19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kellari.us/
- Phone: 2122210144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm-11:30pm; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm to midnight; Sunday: 5pm-11pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Gregory Zapantis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our goal is to make sure that your event, or a Private event at your house, is a great success. We bring our Greek hospitality to you and make sure your event runs smoothly and without a hitch.
- Private Party Facilities: Kellari offers a range from semi-private, to full buyout options. Events range from cocktail & hors d'oeuvres to seated coursed dining. Lunch, Dinner & Brunches...Baby & Bridal Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Graduation & Birthday Parties & any event that calls for a celebration.
•MAIN ROOM seats 120
•WINE ROOM 50-80 persons
•ZANTE ROOM 35-50 persons
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•FULL BUYOUT seats 220
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Schmidt 212-221-0144x
- Entertainment: Live jazz music for Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: •WINE ROOM 50-80 people
•ZANTE ROOM up to 45 people
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•DINNING ROOM seats 220
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
- Public Transit: Subway:
F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue
4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St
N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue
Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens
Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut
New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking on the street from 6:00PM - Midnight, Monday – Saturday using the New York MUNI meters. Sunday is FREE all day.
Hippodrome Garage is conveniently located 50 West 44th Street between 5th and 6th and gladly provides Kellari guests with discounts on already low daily and monthly parking rates. Night and weekend parking is cheaper.
A word from Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kellari Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
380 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (134)good for groups (121)special occasion (113)neighborhood gem (105)great for lunch (85)romantic (75)notable wine list (53)vibrant bar scene (46)great for brunch (37)late-night find (30)hot spot (25)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Good food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014We enjoyed the food and service, but will not return for business lunch due to the noise level. I do not like to shout across the table.Special Features:
- Always Love Kellari for LunchFood2LiveDined on 9/17/2014This was our 7th visit and Kellari still provides us with the most delicious meal along with wonderful service. It's such a beautiful restaurant and is on a lovely street close to 5th Ave on 44th St. The lunch specials are always so delicious and plentiful. We have already made another reservation for a lunch with friend for two week from now.Special Features:
- Food was delicious.CindyGDined on 9/16/2014The price fix menu was great. We were going to the theater and appreciated the quick service and delicious food. The fish is incredibly fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- get the prix fixeBennyDined on 9/16/2014The ala carte menu is quite expensive but the prix fixe is quite reasonable and, unlike many such menus, is well thought out with a wide range of excellent dishes. Fish is their thing and that too is well represented. Don't expect a quite meal as the restaurant is quite noisy. You will have a good dining experience with tasty and well thought out preparations including the deserts.Special Features:
- DisappointingRuprichtVIPDined on 9/16/2014Uneven, uncaring service. This is a food factory. Very crowded, many groups, a place to go before theater for those who are not fussy about service or food. The Greek salad was good although mass produced. This was our second and last timeSpecial Features:
- Good (but not great) foodDDeanVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went to Kellari Taverna on Saturday night. It's beautiful! Unfortunately, the food was not as good. We both ordered the prix-fixe dinner. I had the spinach pie and the orzo with clams, shrimp and scallop. It was good. My husband ordered the sea bass, which he said was tasteless. Even worse, he got a mouthful of bones in every bite. The woman sitting next to us had a similar problem with her sea bass. Our waiter was pleasant and well meaning but not terribly knowledgeable about the menu.
- Good mid-town pre-theater valuerdrdDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent pre-theater dinner here. What was especially striking to us was the alternatives they had on the prix-fixe pre-theater menu. We had an excellent salmon tartare appetizer and a fine grilled whole lavraki, the types of choices that we seldom see on mid-town pre-theater menus. All dishes were well prepared. Service was OK but nothing special, though we didn't need much help. We'll be back.
- An Elegant ConstantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Kellari is consistently good; food, wine, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Kellari never disappointsHappygirlVIPDined on 9/10/2014Another visit to Kellari and again we were thoroughly pleased - the fish perfectly cooked- and the prix fix menu is reasonably priced with a nice variety of selections - even the spanakopita tastes like homemade- !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down fast....Foodie280VIPDined on 9/10/2014Both the food and service has severely been downgraded during the last few months. One example is that I denied crackers to eat with my salmon tartare. Instead my option was to eat it with a fork or a thick slice of bread. Yet, leaving the restaurant I noticed there were crackers on the bar for guests to help themselves with cheese. We were also not offered a coffee refill.
- MariaDined on 9/10/2014Although there is not a scenic view, the ambiance is very pleasing to the eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back!foodloverDined on 9/9/2014We were recommended this restaurant from a local NY'er and it sure did not disappoint!! Food was amazing, service was fantastic! Our waiter was so pleasant and helped us choose our dishes. The ambiance was warm and cozy even though its a spacious restaurant. I would definitely come back to Kellari next time I am in NY!Special Features:
- Best seasood in midtownRebeccaVIPDined on 9/9/2014From the moment you walk in, you are greeted and treated like a VIP. There are at least 3 people servicing your table throughout dinner, always refilling you water or drinks without having to ask. The food is the main 5 star experience. I always get the sea bass- it is most light and could not be more fresh. I have been there for their Lobster Sundays, which is fun, but their pre-fix theater menu is a deal in NYC, and all the fish is fantastic. You cannot go wrong. They were even so kind when I checked in and tweeted I was at KellariNYC, they found our table and brought us complementary Prosecco. Very classy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linnieVIPDined on 9/7/2014overpriced by far, service was pathetic...food was good but there are better places to go to be overcharged and wait 30 minutes for the first salad course.
- GayleeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Visited this restaurant after a broadway show. Food was delicious-had the pre-fix dinner which had a nice amount of selections. The bass was delicious. I had the scallops for an appetizer which was very good. We had great service from our waiter and nice ambiance. Definitely a great place near the Time Square area.Special Features:
- Pre TheatreMichaelEVIPDined on 9/6/2014Kellari is a bit out of place for weekend theatre goers as it is on 44th close to Fifth. However, we usually have pre-theatre dinner there particularly when our theatre is at 46th close to Sixth. The service is great. The pre-theatre menu fairly priced and the portions ample. The food excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceMarkTimeDined on 9/6/2014We showed up at 6:00 on a Saturday night for a pre-theater dinner. Despite letting our waiter know that we had theater tickets they took 45 minutes to bring out our salads! I had to inquire about our main course as well. While the restaurant was busy, it was by no means packed. There were a fair number of empty tables still by the time we left.
- Great main,but skip the spanakopitaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Food was pretty good. The spanakopita seemed a bit dry but the main proteins were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theaterCiporaDined on 9/5/2014Perfect pre theater prix fixe menu that offers more choices than most .Special Features:
- Greek food perfectionHappygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything on the menu is delicious- we had the zucchini eggplant chips- grilled octopus- seafood youvetsi the lamb chops were cooked to perfection- extensive wine list- must try the Greek wines- leave room for dessert!! Galactoboureko a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish-tastic!Zuum2zuumVIPDined on 9/2/2014Kellari does seafood right! This convenient midtown restaurant is a great spot for: 1. Freshest fish done with that simple, tasty Mediterranean style; 2. Perfectly prepared octopus, either grilled or ceviche; 3. Friendly, efficient service and; 4. Good value. Great for groups or, just the two of you.Special Features:
- Great Buisness DinnerFieldsDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed an evening with 7 colleagues and Kellari Taverna was an ideal location. They had a nice large table for us and the noise level was moderate. Our server was attentive and we never felt rushed during our evening. We were recommended Greek wines that complimented everyone's food. The atmosphere is beautiful and elegant, ideal to impress business partners. We look forward to more dinners at this location.Special Features:
- too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014The price of the food was outrageous just because of the mere fact that it is located in the theatre district. The food was good but not spectacular. The spanakopita was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the fresh fish that I ordered, but was not extraordinarily blown away by anything. The price makes it an unworthy investment.Special Features:
- luvfoodVIPDined on 8/31/2014Also, always a wonderful trio providing great music!Special Features:
- Expensive yet quite average foodPattiDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant looks great, decor is inviting. The food and service were a disappointment. While nothing was specifically bad, nothing was really very good either. Under flavored food, but presentation was good. Maybe just an off-night?Special Features:
- Pre Theater choiceBerwinDined on 8/30/2014Very good pre theater prix fixed menu. Not the ordinary boring selections that so many other NYC restaurants offer to accommodate the lowest common denominator of diner. Attractive interior with a good selection of fresh fish on ice that can be observed. Attentive service. My only negative comment is that the pricing for wines and cocktails is on the high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey unimpressive restaurantitalianDined on 8/29/2014We were at this restaurant one week ago. I have been in Greece several time and I like Greek food. At Kellari the food was okay, but not outstanding in any way. The oven roasted orzo with seafood was overcooked and the grilled lamb chops were quite chewy. I complained but little to nothing happened. The Octopodi was not charcoal grilled as stated in the menu but prepared in a quite ordinary way. You can easily find better Greek food in Manhattan at lower price.
- We Go for the OctopusDarganVIPDined on 8/29/2014Kellari is an all around wonderful Greek restaurant, but we have to admit we go for the charcoal grilled octopus--tender, crispy from the fire on a bed of red onions and capers in a perfect, understated vinaigrette.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014We were very pleased with the quality of food and service at Kellari! Also very reasonably priced for Manhattan, particularly as it is about 3 blocks from Times Square. Service was prompt and friendly, decor and atmosphere very pleasant. The pre-theater prix fixe menu was a great value. Food arrived promptly, but we were not rushed as we savored the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great place to dineFoodieFoShoDined on 8/27/2014Kellari is my go to restaurant whenever I want a very nice place to take a good friend to celebrate something special. It's close to work, always staffed by friendly, professional, fast moving people and the food is always wonderful. And also important is that you leave feeling full and the price doesn't break the bank. Still recommend Kellari Taverna - been coming here for years!Special Features:
- Been here many times...EnjoygreateatsDined on 8/23/2014...but this time was not as good. We've enjoyed this restaurant before, but this time our entree was very bland. On previous visits the great flavors were what kept us coming back. And, they were out of a Greek white wine that we ordered!
- BuddyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very good atmosphere and excellent food. Fresh fish choice is terrific. Server very helpful with details of the menu and the fish.Special Features:
- Good food and nice atmosphereSuzanneDined on 8/22/2014I was impressed by the ambiance of the restaurant. The food and service were not far behind. Would go again.Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Food is fresh & delicious, service precise and vibe is contageous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek NYCHollyPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent & attentive staff. The plate of olives, hummus, & radishes and freshly baked bread was wonderful. The food was fresh, well prepared with a nice presentation. Truly delicious!Special Features:
- Great experience pre-theatre diningTouchbaseVIPDined on 8/20/2014We chose Kallari for their good reviews and close proximity to the Belasco Theatre. Having had so-so dinners around Times Square, I did have low expectations. However, the food was outstanding, from appetizers to dessert. We ordered off the pre-theater menu. I enjoyed my salmon tartar and my sea bass was simple and fresh, perfectly cooked; my husband said his scallop appetizer was outstanding and he loved his cod. I matched my choices with a wine pairing. I wasn't expecting full pours, but that is what I received. I was personally not enchanted with the wine choices, although the pairing with the baklava dessert was good. The service was top notch, so much so that we commented all through our meal how great it was.Special Features:
- was great but just too noisycjr2VIPDined on 8/20/2014A reunion of 5 people who only see each other once a year wanted to chat but even tho we had a round table in the back room, the noise was such we could only hear the person next to us ....food and drink and service were fine, but it was hard to communicate....maybe the vaulted ceiling not conducive to conversation...and then a group of 8 males arrived and talking was a chore... too bad...otherwise no complaints...Special Features:
- Grat fresh fishPFB1668VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great for fresh fish from Mediterranean. They will show you the fish table side before preparing. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful pre theater menueOliaVIPDined on 8/19/2014It's very convenient to have a fun place neat Times square with a flavor of neighborhood happening place. Food was excellent and really tastfulSpecial Features:
- ExcellentcaroleDined on 8/19/2014Great experience great waitress Zelia. Sea bass and lamp chops all very good. Scallops with risotto and spinach pie all excellent. Shared the baklava outstanding. Nice atmosphere and close to the theater. Came with a pre theater menu. Would for sure returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.