KHONG River House
1661 Meridian Ave
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
Southeast AsianPrice: $31 to $50
KHONG River House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.khongriver.com/
- Phone: 3057638147x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday- Sunday: 11am-4:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chef Ricky Sauri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from KHONG River House
The Mekong River, or Khong, as it is referred to by locals, has long served as the central form of connectivity from the Tibetan Plateau down through Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. It brings together the people and their varying cultures while its banks and valleys create one of the world’s most biodiverse and fertile areas. This melding of disparate tastes, ingredients, and techniques has resulted in the bold, complex harmony that is the hallmark of authentic Southeast Asian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
KHONG River House reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)hot spot (41)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (15)great for lunch (14)romantic (13)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Servers, bartender and GM all interact above & beyond w/ patrons to ensure a personal-touch on all selections, and therefore there are no surprises - only delights and a most enjoyable dining (kudos to the chef(s) & drinking experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique ExperienceBen314Dined on 9/19/2014Great food. All of the dishes were well seasoned and beautifully presented. Service by Alexandra was excellent. Tables are too close for intimate dining and the seats are made of wood and are not comfortable.. The noise level got higher and higher as the evening progressed byt the end of the meal it was difficult to converse.Innovative cocktail menu. Interesting decor.Special Features:
- Recommended.CrushedSnailVIPDined on 9/13/201450 Eggs, doing an excellent job with Thai. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- AEF1Dined on 9/12/2014service rushed-we waited 10 minutes for a waiter, and once he arrived did not ask us if wanted drinks, food served lukewarm-clearly premade and minimally warmed upSpecial Features:
- badgwizzVIPDined on 9/7/2014I canme here two years ago. The food was good , interesting and not greasy. I revisited recently. the service was bad and the food no better than you get at a chinese takeout but with a price three times as high. I read the chef left. it is noticeable. given the level of service I think ths manager must have left as well. The waitress apologize d fir tge service but she was nit soery enougg to reduce the bill. I hate cheap apologies. avoid this place.
- Favorite pickWannabcriticDined on 9/6/2014If you're in the mood for something exotic and sophisticated this is the place to go!!! Drunken Noodles are in my top 5 all time favorites from anywhere!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gastrojunkieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Second time dining here... First time was late night feast and this time was late lunch early dinner. Fantastic food! Great suggestions by the waiter; everything so well flavored. Hot & Sour cocktail an interesting choice if you like spicy. Short ribs are yum as is the pork fried rice and shrimp skewer.Special Features:
- Great boozy brunch, service okPeterVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great time with a group of friends. Came for the good food and bottomless drinks-- bloodies, mimosas, etc. Service was very slow but manager came to apologize and help out. Very friendly staff. Cool vibe.Special Features:
- Mediocre Asian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014Not sure what all the fuss is about. Asked for spicey food. Instead had chicken wings which were sweet. Duck was generous but also sweet. Glass noodles were spicey but also meh. Prawns were also bland. Overall, fairly overpriced mediocre Asian food that is expensive by virtue of being on Lincoln road, one of the big tourist areas on South Beach. Others may disagree but if your palate is broad you'll be disappointed.
- DelicioushappypapiDined on 8/30/2014I was recommended here by a friend. We arrived a bit late for our reservation and even though they were busy, they seated us right away. Our server Dana was fantastic, guiding us through the menu, and actually stopped us from ordering too much food. My wife REALLY doesn't like spicy food (her loss) and she recommended some dishes for her limited palate. The short ribs were excellent, and the crispy duck was amazing.Special Features:
- Good tasty foodSyllyPantsDined on 8/26/2014Other than the water server putting her body on me every time she filled the table's water glasses, the place was excellent. Pad thai was perfect. Short rib was excessively fatty.Special Features:
- First disappointment hereDeb9227VIPDined on 8/23/2014Been here many times, but it seems they are resting on their laurels. Short rib appetizer was fatty, chewy and generally inedible. Waitress was smothering and then non-existent. She brought us wrong dish and then disappeared.
- Worst experience ever!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014I went last Saturday with my wife and a friend to this restaurant, when we get there they sat us very fast, the server took at least 5 minutes to greed us and take the order of the drinks. We ask for the Spice menu and they explain to us that only is available Monday to Friday. We decide to stay. When we order the food, we order one appetizer to share and three main dishes. After 25 minutes waiting for the food one of the main dishes that we order came out. We ask for our appetizer and the answer was I don't know about the app. We call the server and with attitude said to us "what is the problem guys". All the food was cold, not even warm. I left an finish my dinner at Citi Hall and having better service and food.....
- StefanoDined on 8/14/2014Decor is vibrant, Food is rich, fantastic, different and very tasty! The French Rose wine we had was very affordable and a great wine!!Special Features:
- Used to be remarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Been to Khong on several occasions previously, but things have declined here. Service was mediocre, rushed. We interrupted the front door greeter on her phone to get seated. Food was authentic, and as described on the menu - most plates were bursting with flavor. Jasmine rice never arrived ... The service and management staff just seem to be stale, maybe tired.
- Great girls night out!GirlfoodieDined on 8/12/2014AMAZING crispy lettuce wraps & dumplings, the ribs are good but too fatty for me, everyone else loved them! They even have a spicy gin cocktail that goes perfectly with the food--such nice flavors!! Donuts at the end were seriously redic!!!! Service was perfect. Fab night!Special Features:
- Good BrunchRealMVIPDined on 8/10/2014Small plates, great quality, drunken noodles too expensive and the portion is small.Special Features:
- The best place to eat asian food !VickyDined on 8/8/2014Amazing food, original and tasty, and winderful waitress called Farah. We will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change not for the BetterMangiabeneVIPDined on 8/7/2014I have dined here many times and the food was always excellent. I hadn't been in 6 months and returned to find a new menu, new chef, and lunch prices much higher. I ordered the shrimp which was was 2 large prawns for $19 at lunch - ridiculous. The shrimp were very plain. The shisito peppers were drowned in a thick gooey sauce. The appetizer noodle wrap was excellent, as were the dougnuts. I was with 3 other people who all thought that their food was fine, but not great anymore. The waiter was really good, but the water woman had not been well trained. The hostess wasn't the most welcoming. The Spice menu, which no one ordered, was strange -a cold salad to start, a cold salad entree, and then sticky rice for dessert. Please change back.
- annoyingly overpricedeavesdropletsVIPDined on 8/3/2014the menu had changed (a lot) since the last time i was here — options were less & prices were outrageous! the waitress greeted us in a tone you'd expect from a greeter at the GAP. the first dish to the table was the lettuce cups — previously a sharable stack of lettuce with a bowl of pork, vegetables, etc. — now reduced to four pieces of iceberg lettuce, each topped with a small bit of topping. i asked if the dish i remembered was still on the menu, to which the waitress replied 'we never had that.' the short ribs were next – great sauce, but only 4 pieces of meat. then the pad thai – a smallish, dry portion for the price. there are so many better restaurants in miami beach now. skip this one.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014Amazing food. Loved the chiang mai chicken and the eggplant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightKarinDMDined on 8/1/2014We went to this place because of its location. Theres a bar/lounge upstairs. The service was excellent, quick and friendly. The only downside is the price. I didnt mind paying $20-40 for my meal, but i was expecting to be wowed. The food is good, but not worth the menu prices. I feel i could get the same quality food in a local vietnamese mom and pop stote. The inside is nice and clean, very stylish but rustic. And they have interesting mixed drinks (beer and bourbon anyone? Surprisingly refreshing). I personally had the minty tamarind iced tea, very good Overall, a good place with good food, but not worth the prices.Special Features:
- excellentshellyDined on 7/31/2014Great find delicious food and wonderful staff. Great place for a large group or a date night night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphere!AlyssasimpsVIPDined on 7/28/2014Went here for the first time with two other people on recommendation and loved the meal! The food is fantastic (had the short rib currey) and a great value for what you're paying (portions are a good size and prices are somewhat reasonable). We all had different cocktails and all were exceptional. Our dinner came out in a short amount of time which was great as well. My only complaint would be our waitress-she seemed new and didn't seem knowledgeable about the menu. Also talked very quiet which was hard to hear with the loud music. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average with high prices.KingVIPDined on 7/28/2014Disappointing and overpriced. The pork rice bowl was good, but the noodle bowl was a letdown. The signature drink was gross and overspiced. Go somewhere else.
- EXCELLENT!Love2EatDined on 7/26/2014Loved this meal! Will definitely go back. Very memorable. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef JerkyDT22Dined on 7/22/2014The beef jerky is rare to see on a menu at a restaurant, but it was delicious and a great appetizer.Special Features:
- Born2EatFoodhighDined on 7/20/2014Cool design, High energy music, Reaching to deliver authentic Asian with American spin on Gin drinks. Knowledgeable and pleasant server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Menu for brunch is ridiculous. You have just a few options....don't go for brunch/lunch
- Nice atmosphere, mediocre foodBOBCDined on 7/18/2014The décor and ambience were very nice. I had the yellow curry- mediocre. My wife had sea bass- $46 and not deboned.Special Features:
- gourmantDined on 7/13/2014Food is exceptional, ambiance desirable ... acoustics could be a bit better to moderate the 60's music and the occasional diner who can't moderate his voice and makes sure everyone in the restaurant is listening.Special Features:
- Great food but....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014We got to restaurant and they wanted to sit us in the back where there was nobody sitting and there were plenty of tables to accomadate two in the front. Second time this has happened to me. The back smells of the bathrooms and not very appetizing. The food was great but they had run out of certain items (it was 7pm).I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointmentDined on 7/9/2014Very disappointing experience; food was just average; very surprised that the food and experience was not better especially when this restaurant has been rated so highly- but not my experience.
- Excellent Asian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Place does a fabulous job of incorporating dishes from various Asian countries. Great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BUT...WendyDined on 7/3/2014the food is not uniformly fantastic. One dish fabulous , one dish ok! There are four side dish choices of vegetables- we love vegetables- two of the four (our first choices) were not available!). The eggplant side dish was, however, fabulous!Special Features:
- Wonderful Food, ambiance and StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014A capsule review: We went to Khong River House to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. It lived up to our already high expectations. Excellent food, great drink selection, liberal portions, and a highly knowledgeable and amiable staff. The ambiance is great as well. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereLiseDined on 6/23/2014The restaurant has wonderful atmosphere and great service. We started with papaya salad which non of us really liked, had sauteed Chinese broccoli which in our opinion had way to much soy sauce but was good. For our entrees my husband had Prawns which he says were just OK nothing really special, I had drunken noodle which I felt was a smaller portion but it was tasty. Our daughter had mussels which most of them were closed which is not a good sign she had to send them back. I will say the server was wonderful and the manager came over to say he was sorry and took off the mussels and gave us free dessert. So all in all it was good but to us not great.
- Amateur service food misrepresentedPhidingDined on 6/20/2014Went with my wife while on vacation. We eat out quite a bit and are not the type of people who often send back or complain about an order unless it's eggregiously wrong. I ordered chicken pad Thai (which is an up charge for the protein). When I got the dish it had only (what appeared to be) tofu in it. I called the server and pointed out they brought it without the chicken. He proceeded to have me look around the dish until I was able to locate the sole piece of chicken in it. Again, not one to complain and certainly not one to ask for bill adjustments but absolutely nothing was done and the final bill came out with the protein up charge. Completely amateur service and a disgrace to charge for what we got.
- Great dinner place. Near Lincoln.TerboniumDined on 6/15/2014One of our favorite places for dinner, but disappointing for brunch. 50 eggs best brunch spot is right down the street at Yard Bird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thai cuisine!DorisVIPDined on 6/14/2014Love the different dishes and the different flavors of the saucesSpecial Features: