Kendall College Dining Room
900 N. North Branch Street
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Kendall College Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.kendall.edu/diningroom
- Phone: (312) 752-2328
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY - FRIDAY
12:00 P.M. - 1:30 P.M.
OCTOBER 6 - OCTOBER 7
OCTOBER 22 - NOVEMBER 4
NOVEMBER 7 - NOVEMBER 21
DECEMBER 1 - DECEMBER 12
6:00 - 8:00 P.M.
TUESDAY - FRIDAY
6:00 - 7:30 P.M.
OCTOBER 4 - NOVEMBER 4
NOVEMBER 7 - DECEMBER 13
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Kendall College Events offers brand new, state-of-the-art facilities with spectacular skyline views for a variety of events. Venues available on the Riverworks campus can accommodate your needs from business. meetings to cocktail receptions. When coupled with the exceptional quality of the cuisine prepared in Kendall's renowned kitchens, Kendall College Events is the obvious choice for your next corporate fundraiser, family gathering, or other unique celebration. Private events menus may be obtained here.
- Private Party Contact: Joseph Monastero 3127522556x
- Entertainment: Guests of The Dining Room at Kendall College are now treated to a new dining experience, where only a glass partition will separate them from the kitchen where their food is being prepared!
A word from Kendall College Dining Room
Kendall College Dining Room is an extraordinary classroom that provides students with the opportunity to gain real-world experience in a student run fine dining restaurant under the supervision of Kendall's experienced instructors. Thanks to an outstanding faculty and dedicated students, Kendall College produces the finest talent in the hospitality and culinary fields in the Midwest. The Dining Room offers guests an amazing view of the Chicago skyline, multi-course meals at very reasonable prices, and ample parking. Come dine with the students before they become famous. The Dining Room at Kendall College is first and only culinary school restaurant included in MICHELIN Guide Chicago 2013.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Kendall College Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Goose Island ›
Kendall College Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)special occasion (57)good for groups (46)scenic view (42)great for lunch (41)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (27)notable wine list (13)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dining is an adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014I dined at Kendall College on Saturday. I'm glad I went because I was supporting the school and by extension the culinary arts. I can't say if my experience was typical or not, but it was obvious the wait staff was just learning the trade as was the back of the house or kitchen staff. The dining room was about half filled and the food arrived very quickly. Unfortunately both the dishes I ordered (scallops and halibut) were room temperature or cool. The scallops were not caramelized enough and the halibut was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor. Nothing a little salt couldn't remedy. The highlight of the meal were the desserts. The school comped one of the three desserts which was very gracious of them. So we were able to sample a wide assortment. In closing I don't want this review to be a deterrent. This is great real world experience for the students and I imagine no two nights are the same. So enjoy the experience, we were all novices at one time another in our life.
- bonbonVIPDined on 11/22/2014exceeded my expectations would definitely return and bring my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RutaDined on 11/17/2014delicious food besutiful presentation value priced decent wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nightroses11Dined on 11/14/2014Celebrated my birthday here. Food was great and the presentation of each item was exquisite.Service was very attentive without being obtrusive. The young men and women in the front of he house did very well, friendly and very attentive. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant experience!fuhgeddaboutitDined on 11/13/2014The food is good and tends to reflect current trends in food - that alone is worth the money. If you're up for a fine dining experience in a quiet room where you're not bumped up against someone else, this is the place to go. Yes, the waitstaff needs some polish, but in the end, they make very few mistakes and they're very nice. Plus, you can see the kitchen through a plate glass window. For all the folks who would pay extra to sit in the kitchen, you can watch here and not fear that someone will accidentally pour soup in your lap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a relaxing dinner and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/13/2014If you want to have dinner at a restaurant that allows you to have a conversation without having to talk over others, the Dining Room is wonderful. Even better, though, is the food. My friend and I were able to spend about 2 1/2 hours over dinner without feeling rushed. The servers were attentive but didn't hover. It's a place I'll go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Experience Was WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Our family of 4 enjoyed our first fine dining experience at Kendall College. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experience and terrific food!IwatchtoomuchfoodnetworkVIPDined on 11/8/2014Dined based on the excellent reviews here, and it did not disappoint! The ambiance of the room itself is so-so (the space isn't configured all that well and the decor could use some help) but the glass-walled kitchen is fun and spotless. These are students, not professionals, so the service is different ( but knowledgeable and closely supervised and way more fun) than the usual distant (if excellent) service you'd get at a fine-dining restaurant. My colleague and I are both professors so we really enjoyed chatting with the students. Every dish we had was delicious and perfectly prepared. The prices - $35 for a bottle of wine and $29 for a 3-course pris-fixe, are absolutely unbeatable for the level of quality.Special Features:
- Fine foodMamabearDined on 11/7/2014It's fine dining for a great price. Free parking in the city with a nice view and great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentmmdayDined on 11/7/2014Luscious food, attentive staff, beautiful view and and easy conversation spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supporting new chefs of AmericaChalet133VIPDined on 11/3/2014Not sure what to expect, I waited in a student center on the ground floor of Kendall College. Looking around, most patrons had wine in hand, so we looked like an odd bunch. At 6.30, someone came down and brought us to the third floor. After stepping out of the elevator, the experience became very endearing. The food was outstanding, all coming from students of Kendall College. I especially picked this Monday night series as it was based upon wine; none of the courses failed to delight us. Even better were the student servers who were learning the finer points of serving and were anxious to please. I recommend the experience for anyone who loves food and wants to support the next generation of great chefs.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014I always enjoy going to Kendall College Dining room. The food is consistently delicious and I feel you get a wonderful value for your money.Special Features:
- GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014Having Kendall College Dining Room in the city is a real bonus. It is guarantees an evening of wonderful food with tables that are well spaced so that conversation is easy. The servers are enthusiastic and perfectly trained.Special Features:
- Remember, these are studentsNearNorthVIPDined on 10/29/2014We had a nice time at the dining room and the prices are very reasonable for the quality. There were some missteps, but understanding these are students learning their trade and the honesty, friendliness and enthusiasm made up for that. The service was very good and generally the food too. The problem was, I had to send back my main 3 times for being underdone, and I am really not too picky about things, but rare is not close to medium-well. The really tried to make up for it, with free) appetizers while waiting (squash gnocchi - delicious) and extra deserts and didn't change me for my whole meal at the end. Plus, I must say, the apple souffle desert is really, really well done. We will certainly give them another try soon.Special Features:
- BANDLDined on 10/28/2014We've been to Kendall College several times and always find it a wonderful dining experience. The food is delicious and beautifully presented. The servers are knowledgeable. We were celebrating our friends special birthdays. They had never been here before and were very impressed, especially knowing everyone was a student. It's a great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJaniceDined on 10/28/2014I have been going to this restaurant for many years, when it used to be at the other location. I always find it fantastic. The food is always good and the students make it very good.Special Features:
- A culinary learning experience!kristiKayDined on 10/24/2014What a wonderful place to have lunch! This gem located in downtown Chicago was the perfect start to a weekend introducing friends from Florida to the joys of eating in Chicago. Wonderful food, energetic and perfect service and a great culinary find at an amazingly reasonable price-this little gem is a bargain and "DO NOT MISS" that every Chicagoan should rush to enjoy! Try the daily prix fixe offering - $18 a person when we visited. Amazing! GO THERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerchefdinerDined on 10/23/2014Although this is an actual classroom, you would be never know this unless you were made aware of it. Great food and polite, attentive service. An affordable place to dine for the whole family. The chef was able to accommodate changes in the tasting menu due to dietary restrictions. Very nice choice of beers, wines, and they now have a full range of ciders. I will definitely be returning with friends and family. I highly recommend this place to anyone who can appreciate a beautifully plated meal that tastes twice as good as it looks. Great job students and staff at Kendall College!! You shall see me again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little offOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/21/2014It seemed confussing that there were conflicting opinions on how the short ribs are prepared and served. It should be known before serving begins. Very dissapointed on this issue as they came out well done and over cooked for some reason.Special Features:
- MellomurphMellomurphDined on 10/20/2014The food was excellent. The Monday night program where the cooking is done by the Kendall students is a delightful experience. The opportunity to interact with the students is fascinating and the Q & A at the close of the evening is unique. Great fun and a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendall Chicago's Best Kept SecretTVTomVIPDined on 10/18/2014You must check this place out if you haven't already. Just great in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kendall College Dining RoomNelloDined on 10/16/2014We had a wonderful three course tasting menu. Service was good some of the students were nervous at the beginning of the dinner. As the dinner progressed they all kicked in to gear and did a good job and great wine service. servers were enthusiastic and engaging it was a very enjoyable evening at Kendall.Special Features:
- Great placeJavaDined on 10/14/2014The restaurant is run by students of the culinary school. This is a bargain in a very expensive city. Walking distance from a Metro station. The night we were there they had 50% off any wine. Our dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine, appetizer, main meal and desert and tip came to $113. Tables were well spaced so you were not listening to other peoples conversations. Service was a little inexperienced with 2 people taking care of our table and not quite enough coordination. However it was very friendly and everything arrived as ordered. Our wine glasses and water were refilled as needed. I highly recommend this restaurant. At the price it can be more than a special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended!ALIinCHICAGODined on 10/13/2014This was my first time here and I wasn't quite sure what to expect but the food was fantastic! Even though it was the "staffs" first night serving, overall they did an excellent job. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Another great mealAlibearDined on 10/10/2014This was our second time dining here and it was just as good as the first time. Food is outstanding. They provide small specials in between courses and these were excellent as well. Great overall experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet for LessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Five of us enjoyed lunch at Kendall Dining Room. The presentation of the food was excellent as was the taste. The pumpkin cheesecake was so yummy and it was great that it was a small piece. The students were all learning to be servers and that was obvious but they will improve with time.Special Features:
- Always a Great MealWhiteOakDined on 10/9/2014We've been eating at the Kendall College dining room at least once a year since it was in Evanston -- which was a long time ago now. I'm glad they moved the kitchen so it's in view of the dining room. I had missed that in the first few years in Chicago. The students do an excellent job preparing and serving the meal. The artic char was very good. The lamb was properly cooked. The squash soup appetizer was tasty. Tgeh apple spice cake was delightful and just the right touch for a fall meal. Also, it wasn't overly sweet. The only negative was that the appetizer and the lamb came to the table cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get GoingNancyDined on 10/8/2014To Kendall College Dining Room for lunch. The food is fabulous, the service is very good considering the servers are all culinary students, and the prix fixe lunch (3 courses) is $18; with a glass of house wine $22. What's not to rave about?Special Features:
- chicago top chef experienceirishfoodieVIPDined on 10/7/2014Our group had a wonderful evening at Kendall. The staff was delightful and food beautifully prepared. Our experience of 3 courses was plentiful for an incredible value. We shared entrée and desserts, so that we could taste everything. Our favorites were the scallops, rack of lamb with an incredible apple chutney and beef shoulder tender and tasty. Flavors were good in all dishes - but as a foodie, I would suggest to the chefs to go bolder, as in the lamb dish. Desserts were beautiful in presentation and good in taste...but again not amazing. The highlight of the night were the yogurt spears! A surprise that made our experience - unforgettable and so much fun!! We would vote 3 forks and would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grateful for the tiptablefor2Dined on 10/6/2014We are grateful a former Kendall student recommended The Dining Room. The food was delicious and watching the students prepare and serve the meal was a treat. And tax-deductible tips goes to their scholarship program. Easy access via public transportation. Our lunch at The Dining Room was a highlight on our first trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Wondeful ExperiencePutFoodHereVIPDined on 10/6/2014Went with my Mom for their pre-fixed lunch and we walked out completely satisfied and were already talking about coming back shortly since there were so many things on their seasonal menu that we wanted to try before it was gone. It was like dining at a 5-star restaurant with the presentation, food choices, and service, but with 2-star prices and all the students and staff made sure that your experience was perfect. Good luck to all the students in their studies!!Special Features:
- Always a good mealMarkPchicagoDined on 10/4/2014The food is always excellent, and it's great interacting with the cooking school students. They are both enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The menu is exciting and always a little different.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed our lunch here very much. The wait service was wonderful and the food absolutely delicious. We cannot wait to try it for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous GourmetdineinprovacateurDined on 9/10/2014Outstanding dining experience! I brought a friend who had traveled from faraway and they were VERY impressed. Everything was just perfect and the ambiance was wonderful. The price was marvelous and we love supporting the culinary school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated our 33 anniversary here.MichaelDined on 9/6/2014They greeted us by our names. They doted on my wife like the Queen I think she is... They redid a portion of their menu for my wife. They wished us a Happy 33rd Anniversary on our dessert:) Very Cool..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Future of DiningPennyDined on 9/6/2014We love this place and don't mind that it is a training ground for tomorrow's chefs and restauranteurs. The ambition of the dishes is exhilarating and the execution is respectable. I salute the head instructor for front-of-house service, Ms. Stoner, in her dedication to creating the best experience possible for the guests. Nonetheless, I would have welcomed more fumbling learning attempts on the part of students to seeing her delivering drinks to the tables herself. But maybe I should be careful what I wish for. It IS early in the school year! One good thing about receiving five or six different dessert ideas on each plate is that something is bound to be good. The bad thing is that many of those ideas are WAY ahead of their time.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014My friends and I had a wonderful lunch here, celebrating her birthday. The food was so well presented and tasted great. The service was excellent. We had a lovely lunch and will be back with our husbands in the near future.Special Features:
- Under the radarSuburbanFamilyDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding dining experience. It seems that this dining gem is not well advertised since it was not full. Great place for a date since the kitchen viewing always gives you something to talk about. Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding valueFoodieDaveDined on 9/2/2014Culinary arts students perform all of the restaurant functions from hostess to bus boy to waiter to chef. At $29 per person the fixed price three course dinner was an outstanding value. All three courses were elaborate. Elaborate preparations, perfectly cooked and perfectly presented. The service was friendly and professional. The only surprise was how sparse the crowd was. We were one of only three occupied tables on a Tuesday. I would recommend the Kendall College Dining Room to anyone for any occasion.Special Features:
- Good deal, inventive foodDeal1dinerDined on 8/29/2014Hostess was great. Food inventive- could tell students were putting forth their best imaginative culinary efforts. Service fine but not professionals ( not supposed to be... They are students and learning). Kitchen sends out additional tastes beyond your email. Nice o be able to support the program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.