1690 Queen St. West
Toronto, ON M6R 1B3Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.keriwacafe.ca/
- Phone: 4165332552
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Aaron Joseph Bear Robe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Keriwa Cafe
Welcome to Keriwa Cafe, Chef Aaron Joseph Bear Robe's highly anticipated new restaurant. Located in Parkdale, Keriwa Cafe supports local farms using sustainable, organic ingredients. The frequent menu changes reflect Keriwa Cafe's mandate to use only the finest seasonal ingredients while utilizing classical cooking techniques with Aboriginal influences. A casual dining atmosphere with high quality food and fine service define Keriwa Cafe. For more information please visit www.keriwacafe.caContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Keriwa Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
- A Gem in ParkdalethornhillfoodieDined on 7/6/2013Very eclectic menu. Each dish we had was delicious, creative and beautifully presented. Quite enjoyed the Sea Buckthorn Martini! That being said, we would have liked more variety on the wine menu especially by the glass. Desserts were a great ending to a wonderful meal. Our servers were very attentive and extremely congenial. Great ambience but a little noisy on the evening we were there. We will most defiinitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favourite placeMarnormianDined on 7/6/2013Having eaten in great restaurants all over Canada, this is in the top two. Inspired, beautifully prepared local food that is impossible to forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service much fasterChicaritaDined on 7/5/2013After having with my husband a way-to-long experience at this restaurant, I decided to give it another chance, this time with my sister. The first time I went there the food was amazing but, they were having the longest waiting times between courses I've ever encountered. It was ridiculously long; spent there almost three hours, so after finishing dinner, we didn't want to hear anything about dessert. But last friday, timing between each course was very fast, leading to a way much better experience. I would recommend this restaurant, but still with a word of caution about what could happen. Hopefully they will keep a nice pace as they kept it this last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get your act togetherLitaDined on 7/3/2013Food was delicious, inventive, beautifully presented. Wine list is very limited and overpriced. BUT service was atrocious -- took over an hour to get an appetizer and the restaurant was practically empty. Servers were nice but aloof and no explanation for the long wait. Forget about an apology. Seemed that the wait is normal. Personally wouldn't wait around again.Special Features:
- Amazing Food and Unique ConceptrapoirierDined on 7/3/2013Amazing food. Loved the concept. First Nations-inspired, sustainable and local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change of paceMauligirlVIPDined on 7/2/2013The food was very inventive without being crazy. It was a very nice fusion of foods that are native to Canada with an international twist. The venison merguez sausage was the star but the house made red fife pasta with a shredded pork, cinnamon and chanterelle mushrooms was also very delicious with a great balance between salty and sweet from the cinnamon. The wine is is very disappointing. There are only 6-7 each of red and white, all from Niagara and they were out of at least one of the reds. Also unnecessarily pricey for mediocre Ontario wines. Service was friendly but not particularly attentive and a bit slow. In the end the food was a nice change of pace but the overall experience was not enough to make me want to go back.Special Features:
- unusual menu, wonderful tasteeatoutDined on 6/29/2013four of us, one a professional chef, had a reunion dinner at the suggestion of a friend. We loved the food. Almost all local, all imaginative and wonderfully tasty, and reasonably priced. I would go back in a flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentComputersizmeDined on 6/27/2013We had another great dinner experience, exceptional food. Thx. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Layers of FlavourcapegirardeauVIPDined on 6/18/2013Creative small, distinctive menu. One of the best meals we've had. A la minute prep means dinner takes time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste explosion!fashionplannerDined on 6/15/2013Every sip of our drinks and every bite of our food warranted a flavour explosion! Loved everything about this restaurant. We went on a lot of the servers recommendations and she did not steer us wrong. Thanks for the memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavoursOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013All menu items were a complex combination flavours - making each dish interesting and ultimately delicious. Amazing pairing of flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Normally fantastic, this timeRicoDined on 6/8/2013Normally fantastic, this time we waited close to an hour for our appetizers (which may have been appropriate if they weren't simple, such as a cheese plate). We were told someone had quit that day and they were understaffed, which happens, but some warning in advance might have been nice. In the end they paid for our mains, which was appropriate compensation. The food was, as always, incredible, so likely just a glitch in the workings of a normally fantastic place to dine.Special Features:
- Really wonderful food withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2013Really wonderful food with lovely flavour combinations that I've never tried before and would love to try again. The mussels with venison was a particular standout in a delicious overall meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All kinds of new flavours!itsgeorgieDined on 6/7/2013We've been meaning to go here since it opened and we finally had a chance to stop in. The oysters & lamb sausage that we started with were awesome! They have great beer and wine options too. For the mains I must say although everything was good, there were almost too many flavors in each plate! The bison burger and the pork belly both fall under this category. A lot of flavors that I had never tried before (and I'm not a rookie foodie!) The sides we ordered were an asparagus dish and a morel dish that were both super tasty. We had a really good, adventurous dinner but might not be back until we have guests in town that are looking to try something unique. Fair value paid for what we ate & drank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative foodQueenmaxDined on 6/7/2013I enjoyed the creativity and the honesty of the food at this restaurant. The chef is aware of details and is obviously a virtuoso of the kitchen. I wish him a long and successful career.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance - small portionsBiggsDined on 6/1/2013Food was tasty, but the portions were ridiculously small. Inexpensive fiddle heads over charged for tiny portion and peanut serving the same. Sorry, but $200 for four persons was way too much for such small amount of food. Otherwise, it did taste good and the service was polite and attentive.Special Features:
- Extreme localOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2013True to aboriginal traditions, every part of Keriwa's menu (from cocktails to main courses and desserts) was based on the imaginative use of truly local foods. The menu is inventive and the food was beautifully prepared. I've never eaten buckthorn or stinging nettle, let alone in so many courses of the same meal, but I sure got revenge for that time I walked through nettles accidentally. Could call the decor and atmosphere 'rustic bistro.' The service was friendly but so laid back (aka slow) that it felt as though we should have ordered, left, and come back later. But laid back is much better than high strung or rushed (and maybe it depends on the day). Overall, Keriwa seems very competent and inspired, though modest (in a good way).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ArtistryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2013Master at balancing flavours & textures with an eye to presentation too. Never at the expense of taste...all is fabulous. We tried 11 dishes & each was a standout. Service was efficient, water jug maintained full without reminding, and prompt removal of empty dishes. A very successful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and boldMikaBVIPDined on 5/28/2013Restaurants with a reputation for having an innovative menus and dining approaches can be self important and unapproachable for the diner that occasionally likes to step out of their comfort zone. This was not at all true of Keriwa. The service and attitude of everyone at this restaurant was terrific -- they were generous with information about the ingredients and preparation, and very attentive to our dining experience. We had the pork belly and cheese appetizers, followed by the pork tagiatelle and braised short ribs. All of the plates were incredibly flavourful -- very rich in earthy aromas. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant. The service was exceptional and everything we had was carefully prepared and thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Canadian FoodpeabersDined on 5/25/2013We visited Keriwa Cafe based on a recommendation for food that represented Canada. We ordered two apps (fresh oysters from NB, confit pork belly), one veg (fiddleheads), and two mains (smoked hen, bison shortrib). The food was excellent, fresh and expertly prepared. Chef Aaron Joseph Bear Robe's experience in balancing flavours shows. One blemish on the whole night was the service. Albeit with reservation and an empty restaurant at 6pm, we felt rushed through the meal. My partner's dishes were busted as soon as her fork returned to the plate, I had not finished mine. She told us about the dessert before I finished my main. And the bill showed up unprompted. When we left, there were empty tables and nobody waiting for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serice but worth the wait!DiggsDined on 5/11/2013Service was very friendly and knowledgable but it look an excruciatingly long time for our food to arrive. But once it came we forgot about the wait and enjoyed some of the most innovative and beautiful food. Great use of locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. Stinging nettle soup and the whitefish were outstandting! Our waitress was very appologetic about the slow pace and offered us a complimentary glass of wine. Would detinitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Keriwa CafeFoodfunDined on 5/11/2013The menu is very different and the flavours of each dish are too. Very creative use of unusual ingredients. Especially loved the venison and pork belly "snacks" . Costs are on the high end but well worth it because of the food! The only exception is the cheese plate - 3 very small pieces of cheese for $30 is a bit too high!!! Service was very friendly, knowledgeable and good, ambience is quite pleasant - very comfortable seating. A lovely neighbourhood restaurant for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2013Great parkdale addition. Food was spectacular and rich. Just don't come too hungry and check the menu because there several sides to share, but only four mains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KeriwaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2013Great vibe, service and, most importantly, food. One of the best spots in town in terms of the all-around experience. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So many unique and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2013So many unique and delicious flavours and gorgeous presentation as well. A true delight and a wonderful experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keriwa- Canadiana done right!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013This was our second visit to Keriwa, and the food doesn't disappoint. From the most to least adventurous in our group of five, each one was able to find something on the menu. We ordered a round of starters - stewed peanuts, a cheese plate, pork belly, and oysters. Everything was lovely. For our mains, we had the hen, bison shortribs, duck breast and duck tagliatelle. The sauces served with everything were absolutely flawless, and each meal was cooked perfectly. I would rate this restaurant as outstanding, with one exception - the service. Although our server was friendly, he was forgetful, (a beer took 20 minutes) and did not check up on us very often, resulting in the restaurant losing perhaps another round or two of drinks for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A year after the hype2bulldogsVIPDined on 5/3/2013We visited this restaurant because of their 2012 rating. The food was good, interesting and enjoyable. The service however, was lacking and our server was quite distracted. We waited for water and cocktail refills several times. The vibe was fun and overall feel was upbeat. Not sure we'd go back but it was worth a taste.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keriwa cafediscerninggreedDined on 5/3/2013Such a shame that the exceptional food, excellent service, charming ambience are all ruined for us by the deafening noise level. An exhausting frustrating evening shouting at each other and still barely hearing -- over SUCH brilliant food Hershel RussellSpecial Features:
- One of the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2013All of us at my table thought it was the best meal we've had in years!Special Features:
- The restaurant has a warmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013The restaurant has a warm lively atmosphere, understated architectural -- teaks, warm wood, cozy lighting. Definite stop for foodies -- meals exquisitely prepared, lots of local sourcing, unusual and delightful combinations -- there were four of us, we all ordered something different and every dish was outstanding -- well worth the visit!Special Features:
- Food was great; however theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2013Food was great; however the service was very slow, it took 40 minutes to get our mains after finishing our apps over an hour from ordering. They also were very disorganized between the front of the house and the kitchen; we ordered one of the specials as our appetizer and then were told afterwards that it wasn't ready. The icing on the cake was when we tried to order dessert and were told that our table turned over in 15 minutes so would have to eat it at the bar even though it was the restaurant's fault for the slow service. It's truly disappointing that the service was so poor as the food was excellent and I would have happily returned for a second visit if the service had been even marginally better.Special Features:
- This was our first time.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013This was our first time. The food was great.Even with small portions, we found it very satisfying and did not walk out stuffed.Great finding an organic-locally grown food.Special Features:
- Food quantity : very small,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Food quantity : very small, quality : so so, consider expensive and doesn't live up to expectation. Online menu outdated, especially related to the price.
- Great food, horrible service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Great food, horrible service. We had to wait 25 mins for just our drinks to arrive.Special Features:
- Excellent quality and a trueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013Excellent quality and a true experience for foodie's. great menu for sharing, but a limited wine list. All in all, a must visit !Special Features:
- solid, not inspired or interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013The food for us was very good, but not inspired. Everything was solid, but I found none of it very creative. I would have liked to have had something that stood out as new or interesting. Plus, the wine list (with the exception of a few Tawse non-by-the-glass options) was poor. We had two appetizers, one vegetable, two entrees and one dessert, so I feel like we tried enough to get the feel. We were really looking forward to the experience as we had brunch at Keriwa once and found it to be fantastic - great bold flavors along with interesting dishes we had not had before. Thus dinner was a let down even though nothing was bad or even sub par (except the peanut dish, which was on the edge of bad and confusing).
- Our service experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Our service experience was less than charming for some reason. I'm hoping it was just an off-night for them. BUT this was more than made up for by the food which was absolutely DIVINE! Everything we had from the parsnip soup to the sunchoke salad, bison, trout and duck parpadelle was outstanding. I had the apple crumble for dessert which somehow encompassed marshmallow which I would normally stay well away from, but I had this feeling the chef would make it delicious, and it was.Special Features:
- Food was overpriced and mehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Food was overpriced and meh at best. Our party of 4 ordered many dishes and though none were bad, none were great either. Portions for many dishes were absolutely minuscule...the cheese plate was especially ludicrous. Literally 3 teeny tiny nuggets of cheese for almost $20. Thought they made a mistake on the bill until we re-read the menu and saw that the charge is $10/oz. Our main server was incredibly aloof...clearly a person who disliked being there. That made 5 of us by the end of the night.
- Definitely a foodie place,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Definitely a foodie place, designed around small plates to share in the tastings. Some of the notable items were the peanuts with kale, the beets with ricotta, oysters with fresh horseradish, and the bison short ribs. Wonderful room, although I was a bit disappointed that we did not get a table by the birch bark. An exceptionally clean restaurant -- floors, tables, washrooms -- care in every aspect of the restaurant operation. The wait staff are very competent and we chose the Cabernet Franc from Peninsula Ridge, which was outstanding. A bit pricey with the markup, but outstanding. A special occasion place, and a great place to take visitors especially Germans who would appreciate the Canadiana aspect of the room and foodSpecial Features:
- Everything was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2013Everything was absolutely fabulous. We tried the tasting menu and loved the food - extremely creative and tasty. Each course was better than the last.Special Features: