533 East Hopkins Avenue
Aspen, CO 81611Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kenichirestaurants.com/
- Phone: 9709202212x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Peter Coyne & Kiyomi Sano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From a casual cocktail party to a formal wedding , Kenichi offers an unparalleled catering experience. Let our superior staff make your occasion unforgettable. our master sushi chef, Kiyomi Sano, welcomes the opportunity to create a spectacular, tailor-made menu for your special function. Not only does our catering team compliment a private party at your home, we can also work in conjunction with your favorite hotel or lodge, providing a sushi bar for the cocktail hour or preparing and serving the entire meal. Have our custom-built sushi bar and artfully presented food, enhance your event.
- Private Party Facilities: Kenichi Aspen offers a private tatami room that seats 12-14 people. We also have two rockstar booths for semi-private dining up to 5 people. At Kenichi our large dining room allows us to accommodate larger parties, please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Christian Henrichon 970-920-2212x
- Special Events: Mountain Rescue Aspen Benefit, Open to the public! 50% off benefit for Mountain Rescue Aspen, make a donation to Mountain Rescue and received 50% off your entire bill at Kenichi, Wednesday June 18th. No reservations please, first come first serve, open at 5:00. Kanpai!
A word from Kenichi Aspen
Thank you for visiting Kenichi, Aspen"s premier contemporary Asian cuisine and world class sushi. Known for its exciting sushi bar, bustling dining room, hip bar scene and Asian Martinis. Locals' favorites include Dynamite Shrimp, Blackened Tuna, Broiled Marinated Black Cod, and Wild Salmon Sashimi with Goat Cheese and Red Onion Vinaigrette. Enjoy our Private "Rock Star" booths and Aspens only Private Tatami room for larger parties. Treat your pallet to our extensive wine list and allow our staff to pair our exquisite cuisine with one of the largest sake lists in the country.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kenichi Aspen reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Always deliciousCCDINERVIPDined on 7/12/2014Our favorite in Aspen, from the wonderful sake list to the tito's Colorado mule to the dynamite shrimp, baby back ribs and more. It gets very noisy later in the evening, but 7:00 is perfect for 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to beBrianVIPDined on 6/20/2014We've been to Kenichi several times and really enjoyed it but this time was not good. The sushi was ok, but kitchen items were really slow and my friend's steak was so salty it was inedible. In addition, they charged $4 for soft drink refills which is inexcusable in a high end restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Birthday DinnerSkiProfessionalDined on 5/25/2014My wife and I have a 3 year old and a 3 week old. Needless to say we had not been out in a while. Kenichi's was a perfect romantic getaway. Even if it was only for a few hours. We were pampered. The special desert was wonderfully funny and amazingly to eat.Special Features:
- Not worth the $chipeta555Dined on 5/17/2014For the amount of money, the food was nothing special. We have sushi in Grand Junction that tastes better and is presented better. Will not go back.Special Features:
- This place is aweful!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2014The worst dining experience I've ever had. Beyond rude, sushi is nothing special and did I mention the staff is rude! Go to takah sushi instead!
- The following 123 reviews are from the Kenichi Aspen reviews archive.
- Delicious!SJKRVIPDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentines Day and, as usual, the food was delicious. Every bite of sushi melted in your mouth and the flavor combinations are terrific!!!!Special Features:
- Arigato!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/22/2014Fantastic. I loved the liberating feeling of this high end party atmosphere. Birthday? They give you a penis shaped cake. The head chef comes out to deliver it to you. They have a real Japanese chef. This place is far better than Matsuhitsa.Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencewannaeatDined on 1/1/2014Granted it was a holiday week with much hustle and bustle, it was still no excuse for the poor quality sushi and terrible dining experience. The sake selection left much to be desired, especially for those of us with experienced and sophisticated palates. The sashimi orders were tiny slivers/shavings of something that resembled fish. Nigiri was served on what appeared to be and tasted like old rice and the rolls were uncreative and non-generous (i.e. chinsy) portions of fish. Some of our group had recently been to Takah Sushi and had a vastly different experience--appropriate portions, delicious, fun and creative dining experience. If you want sushi in Aspen, go to Takah!
- Tasteful on all levelsYumYumDined on 12/26/2013Dining at Kenichi's is an experience in sensory application. The main reason we were at Kenichi's was because they serve Kobe Beef on the Hot Rock (my daughter's favorite). This particular dish, along with the various other small plates we sampled more than satisfied our palates. Each dish was exquisitely prepared with attention paid to presentation and taste. The blending of flavors, even on the small plates was stimulating to the senses. THe Kobe Beef could be smelled across the table as it was seared on the hot rock. Our waitress was very attentive and the service was impeccable. Overall, an extremely enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewBruceDined on 12/25/2013Great restaurant. Parking sometimes a problem. Definitely on the expensive side for AspenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice japanese fusionhobbyjalan2Dined on 12/23/2013restaurant nicely decorated. server was very knowledgeable, gives good recommendation & attentive. food was nicely presented and very tasty. will definitely come back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in Aspen @ Christmas!MikeVIPDined on 12/21/2013Hostess gave away our 8:15 revs seated finally after asking at 9:15 waiter had very bad breath and an attitude like we had complained about him. Food was not up to head sushi chefs usual skill. Very, very disappointed. The sashimi was good but everything else was really not very good. What happened to this place? Manager seemed out of touch. Something is wrong with this place. Vibe is not good - hostess barely spoke English - waiter was fake nice and rather hostel - will never return and further recommend others don't. I think perhaps they cannot handle many clients and need to downsize their scheduled reservations.
- Amazing as usualSJKRVIPDined on 11/20/2013Terrific food and wonderful service. They know how to treat you well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kenichi Off seasonDoovisDined on 9/27/2013Food took a long time to come, one dinner came 20 minutes before all the others - the service here has deteriorated, it used to be better. The food was ok when it got there.
- Great PlaceAlimentariDined on 9/23/2013This restuarant was recommended to us by locals. The service was outstanding from the moment we walked in. The sushi was outstanding-highlyrecommend the cod appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysJanGDined on 8/3/2013We have been to kenichi many times with a large group and it was wonderful as always. Delicious food and great service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the second time I'veJ234Dined on 7/27/2013This is the second time I've been to Kenichi. You will pay more than you do at most of the other sushi places in Aspen but for selections, service, ambiance, quality it is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This continues to be a consistentNoonchVIPDined on 7/26/2013This continues to be a consistent highlight of our stay in Aspen. The menu, quality of food and ambiance are as good as it gets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love KenichiCCDINERVIPDined on 7/18/2013We come here often..it is always delicious. We are not sushi eaters, but love Asianfood and Kenichi has wonderful choices; especially the dynamite shrimp, crusted tuna w/ avocado and ginger and the salmon,tuna tartare. Fabulous cocktails and sake...am crushing on the Texas mule in copper cup this season. Will be back again later this week! Btw, Kenichi participates on OpenTable and does not block out the coveted 7:00-8:30 time frame, as other Aspen " hot spots" do.Special Features:
- Wow........ 10 year anniversary dinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2013Loved this new aspen restaurant. Attentive staff, fantastic sushi bar, clean food, great sake menu. We really enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone in town or coming in :). Thank you so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.Wineluv3VIPDined on 7/11/2013Another great Kenichi experience. Loved the kobe beef hot rock, oysters, and yellowtail. Great house sake. The key to excellent service is to dine when they're not crazy-busy. Cool ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly slow and poor servicesusiDined on 7/6/2013After reading a lot of excellent reviews about the restaurant I was displeasingly surprised to find out how bad the service was. We waited very long for the food, although the restaurant was not super busy and I heard the other tables next to us also complain about forgotton drinks etc. The food was OK, but not high end and our party of three didn`t get the ordered food at the same time, so some of us had to wait and watch the others eat. But the worst was, that they charged us an additional and copletely different bottle of wine for 75 Dollars that we didn`t order or drank! And then we only got a petty "sorry" from the waiter! For a "high class" restaurant this is a no-go!Special Features:
- I love coming to Kenichi forAnitaDined on 7/6/2013I love coming to Kenichi for so many reasons! Great food and service, good selection of both; Sashimi and Sushi. Too bad they don't have the vanilla and rose flavored Mochis anymore tho.Special Features:
- Nothing about this restaurantJayTeeVIPDined on 7/5/2013Nothing about this restaurant feels like Aspen (other than the generally high quality of the food). The place had too many large groups, including a group in the "private" room whose blasting music distracted from the evening. The food was good, with the regular menu items better than the specials -- but the kitchen was backed up and last minute additions to our order never made it to the table. The baby back rib appetizer, however, makes this place worth it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grocery Store SushiSunlvrDined on 7/5/2013I was shocked by the quality of the sushi rolls here--one step above grocery store sushi. Sashimi was fine but just overall not impressed with the food. Waitstaff was flaky. Would not return.
- Great SushiiheartfoodVIPDined on 7/3/2013Another Aspen place hidden underground ... You walk down the stairs, open the door and it's roaring with energy!! The food was tremendous! Small portions, but delightful! We almost went back the next night for dinner! The service was excellent even though they were so busy. They regularly tended to our table and food came out really quick. Loved it, a must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was late for the reservationphillynladudeVIPDined on 6/15/2013was late for the reservation and was seated at the bar, no problem. However, server took about 10 minutes to come by. Her recommendations were the best sellers I guess and nothing was good. Food took forever, guests next to us were in the same boat. There was nothing memorable and the food was expensive for what you get.
- Late night dining.LVdinerDined on 5/11/2013The food was excellent, the waitress was very profesional, friendly, energetic and informational. Her recommendations were on point. The roll were abit small but excellent taste. Great atmosphere, I will definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic! Great server, stillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2013Fantastic! Great server, still dreaming about food!Special Features:
- The Best Sushi in Aspen!HauteCuisineVIPDined on 3/14/2013Greg Jefferson and his staff make dining at Kenichi Aspen a fantastic experience every time. The Sirano Yellow-Tail is delicious and the fresh wasabi is an added treat. Ask for a Rock-Star booth if you have a small party and want a little privacy. The original Kenichi still leads the way.Special Features:
- The First and the Best in Aspen!HauteCuisineVIPDined on 3/12/2013Greg Jefferson and his staff make dining at Kenichi Aspen a fantastic experience every time. The Sirano Yellow-Tail is delicious and the fresh wasabi is an added treat. Ask for a Rock-Star booth if you have a small party and want a little privacy. The original Kenichi still leads the way.Special Features:
- I have always enjoyed KenichifoodiedudieVIPDined on 2/13/2013I have always enjoyed Kenichi but this time there were a lot of misses. The hot rock scallops were an expensive gimmick: they bring you tiny slices of raw scallop and you have figure out how to cook on rock and use sauce. It was awful and partly because no one explained to us that we would be the cooks...we expected to be served sizzling, plump whole scallops that the kitchen prepared for us. Shame on you waiter, a kindly Aussie. Oh and the steamed veggies were a couple slices of butternut squash and a floret or two of broccoli. A Japanese restaurant can be more creative than that. Spicy edamame are always tasty and the ahi appetizer was delicious.Special Features:
- Xgame food and saki extravaganza!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/26/2013We ate there during the X-Games- wow and crazy!! Food was still great and the evening was energetic and highly entertaining.Special Features:
- exceptional, as always. perhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/23/2013exceptional, as always. perhaps my favorite Japanese restaurant in the country.
- We always love Kenechi....forSfpdoddVIPDined on 1/3/2013We always love Kenechi....for the 18 years I've been coming to aspen!!!Special Features:
- Kenichi offers creative JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/23/2012Kenichi offers creative Japanese food prepared to very high standards. It is always reliable and friendly, even in the difficult Aspen Christmas week.Special Features:
- Very expensive and small portions,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2012Very expensive and small portions, but everything was delicious. Our bill for four people was over $400.00 and that was minimal alcohol.
- It's been a few months sinceWineluv3VIPDined on 10/8/2012It's been a few months since we've last been to Kenichi and the food was better than we remembered it. We especially enjoyed the Dynamite Shrimp and Wagyu Beef Hot Rock. Service was great and the atmosphere was cool.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed the restaurantSunSettersDined on 9/20/2012We very much enjoyed the restaurant and will be back on our next visit to Aspen. The lobster roll was very tasty. Our server was friendly and made our time enjoyable.
- A must try in AspenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2012Outstanding sushi! We were fortunate enough to be seated at the "rockstar" booth while celebrating our anniversary. The service and environment were wonderful!Special Features: