booking for her sister next week.Special Features:
- The Lodge of Fine Diningcharper312Dined on 3/28/2014Nestled back off the road, this establishment offers a unique experience of aloha and mainland fine dining. Limited to only about 20 tables, this intentional limitation keeps the diners feeling cozy and romantic and special. The service was superb and the food flowed at a nice place. Every plate was deliciously displayed. I tasted the Mushroom caps and zucchini sticks as appetizers, salads were fresh and green, and the prime rib was hearty. I prefer my steak with more seasoning but it was still good as it was. My only slight disappointment was the desserts, the brownie torte was too dry for me and the lilikoi cheesecake was too sweet. But that is just my taste buds. The wine list is incredible and our bar drinks were perfect too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fine, not overlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014Food was fine, not overly impressive, locale is pleasant. Service staff definitely needs training, not so much the waitress, but the rest starting with the hostess. All more than rushed (except for the waitress), contrary to the impression the restaurant would like to project. Reservation was made, arrived to a mostly empty place, but was seated to the worst corner of the restaurant, with the better view seats claimed 'reserved' but remained empty throughout our meal, menus were shoved into our faces before we even sat down......really lacking in proper service etiquette. This is not my first visit there, if it wasn't for the lack of choice in the area.Special Features:
- Best in Volcano areadinerDined on 3/20/2014I always get the schnitzel, and I always will. So many other tempting options, but where else on the Big Island can I get schnitzel? Friendly, warm, professional staff. A lovely dining room. Always a nice experience. We always bring our guests to Kilauea Lodge after a day at the volcanoes.Special Features:
- Taste of AlohaRonViannaDined on 3/20/2014As guests of the Lodge, the restaurant is an obvious choice to have the full experience. Dinner was an easy paced, very relaxed experience filled with small and pleasant surprises, beginning with the brie cheese appetizer, excellent homemade breads and soups, and moving through unique entrees prepared to perfection, finishing with desserts as unique as everything else. We were "food intoxicated" by the experience, incredible service and attentiveness, and the excellent dining at Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant. A full breakfast was included as a part of the lodging, felt a bit guilty dining again, did it, but who could resist this experience. What a great place, cannot wait to be there again! RESSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacesheilabugDined on 3/18/2014We recently had lunch and dinner at Kilauea Lodge. Everything we ordered at both meals was great, so was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German chocolate cake everNYCDaneDined on 3/17/2014I loved the service, the food - the bread loafs and orange duck are to die for - and the lodge in the forest-vibe. A great place in a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesPekiVIPDined on 3/17/2014We have been dining at Kilauea Lodge for years (when ever we are in Volcano). You could not ask for a more relaxing, Hawaiian dining experience than here. The Ohana spirit is felt by all the staff that serve you (and most have worked here for YEARS). The food is wonderful, and I always look forward to the choices of soup that can be had at dinner with your meal. Whether you are in Volcano for breakfast, lunch or dinner-this should be a definite stop for a meal. And while you are there, check out their gift shop. Their buyer has wonderful taste in merchandise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best on the islandTommyA808Dined on 3/16/2014Notably outstanding menu, food & personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.