Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
19-3948 Old Volcano Rd.
Volcano, HI 96785Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kilauealodge.com/
- Phone: 8089677366
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:30am - 10:00am; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Albert Jeyte
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Kipuka Room offers privacy, fine art, wood burning fireplace. Separate room apart from the main restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Teri Childers 8089677366
A word from Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant, located in the quiet village of Volcano, sits on 5 acres of gardens and gazebos and native forest. This hotel restaurant features a large fireplace, local art, koa tables, and is open nightly. Chef/owner Albert Jeyte blends flavors from his European background with farm, ranch and seafood products from Hawaii, the surrounding Pacific and elsewhere. Volcano Village is at 3700 feet elevation and evenings are often cool and misty. The historic fireplace welcomes guests with it's cheery fire. Home made soups and breads tease the appetite. Albert specializes in unusual game...venison, antelope, rabbit, duck. The biggest sellers are local fish dishes; ahi, ono, mahimahi and the exotic Tristan lobster. A large wine list complements the eclectic menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Volcano ›
Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)special occasion (24)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (20)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- wonderfull experienceamytheystscubaDined on 10/9/2014Restaurant live up to its reputation. A delightful evening for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best non Thai in areadalilah55Dined on 10/6/2014Really enjoyed a moderately priced wine list with the food. Alsace theme seems a bit out of place but works well. Nice people.Special Features:
- GREAT!KefiDined on 10/4/2014Tried and true -- wonderful dining for us! We visit Volcano about once a year and have thoroughly enjoyed Kilauea Lodge Restaurant on each visit since about 1987, when when we discovered it! Never fails to provide a cozy, high-quality, Volcano Village - experience along with delicious food! Tried and true -- wonderful dining for us!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The staff was fantastic and made our Anniversary a very special occasion!Special Features:
- Best place in volcanoKonaboyDined on 9/27/2014As a resident of big island I always thought volcano was lacking quality dining. I should have check this place out years ago. Awesome food in a awesome location. We liked dinner so much that we came back for breakfast. Look forward to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice in the areakukilukiDined on 9/21/2014Service attentive. Food ok but not more. Both chicken and steak were over cooked. Since there isn't much choice in the area this is an ok place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family gatheringHoosierDined on 9/11/2014Perfect way to end the day after touring Volcanos National Park. Really liked the variety on the menu and the daily specials were great that night. Service was outstanding which added to a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodDK23Dined on 9/10/2014Food was delicious and service was perfect. We tried some of the daily specials, very good. We had a perfect evening (it was my boyfriends birthday).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find Near Volcano Nat'l ParkDHDenDined on 9/9/2014Considering the very small town feel to Volcano I was surprised by the menu and quality of the dinner. Chef is Bavarian and his menu reflects it. Quite place that used to be a meeting hall. Service and dinner were great. I highly recommend if in the area.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014One of the very few places on the east side of the Big Island. Have enjoyed it every time I come.Special Features:
- Great as always!ShrimprDined on 8/30/2014The food and service were excellent and I would recommend to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gem in VolcanoDiningPairIADined on 8/29/2014Awesome food and the best service. We were there for our anniversary, and the server did a fantastic job. You could tell she loved the place and took great care of us. Gave copy of menu that was personalized for our special date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulMetalheadDined on 8/29/2014The ambience was wonderful and the food was stellar. Try the coconut covered baked Brie or the antelope scallopini. There is fresh fish three ways. The service was excellentSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The service and food was excellent in this out of the way location in Volcano Village. The menu had a wide choice of local and regional fare. It seemed all diners were enjoying a quality experience. Well paced and attentive service allowed for a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NWdinersDined on 8/20/2014Our family of four (two adults, two teenagers) enjoyed a wonderful dinner here. The Lodge is beautiful, and the service was friendly. We returned the next morning and had an equally enjoyable breakfast. After hiking all morning, we decided to return and have lunch here later that same day. Needless to say, all three meals were great and I would not hesitate to come back again. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dining in Volcano VillageRichardDined on 8/19/2014This upscale restaurant provides a great alternative to the diner/cafe fare that populates most of Volcano Village. It has a cozy and unique atmosphere, an impressive alcohol selection, high quality service, and an incredible menu that features entrees not found everywhere (such as antelope, rabbit, duck, and others). It was a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndeservingJRMCDined on 8/15/2014I'm flabbergasted that this restaurant has the reputation it does. Sure, it's one of the only spots in Volcano to eat a sit-down meal. However, even considering the remote location (which, at only about 45 minutes out of the city of Hilo with its farmer's markets and major chain grocery stores, isn't that inaccessible), the meal I had there was terrible. $38 for lam ordered medium that came out raw (served to a pregnant lady), "filet of antelope leg" that was worse than the most tasteless and tough stew beef, and service that presented the menu as though it were a race to order several (regular menu) dishes before they were gone. Thai Thai next door is awesome; go there. This place is way past its prime, if it ever had one.
- Missed the markKHawkDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I were in Volcano for his birthday and this restaurant was suggested since they print the names of any celebrants on the menu. The customer service is fantastic. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. My husband got a kick out of seeing his name on the menu and he also received some birthday balloons and a dessert. The downside to all of this was the food. For the cost, we felt it should have been much better. It seems to lack any distinctive flavors. Even the chef's award winning soup wasn't impressive. There was just no love put into the food. It's as if they developed the menu decades ago and kept it the same ever since. It's too bad since the restaurant is so nice and the service is fantastic.Special Features:
- Loved itLuckyDined on 8/3/2014Loved the atmosphere and the food was very good. You really felt like you were in a national park. We liked it so much for lunch we went back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality in the middle of nowhereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014The tiny village of Volcano, Hawaii, really is a very sparsely populated place on planet Earth. Thus it is fun to find a quality restaurant with so much charm in the middle of "nowhere". The chef and his wife hail from Hamburg, Germany, and the menu is a combination of European dishes prepared with local influence. The ambiance is warm and cozy with a "lodge" feel, which is welcome in this cooler environment at a higher elevation than the warmer coast. It is surely the best restaurant in the area. If traveling in Volcano or staying overnight in the area, be sure to make a reservation here in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulsPicksDined on 7/25/2014I celebrated my birthday by myself. Once I was seated, I was treated like I was with company. Friendly service, and the lamb was excellent, what a treat! The fireplace was alit, making the place very cozy...and very romantic if I had someone with me. I will definitely go there again, and again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as we'd been toldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014This restaurant had been recommended by so many that I came w/high expectations. I loved the Hawaiian art that was exhibited everywhere but was disappointed at the noise level. The high ceilings and non absorbent surfaces created a very noisey space. We ordered the escargot appetizer and it was just so/so. Our entree was antelope, boneless duck and ahi tuna w/ papaya. The first two were fine but the catch of the day was a very thick piece and almost tasteless. Very disappointing for some $30. It ended on a good note w/ an extraordinary piece of macadamia nut pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Volcano gourmet...Kahala808Dined on 7/21/2014This has been our third or fourth visit over the years, from when our son was about 11, and years later with our 4 year old daughter, now 17. The Caesar lobster tail salad was split for us, and was excellent, sweet lobster tails tender with lemon and melted butter on the side. The St. Germain potage soup was rich with a deep curry flavor, my picky eater husband finished mine, as well as his and my daughter Hunter soup, full of veggies and rich flavor. Sorry, no room for dessert, but the sample tray made us swoon. Large fireplace, low lamplight, cozy lodge feeling, romantic, gourmet, family friendly. I can't say enough how wonderfully this place is! P.S. In winter the fireplace is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in tiny Volcano, HISuprisemeDined on 7/15/2014Great place to eat if you are staying near the National Park. Beautiful decor, creative menu, amazingly diverse wine list. Steak and seafood were perfectly cooked. It will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok restaurant for VolcanoPhanyVIPDined on 7/14/2014Ok restaurant for Volcano. There is no very good restaurant in Volcano. This is one of the best. My favourite is the Thaithai.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Are you kidding me?DeltasegmentflyDined on 7/4/2014This place is in the middle of no where yet the food and service is 5 star even if you just got off the trail. Are two meals one more traditional and antelope the second night. Great Place for Dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Ahi!AnonymousVIPDined on 7/2/2014My husband and I both had delicious Ahi here and service was wonderful. The place is a bit rustic, not at all fancy, as is the volcano area. I generally prefer to have vegetarian meals, and only eat fish if there are no other options for me. This was one of those times. The chef is German and the menu is heavy on game and there was nothing vegetarian. That said, the Ahi was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in VolcanoRockdocVIPDined on 6/28/2014Kilauea Lodge is an excellent restaurant located in a rain forest. The menu is truly innovative and delicious. We are never disappointed wheen dining there.Special Features:
- The following 253 reviews are from the Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014My family loved the variety of choices offered on the Kilauea Lodge Menu. There was something for everyone.Special Features:
- Our favorite place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We always choose Kilauea Lodge to celebrate - birthdays, anniversaries, mother's/father's day, etc. We love the food and our servers are always GREAT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulBIGBHUDDADined on 6/9/2014We live local and drive to a wonderful evening every time were on island!Special Features:
- Beef tenderloin heavenPihaKaOpuDined on 6/2/2014The servers, the ambiance and the food were exceptional. Margaritas to the Mac nut dessert, everything was delicious. I especially loved the preparation of me beef tenderloin with red wine mushrooms, onion and cranberries. Heaven on Earth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinnerwas disappointingChocoholicVIPDined on 5/14/2014The description sounded great--but the dinners lacked flavor and taste. The food was just fair, nothing to rave about. We stayed at the Lodge and had breakfast the next day. The breakfast also was nothing special. But, we would recommend staying in the Lodge --great location to the Volcano National Park.
- Outstanding food in unique settingTravelerVIPDined on 5/13/2014This was our third visit to Kilauea Lodge and Restaurant. It offers an interesting and eclectic menu in a very unique setting near the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It is a great place to enjoy a very nice dinner after a day at the park, and you can then return to the park after dark to see the glow of the lava in the steam plume at the main crater. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice b-day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The Lodge has consistent and very good service and food. I've been eating there once per year during every vacation. Many of the staff have been their for years, unlike many other places on the Big Island. The food is great. The servers are polite, helpful, and appear happy to be working there! Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceCaroDined on 5/1/2014The service was outstanding. Super-nice waitress. Great German Food.Special Features:
- Kilauea Lodge meal was okSteveKDined on 4/30/2014Our reservation was for 6:30pm and we were immediately seated. We started with the Alcasian soup which was outstanding. A bit spicy and full of flavor. For mains we ordered lamb provincal and paupiettes of beef both served with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. The vegetables were cold, overcooked and tasteless. The potatoes were over-whipped and tasteless. The lamb was perfectly medium rare and tasty. The paupiettes were fine, just not something I would have again. We shared the chocolate coconut cheesecake which was one of the best I have ever eaten. Our server was friendly and attentive.
- Best Food on the IslandVeggiegirlDined on 4/30/2014We came here last week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Food was great with some interesting dishes, not just surf and turf. I had eggplant supreme which was really tasty and my other half had fillet of antelope leg, with good selection of veg, which he thoroughly enjoyed. Service was faultless - attentive without being fussy. Very cosy dining room with lovely stone fireplace. The staff had also put up balloons and made a note on the menu about our anniversary. We came here 10 years ago to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I truly hope it's not another 10 years before we can come again! Long old way from Canada for dinner though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time ...merrieDined on 4/24/2014Every year I go to the Merrie Monarch, I stay at Kilauea Lodge. Which means I will always eat there. Not by choice but because I want to! Excellent food and outstanding service. Everyone that works there are just awesome, friendly people - love them! And everyone I recommended that place to - has agreed with me! Wish I could go there more often. Duck L'Orange ... OMG ... Safari Schnitzel ... Omg ...Special Features:
- Great and fun Hawaii spot.ReddogVIPDined on 4/16/2014Off the beaten path restaurant. Relaxing. Oldtime Hawaiian feel with décor. All food courses were excellent. Servers were warm, friendly and helpful.Special Features: