9 Broad Canal Way
Cambridge, MA 02142Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kikatapas.com/
- Phone: 6172456030
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Portuguese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Brunson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 350 Third Street
- Public Transit: Red Line - Kendall
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Located in the Watermark Building on Third Street. Entrance to Kika on Broad Canal Way. Validated parking at Kendall Square South Garage (entrance on Kendall Street) after 4pm. Metered parking available until 6pm.
A word from Kika Tapas
The owners of Tapeo & Solea bring a modern Spanish tapas restaurant to Kendall Square. Named and inspired after Spanish director Pedro Almodovar's hit movie, Kika, the bright interior and retro design offer a unique and eccentric way of dining on tapas and sipping on homemade sangria in a glowing environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kika Tapas reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (8)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- keyslpDined on 9/13/2014Thank you for being gluten free. Waiter didn't refill our wine glasses, we ordered a bottleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre pricy dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014came here for dinner, kinda pricy, food is very salty not much tasteSpecial Features:
- On-Line ReservationReservationDined on 9/3/2014When my guest showed up give my name saying that we had a 6:00 reservation and was told there was no reservation in my name. Not good.Special Features:
- Yay!snapfarrDined on 8/27/2014I've been a number of times, and it's nothing but delicious. Tried the vegetarian paella this time around- absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TFCambridgeDined on 8/27/2014The food was excellent; everything was delicious. I think this would be a great place for a group, since you can order a lot of things and try stuff that you might otherwise not try. The Dine Out Boston deal was not much of a deal - depending on what you got, you ended up paying about the same as the regular price. But everything we had was worth the price.Special Features:
- Kika TapaslouiseDined on 8/26/2014Ideal at two tapas per person. Gives a chance to share. interesting seating arrangement.Special Features:
- Amazing !TheflorentineDined on 8/22/2014We had the best experince ever ! The service is impeccable ! Super fast and super kind ! The ambient is so Spanish ! The decor is perfect and the restaurant is such a noise free place that you can easily dine without kids running around making tons of noise . The food is amazing ! It's perfectly like the One you can have in Spain ! Their paella is something you must have when you go there ! The tapas are amazing too! A must have too ! I highly recommend to try them both ! The music is very very nice and not disturbing at all ! The owner is super nice and makes sure his clients are served and treated the best way ! So attentive !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas for lunchLadadadeeDined on 8/21/2014So everyone's prepared for tapas to be small, but these were mostly teeny-tiny. If you're going to go in a group, you better get two of everything, or else be prepared to only get a Costco-sample-sized portion of each thing. The food itself is tasty, but just kinda the standard, predictable tapas that are everywhere. The service for lunch was confused. You have to keep tabs on what you've ordered, or else some never show up on your table. I've been to Kika once before with a friend for dinner and remember being underwhelmed. I overall had the same feeling the second time around. I guess if you're trapped in Kendall Square you could do worse, but you could also do a lot better.
- not going backDTXxxVIPDined on 8/16/2014Lighting is too bright for dinner. kind of hald circle tables are not good for a group such as 6 people, too far from each other. The restaurant was almost mepty. Food was good.
- Good food and serviceNettakDined on 8/11/2014The food was really good and so was the service. The outdoor seating is nice and relaxed. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Worst meal ever!IvygeeDined on 8/7/2014First, let me say that I’m a big fan of tapas, and love Tapeo and Dali. Kika was a huge disappointment. We ordered five tapas, and would not recommend any one of them. The worst was the ceviche. It should have been fresh and citrusy, but it looked and tasted a week old. We couldn’t eat it. The beef empanada was dry, burnt and cold. The garlic shrimp was just okay. The only plate we finished was the short ribs, mainly because we were hungry. In spite of this, I gave Kika two stars because of their yummy sangria royal and delicious dessert. The berry crepe with dulce de leche was fantastic. If I ever return, it will be for drinks and dessert only.
- Too expensivePeteDined on 8/5/2014The food was good, but it wasn't nearly worth the price.Special Features:
- Kika did it again!LOVE4KIKADined on 7/18/2014i HAD ANOTHER AMAZING DINING EXPERIENCE AT KIKA. THE BAR SCENE IS ALWAYS HIP AND INVITING AND THE DINING ROOM SPACIOUS AND FUN! THE FOOD AS ALWAYS WAS TO DIE FOR AND THE SERVICE KEEPS ME COMING BACK FOR MORE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting from out of townNicoleDined on 7/4/2014Delicious options for dinner and drinks. Great service!Special Features:
- Tapas for hipstersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent restaurant and nice find in east Cambridge. Mostly groups and young couples when we ate there on a nice breezy summer evening. We had a babysitter with our kids but there was one brave couple there with a toddler who seemed to do ok. Great sangria. Nice dessert. Tapas menu very good-to-excellent.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious tapasYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 6/14/2014On a Saturday night, Kika Tapas is not lively, because of its location in Kendall Square. Don't be deterred - the food is excellent and the staff is attentive and helpful. With a party of four, we tried several dishes and were delighted with every one of them. The room is beautiful, and very comfortable and immaculately clean. Also the wine list offers excellent options. I suspect that weekdays are lively (if not, they should be, because the food is great!), and this restaurant deserves a loyal, full-time following. We'll definitely return!Special Features:
- 4 visits, 4 good dining experiencesMayorSalesDined on 5/27/2014Consistently tasty tapas, good variety. Ceviche and lamb meatballs were 2 dishes that were especially goodSpecial Features:
- The following 202 reviews are from the Kika Tapas reviews archive.
- What happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/24/2014Not my first time dining at Kikas but certainly the worst time dining there. Perhaps it was an inexperienced cook due to Memorial day weekend but whatever it was it was not good. Crab/avocado appetizer was particularly bad and had to be sent back. The normally reliable braised short rib was tough and dry, not at all what I have come to expect. Lobster ravioli was tasty but luke warm when it go to us, which is hard to do since the restaurant was empty. At least the sangria was good.
- Fun in Kendall SquarewestenderVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is one of many new places in Kendall Square. There are a lot of tables outside, and a large handsome interior with a substantial bar. Everyone was warm and welcoming. Fun, different menu of Spanish tapas and a good wine list. The 4 items we tried were yummy - Brazilian cheese bread, eggplant, bacon wrapped prunes stuffed with goat cheese, applewood sausage with foi gras. Portions are not large, good for each person to get a taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem of a placeLocalDinerDined on 5/17/2014Great food, very friendly waitress, warm ambience...... how can one go wrong. EVERY single dish we ordered (meatballs in sauce, braised artichokes, garlic shrimp.... and, and, and...) was a winner. Plan to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceterrificDined on 5/10/2014Not much to add - just all around excellent food - ingredients seems very fresh and preparation/presentation was outstanding. Great stuff. Our second visit and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!CambridgeDinerDined on 5/9/2014Great dinner with friends on a friday night! Food and service was excellent. Menu has variety and interesting choices. Easily accessible-parking close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas...Opus25VIPDined on 5/9/2014Kika, along with Solea, are our favorite Tapas places in Boston. Terrific selection and good value for the price. Avery nice balance between seafood, meat and vegeterian plates. The Palella is outstanding.Special Features:
- Cool decor, but food was blah.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014We were there on a Saturday night around 6 and the place was empty. I don't know if people don't really know about it or if it just isn't popular? The restaurant is beautiful and the service was good, but the food wasn't really too exciting. We found a few of the dishes to be a little bland. If I were to go back for something it would be for the salmon with spinach. The salmon was cooked perfectly. I think this could be a great bar spot because it is just so beautiful inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub-par diningKaceyDined on 4/25/2014A group of us went here Friday night hoping for some good, authentic spanish tapas. We had one good dish: the short ribs. Although we ordered two of them and they had slightly different tasting sauces on each. The garlic shrimp were bland, the cauliflower fritters were gummy and seemed undercooked. We had to send the chicken dish back because it was so tough we could barely cut into it. The desserts were good: crepe & churros. I probably wouldn't come back here.
- Not like sister resteraunt at allframmanDined on 4/5/2014Very disappointed. Went to sister restaurant on Newbury Street in Boston in February and had a great meal with good service and great ambience. The food was okay but portions were smaller than in Boston and not as good. The mojito tasted like a cheap margarita mix with two mint leaves. There is no ambience and the service was horrible. Waiter never aplogized for the drink and never asked how our food was or if my wife wanted another dirnk. The palce was empty on a Saturday night and yet the waiter was not attentive at all.
- This was first time thereStuartVIPDined on 4/3/2014This was first time there so cannot tell if my experience is typical. We arrived early for lunch, The service was great and noise level very low - seemed to be only about half full, so might be noisier at other times. The first course was a goat cheese with tomato sauce spread on bread - which was great. But the main course which was a Spanish salad with tuna fish, boiled eggs, etc. - was disappointing. Either there was no sauce or it was without much taste.
- Great find!MetroWesternerVIPDined on 3/31/2014The service was good -- the food was FABULOUS. Dinner was a little expensive (about $55 each, no alcohol, included dessert, tax, and tip), but it was an outstanding dining experience. The crab and avocado (Palta Reina) was a great combination of tastes and textures. If you eat shrimp, do not miss the sauteed shrimp, asparagus, whipped eggs, fried bread (Revuelto). The chicken empañada was very tasty. The grilled chicken breast (Pechuga) was also quite good, though the sauce was the best part. This restaurant isn't anywhere near places I usually go, but I will go out of my way to return. It was almost empty on a Monday night. I hope it gets busier -- it would be a shame if it had to close for lack of diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Tapas" not tapasGagaForTapasDined on 3/27/2014I love tapas and dig the culture of Spain. When I heard there was a tasty tapas place in town I was excited. Unfortunately the experience was similar to seeing a movie that others have hyped a lot -- a let down. I went during restaurant week, which I'm impacts the restaurant in terms of volume, level of service, etc. However, my issue wasn't with the wait staff; while they were a bit slow on the draw with the ordering that wasn't too big a deal since we weren't in a rush. The issue was with the ambiance and the menu. The food was bland (I love garlic shrimp and am disappointed when this staple doesn't work) and they had odd twists (Mambo Cab instead of Mambo Taxi -- ok, a nitpick but still). It wasn't bad, but should have been great.
- Restaurant Week deal was notPatrickDined on 3/26/2014Restaurant Week deal was not a discount from regular prices for the items we could pick; very expensive.Special Features:
- Outstanding tapas!BostonGirlDined on 3/22/2014Kikas Tapas has outstanding tapas. My husband is Spanish and said it was the most authentic dishes he'd had outside of Spain. You can't get higher praise! We ate the grilled shrimp in garlic, mixed olives, fried calamari, grilled artichokes, and mixed wild mushrooms. You get complimentary bread to compliment all of the dishes and they will offer you a second serving of it. For desserts, we had the chocolate tarte & tres leche which were divine. The service was attentive, but never intrusive. She happily explained any of the dishes when we had questions. She was very knowledgeable about the wine list, too. The design of the restaurant is funky, yet cosy and inviting. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kika worth a trysurfunVIPDined on 3/22/2014We booked Kika for a Saturday evening looking forward to a nice Tapas dinner. We were surprised to find the dining room fairly empty on a Saturday at 7:30, but it was restaurant week in Boston, and perhaps the competition was stiff. Overall we found all of the food served to us (we ordered off the restaurant week, prix fixe menu) to be good, tasty and served in generous portions. Not the best Tapas ever, but good. Food came from the kitchen very quickly, almost too quickly, and we had to ask our waiter to slow us down. We did have a few service issues with our waiter, he asked us if we wanted to order food before asking us for a drink order, and then later forgot to bring my Sangria. Kika is worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good treatsJennDined on 3/21/2014We went because of restaurant week, but it seemed like it would be a better deal to simply order off the menu. Favorite dishes were the sautéed spinach with pine nuts and raisins, sautéed mushrooms, and the salmon.Special Features:
- good experiencestasterDined on 3/21/2014It's good time to taste different restaurant and we had good exprienecsSpecial Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014Food, service and ambience were terrific.... What more can you ask for? Very reasonable prices and an eclectic variety of Spanish foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ugh, not for gourmandsoptimisticdinerDined on 3/19/2014So hoping this would be charming, but it was far from it. Meat in a bowl of sauce that sloshed about when cut was what one guest had to endure. Most of the guests finished their meals before the final guest even received theirs. Servers were not listening to guests requests and the wait was way to long. May have needed
- It was nearly empty on a MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/17/2014It was nearly empty on a Monday night, so service was quick and it was very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFiDiGirlVIPDined on 3/8/2014We are tapas lovers and frequently visit restaurants which offer them. Kika Tapas had a wonderful selection beyond the basics. I absolutely loved the artichoke mushroom and goat cheese bruschetta and the lamb meatballs. Everything else was delicious too. The atmosphere was elegant and modern which is a rarity in tapas places and the music wasn't too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super yummy!KW33VIPDined on 3/6/2014The service was amazing and so was the food. I highly recommend the paella.Special Features:
- Great TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/3/2014Came for an early dinner before a show in Boston, our first visit. Went with the tapas and were not disappointed. Papas Bravas very tasty but not too thickly sauced. The avocado/crab/mango timbale was light but refreshing and flavorful. Also got the chicken croquettas, shrimp in olive oil and sauteed spinach with pine nuts and raisins, which was delicious. The restaurant was very quiet, mainly because it was very early for dinner and a really cold, Monday night. All in all, based on this experience we highly recommend this place. Also, service with a smile. Salud !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.