19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kellari.us/
- Phone: 2122210144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm-11:30pm; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm to midnight; Sunday: 5pm-11pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Gregory Zapantis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our goal is to make sure that your event, or a Private event at your house, is a great success. We bring our Greek hospitality to you and make sure your event runs smoothly and without a hitch.
- Private Party Facilities: Kellari offers a range from semi-private, to full buyout options. Events range from cocktail & hors d'oeuvres to seated coursed dining. Lunch, Dinner & Brunches...Baby & Bridal Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Graduation & Birthday Parties & any event that calls for a celebration.
•MAIN ROOM seats 120
•WINE ROOM 50-80 persons
•ZANTE ROOM 35-50 persons
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•FULL BUYOUT seats 220
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Schmidt 212-221-0144x
- Entertainment: Live jazz music for Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: •WINE ROOM 50-80 people
•ZANTE ROOM up to 45 people
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•DINNING ROOM seats 220
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
- Public Transit: Subway:
F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue
4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St
N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue
Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens
Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut
New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking on the street from 6:00PM - Midnight, Monday – Saturday using the New York MUNI meters. Sunday is FREE all day.
Hippodrome Garage is conveniently located 50 West 44th Street between 5th and 6th and gladly provides Kellari guests with discounts on already low daily and monthly parking rates. Night and weekend parking is cheaper.
A word from Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kellari Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
346 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)good for groups (121)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (92)great for lunch (73)romantic (66)notable wine list (50)vibrant bar scene (40)late-night find (31)great for brunch (27)hot spot (19)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Greek food that tastes like AthensShopperDined on 10/18/2014The good was serviced beautifully and delicious! The pre theater dinner is exceptional! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Very nice ambience - a lot shirt and tie crowd for lunch. Very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generosity of serviceYD13VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was wonderful, as always, but the service, particularly by Christian, was outstanding and made me feel particularly at home and cared for. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek FoodjaydeejayVIPDined on 10/12/2014We dined here prior to going to the theater, and it was a wonderful experience. From the moment we walked in, we felt welcome. They have a marvelous pre-theater menu which includes two or three courses at a special price. We opted for the two courses and shared a wonderful bottle of wine from their extensive wine list. An assortment of green and black olives was brought to the table with the bread. We began with the watercress/beet salad and spanakopitas, and as an entree we enjoyed the Yiouvetsi (orzo with seafood) and Paidakia (lamb chops char grilled to absolute perfection). Our waitress was wonderful and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the foodJustFolksVIPDined on 10/11/2014Noisy, but they treat you well. But the real treat is the excellent food - which is how it should be.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual service but ended wellSveiks123Dined on 10/11/2014We were seated, received menus but the waiter never asked if we would like drinks. I've never had that happen before. I assumed he would come back to ask about drinks but he disappeared for a long time and finally came back to take our food order. We said we would also like to order drinks in addition to the food!We ordered a bottle of wine that came promptly but 2 people in our party ordered drinks which took forever. We received our appetizers and still no drinks. I had to ask 2 people to please check on the drinks before we finally got them. The waitress who finally took care of it ended up being our waitress for the rest of the night and from then on the service was good and very attentive. Bad start but it ended up well thanks to her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theater dinner.Alison500Dined on 10/10/2014Front of house staff was great. Requested quiet table and got it. Announced when ordering that we needed to be out by 7:30. Delicious food came quickly. Wait staff was great about refilling water, clearing dishes promptly but not while some guest were still eating. Only regret was that coffee was inexplicably slow, so we made 8:00 curtain, but had to rush a bit. I'd definitely go back and recommend to others.
- Everyone LOVED their food.NYCfoodgalDined on 10/10/2014I've been several times and never had less than delicious food. Everyone I've ever brought has always agreed. Lovely ambience, always a good choice. Also very fast service if you let them know you're pre-theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once again superbGreatDined on 10/8/2014We always bring out of town folks and everyone just loves it over and over againSpecial Features:
- Love itMoonshineSailVIPDined on 10/6/2014Stopped by for a late night dinner of fisherman soup which the chef Nicolas served with great pride along with his Delish homemade lemon zest yogurt for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive dinner11803VIPDined on 10/6/2014I have been to Kellari many times over the past few years. The other evening proved to be fair in comparison to other times. The service was slow, the waiters a bit inattentive, and the food was mediocre at best. We ordered a fish for three of us. It was $99. We saw the fish prior to cooking. It didn't look like a $99 fish to me and quite frankly, after filleting, it wasn't enough for the three of us, especially my husband. Lunch is a better choice.Special Features:
- Great every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2014Had another fab lunch with a friend. Great service. Great food. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SongbirdDined on 10/4/2014Great place right near theaters. Not inexpensive but worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/3/2014My mom and I both had the grilled whole sea bass and the veggie chips to start with. The food was amazing, fresh, and delicious. The service was perfect and very attentive. Highly recommend to anyone. Great location as well; close to the Times Square Theatres for a perfect meal before or after a show.Special Features:
- Hopefully, just a bad nightElakshiVIPDined on 10/2/2014I have been to Kellari several times in the past and it has been very nice. However, last Thursday evening was terrible from start to finish. The service was inattentive, the tarama was tasteless, the octopus was dressed in so much vinegar that it was inedible (I sent it back and received the same octopus on a clean plate and had to send it back again), the Char was overcooked and tasteless. The only reason I would even consider going back was because I have been there before. I hope it was just an off night, but it was really, really off ...
- Don't Miss This GemJackirDined on 10/2/2014We were greeted warmly at the door and shown to our table -- a table for two tucked around a corner. Our waiter was very efficient and made good recommendations. We had the prixe fixe dinner. We ordered different things for appetizer, entree and dessert and split everything so we could taste each others' choices. The Scallop and Risotto appetizer was spot on. The watercress salad was a taste sensation. The lamb chops were cooked and seasoned perfectly and the sea bass was very fresh tasting. Dessert was chocolate torte and the vanilla bean custard with a phyllo crust which were heavenly. We raved about the desserts to the waiter and he brought the pastry chef out to thank us for our kind words! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- kennyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014when we ordered the main course which needed to be cooked, it was served in under 5 minutes. that meant that it was pre-cooked and kept warm. the food was not hot, so i sent it back. i popped it in a microwave in an attempt to make it seem hot and fresh. i have eaten here many times, and this was the worst meal i ever had.
- DinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014This wonderful Greek Restaurant is the perfect place to go before or after theatre. They have an incredible prix fix dinner menu with the option of purchasing two or three items. Wonderful choices and a nice variety of fish/fowl and meats. Definitely recommend the lamp chops and chicken. Delightful evening, nice find.Special Features:
- FoodieholicDined on 9/27/2014I came here once before a couple of years back during restaurant week and promptly fell in love with it. I never had a chance to come back until recently for a bachelorette party. This is the perfect place to have a beautiful dinner. The service is amazing and attentive but not overbearing. The food here is delicious. I especially recommend any of the steam fish or the lamb chops. This was the few places I went to that when you ask for medium rare, they actually cook it medium rare. I would highly recommend this place for special occasions or even a nice dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerRdr525VIPDined on 9/27/2014Dinned here many times. Food is very good however this time food was not hot enough. We should have sent it back but didn't want to be late for our show Definitely will try againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and WarmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The place is very cute. I could use some remodeling to increase its business but the food was amazing and the owner was so sweet, he treated me and my boyfriend to this amazing greek desert free of charge. The fish is incredible here!Special Features:
- Stay AWAY if you want good service!LayneDined on 9/26/2014We went to Kellari on a trip to New York because two different people reccomended it. We must have had 4 different servers come to our table to bring us different courses or bread. But NOT ONE server ever checked to see how anything was. My lamp chops were luke warm, but no one came by to ask!! I ate them because we were seeing a show and got tired on waiting to fond a server to ask. I can't believe how many servers this place had and all they do is drop things off. STAY AWAY!!!
- Will definitely return!NottoocrazyVIPDined on 9/25/2014The food was very good and attractively presented. The pre-theater menu was both varied and reasonably priced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/24/2014Food was disappointingly mediocre this time. I was disappointed.
- Poor servicebroadwaybuffDined on 9/24/2014We waited for at least 20 minutes before someone (after repeated flagging) took our drinks order. We told them we were catching a show and had to be out of there by 7:10, and our entrees arrived at 7! It was a challenge to say the least to get a second drink. I would not recommend this place if you are trying to catch a show afterwards.
- Greek theatre area restauarantShoppingpalDined on 9/24/2014Excellent service in this lively theatre area Greek restaurant. All four of us ordered prix fix meals. Although they were pretty good everything was cold when served. Great saladsSpecial Features:
- Great food and locationCathyoDined on 9/23/2014The food is delicious and is a combination of traditional Greek with some innovative twists.vegetable crisps and grilled calamari were excellent. Location in midtown is convenient for commuters. On our most recent visit, service was a little inattentive, perhaps because of how busy the place was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous seafoodcmgparsonsVIPDined on 9/23/2014We chose Kellari for pre-theater prix fixe dinner and were certainly not disappointed. While the general menu was tempting, we chose selections from the prix fixe.....lots of choices and well priced for either 2 or 3 courses. The wine list was extensive, including selections from Greece. Service was friendly, quick, & efficient. The decor was very interesting, using drapes, foliage, lighting to create smaller more intimate spaces from one cavernous room. The display of fresh whole fish on ice added to the Greek flair. I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:
- Great dining experience55555Dined on 9/23/2014This is not my first time at Kellari Taverna. My activity these days keeps me mostly out of town, so I have not been to this restaurant in a couple of years. I selected this restaurant because the food is consistently excellent and the ambiance and service match. If you enjoy fish, you should definitely try this restaurant. The couple I invited to meet me for lunch at Kellari enjoyed it so much that they indicated they now have a new location to enjoy a good lunch or dinner. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekElsasolseatsVIPDined on 9/22/2014We were late. They were lovely. Lunch was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014Pretheater dinner is wonderful, well priced with interesting diversified choices. And a great value.Special Features:
- Great!!!!eclecticfoodyDined on 9/18/2014The food is authentic Greek cousine Consistently good Very good service Chef and staff are very friendly Very pleasant environment We visit every time we pass through New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Painfully noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014I've been to Kellari at least 20 times over the last few years and have always enjoyed the food and the general ambience. However, the noise level has become unbearable and it's almost impossible to have a conversation. New York actually seems quiet when you leave the restaurant. The tables feel like they are now packed too closely together and the space itself could use some noise insulation. I may go back, but only very early or very late in the evening.
- Good food but service lackingcmd108VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food is pretty good here, but the service was very slow and they forgot an entree. No server even noticed that an entree was missing and it took several minutes before we got someone's attention. I'm not sure how this gets missed, there were only 3 of us and the person whose meal was forgotten had a full conversation with the waitress about which entree to order. Bizarre. In addition, our lunch took over 1.5 hours due to delays in getting food. This is not appropriate on a weekday.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEDIOCRE...DEB1VIPDined on 9/17/2014We have been here when it lives up to yummy Greek/Mediterranean style cooking... but as of late while everything is fresh, it is bland, so be prepared to add your own kick...Special Features:
- Good food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014We enjoyed the food and service, but will not return for business lunch due to the noise level. I do not like to shout across the table.Special Features:
- Always Love Kellari for LunchFood2LiveVIPDined on 9/17/2014This was our 7th visit and Kellari still provides us with the most delicious meal along with wonderful service. It's such a beautiful restaurant and is on a lovely street close to 5th Ave on 44th St. The lunch specials are always so delicious and plentiful. We have already made another reservation for a lunch with friend for two week from now.Special Features:
- Food was delicious.CindyGVIPDined on 9/16/2014The price fix menu was great. We were going to the theater and appreciated the quick service and delicious food. The fish is incredibly fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- get the prix fixeBennyDined on 9/16/2014The ala carte menu is quite expensive but the prix fixe is quite reasonable and, unlike many such menus, is well thought out with a wide range of excellent dishes. Fish is their thing and that too is well represented. Don't expect a quite meal as the restaurant is quite noisy. You will have a good dining experience with tasty and well thought out preparations including the deserts.Special Features:
- DisappointingRuprichtVIPDined on 9/16/2014Uneven, uncaring service. This is a food factory. Very crowded, many groups, a place to go before theater for those who are not fussy about service or food. The Greek salad was good although mass produced. This was our second and last timeSpecial Features: