139 East Kilbourn Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kilawatcuisine.com/
- Phone: (414) 291-4793
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am-2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Druschitz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kil@Wat
Kil@wat is Milwaukee's premier dining destination offering illuminating cuisine in a unique atmosphere. The flexible menu allows for traditional dining as well as tapas-style items that are good for sharing. Located in the InterContinental Milwaukee Hotel, the restaurant is convenient for pre and post theatre dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Kil@Wat - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Kil@Wat reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)fit for foodies (55)romantic (38)scenic view (38)good for groups (29)great for lunch (22)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (18)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- OFF THE MARKJOmarVIPDined on 11/21/2014My wife and I were meeting friends for dinner before a show. I specifically noted our requested departure time in reservation notes. Upon arrival the hostess said "Can I have a last name", void of any other greeting. With a 6:30 reservation and a 1/3 full dining room we were seated at a table just a few feet from the entrance. Water glasses were filled by a service assistant shortly following seating. After waiting 5+ minutes, and our proximity to the host stand, I queried the 3 staff members there if we might be able to be assigned a server. The manager apologized and said he would send someone over directly. A server Mario stated he would take a drink order and Graham would then be with us shortly. We received our drinks promptly and a few minutes later Mario stated he would be our server and didn't know where Graham was. We ordered salads and entrees with salads delivered quickly. We were not finished with salads and a runner delivered entrees. While we had a show to attend food service was rushed resulting in an awkward wait to head to the theater. Surprisingly with opening night at the Rep and sold out show at the Milwaukee theater the restaurant did not fill past 50%, adding insult to our table location. Food presentation was good with quality sub-par. We have dined here frequently and hope this was just an off night for staff and restaurant. We have experienced better and hope that will be fulfilled at our next visit.
- Great service and good food!CatfanVIPDined on 11/20/2014Revamped menu is still tasty! I had the chicken and my husband had the short ribs - both were really good. Our service was outstanding as always. The thing I like best about this restaurant is their consistent willingness to meet our seating requests. We have a favorite table, and with the exception of one reservation, they have always honored our request for our table. We will continue to go here for our pre-show dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceSavannahDined on 11/16/2014It was my second time at kilawat, and the first time was a great experience. While the food the second time around was just as good, the service was mediocre. Myself and two friends came around noon on Sunday, and despite the restaurant being quite empty, our service was very slow. It took quite a while to get coffee and drinks, and when we asked for anything, it took ten to fifteen minutes until we saw our server again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for our night out!!AnneDined on 11/15/2014Loved the food, really nice atmosphere!! Valet parked and walked up to the Milwaukee Theatre and came back for the car!! Did not have to park twice...nice young men at valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-theater!OzarkDined on 11/14/2014The pre-theater three-course dinners are a great deal, and the servers are excellent at timing meals to work with theater or symphony start times. Highly recommend the Beef Short Ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New season, same excellenceRelaxedtouristDined on 11/13/2014Pre-show dinner Thursday night: menu's changed for the season, and it's full of deliciousness. I chose the cider-brined pork chop, Companion went with the polenta/eggplant stack. Both were excellent. My only quibble with my dinner is that I would cook my brussels sprouts a little longer, but even though they were a little chewy for me they still tasted great. We also split a very interesting trio of Purple Door ice creams for dessert; our favorite was a very compelling Chocolate Whiskey, closely followed by Blackberry. We love the window booths and the view of the changing lights washing the side of the Marcus Center across the street. As usual, we were impressed by the service - attentive, warmly enthusiastic about the dining options, but not obtrusive while we were eating. Also a word to the drinks menu: I've tried several of the specialty cocktails, and this visit's choice of the TownK@r was delightful. A highly satisfactory dinner and a great start to our evening. And, as usual when we stay at the Intercontinental, the next morning I ordered the exemplary Corned Beef Hash from room service for breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre DinnerSmokyLake3Dined on 11/12/2014We chose Kil@wat Restaurant because it was close to the Milwaukee Theater District and listed on the Open Table Web site. The overall Ambiance was warm and inviting due to the upscale contemporary lighting and decor. When we arrived at 6:00 PM, the restaurant was not full and had only ten or less tables with dining guests. That was surprising to me. My husband and I both ordered the braised beef ribs which came with a salad and dessert off the Pre-Theater Menu. At first when the Caesar salad arrived we were disappointed in the portion size being very small, it should be slightly larger. The salad greens could have been greener and fresher looking. The biggest disappointment of the salad was the minimal amount of salad dressing or lack there of. My husband said to me, " I think they forgot to put dressing on it"! I felt the same way too. Not a good way to start your dinner at a new restaurant. However, they made up for it on the entree and the dessert. The beef ribs were fork tender and very flavorful. Loved the brussel sprouts with a hint of vinegar. The chocolate dessert was to die for! The service was impeccable. Our waiter and all the other staff were very attentive. We will return to this restaurant as overall it was very good. We have season tickets to the Broadway Series and always have dinner in downtown Milwaukee before our shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Will Always Go to Kil@WatPavlovaDined on 11/2/2014I love that place. Sometimes I miss the buffet you used to have on Sundays (though I did have one last winter when there'd been a fire in the kitchen, or something), but I love the menu. Sunday my sister had the blueberry pancakes, which I'd never tried at Kil@Wat. I had a bite of hers; they were the best!!! My usual California Benedict was great, but I'm getting pancakes next time I'm in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the balletLove2DineDined on 11/2/2014Our group of 4 women loved the menu choices for brunch. We were expecting a prix fixe choice for theater goers, per the webpage, but found out that was only for evening performances. We told the waitress that we had a show to go to, but this did not speed up the service any. Food was very good. Requested separate checks for payment and were given bills with the entire order divided by 4, which is not the same as paying each for our own meal. I think there may have been some issues with the computers when we were trying to get our checks. We got to the Ballet with about 5 minutes to spare. Lovely restaurant for before a show, but the wait staff needs to be cognizant of the time. The restaurant was not real busy while we were there.Special Features:
- Nice find for a special nightNcurn12Dined on 11/1/2014We were recommended here by some non-foodie friends. I would say for an upscale place it was 7/10 stars, but more on the high end for location, ambiance and service. Wine and drink list were great- food had good selections but our entrees and salads were missing more sauce and flavors (which was in the sauce that was present). Lamb was undercooked (rare vs medium rare as ordered and tough). Would definitely go again though. Very pricey. Hard to find inside the hotel.Special Features:
- HAD TO WAIT TO LONGMosesDined on 11/1/2014Even though I called ahead and when we were seated let you know that we had the Milwaukee Ballet performance our order took over an hour to be served. We arrived @ 5:45 PM ordered by 6 PM we didn't receive our entrees till 7:10PM so we had to eat quick. I also sent a link for your menu to everyone but than it wasn't what you were serving.
- eh. . .outoftownerVIPDined on 10/28/2014This was not my first trip to Kil@wat. In the past, I've had great service and food. This trip was disappointing to say the least. We sat at our table for 15 minutes before we were even asked for our drink order. I knew they had a special menu for people seeing shows (which we were). Our waiter after taking so long to even acknowledge us, told us we wouldn't have time to order those things and we should order 1 of 3 items if we hoped to make the show. Mind you, 2 of the selections he offered, were items on the special menu, but without the extras and at a higher price. After ordering, we weren't able to get refills in a timely manner on our drinks. Disappointing all around.
- New MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We dined at Kil@wat the night the new menu was rolled out. My boyfriend had the pork chop and I had the cavatappi. The pork chop was the BEST pork chop either of us had ever had; it was tender, juicy, and had a wonderful blend of flavors ranging from herbs to fruit. The cavatappi was light, with subtle spice and good seafood. I also liked the charity options on drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but service, ehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014I've eaten here before but this was my first time for brunch. After the waitress took our order we did not see her for 45 minutes. We were not offered refills on coffee, finally when they brought our food we could get some more.Special Features:
- Date night with the wifecaptnronDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I went to Kil@Wat for a date night and we weren't disappointed. We were seated immediately and the server was prompt. We both had the special - scallops and risotto. They were done perfectly, golden brown and not over cooked (not chewy). Mine were just a little salty, but overall the whole dish was very good. The ambiance was pretty cool and the noise level was relatively quite. We had no problems talking and hearing each other. I'd recommend this place and will go back.Special Features:
- pattyDined on 10/25/2014the staff was friendly and attentive, but not pesty. the manager came over to make sure we were happy with our supper. . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014Thank you again, Graham, for making dinner at Kil@wat another lovely evening. We were there with a party of six, shown one of the best tables in the place and had wonderful service. Always recommending wonderful wines! Food was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown diningTeejayVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great place for eating before theatre. LOVE the "Big Boy burger".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Great Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014After having a bit of a difficult time with parking, we were pressed for time to make it to the theater after dinner. Without prompting, the wait staff asked if we were going to the theater. The service was attentive and excellent. Without taking shortcuts, they made sure we were well taken care of to make our show. Also, the food was excellent.
- night at the RepOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014This restaurant was very convenient if you are looking for a pre-theatre dinner. They offered a 3 course theatre special although we did not select this. We both had the specials for the evening and thought the food was excellent. I really liked the bread/rolls served, especially the pretzel roll. I would return here again the next time we catch a show at the Rep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is outstandingLives2eatVIPDined on 10/17/2014We are regulars at Kil@wat, both for pre concert dinners as well as just for great dining. The food is consistently good, the dining room is never too noisy, but if you are fortunate enough to have Graham as your server, he will make your visit an experience. His attention to detail, attentive to your wants and needs as well as his extensive knowledge of wine and wonderful pairings will have you returning again and again. If you haven't given Kil@wat a try because you thought it was just another hotel restaurant , try it! You will be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must for Milwaukee Rep CrowdLittleBobbieDined on 10/16/2014This restaurant completes the trifecta for a great evening - heated under ground parking that ensures weather elements are not a factor, great food in a wonderful setting, finished with world class entertainment at the Milwaukee Repertory Theater. All of this can be enjoyed without setting foot outside on a cold winter's evening. There is no excuse to stay home with this gem in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Recommended for theater goersFredlikestoeatDined on 10/12/2014Great food for before or after theater. We love the chic atmosphere, great servers and food is always well prepared. Kilowatt is always part of our plans when we have tickets to the Rep. We have found the food, service and ambience to always be consistent. We highly recommend this restaurnt. You cannot go wrong and if you are in the mood for a little nostalgia you can even order a Big Boy and a Cherry Coke.Special Features:
- Ok but not greatMazzDaddDined on 10/11/2014We frequent the PAC and thought this would be a good place to try. The restaurant was clean and the staff was polite and our table was waiting for us when we arrived. Pricing was moderate @ $40/person which one would expect @ a downtown restaurant. The food simply was not great. Good spot for the out-of-towner staying @ the InterContinental but we simply expected more. Bottom line, we tried it but we will not be returning.
- Friendly, Tasty!ArcolungoDined on 10/6/2014The entire staff was extremely friendly, professional and very attentive. I had the pork shank, which was incredible! The best I have ever had by far. The portion was very large. I probably could have made two meals out of it. I probably should have. I didn’t. My friend had the Filet Mignon and said that it had excellent flavor and was cooked to his liking. We had a window-side table with a great night view. Nice wine list as well. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceSouthernbelleDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I always eat here after plays, we have always enjoyed it. Usually the food is very good , but not our last visit. I ordered the whitefish which was tasteless, But when I told the waiter he took it off my bill right away. I understand that this can happen and we will return Because of the service!Special Features:
- ParttimeresidentDined on 10/3/2014Kil@Wat is consistently good. A good place for dinner before the Milwaukee Rep or something at the Marcus Center.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceGSMCEODined on 9/27/2014My husband and I had only eaten at Kil@wat for lunch so we took our college-age son there for supper on Saturday. The hostess and wait staff were friendly and upbeat. The waiter gave us honest recommendations when we asked. The restaurant lighting is beautiful. We love great food and to eat interesting things, but we are not fond of the quiet and solemn "church of food" attitude some fine restaurants have cultivated. If dining can't be fun, with laughter and discussion, one may as well stay at home. Kil@Wat is a fun, interesting place to eat fine food and good wine.Special Features:
- Good pre-show choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Kil@wat is close to several theatres and its staff does a good job accommodating those who are on a schedule. Our service was polite and timely, and our server was able to offer informed recommendations about the menu. We had a roasted beet salad, warm polenta cakes, braised short rib, bacon wrapped dates and a strawberry panna cotta. All were prepared well and very tasty! We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Fantastic ServiceBdestoutDined on 9/24/2014Kendal, a new server, was very prompt and attentive. My guest ordered the fish tacos and LOVED them! She especially loved the avocado salsa. I tried the Blackened Chicken Sandwich with a lime aioli which was also fantastic. Overall a great meal and a great window table. Thank you!Special Features:
- Dependably PleasantRelaxedtouristDined on 9/23/2014We were early-birding it before a concert at the Pabst, and almost had the place to ourselves. You can't count on that happening, we've also come in before shows and found the place bustling, so reservations are a good idea. The service is friendly and attentive, but not obtrusive. They offer a 3-course pre-theatre menu, but we ordered off the regular menu and were in plenty of time. Companion loved her salmon, I enjoyed the braised pork shank, and we both loved the soup of the day, a deliciously spicy cioppino. Waiter brought extra pretzel rolls. Yum. This is a reliable dining choice, and brunch the next morning is a good bet, too. The corned beef hash cannot be beat. If you're at the Intercontinental, order it from room service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BistroDaveHVIPDined on 9/22/2014Very nice Bistro setting within the Intercontinental Hotel. I had a veggie panini which was excellent. Others in my party had salads and reubens. Everyone raved over the tomato basil soup special. Service was excellent. Appeals to all palettes.Special Features:
- Kilowatt pre performance dinnerTortugitaDined on 9/19/2014Your performance 3 course dinners offered great options at an enticing price - a definite value. Gnocchi was good but needed a side of a veggie like spinachSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicejleeDined on 9/19/2014Perfect for pre-performance dining in the theatre district. They have a special pre-theatre menu which includes soup or salad, entree and dessert for $30. Great value as the food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchBelleDined on 9/12/2014I had the grass fed hamburger and it was one of the best burgers I have ever had. After lunch my dining partner/boss from Chicago told anyone who would listen how excellent the Bean Soup was. To let you know my dining partner (one of my bosses from Chicago) main job seems to be to take people out to lunch so he has dined a hundreds of places. No as for our server. That young man was excellent. He was clean, neat, knowledgeable and very personable. He even took the time talk about different soups with my dining partner (it appears my dining partner is a soup dude). I plan on taking my wife to your place for lunch some day knowing that the food, service, and atmosphere will be excellent.Special Features:
- Nice place in a good locationJamesBVIPDined on 8/22/2014Kil@wat is a very fun restaurant - great decor and location. I liked the food selection and thought my NY Strip was well prepared though not the best cut of meat I've had. The service was excellent. It is a grew location if you want to catch a show at the theatre afterward. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert dinner spotNancyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Great location, walking distance to theaters and concert venues. We had a quiet dinner in the bar on a week night before a concert. We started with the interesting charcuterie platter. The chicken liver mousse was especially good. I enjoyed the gnocchi with fresno chili, tomato-vodka sauce, parmesan cheese. The waiter suggested a Meiomi pinot noir that balanced nicely with the spicy gnocchi. The coconut panne cotta on a thin slice of roasted pineapple was perfect for dessert along with a generous cup of coffee. All in all a great meal in a beautiful downtown spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon hash!!BellaDined on 8/10/2014The best food item to me! No one makes it like Kil@wat!! YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and TheaterteamfunDined on 8/9/2014We had a 6 pm reservation for dinner and a show at the Riverside at 8 pm. Perfect timing, lovely walk to theater along the riverwalk following dinner. It made for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceLegourmandDined on 8/8/2014Our group of four ordered a mix of dishes, including pork, pasta with chicken, and fish. All were well prepared, with balanced and flavorful taste. Menu descriptions were accurate, no surprises when the dishes themselves were served. Salads were fresh and light. Service was amazingly, impressively fast. Didn't feel rushed, but we certainly appreciated being able to dine at our pace rather than that of the kitchen.Special Features: