Khan Toke Thai House
5937 Geary Blvd
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Khan Toke Thai House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 4156686654x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm,Saturday-Sunday:12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Khan Toke Thai House
One of the first Thai restaurants in the city as of 1976, this lovely spot in the Outer Richmond continues to be popular for fare that’s tasty and affordable and provides the total Thai experience (please leave your shoes at the door).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Khan Toke Thai House reviews from OpenTable diners
- The worst service ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been going to this neighborhood place for over 20 years and always enjoyed bringing out of town guests. First, it took a half hour just to park, so we dropped off most of our party. When we finally arrived, we found that no one had come to the table during that half hour. Twice I had to get up from our table and try to find a server to take our order and to bring our food, over an hour from when we ordered. When I asked why the delay, I was told ther were several large parties, but the restaurant was not full. The food was good, but after waiting so long the whole experience was spoiled. Adding insult to injury, when the bill came, they had added a service charge, so we could not show our displeasure by leaving a smaller tip!
- AwesomeYumyumDined on 5/25/2014Really cool dining experience! The food was good, pretty authentic Thai cuisine - not like take out Thai food (not that's a good or bad thing, just different). Affordably priced too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could get someone to seat meWegekDined on 4/18/2014I went to Khan Toke on a Friday evening with a reservation for 5 at 8:45PM. When I arrived there was nobody there to greet me, no defined area to check in at, nothing. I finally flagged down a random guy after 5 minutes and he said he'd be right back. Fifteen minutes later, he still had not arrived. A friend in my party overheard another table say, "We've been here for 45 minutes and we still have yet to see our waiter". At that point I decided to leave, after 20 minutes of STILL being greeted. So I marked the food poor accidentally when, in all actuality, I never even got a "hello" from an employee. Same goes for ambiance and noise.
- love this placediner1Dined on 3/2/2014I love this place. Have been coming here for more than 30 years (when they were a little whole in the wall). The staff is gracious and friendly. The food is fantastic. Every time. Really the best Thai in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- bad nightgeorge36VIPDined on 2/14/2014Valentines Day dinner disaster. Took a long wait for the host to appear. Appetizers were fairly prompt and tasty. But that was that. After a 90 minute wait our main courses had not appeared nor was there any word or apology from the staff. Had to get up and find someone to bring the bill. Still no apology. We left hungry and disappointed never to return.
- Still great after all these yearsBobSiefertDined on 12/21/2013I loved this little place for it's ambiance and floor seating back in the 80's, and eventually stopped coming because it was always booked. On a recent trip to San Francisco, I tried it again... and got a reservation on a Saturday night. The buzz may have faded a bit ... but the beautiful little restaurant on Geary is still a gem. The room is romantic and authentically Thai, with carved tables and floor seating with wells under the table for your feet. You leave your shoes at the door so the dining experience is comfortable. The food is still great... wonderful crispy spring rolls and That salad... All the dishes just as I remember them, and the service is delightful. So glad to have rediscovered an old fave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go to Khan Toke often.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2013We go to Khan Toke often. Good food and very lovely proprieters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for a good price.RichmondDinerDined on 11/22/2013My wife and I live in the Richmond and Khan Toke is one of our go-to dinner spots. My wife is strictly gluten free and she's able to eat most of the dishes on the menu. This last time we took friends from Portland who used to live in SF and they specifically asked to go to Khan Toke. We had a great time with good friends and good food in a very comfortable atmosphere. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't accept reservationsChristinkaDined on 10/5/2013We had a reservation but when we went to the restaurant they had no idea about having reservations and therefore it wasn't honored.
- Empty - not a good signGordonVIPDined on 10/3/2013We were the only family to dine at the height of the dinner hour. Service was very attentive, however the food left something to be desired. Not a good place to take children. The management appeared unwelcoming to the little ones.
- Really good foodchompchompDined on 9/28/2013I have been here two times and each time has been great. love the experience of sitting near the ground with shoes off. place is near where I live it giving it +++ You have to try this place at least once! Great, good tasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere - Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/21/2013The food here is really delicious. They have the best beef Panang I've had in a while. Great, fresh tasty dishes with lots of fresh veggies and fruits. Really cool atmosphere. Beautiful rooms and decor and I love sitting down in the pits.Special Features:
- Khan Toke is our benmarkBillDined on 8/13/2013We have been going to this little Restaurant Gem since 1988 and it never fails to delight. When vacationing in San Francisco, Khan Toke is a must for my family. The decor and ambiance is wonderful and makes the experience just a little more authentic. They deliver the BEST tasting Thai food. This time we had - the Lamb of Siam, Pad Thai, Panang Curry, Pad Sieu and the Bangkok Prawns. All 5 dishes were fantastic with deep, rich, and complex flavors! Both Noodle dishes were much more flavorful than most Thai noodle dishes tend to be and the Lamb of Siam was something different when compared to most Thai restaurant menus. We eat a lot of good Thai food and in summary - Khan Toke sets the benchmark for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai at its bestFranDined on 7/23/2013love the decor, love the food, love the service. been going there for 28 years. it just changed ownership so I am hoping the new owner will keep much of the offerings. I love this placeSpecial Features:
- Great find in the Richmond!BillHVIPDined on 6/8/2013Amazing food, great service, excellent ambiance. Take your shoes off an transport yourself for a bit to Thailand, indulge in hands down some of the best Thai I've had in San Francisco. Beautiful interior and just so much fun sitting in their booths soaking up the atmosphere. We ordered family style to try a few different things and not a crumb was left. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/9/2013Unique setting at an established Thai restaurant. Shoes are removed prior to dining. Food is better than average in SF with some dishes not found at other places. Try the Special Chef Selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night with old friendsDawnsieDined on 5/5/2013We had some old friends coming into town and got a group together for dinner. I wanted to pick a spot where we could have a large group comfortably and all talk to each other and still enjoy a great meal. Khan Toke was the perfect choice. Also very fun with a large group because we got to order about 18 different dishes and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Very traditional Thai restaurant.KristenDined on 4/16/2013Very traditional Thai restaurant. You sit on the floor and your legs hang into a boxy space cut into the floor below the table. Our waitress wore a formal lacy dress. Food was great. We had the eggplant side dish, green curry, and something akin to chicken kabobs. The eggplant may have been my favorite.My only complaint was that, because we had to take our shoes off upon entering, my feet got cold over the course of our meal! I recommend wearing warm socks if your feet get cold easily too.