250 Harvard Street
Brookline, MA 02446Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://khaosarnboston.com/
- Phone: 6175667200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Khao Sarn
At Khao Sarn, we know Thai Food. Our Chef and owners are Thai and our food is authentically Thai. Made from the freshest ingredients available, our food is simply what we are known for. Our menu is extensive and we offer dishes from all over Thailand. Our mixologists have a plethora of knowledge on wine and cocktails. Some of our specialties include the classic Lychee Martini, Rose Essence Mojito, and a myriad of fruity creations like the velvety Frozen Mango Cabana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Khao Sarn reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Nothing specialNyneveVIPDined on 7/23/2014My friends and I went to Khao Sarn on a wednesday night. The place wasn't busy when we got there at 8 pm, but they still put us in the coldest, darkest area possible. I ordered the crispy chicken pad thai. It was okay, but I've definitely had better although the portions were big. We also ordered the crab rangoon as an appetizer - not worth it. They were thin triangles with a little cream cheese, tasty enough but not what we expected. I'd go back, but definitely do takeout instead.Special Features:
- The following 60 reviews are from the Khao Sarn reviews archive.
- Very good Thai FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/7/2014Consistently good Thai food accompanied by pleasant service in good setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Quiet LunchChucklevDined on 3/5/2014We were looking for a place where we could have a quiet lunch -- in order to have a conversation. This restaurant had good food and a pleasant ambiance. I had a salad with chicken and my friend had a Thai dish -- more exotic than mine -- and we shared a Thai version of flan. I liked this place and will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2014I have had Thai in many cityies and this stacks up well compared to all my prior experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will visit again for sure!LovetodineoutVIPDined on 2/25/2014I ate here during a recent business trip to Brookline. I did the research on Open Table and was anxious to try it. The food was excellent! The service was a little slower than anticipated but it was not excessive at all. It was a Tuesday night and the restaurant was half full. I would recommend the restaurant and would definitely go back again if in town again.Special Features:
- Best Thai since BangkokShazaamDined on 2/25/2014A woman owned business, the owner is native Thai and the food is the best Thai I have had since traveling to Thailand. The flavors were perfect, the spice was appropriate ( and you can ask them to make it super spivey and they will). And the mango sticky rice was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014authentic, creative, outstanding menu. everything we have ever ordered at khao sarn has been delicious and truly impressive. the staff and owners are so friendly and experts on thai cuisine. this is the best thai food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant on New Year's EvegsinvDined on 12/31/2013My companion and I were in Brookline staying over for NYE. The restaurant in the hotel was drab, so I searched on open table and found this Thai place. We got in without a bother. The restaurant was about 90% full. It was well worth the trip! Spring rolls were crisp and fresh-tasting. Beef Rard-Na was absolutely delicious. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/24/2013We had never been to this restaurant before. Decided to try it on Christmas Eve. They were clearly under staffed. They were trying hard, literally running around. We ordered appetizers and 4 entrees. After 45 minutes, they brought the entrees. When we asked about the appetizers, we were told "Oh they'll probably show up soon." Never did. When we paid the bill, we asked to have them taken off. The waitress looked startled, deducted the amount but never apologized. Food was OK but not enough to make up for the service. Again, it might have just been that night but they weren't even completely full.
- Excellent food, well presentedStretchDined on 12/11/2013Convenient Coolidge Corner place to meet for lunch or dinner. Consistently excellent food, reasonably priced, nicely presented. Noise level varies with the size of the crowd, but it is never very too loud. A great neighborhood spot, but worth a trip for some of the best (if not the best) Thai food in the Boston area.Special Features:
- Excellent food. We had a groupRickDined on 10/12/2013Excellent food. We had a group of 9 which they handled easily. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Great place for quiet lunchBuffiehkDined on 10/4/2013Not many people great place for business lunch or catching up with friends. Pretty authentic Thai food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so-soMumsedsoDined on 9/16/2013This was our 2nd visit-the 1st time was great very fresh,very tasty,lots of flavor.This time blah.Server was not helpful & didn't seem interested in finding out answers to questions.We asked if oyster sauce was made w/oysters-she said no-we quickly Googled it & proved her wrong. Maybe we should have done our homework ahead of time, but still - the server should know these things.We asked for 2 orders of spring rolls,then canceled 1,she brought 2. They were mostly rolls of dough w/very little filling.The pan sautéed veggie cake appetizers were mushy/raw in the middle - most of the apps were tasteless but we were starving at this point so we ate. For 4 people the food bill w/ 1 cocktail came to $100 for mostly veggie dishes,&2 chicken dishes.
- Good ThaiJamesDined on 8/2/2013Found this place on Urbanspoon and decided to try it with some friends. It was good, not amazing, but I have no complaints. The dining area is bigger than I expected for the location. The food came out quickly and was very tasty. One of my friends ordered the pineapple something and found a few large chunks of crab meat in the dish which wasn't listed on the menu. I would have considered it a pleasant surprise but he didn't seem pleased. Not sure if he's allergic. Overall a good thai place. We went at 6:45 on a Friday night with a reservation through OpenTable and we were seated right away. It wasn't too crowded. Not the best Thai I've ever had, but I would still recommend it if you're looking for Thai food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Thai foodDebbieVIPDined on 7/21/2013Always get great food at khao sarn. Good service tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Thai worth a visitBostonianVIPDined on 5/28/2013Really enjoyed our dinner. Have tried Thai restaurants all over the place and thought this one scored high. Topped off with Thai Singh Ha beer for $3 bucks made for a nice weekday dinner in Coolidge Corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceBrooklinerVIPDined on 4/27/2013I am not a fan of Thai food, and this experience did not change my mind. We ordered a spicy shrimp and vegetable entree that had very few shrimp but cost almost $16! The wide rice noodle dish was mushy. The app'r portion (chicken satay) was skimpy. I would not go back.
- We've fine here a number ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013We've fine here a number of times. Each time the good has been wonderful. Their Pad Thai and Fish w. V vegetables are consistently greatSpecial Features:
- Lovely Valentines diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Had an excellent dinner on Valentine's Day! Attentive service without being overbearing Delicious food, loved the chicken with mango, and nice size portions. Complimentary Valentine dessert a nice surprise. Soft lighting, low noise level and a rose made for lovely ambience. Very enjoyable dinner!Special Features:
- Great appetisers. Mains courseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013Great appetisers. Mains course wasn't so great. The balance between vegetables and meet in my curry was completely wrong. However, the staff were very friendly and helpful.
- The dishes here are mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013The dishes here are mediocre and they are overpriced. The food tastes good, but they nickle and dime you for everything, including a simple bowl of rice. How do they expect you to eat their dishes sans rice?! Rip off.
- Unimpressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Having predetermined that it was going to be a Thai kind of night, I was excited to find this highly rated restaurant in Brookline. There are actually a few other relatively highly recommended Thai places in the neighborhood, but the others lack dine-in ambiance and I was planning on taking a friend out for a celebratory dinner, so Khao Sarm, with it's better ambiance seemed the perfect spot. I was totally disappointed. Right off the bat I could tell by the menu that this was not Thai food aimed at Thai people, but Thai food aimed at Americans, which although not a crime in and of itself, doesn't really jive with my tastes. The food is totally uninspiring and was not of the best quality. Meh!Special Features:
- Quiet & DelicioussarahGDined on 11/24/2012As usual, the food was great. Two people in my party wanted slight changes to their dishes, both of which were accepted easily and willingly. The Tom Yum Goong soup was super-spicy. The mango chicken curry, although requested mild, had a bit of a kick. Regardless, GREAT food. Also, one person in my party is especially sensitive to noise and has a hard time hearing sometimes. She found Khao Sarn to be unusually quiet even though the whole restaurant was full. Overall, a fantastic meal.
- The food was decent but IDDBostonDined on 11/2/2012The food was decent but I expected the wait staff to be a bit more courteous.Special Features:
- Generally good but Pad Thai,How2Dined on 9/29/2012Generally good but Pad Thai, a signature dish, was overcooked.Special Features:
- Wide noodles cooked beyondOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/29/2012Wide noodles cooked beyond recognition. Peanut chicken dish was watery and tasteless.
- The food here is the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012The food here is the best thia food in Boston hands down. I will be going here for years to come. I reccomend this place to everybody! Love it here!!!Special Features:
- Great food - Service TOO efficientBzimmaDined on 8/15/2012Overall, the food was quiet good although we found the service slightly overbearing despite their efficiency. Within 30 seconds of finishing our food, they were ready to swoop in to take our plates. The cheque came 15 seconds later and then 1 minute later the waitress came to check if we had put payment yet. It made the whole experience feel rushed. I would probably go back though as the food was very good and comparably priced to the other local Thai sitdown restaurant, Zenna.Special Features:
- The food was very tasty, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2012The food was very tasty, and very authentic - very similar to what I've eaten in Thailand. The Som-Tum salad was delicious and presented beautifully. The red curry was good, but the lemon scallops did not taste of lemon to me. They were too gingery in my opinion. On the whole, a delicious meal, and would definitely recommend to a friend. The atmosphere inside was quite plain, but the location was great.
- Excellet food, excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Excellet food, excellent service. We will be back for sure. Servings were very generous. A great find in Bookline!Special Features:
- Khao Sarn is an alternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012Khao Sarn is an alternative to Pho Lemongrass if you live in the Brookline Area. It's like a fine dining restaurant that happens to serve Thai food. I had chicken dumplings and a Pad Thai entree and they were delicious. The Thai iced tea is also tasty. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:
- Thai at its finest. The vibeTopNotch10VIPDined on 4/28/2012Thai at its finest. The vibe is friendly with freshly prepared dishes and a lively bar.Special Features:
- Get the Thai Garden Chicken!sarahGDined on 3/9/2012Having been to Khao Sarn a few times before, I knew that I was going to walk away happy. But this experience may have been my best Thai experience in Boston yet. We ordered vegetable spring rolls and tofu triangles for apps. Both very good. The triangles were unique in that they were almost dry on the outside, and really wet and soft on the inside. The difference in texture was really interesting and the sauce with which it was served was delicious. But the best part of the meal was the entree. We had the Thai Garden Chicken. And it was AMAZING! The sauce was fantastic; we ended up eating more rice at the end of the meal simply because we wanted to have more of the delicious sauce. I highly HIGHLY recommend it. You can't go wrongSpecial Features:
- Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2012always reliable, good, well seasoned fresh food. Well prepared; nice aesthetic
- It was ok, but not very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012It was ok, but not very good. The food was kind of boring and not really spicy or tasty. Service was ok but we had to ask for the waitress 3 times to come over and take our order, but it was Valentine`s day and quite crowded.
- Great time, great meal!YonkersNativeVIPDined on 2/11/2012Our party of six was seated and served promptly. Not a big place but roomy enough for small or large gatherings. The appetizers and entrees were brought out in a timely manner and at the right temperature. Entree portions were more than generous and everyone enjoyed their dish! They cater to your tastes as the food can be prepared from mild to very spicy. You will not be disappointed--it truly is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Good thai food, very fastOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/10/2012Good thai food, very fast service. I'll go back :)
- Khao Sarn has been a qualitybrooklinebabushkaVIPDined on 2/8/2012Khao Sarn has been a quality Thai restaurant since it has opened, the best in the Coolidge Corner area. The food is consistently good, tasty, well presented and the atmosphere is pleasant. I definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- The food comes extremely quickly.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/8/2012The food comes extremely quickly. If you order an app, I recommend ordering the app and then wait until you are almost done with it before ordering your entree. Unless you want things quickly.
- Excellent Thai restaurant in BrooklOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2011Really great experience. I had Pad Thai and my friend had a mango chicken curry, which was really excellent. I would definitely recommend this place. You won't be disappointed.Special Features: