Ken & Cook
19 Kenmare Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ken & Cook
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kenandcook.com/
- Phone: 2129663058x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Thurs: 11:30am - 12:00am
Fri: 11:30am - 1:00am
Sat: 11:00am - 1:00am
Sun: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Richard Diamonte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do catering for large parties
- Entertainment: Live Gypsy band on Sundays from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Special Events: We have a special events space for weddings , birthdays and private parties
A word from Ken & Cook
Located at 19 Kenmare Street in the heart of Nolita, Ken & Cook is the inspiration of Jean Georges alumnus e. Chef has created a Contemporary American menu with signature dishes including Oyster Rockefeller, Monkfish, & Fried Chicken. The restaurant also features a fresh Raw Bar for diners to enjoy seasonal Clams, Oysters, Shrimp, and Lobster. Ken & Cook's industrial brasserie design includes painted original brick, pressed tin ceilings, wood paneling, vintage leather banquettes, and polished brass elements.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ken & Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (27)great for brunch (21)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (19)good for groups (16)special occasion (13)great for lunch (13)hot spot (10)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- BrunchMontanaVIPDined on 8/17/2014A planned brunch turned into an unplanned boozy brunch- service was awesome, they let us go over the two hours because they weren't super busy. Definitely strong drinks and delicious food- the croissant french toast was amazing!Special Features:
- Great findoneeyedjacks1Dined on 8/15/2014Great atmosphere, menu and cocktail list. Restaurant Week menu had plenty of options and offered larger than normal portions. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great find!BethNYVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is a great restaurant for the neighborhood! Lovely, comfy decor and wonderful bar. Good wine options and food was mostly good. Fava bean salad VERY bland. But beets salad, meatballs, and salmon tartare very good! I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Meal for a Gilt City VoucherreallyhungrygirlDined on 8/12/2014Decided to eat at Ken&Cook because of the great deal on Gilt City. My boyfriend and I split the Beets appetizer as well at the Burrata. Both were perfectly fine but nothing spectacular. For the entree, I got the Strip Steak and fries which were both heavily salted. I don't think the food was worth the normal menu price, but was perfectly nice for the coupon value.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014Went for restaurant week prior to fringe festival event. Happy hour at the bar included $1 oysters (yum). The six of us had the three different entrees offered, a steak which was perfectly cooked ($38 on regular menu, appeared to be same for special menu which was $38 for three courses) grilled tuna and scallops. Everyone loved the entrees. The appetizers (Kale salad, crabcakes or mini meatballs were also top notch, as were the desserts of panna cotta or chocolate cake. Had an excellent bordeaux for a reasonable price. Not only great when in the neighborhood,but worth a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer!b0nyyDined on 8/4/2014The place was surprisingly empty the day I went for lunch with my friend and my puppy. Usually the place is packed and especially the outdoor seating. The server immediately went to the back and filled a container with water for my pup which I thought was extremely thoughtful without me requesting it. Servers were very attentive but food was served very slow. (Restaurant week summer 2014)Special Features:
- Pretty looking but pass pass passBLAHDined on 8/3/2014When we asked if they had any specials for the evening they said no. Yet after our dinner on the way out my husband noticed a bunch of specials up on a board hmmm. Started with oysters , nothing special . As we were eating them they bought out our apps. Burrata over a little aurgula with 3 cherry tomatoes split in half. A dot of olive oil ( not good quality). Have bought better in a supermarket. No seasoning no taste. As short a time that they dumped our apps was a long of a time we waited and waited for our dinner. The mussels in my husbands dish were so small you could hardly see them. I had duck breast. It was cooked nice but the skin was not crisp at all. The sweet potato mash was way to sweet for the duck . Plus it was very warm inside
- A little disappointingDsnyc14Dined on 7/26/2014Crab cakes had no flavor something I would expect frozen. Steak ok but lots of grizzle. Nolita tequila cocktail was refreshing. Mash potatoes were very good. Dessert was disappointing. Nothing was horrible but nothing was great either. Servers were pleasant but seemed more interested in each other.Special Features:
- Easy to enjoy.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014I made a reservation for 4. Called last minute to change to 8. No problem, they accommodated. Food was good, service energetic & friendly. Would go again. Recommend apps crab cake or meatballs, best entree scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014Fantastic and interesting food. Noisy because of traffic outside (the front was open due to the season) but otherwise a cute space with lovely service. Will definitely try to get there again and would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- jcblackDined on 7/22/2014Had the crab cakes, YUM. The scallops and tuna were also delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014My friend and I had dinner at Ken & Cook last week. We both ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, sharing the crab cake appetizer and meatball appetizer first. Both were delicious, and the portions were generous. We both chose seared scallops as our entree. They were good-sized and seared perfectly. The molten lava cake was paired perfectly with salted caramel ice cream. The waitstaff was very attentive throughout the evening, and made no attempt to rush us out.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/10/2014Very nice place. Excellent service. Great food. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!NYCgirlVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our only complaint was that our waitress must have been new and was completely clueless to help us with any questions we had. But instead of saying that or getting someone who did know, she just stood there and said "I don't know". A little odd. But other than that, food was great.Special Features:
- Great Food and locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/17/2014Been to Ken & Cook twice - their food is great! Very cute place - crabcake, oysters, tuna - yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014The food was ok but the service was outstanding !!!Special Features:
- So DisappointingSglawDined on 6/8/2014Beautiful space in a very cool neighborhood but some of the worst food and most incompetent service I have encountered in a long time.
- Bartender could use some lessons!NornorVIPDined on 6/1/2014Good food and great service, but the bartenders could use some tips--and not in the $ kind of way! I would not recommend coming for a drink. 1. My sister and I order mimosas with our brunch and but they were brought out relatively warm so we had to order ice to put into our drinks. 2. My boyfriend ordered a Delirium (a favorite beer among the three of us) but it did NOT taste like Delirium. I've had the beer on tap and in the bottle, and all three of us agreed it wasn't right. 3. My boyfriend returned the beer and got another type, and the bartender didn't fill the glass! There was so much foam on the beer (probably poured wrong), so it ended up being filled only 2/3rds of the way. I'm not even a bartender and I could of done better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImproperCriticDined on 5/25/2014Service was rude and cocky. Food was mediocre. Ambience was loud. Would not recommend to anyone.
- Excellent Seafood via casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/22/2014I read great review on Ken & Cook of its food and the food was fabulous. I had the salmon tartrate so fresh- generous appetizer portion. Shared a cocktail shrimp - it was fabulous. Shared the crabcake again generous portion and as I like it - crabby, fresh and good bread crumb crust. Finally - the perfect grilled tuna - fresh, delicious and oh so full. I find their food to be well presented, FRESH, generously portioned and not overseason. Just simple seasoning of salt, little pepper, olive oil and FRESH ingredients. Keep up the good work - I'm coming back next month to celebrate another friend's birthday. Overall a great find for foodies,although store front can be missed - but it seems like they are working on more outdoor seating.Special Features:
- lovelytheirfanVIPDined on 5/19/2014BF loved the fried chicken, their signature plate, bartender, manager, entire team, wonderful. just wonderful perfectly cooked food.Special Features:
- The following 87 reviews are from the Ken & Cook reviews archive.
- Really good food and fun placeDanielleP143VIPDined on 5/3/2014Wish our waiter had been a bit more knowledgeable about the menu and that the waiter that then DID help us had been a bit clearer about how our food was going to come out (all at once vs in courses-who brings a cheese plate out at the same time as an entree?)...he asked us if we wanted to it all once-and we figured he meant appetizers all at once and entree seperately-but he meant literally all at once and even tried to tell us to eat our entree before our cheese plate so it wouldnt get cold...when REALLY it shouldnt have been brought out all at once. Odd service choice... BUT the food was great-loved the vegetable plate and cheese plate...and our Tuna was AMAZING as well. The Salmon Tartare was good but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Just OKmleb143Dined on 4/30/2014The restaurant was completely dead! Only one other group there for dinner on a Weds night. Some menu items were "out" (of course it's always the stuff you really wanted to try) and then we were given a hard time when we tried to use a TravelZoo voucher. I heard this place has a great brunch... maybe one day I will go back to try it.
- Cute placeThidaVIPDined on 4/18/2014Very cute place, food was good but nothing really special.
- Great Happy Hour & PastanumnumDined on 4/18/2014Came here before a show at Bowery Ballroom and loved the happy hour specials, had dinner and the pappardelle was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great spot, will return!LahuVIPDined on 4/5/2014I'm not in this area often but if I was I'd eat here a LOT. Great spot, had the mini meatballs to start (delicious) and the tuna steak as main (great portion size, seared perfectly). My fellow diners' lamb and duck also looked great. Will go back!Special Features:
- Ambience and food are verryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2014Ambience and food are verry good, but the service leaves a lot to be desired. Seemed like there was 1 waiter for the entire restaurant and he spent half the time chatting at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood restaurant with good faaaaaaaaaDined on 3/5/2014The restaurant is not too big. There were several waiters working at the time of dinner. The wait to sit doesn't take long. The food was good. The waiters are friendly and would check on us after serving the food. It's a place for small group gathering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot to try!CassCDined on 2/23/2014Dined here with a friend for Sunday dinner the food was great minus the appetizer (not a big raw salmon fan) and the host was kind and pleasant. The ambience is very romantic, half way through dinner a live band started playing and set the mood for some couples that were there. The aged strip steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & MusicHungry2Dined on 2/20/2014Had an amazing meal with great ambiance. It was restaurant week and the place was busy, but they took great care of us. They had a trio playing live music which was awesome. We will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnersf373VIPDined on 1/29/2014Were really accommodating. Food and wine were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have eat here twice whileOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2014Have eat here twice while on business in the city. Both experiences have been great. Good food, and wine and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solidfinedinerVIPDined on 1/24/2014Pleasant somewhat chic room/decor (but small tables - hard if you're sharing dishes), Service fairly attentive, food good if somewhat unimaginative and predictable. The wine list has a very nice range of selections at all price points. Nice cheese selections. Might be a good place for just drinks at the bar with cheese.....Special Features:
- service good, food saltyChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 1/17/2014treated my friend for her graduation. service was friendly and just right. we felt taken care of but not rushed or like the server(s) were hovering or annoying. BIG PLUS on service for the server bringing us brand new drinks as we were just getting to empty (although i can't tell from the receipt whether we were charged for refills we didn't order - OJ and club soda). the food was all good BUUUUT a bit salty. The octopus app, mussels, and shrimp pasta were still edible (albeit with a lot of water) but the broccoli rabe was inedible. We should've sent it back but I was lazy. As i've previously noted, I tend to have a bland palate. Maybe not too salty for most people. Space is small but never felt crowded or too loud.Special Features:
- Eh!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/7/2014The food might be good but the choices they had on the urbandaddy deal were ridiculously restricted so we didnt get to taste the good food. Clearly, they are missing on opportunities to highlight their food, unless they dont think its good :(
- Disappointed to see a 'B' gradeBillyPVIPDined on 1/3/2014The food was phenomenal. Beet Salad: AMAZING. Squid Appetizer: AMAZING. The Fried Chicken was divine, the Macaroni and Cheese was, quite possibly, the best in the city.The Sage Tortellini was almost good, but too fragrant and herbal for one person to eat the entire dish. This is a serious flaw in the chef's kitchen and should be addressed as this dish has potential. Easy on the sage, add a tortellini or two to balance out the strong flavors of the cheese and herbs. It's just too much. Our server, whose name I forget but appeared to be of African descent and British/English schooling, was amazing. Servers, bow down. And other restaurants, keep and eye out for him and drop him your card. He's destined for better things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor servicemagikarenoDined on 1/1/2014I was disappointed with the service at this restaurant. The waiter spilled water on our table and never wiped it up. We ordered a cheese/meat board but they never explained what was on the board. I requested extra bread for the board, but it never arrived and I had to ask twice. Food was decent but a bit overpriced, there are other brunch places nearby that are a better value.
- Good, could have been great.maximman121Dined on 12/31/2013Well designed, food well seasoned, well stocked bar, pleasant service. Missed on a few things: 1) Boxed pasta being served 2 blocks north of Di Palos. (this is just an oops, the marginal cost to get the fresh stuff is tiny) 2) Half of my girlfriend's clams (linguine ala vongole) were closed. Being a sweetie, she didn't want to say anything. 3) Horrible paper in the washrooms left your hands smelling like arts & crafts That said, the food was really well cooked, and the drinks we had were well prepared. We would come back, we'd probably just get something that wasn't pasta.
- LOVE this place.....OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/22/2013This my regular whenever I am in the city for brunch. Love the dishes and the Boozy Brunch......the staff is friendly and always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, AMAZING serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/16/2013Ken & Cook never disappoints. The service is always above and beyond -- our server was such a joy and so kind and helpful. The food is wonderful as well and the vibe is a perfect mix of laid back cool while still maintaining a fun energy. Go on Mondays of course to top your night off downstairs at Lil' Charlies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.