Ki Sushi & Izakaya
540 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Ki Sushi & Izakaya
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ki-sushisf.com/
- Phone: 4152780495
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays - Closed Lunch:11:30am-2pm (Monday-Friday) Dinner: 5pm-10pm (Tuesday - Saturday) Izakaya Happy Hour: 5pm-7pm (Tuesday - Friday)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Brian Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Temple nightclub offers three rooms of entertainment every weekend with special shows and events midweek. Ki Sushi & Izakaya showcases the talents of our resident DJ's nightly during dinner.
- Special Events: Ki is conveniently located inside Temple Nightclub. The restaurant is located just two blocks from Moscone Center, close to many of San Francisco's finest hotels. The LED’s create a full spectrum of different color lighting options to change the mood of the room. Three large LCD screens are programmed with custom graphics of reinterpreted Japanese art, inspired by wood block printing. The restaurant seats 30 guests with an additional 10 seats at the sushi bar. Ki is the perfect location for any private or corporate gathering. Our sales staff can assist you with full event production and party planning, from small intimate dinners to luxurious larger than life gala events. With such limitless possibilities, Ki/Temple is the perfect venue to hold your next private event. For catering inquiries or private event information, please call 415-978-9942 x309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Ki Sushi & Izakaya
Situated in the heart of Temple Nightclub in San Francisco, Ki is a modern take on a tried-and-true Japanese establishment: the venerable izakaya. In these times of climate change, resource scarcity, and consumer confusion, we must reconsider our behavior and question old paradigms. Ki is the izakaya for the 21st Century: comfortable yet chic, delicious yet sustainable and unafraid to challenge the status quo. Through innovation, creativity and the betterment of the planet, Ki is the world’s first izakaya that is designed to be conscious of a greater purpose.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ki Sushi & Izakaya reviews from OpenTable diners
- Normally I would enjoy myOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2013Normally I would enjoy my time going to Ki. This time I did not get the friendly service from my past times. I thought they could be a bit rude and the host was not very accommodating.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Awesome for a group of us from out of town! Had really good food and the servers were so helpful and friendly! We all had a great time!Special Features:
- seems like they were understaffedFoodieBearVIPDined on 2/6/2013seems like they were understaffed that day - a waitress was also acting as hostess
- Overall, the building is ratherOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Overall, the building is rather tired. It is essentially a nightclub, which looks ok at night; not so much by day. The restaurant is to the right of the main nightclub hall and seemed bright with a reasonable ambiance, though in need of sprucing up (didn't seem overly clean somehow...). We, however, ate in the 'lounge' since we had a party of six. The 'lounge' is to the left of the nightclub hall, and maybe doubles as a cloak room by night... probably one of the most bizarre places I've paid to dine, and not in a good way...
- AWEFULOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2012The service was horrible. The manager was uptight and not personable. Not a welcoming restaurant. The sushi took 45 minutes to arrive due to a party of ten that was having bottle service. No one was in the restaurant. They TRYED to make us feel like second rate customers. Funny part is we could have bought 30 bottles, if we felt like it!!! What a shame. I think the staff is unhappy managed poorly and the reviews for the place must have been written by friends. Never go there!!!!!
- This is my second time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/15/2012This is my second time here and each time it has been very quiet for dinner with no one there. I assume it is because the club wasn't open yet - so if you want a dead restaurant with good food for dinner, this could be your spot if you go between 5-10p.
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2012Went for lunch with a group during the week. The food was great and everyone enjoyed what they ordered (from the tempura to the sushi rolls). The atmosphere was pretty energetic, so good for a group. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent food, and excellentHunterVIPDined on 11/21/2012Excellent food, and excellent service. One of the BEST Asian fusion and sushi places in the city. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- Not your normal sushi. QuitefitndineVIPDined on 8/8/2012Not your normal sushi. Quite interesting on how creative the sushi chefs are...fruits in your sushi? Quite good.
- The restaurant ambience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2012The restaurant ambience was dark,small,cozy. The service was great. They split the Ramen with pork soup to into two bowls to share. It was an experience to try the fondue dessert -- white chocolate with green tea syrup dip with fresh fruits and 3 sample sizes deep fried banana.Special Features:
- Great grilled skewers andRoxanneVIPDined on 8/7/2012Great grilled skewers and sushi!! Our service getting to pay bill was a big wait as the restaurant started to pick up on their guests but food was worth it!Special Features:
- Attentive service. Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2012Attentive service. Very good food. Menu somewhat limited because the only use sustainable ingredients.Special Features:
- Great ramen and yakitori too!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/13/2012I've fallen in love with this place - my wife loves ramen more than life, and the ramen here is great. I've recently started ordering the yakitori - the bacon wrapped quail eggs and the pork belly are amazing. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- The quality and ambiance ofMaggieCVIPDined on 5/3/2012The quality and ambiance of this sushi place is just so so. I would consider returning only if I plan on going to Temple night club as it would waive their cover charge.Special Features:
- It's the perfect place toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2012It's the perfect place to fill up on yummy sushi before dancing it off next door at Temple Club!
- Food was above average butOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/3/2012Food was above average but not overtly amazing. Prices are reasonable. Very cool decor and ambiance. Service was good but timing of delivery for dishes was chaotic. Not a "happening" area/neighborhood on the weekend but still a lively atmosphere inside the restaurant. Meet for drinks at Kate O'Briens across the street prior to dinner.
- Excellent place for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2012Excellent place for lunch. Good ambience, service and food. Staff was extremely friendly.Special Features:
- Ki is Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/18/2012In a word: Outstanding! This was probably our 8th time dining here since discovering this gem about 6 months ago. Their “Real California Roll” is always a delightful surprise and gets reimagined every 3 weeks or so directly corresponding to daily catches and seasonal, organic, locally sourced ingredients. So you are definitely not going to get a boring old, traditional California Roll here. On this visit, we also experienced the “Hollywood Roll” and the Grilled Kampachi from the Specials board. The ultra fresh Kampachi was grilled to perfection! Initially, as described on the board, we weren’t so certain with the “Hollywood Roll”. I love all things young coconut, but I just couldn’t fathom it as a sushi ingredient. Well to our delighSpecial Features:
- The Valentine pre fixe menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012The Valentine pre fixe menu was fantastic! $75 for two, with champagne, and a 4 course meal. The Kurobuta is especially exquisite.Special Features:
- Food: 4 courses fixed ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Food: 4 courses fixed Valentines Day men-what a deal! It was a great way to sample what all that Ki had to offer. My date and I had the 1st course: Seaweed Salad (a little too salty), and tastey mini shooters (too small oyster or clam?) 2nd course "Sustainable" Sashimi was fresh & fabulous and the Pork Belly (a little too gamy for my taste) ,3rd course Dragon Roll great way to ring in the new year (the best Dragon roll ever!) and Kobe Beef w/steamed white rice & Veges was clutch (K.O.'ed my taste buds) 4th course Dark Chocolate Fondu for two a fruit dipping assortment to die for but too much choco left over. Felt wasteful in a sustainable Sushi place (WOW wish we had more fruit!) Service slow at times, great ambiance music.Special Features:
- Friendly, but a bit noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2012Friendly, but a bit noisy. I did enjoy myself and the food was very good.
- A Rain of Cherry-Blossom PetalsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012You *must* try the Geisha Roll! Put it on your bucket list, if nothing else. I told my husband "it tasted like a small Geisha standing in a rain of cherry-blossom petals on my tongue." Just be sure to taste it only with it's own sauce, no soy sauce. Great artwork on the walls, especially the video art. This place reminds me of New York, but better.Special Features:
- A bit expensive but very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2012A bit expensive but very friendly servers. We went there to get free admission to Temple so that part is a great deal.
- Not too noisy - good for havingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2012Not too noisy - good for having conversation with friends. Good happy hour drinks and appetizer.Special Features:
- The sushi roles are very goodRegulardinerVIPDined on 1/4/2012The sushi roles are very good here and there are many different ones from which to chose. I had an early dinner before 6 on a week night and the place was empty.Special Features:
- First DateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2011I went on a first date to this place. Ambiance was very warm and vibrant, staff was friendly and attentive, food was good; however I don't know what happened in the kitchen that they forgot one of our orders but in the end gave the dish to us complimentary. I heard about this place and it was a first for both of us and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- creative, great sushi , fun settingArkayVIPDined on 12/14/2011Brilliant! Freshest fish, and owner says its all sustainable. very creative maki rolls (eg I had one with lime zest setting off amberjack) and all the standards. Hip decor with low volume house music and minor light show. unusual, but turned out to be quite pleasant. Will return and will send friends.Special Features:
- Excellent sustainable sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/3/2011Excellent sustainable sushi It's connected to a nightclub, so super loud, but the food is amazing.Special Features:
- this was a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/2/2011this was a last minute reservation & the restaurant was crowded. we were seated quickly, but the service was slow - most likely because they have a single server who was hustling. i had the bento box with tonkatsu & fried chicken, & the others had kobe beef with spicy tuna rolls. one person requested jalapenos in his roll & that was easily accommodated. the tonkatsu was okay, but the chicken was delish. i really liked their spicy mayonnaise. i get too full to try their desserts, but they sound interesting.Special Features:
- i love the fact they serveOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/23/2011i love the fact they serve sustainable sushi! that said, don't expect to find yellow fin or toro on their menu. the server was very knowledgeable & could recommend sustainable alternatives to some favorites. i had the ramen with spicy tuna roll combo. very yummy sushi. the ramen noodles & pork belly were delish, but the broth was too salty for me. it was a filling meal. i'd definitely return as they serve a number of interesting items.Special Features:
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011Very clean and the dishes were amazing.. Best Filet Mignon I have ever had.. Recommend to all my friends.Special Features:
- A seriously appaling excuseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2011A seriously appaling excuse for sushi/japanese. This was seriously the worst sushi I have ever had in the United States. The service left much to be desired. Somewhat of your typical establishment that attempts to rely on its atmosphere/ambiance to draw clientele in, along with the "hipness" factor of being located within an SF nightclub.
- The food was great and soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2011The food was great and so was the service. I did read on there web page that it was a fixed menu for Sat. night. We went cause that food sounded really good. We got there and it was not offered. So we were a little sad about that. You just had to order off a menu. I'm a very picky eater if I would have seen this menu at first I don't think I would of went, but in the end it was really good.
- Sushi was fine, fresh. GrilledOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/22/2011Sushi was fine, fresh. Grilled hearts had good flavor, grilled gibblets were a weird consistency. I didn't try the rolls so maybe I missed something. Happy hour seems like a good deal. Service was friendly if a bit slow. This place will fill a sushi craving but there's not many menu options and I wouldn't specifically seek it out again.
- Love the sustainable aspectOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2011Love the sustainable aspect to the food! Service was friendly and fast, food was delicious, and the happy hour pricing is a crazy bargain.Special Features:
- Tuna tartar and sashimi wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/27/2011Tuna tartar and sashimi was great! The waiter was so kind and professional. He let us try many kinds if sake before we ordered and was ver pleasant about it. Very helpful staff.Special Features:
- Excellent and unique sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2011Excellent and unique sushi and Japanese foods, friendly service. Great find!Special Features:
- Good food & drinks. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2011Good food & drinks. Excellent service. Only suggestion, improve food delivery timing. Please don't bring every single food item to the table at the same time. Kind of overwhelming. Much better when we ordered food the second time around. It was fun, we'd go back.Special Features:
- Fun! Food and drinks wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2011Fun! Food and drinks were great. Had the oysters and one roll. Stoli Martini's yum! Service could have been better. But random guy put the spotlights down that were right in my face. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent service, great portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/28/2011Excellent service, great portions on their izakaya.Special Features: