19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kellari.us/
- Phone: 2122210144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm-11:30pm; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm to midnight; Sunday: 5pm-11pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Gregory Zapantis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our goal is to make sure that your event, or a Private event at your house, is a great success. We bring our Greek hospitality to you and make sure your event runs smoothly and without a hitch.
- Private Party Facilities: Kellari offers a range from semi-private, to full buyout options. Events range from cocktail & hors d'oeuvres to seated coursed dining. Lunch, Dinner & Brunches...Baby & Bridal Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Graduation & Birthday Parties & any event that calls for a celebration.
•MAIN ROOM seats 120
•WINE ROOM 50-80 persons
•ZANTE ROOM 35-50 persons
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•FULL BUYOUT seats 220
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Schmidt 212-221-0144x
- Entertainment: Live jazz music for Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: •WINE ROOM 50-80 people
•ZANTE ROOM up to 45 people
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•DINNING ROOM seats 220
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
- Public Transit: Subway:
F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue
4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St
N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue
Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens
Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut
New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking on the street from 6:00PM - Midnight, Monday – Saturday using the New York MUNI meters. Sunday is FREE all day.
Hippodrome Garage is conveniently located 50 West 44th Street between 5th and 6th and gladly provides Kellari guests with discounts on already low daily and monthly parking rates. Night and weekend parking is cheaper.
A word from Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kellari Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)good for groups (125)special occasion (115)neighborhood gem (101)great for lunch (88)romantic (75)notable wine list (53)vibrant bar scene (45)great for brunch (34)late-night find (31)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- DinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014This wonderful Greek Restaurant is the perfect place to go before or after theatre. They have an incredible prix fix dinner menu with the option of purchasing two or three items. Wonderful choices and a nice variety of fish/fowl and meats. Definitely recommend the lamp chops and chicken. Delightful evening, nice find.Special Features:
- FoodieholicDined on 9/27/2014I came here once before a couple of years back during restaurant week and promptly fell in love with it. I never had a chance to come back until recently for a bachelorette party. This is the perfect place to have a beautiful dinner. The service is amazing and attentive but not overbearing. The food here is delicious. I especially recommend any of the steam fish or the lamb chops. This was the few places I went to that when you ask for medium rare, they actually cook it medium rare. I would highly recommend this place for special occasions or even a nice dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerRdr525VIPDined on 9/27/2014Dinned here many times. Food is very good however this time food was not hot enough. We should have sent it back but didn't want to be late for our show Definitely will try againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay AWAY if you want good service!LayneDined on 9/26/2014We went to Kellari on a trip to New York because two different people reccomended it. We must have had 4 different servers come to our table to bring us different courses or bread. But NOT ONE server ever checked to see how anything was. My lamp chops were luke warm, but no one came by to ask!! I ate them because we were seeing a show and got tired on waiting to fond a server to ask. I can't believe how many servers this place had and all they do is drop things off. STAY AWAY!!!
- Will definitely return!NottoocrazyVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was very good and attractively presented. The pre-theater menu was both varied and reasonably priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was disappointingly mediocre this time. I was disappointed.
- Poor servicebroadwaybuffDined on 9/24/2014We waited for at least 20 minutes before someone (after repeated flagging) took our drinks order. We told them we were catching a show and had to be out of there by 7:10, and our entrees arrived at 7! It was a challenge to say the least to get a second drink. I would not recommend this place if you are trying to catch a show afterwards.
- Greek theatre area restauarantShoppingpalDined on 9/24/2014Excellent service in this lively theatre area Greek restaurant. All four of us ordered prix fix meals. Although they were pretty good everything was cold when served. Great saladsSpecial Features:
- Great food and locationCathyoDined on 9/23/2014The food is delicious and is a combination of traditional Greek with some innovative twists.vegetable crisps and grilled calamari were excellent. Location in midtown is convenient for commuters. On our most recent visit, service was a little inattentive, perhaps because of how busy the place was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous seafoodcmgparsonsVIPDined on 9/23/2014We chose Kellari for pre-theater prix fixe dinner and were certainly not disappointed. While the general menu was tempting, we chose selections from the prix fixe.....lots of choices and well priced for either 2 or 3 courses. The wine list was extensive, including selections from Greece. Service was friendly, quick, & efficient. The decor was very interesting, using drapes, foliage, lighting to create smaller more intimate spaces from one cavernous room. The display of fresh whole fish on ice added to the Greek flair. I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:
- Great dining experience55555Dined on 9/23/2014This is not my first time at Kellari Taverna. My activity these days keeps me mostly out of town, so I have not been to this restaurant in a couple of years. I selected this restaurant because the food is consistently excellent and the ambiance and service match. If you enjoy fish, you should definitely try this restaurant. The couple I invited to meet me for lunch at Kellari enjoyed it so much that they indicated they now have a new location to enjoy a good lunch or dinner. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekElsasolseatsVIPDined on 9/22/2014We were late. They were lovely. Lunch was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014Pretheater dinner is wonderful, well priced with interesting diversified choices. And a great value.Special Features:
- Great!!!!eclecticfoodyDined on 9/18/2014The food is authentic Greek cousine Consistently good Very good service Chef and staff are very friendly Very pleasant environment We visit every time we pass through New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painfully noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014I've been to Kellari at least 20 times over the last few years and have always enjoyed the food and the general ambience. However, the noise level has become unbearable and it's almost impossible to have a conversation. New York actually seems quiet when you leave the restaurant. The tables feel like they are now packed too closely together and the space itself could use some noise insulation. I may go back, but only very early or very late in the evening.
- Good food but service lackingcmd108VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is pretty good here, but the service was very slow and they forgot an entree. No server even noticed that an entree was missing and it took several minutes before we got someone's attention. I'm not sure how this gets missed, there were only 3 of us and the person whose meal was forgotten had a full conversation with the waitress about which entree to order. Bizarre. In addition, our lunch took over 1.5 hours due to delays in getting food. This is not appropriate on a weekday.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEDIOCRE...DEB1VIPDined on 9/17/2014We have been here when it lives up to yummy Greek/Mediterranean style cooking... but as of late while everything is fresh, it is bland, so be prepared to add your own kick...Special Features:
- Good food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014We enjoyed the food and service, but will not return for business lunch due to the noise level. I do not like to shout across the table.Special Features:
- Always Love Kellari for LunchFood2LiveDined on 9/17/2014This was our 7th visit and Kellari still provides us with the most delicious meal along with wonderful service. It's such a beautiful restaurant and is on a lovely street close to 5th Ave on 44th St. The lunch specials are always so delicious and plentiful. We have already made another reservation for a lunch with friend for two week from now.Special Features:
- Food was delicious.CindyGVIPDined on 9/16/2014The price fix menu was great. We were going to the theater and appreciated the quick service and delicious food. The fish is incredibly fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- get the prix fixeBennyDined on 9/16/2014The ala carte menu is quite expensive but the prix fixe is quite reasonable and, unlike many such menus, is well thought out with a wide range of excellent dishes. Fish is their thing and that too is well represented. Don't expect a quite meal as the restaurant is quite noisy. You will have a good dining experience with tasty and well thought out preparations including the deserts.Special Features:
- DisappointingRuprichtVIPDined on 9/16/2014Uneven, uncaring service. This is a food factory. Very crowded, many groups, a place to go before theater for those who are not fussy about service or food. The Greek salad was good although mass produced. This was our second and last timeSpecial Features:
- Good (but not great) foodDDeanVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went to Kellari Taverna on Saturday night. It's beautiful! Unfortunately, the food was not as good. We both ordered the prix-fixe dinner. I had the spinach pie and the orzo with clams, shrimp and scallop. It was good. My husband ordered the sea bass, which he said was tasteless. Even worse, he got a mouthful of bones in every bite. The woman sitting next to us had a similar problem with her sea bass. Our waiter was pleasant and well meaning but not terribly knowledgeable about the menu.
- Good mid-town pre-theater valuerdrdDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent pre-theater dinner here. What was especially striking to us was the alternatives they had on the prix-fixe pre-theater menu. We had an excellent salmon tartare appetizer and a fine grilled whole lavraki, the types of choices that we seldom see on mid-town pre-theater menus. All dishes were well prepared. Service was OK but nothing special, though we didn't need much help. We'll be back.
- An Elegant ConstantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/11/2014Kellari is consistently good; food, wine, service and ambiance.Special Features:
- Kellari never disappointsHappygirlVIPDined on 9/10/2014Another visit to Kellari and again we were thoroughly pleased - the fish perfectly cooked- and the prix fix menu is reasonably priced with a nice variety of selections - even the spanakopita tastes like homemade- !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down fast....Foodie280VIPDined on 9/10/2014Both the food and service has severely been downgraded during the last few months. One example is that I denied crackers to eat with my salmon tartare. Instead my option was to eat it with a fork or a thick slice of bread. Yet, leaving the restaurant I noticed there were crackers on the bar for guests to help themselves with cheese. We were also not offered a coffee refill.
- MariaDined on 9/10/2014Although there is not a scenic view, the ambiance is very pleasing to the eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back!foodloverDined on 9/9/2014We were recommended this restaurant from a local NY'er and it sure did not disappoint!! Food was amazing, service was fantastic! Our waiter was so pleasant and helped us choose our dishes. The ambiance was warm and cozy even though its a spacious restaurant. I would definitely come back to Kellari next time I am in NY!Special Features:
- Best seasood in midtownRebeccaVIPDined on 9/9/2014From the moment you walk in, you are greeted and treated like a VIP. There are at least 3 people servicing your table throughout dinner, always refilling you water or drinks without having to ask. The food is the main 5 star experience. I always get the sea bass- it is most light and could not be more fresh. I have been there for their Lobster Sundays, which is fun, but their pre-fix theater menu is a deal in NYC, and all the fish is fantastic. You cannot go wrong. They were even so kind when I checked in and tweeted I was at KellariNYC, they found our table and brought us complementary Prosecco. Very classy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- linnieVIPDined on 9/7/2014overpriced by far, service was pathetic...food was good but there are better places to go to be overcharged and wait 30 minutes for the first salad course.
- GayleeVIPDined on 9/6/2014Visited this restaurant after a broadway show. Food was delicious-had the pre-fix dinner which had a nice amount of selections. The bass was delicious. I had the scallops for an appetizer which was very good. We had great service from our waiter and nice ambiance. Definitely a great place near the Time Square area.Special Features:
- Pre TheatreMichaelEVIPDined on 9/6/2014Kellari is a bit out of place for weekend theatre goers as it is on 44th close to Fifth. However, we usually have pre-theatre dinner there particularly when our theatre is at 46th close to Sixth. The service is great. The pre-theatre menu fairly priced and the portions ample. The food excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceMarkTimeDined on 9/6/2014We showed up at 6:00 on a Saturday night for a pre-theater dinner. Despite letting our waiter know that we had theater tickets they took 45 minutes to bring out our salads! I had to inquire about our main course as well. While the restaurant was busy, it was by no means packed. There were a fair number of empty tables still by the time we left.
- Great main,but skip the spanakopitaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Food was pretty good. The spanakopita seemed a bit dry but the main proteins were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theaterCiporaDined on 9/5/2014Perfect pre theater prix fixe menu that offers more choices than most .Special Features:
- Greek food perfectionHappygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything on the menu is delicious- we had the zucchini eggplant chips- grilled octopus- seafood youvetsi the lamb chops were cooked to perfection- extensive wine list- must try the Greek wines- leave room for dessert!! Galactoboureko a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish-tastic!Zuum2zuumVIPDined on 9/2/2014Kellari does seafood right! This convenient midtown restaurant is a great spot for: 1. Freshest fish done with that simple, tasty Mediterranean style; 2. Perfectly prepared octopus, either grilled or ceviche; 3. Friendly, efficient service and; 4. Good value. Great for groups or, just the two of you.Special Features:
- Great Buisness DinnerFieldsDined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed an evening with 7 colleagues and Kellari Taverna was an ideal location. They had a nice large table for us and the noise level was moderate. Our server was attentive and we never felt rushed during our evening. We were recommended Greek wines that complimented everyone's food. The atmosphere is beautiful and elegant, ideal to impress business partners. We look forward to more dinners at this location.Special Features:
- too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2014The price of the food was outrageous just because of the mere fact that it is located in the theatre district. The food was good but not spectacular. The spanakopita was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the fresh fish that I ordered, but was not extraordinarily blown away by anything. The price makes it an unworthy investment.Special Features: