Kendall College Dining Room
900 N. North Branch Street
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Kendall College Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kendall.edu/diningroom
- Phone: 3127522328x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Service - Monday - Friday 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
January 9 - January 22*
January 27 - February 10
February 13 - February 26
March 3 - March 17
Dinner Service - Tuesday - Friday 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm, Saturday 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
January 10 - February 8
February 13 - March 15
Monday Night Dining Series
*The college will be closed on January 20, 2014 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Kendall College Events offers brand new, state-of-the-art facilities with spectacular skyline views for a variety of events. Venues available on the Riverworks campus can accommodate your needs from business. meetings to cocktail receptions. When coupled with the exceptional quality of the cuisine prepared in Kendall's renowned kitchens, Kendall College Events is the obvious choice for your next corporate fundraiser, family gathering, or other unique celebration. Private events menus may be obtained here.
- Private Party Contact: Joseph Monastero 3127522556x
- Entertainment: Guests of The Dining Room at Kendall College are now treated to a new dining experience, where only a glass partition will separate them from the kitchen where their food is being prepared!
A word from Kendall College Dining Room
Kendall College Dining Room is an extraordinary classroom that provides students with the opportunity to gain real-world experience in a student run fine dining restaurant under the supervision of Kendall's experienced instructors. Thanks to an outstanding faculty and dedicated students, Kendall College produces the finest talent in the hospitality and culinary fields in the Midwest. The Dining Room offers guests an amazing view of the Chicago skyline, multi-course meals at very reasonable prices, and ample parking. Come dine with the students before they become famous. The Dining Room at Kendall College is first and only culinary school restaurant included in MICHELIN Guide Chicago 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Kendall College Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Goose Island ›
Kendall College Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (63)special occasion (49)good for groups (35)great for lunch (32)scenic view (31)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (23)notable wine list (11)hot spot (4)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- MellomurphMellomurphDined on 10/20/2014The food was excellent. The Monday night program where the cooking is done by the Kendall students is a delightful experience. The opportunity to interact with the students is fascinating and the Q & A at the close of the evening is unique. Great fun and a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendall Chicago's Best Kept SecretTVTomVIPDined on 10/18/2014You must check this place out if you haven't already. Just great in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendall College Dining RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014We had a wonderful three course tasting menu. Service was good some of the students were nervous at the beginning of the dinner. As the dinner progressed they all kicked in to gear and did a good job and great wine service. servers were enthusiastic and engaging it was a very enjoyable evening at Kendall.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is run by students of the culinary school. This is a bargain in a very expensive city. Walking distance from a Metro station. The night we were there they had 50% off any wine. Our dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine, appetizer, main meal and desert and tip came to $113. Tables were well spaced so you were not listening to other peoples conversations. Service was a little inexperienced with 2 people taking care of our table and not quite enough coordination. However it was very friendly and everything arrived as ordered. Our wine glasses and water were refilled as needed. I highly recommend this restaurant. At the price it can be more than a special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended!ALIinCHICAGODined on 10/13/2014This was my first time here and I wasn't quite sure what to expect but the food was fantastic! Even though it was the "staffs" first night serving, overall they did an excellent job. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Another great mealAlibearDined on 10/10/2014This was our second time dining here and it was just as good as the first time. Food is outstanding. They provide small specials in between courses and these were excellent as well. Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet for LessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Five of us enjoyed lunch at Kendall Dining Room. The presentation of the food was excellent as was the taste. The pumpkin cheesecake was so yummy and it was great that it was a small piece. The students were all learning to be servers and that was obvious but they will improve with time.Special Features:
- Always a Great MealWhiteOakDined on 10/9/2014We've been eating at the Kendall College dining room at least once a year since it was in Evanston -- which was a long time ago now. I'm glad they moved the kitchen so it's in view of the dining room. I had missed that in the first few years in Chicago. The students do an excellent job preparing and serving the meal. The artic char was very good. The lamb was properly cooked. The squash soup appetizer was tasty. Tgeh apple spice cake was delightful and just the right touch for a fall meal. Also, it wasn't overly sweet. The only negative was that the appetizer and the lamb came to the table cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get GoingNancyDined on 10/8/2014To Kendall College Dining Room for lunch. The food is fabulous, the service is very good considering the servers are all culinary students, and the prix fixe lunch (3 courses) is $18; with a glass of house wine $22. What's not to rave about?Special Features:
- chicago top chef experienceirishfoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014Our group had a wonderful evening at Kendall. The staff was delightful and food beautifully prepared. Our experience of 3 courses was plentiful for an incredible value. We shared entrée and desserts, so that we could taste everything. Our favorites were the scallops, rack of lamb with an incredible apple chutney and beef shoulder tender and tasty. Flavors were good in all dishes - but as a foodie, I would suggest to the chefs to go bolder, as in the lamb dish. Desserts were beautiful in presentation and good in taste...but again not amazing. The highlight of the night were the yogurt spears! A surprise that made our experience - unforgettable and so much fun!! We would vote 3 forks and would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grateful for the tiptablefor2Dined on 10/6/2014We are grateful a former Kendall student recommended The Dining Room. The food was delicious and watching the students prepare and serve the meal was a treat. And tax-deductible tips goes to their scholarship program. Easy access via public transportation. Our lunch at The Dining Room was a highlight on our first trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Wondeful ExperiencePutFoodHereVIPDined on 10/6/2014Went with my Mom for their pre-fixed lunch and we walked out completely satisfied and were already talking about coming back shortly since there were so many things on their seasonal menu that we wanted to try before it was gone. It was like dining at a 5-star restaurant with the presentation, food choices, and service, but with 2-star prices and all the students and staff made sure that your experience was perfect. Good luck to all the students in their studies!!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed our lunch here very much. The wait service was wonderful and the food absolutely delicious. We cannot wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous GourmetdineinprovacateurDined on 9/10/2014Outstanding dining experience! I brought a friend who had traveled from faraway and they were VERY impressed. Everything was just perfect and the ambiance was wonderful. The price was marvelous and we love supporting the culinary school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Future of DiningPennyDined on 9/6/2014We love this place and don't mind that it is a training ground for tomorrow's chefs and restauranteurs. The ambition of the dishes is exhilarating and the execution is respectable. I salute the head instructor for front-of-house service, Ms. Stoner, in her dedication to creating the best experience possible for the guests. Nonetheless, I would have welcomed more fumbling learning attempts on the part of students to seeing her delivering drinks to the tables herself. But maybe I should be careful what I wish for. It IS early in the school year! One good thing about receiving five or six different dessert ideas on each plate is that something is bound to be good. The bad thing is that many of those ideas are WAY ahead of their time.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014My friends and I had a wonderful lunch here, celebrating her birthday. The food was so well presented and tasted great. The service was excellent. We had a lovely lunch and will be back with our husbands in the near future.Special Features:
- Under the radarSuburbanFamilyDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding dining experience. It seems that this dining gem is not well advertised since it was not full. Great place for a date since the kitchen viewing always gives you something to talk about. Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding valueFoodieDaveDined on 9/2/2014Culinary arts students perform all of the restaurant functions from hostess to bus boy to waiter to chef. At $29 per person the fixed price three course dinner was an outstanding value. All three courses were elaborate. Elaborate preparations, perfectly cooked and perfectly presented. The service was friendly and professional. The only surprise was how sparse the crowd was. We were one of only three occupied tables on a Tuesday. I would recommend the Kendall College Dining Room to anyone for any occasion.Special Features:
- Good deal, inventive foodDeal1dinerDined on 8/29/2014Hostess was great. Food inventive- could tell students were putting forth their best imaginative culinary efforts. Service fine but not professionals ( not supposed to be... They are students and learning). Kitchen sends out additional tastes beyond your email. Nice o be able to support the program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014The two of us had never been to a fine dining restaurant so this was something new for both of us. The experience definitely exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- charlieVIPDined on 8/25/2014Once again the students, under the direction of Chef Bosco and Dining Room Director Maureen, put on a fantastic evening of great food and friendly service. Everyone is to be commended. This is one of Chicago's hidden jewels, and out-of-towners should also give it a try because you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- A True Hidded GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Unique in every way. Something that just needs to be experienced. For the Foodie, for a special lunch to impress, The place to go where you always know the level of quality will be four star.Special Features:
- delightful diningAGC974Dined on 8/13/2014This was my third experience and I love it so much!!! The food is wonderful! Presentation is fantastic. My sister is a Kendall graduate and I know how she prepares, presents and how delicious her meals are...I love coming and will come again and again. Thank you for your offering this pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014Worth getting to with free parking and bus stops close by. Great food and good service.Special Features:
- Another Wonderful Experience!EnjoyfoodDined on 8/9/2014We come here when we can, we try to at least once a year. Very creative and inventive menu! This is not for the faint of heart, dishes are very well thought out and very different, for more adventuresome types. We had the softshell crab appetizer, one of the best we have ever had! It was a very nice size softshell, and had a great guacamole sauce on the side! Hanger steak was great and as well as the lamb. Save room for desserts, always INCREDIBLE! Service was great, very attentive and friendly. We chose to bring our own wine/champagne, $10 per bottle corkage, but they have a full bar and good wine list also.Special Features:
- 2nd visit just a good as the firstmjm814VIPDined on 8/8/2014We had the 3 dish dinner menu for $29. The chef accommodated a request to make an appetizer into an entrée. Nicole gave us excellent service and answered all our questions. We also enjoyed our interaction with the Maître de, Leonard and the service instructor, Pamela.Special Features:
- Amazing!AFRAKEDined on 8/6/2014After hearing about the dining availability on the Chicago Architecture tour, we pulled up the menu online and were really impressed. We booked through Open Table, and were delighted at the elegant room and view when we arrived. We were greeted warmly and received excellent service from Alex and Jennifer, who were personable and answered our many questions. The food was presented beautifully and tasted better. Soft shelled crabs, salmon sushi, duck confit and lamb were amazing presentations, with a beautiful blend of tastes, textures and colors. The desserts were creative and complex, and utterly delicious works of art. Bravo to the chefs and student line cooks! Ann FrakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovefoodDined on 8/2/2014We love the experience of dining at Kendall College. The food is excellent, and the students enthusiastic about their work. Very nice dining room and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeasonedTravelerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food at Kendall College is always excellent and the student servers are very good indeed. Gratuities go to help support the Kendall College Trust sponsored scholarships which is a great idea. Always a pleasure to dine with friends in the College dining roomSpecial Features:
- best kept secretkstoDined on 8/1/2014one of the best restaurant deals in chicago! The pre fix meal is incredible and the daily drink specials are always a steal. Continues to exceed our high foodie expectations despite the fact that the chefs are still students. Its always fun to be served by newcomers to the scene. Every dish we've had has blown us away with creativity and execution. During our last visit, we really enjoyed the soft shell crab (better than we've had on the east coast!) And student special wild boar with berry sauce. The desserts are always unique and amazing (strawberry ricotta souffle!) As much as we'd like to keep it to ourselves, this is definitely a best kept chicago secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly greatPleasedVIPDined on 8/1/2014Came here maybe 5 yrs ago and thought it was mediocre. Wow have things changed. It was terrific. Sorry I had not come back sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabJennaDined on 7/31/2014Lovely experience. Teenagers enjoyed it as well! Fixed price a good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencedineinprovacateurDined on 7/30/2014A delicious adventure that is right on the money, literally. Been to Trump Tower for lunch? Probably paid up the wazoo for what is essentially an equal gastronomic experience. This is a MUST.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughter-in-law treat1FoodieFascinationDined on 7/30/2014I took my daughter-in-law to Kendall's for her birthday. She is definitely a foodie but I have the utmost confidence that she would enjoy the cuisine. Her reaction was even better than I anticipated. She absolutely loved it and is planning on bringing her husband, my son back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilean/Peru SeriesMLRayDined on 7/28/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful evening with our friends from Chile. They were pleasantly surprised that the meal was authentic, expertly prepared and reminded them of home. Thank you for a great evening.Special Features:
- 2die4cuisineDined on 7/28/2014I would give Kendall 5 stars. In the 15 years we've been dining in the Dining Room -- there has never been a meal that wasn't fantastic. We find the prix fixe lunch and/or dinner of excellent value. It allows one to order a bottle of wine or cocktails without breaking the bank. The portions are just perfect, the presentation is fantastic and of course, the food is to die for! It's just a wonderful dining experience that we always look forward to, whether coming by ourselves or bringing friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceCurleyDined on 7/26/2014We thought the food was superb and the service was top notch. Will go again.Special Features:
- I'm still full.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Food was incredible and dessert was out of this world. I will be back.Special Features:
- Confused ServersMarkDined on 7/23/2014This is a student learning restaurant and the food and service in the past was excellent. I have been here many times but this experience was quite different the servers seem to be confused about what they should be doing. My quest had questions about the menu the servers could not answer always had to go back to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendall's SplendidNancyDined on 7/21/2014Lunch at Kendall College Dining Room is always an adventure because the kitchen is a learning center. Each new batch of students brings fresh energy and diverse cultural backgrounds. The seasonal menu changes frequently, and the menu offerings are creative and unexpected. The price of the prix fixe menu (3 courses of choice) is beyond a bargain and the last time two of us dined there the house wine was $4 a glass. Hours at Kendall vary with the season and capacity (only so many tables can be handled by the number of students cooking and serving), so it pays to go as often as possible during days of operation. Can't say enough good things about this dining gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.