19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kellari.us/
- Phone: (212) 221-0144
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm-11:30pm; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm to midnight; Sunday: 5pm-11pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Gregory Zapantis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our goal is to make sure that your event, or a Private event at your house, is a great success. We bring our Greek hospitality to you and make sure your event runs smoothly and without a hitch.
- Private Party Facilities: Kellari offers a range from semi-private, to full buyout options. Events range from cocktail & hors d'oeuvres to seated coursed dining. Lunch, Dinner & Brunches...Baby & Bridal Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Graduation & Birthday Parties & any event that calls for a celebration.
•MAIN ROOM seats 120
•WINE ROOM 50-80 persons
•ZANTE ROOM 35-50 persons
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•FULL BUYOUT seats 220
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Schmidt 212-221-0144x
- Entertainment: Live jazz music for Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: •WINE ROOM 50-80 people
•ZANTE ROOM up to 45 people
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•DINNING ROOM seats 220
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
- Public Transit: Subway:
F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue
4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St
N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue
Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens
Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut
New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking on the street from 6:00PM - Midnight, Monday – Saturday using the New York MUNI meters. Sunday is FREE all day.
Hippodrome Garage is conveniently located 50 West 44th Street between 5th and 6th and gladly provides Kellari guests with discounts on already low daily and monthly parking rates. Night and weekend parking is cheaper.
A word from Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kellari Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
361 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (145)good for groups (136)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (101)great for lunch (84)notable wine list (56)romantic (54)vibrant bar scene (40)great for brunch (33)late-night find (28)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Pleasant room, great location for pre theater Food: ---- "grilled " calamari appetizer pure rubber appeared to be boiled and forever , the dorado and salmon excellent, the greens cooked to death to the point of no flavor. Service:---- did not seem to have a waiter assigned to our table -- many faces, servers untrained, didn't understand the menu ( language issues?) and not responsive - had to ask for bread instead of leftover muffins, ( who eats a muffin with grilled fish?) --tried to remove plates before everyone was finished eating- really? in Manhattan? will try again but they need to get it togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option before or after theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/21/2014Fixed menu offers good food at reasonable prices served before and after main Broadway show times. Service is efficient and attentive to those heading out to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedB123VIPDined on 11/21/2014We have dined at Kellari Taverna many, many times but this time we found the quality of the food poor. My salmon was undercooked even though I had asked for it to be cooked medium. My husband had chicken as a main course and it was dry and rubbery. The menu has changed since the last time we were at Kellari Taverna and we preferred the old menu especially the mezes. The service was OK but someone should have noted that my dinner was left over - not a good sign for a restaurant of this supposed caliber. Will we return? Probably not.
- SylCDined on 11/19/2014Disappointed with service. Food was cold when served. Not my first time at restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Midtown standbySargeDined on 11/18/2014Kellari Taverna is a reliable lunch standby, which is a go to place for Midtown with great price fixed lunch menu. Kellari serves top Mediterranean fish selcections prepared how you like. It has a good wine selection at reasonable prices. The service is good, even during the very busy lunch time. It can get noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!tijana985Dined on 11/18/2014Food is great, ambiance fantastic, staff extra polite, even manager stopped by our table few times to check out on things. Manager looks very much like Javier Bardem though, :) It took me few seconds to register that it's not him. :) Overall great experience! This is my second time eating here, and will be back for many more meals. Great for personal or corporate. Strongly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner after showGreekwanabeDined on 11/16/2014We dined after seeing a Broadway show. The food was excellent. The wait staff good. We enjoyed our after show dinner, but I recommend Kellari Taverna anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a special dayTravelerDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I have visited this restaurant many times, we travel a distance to get here.... I have to say that this time we were not as happy with our dinner as we were in the past First the octopus was to be grilled, that is what it was described in the menu, but yet it was served like a salad with other veggies in an oil/ vinegar base....not happy! I asked the server, she said this is the dish.....really? Also the food was not hot, it was room temperature..... We travel to the Kellari taverna in DC and we have always had a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kellari TacernaArnie24Dined on 11/15/2014We have eaten at Kellari Taverna for many years. It has always been a wonderful experience. The food and service has always been exceptional. This past Saturday evening, the complete oppostite couldn't have been truer. The service was abysmal. The food was late, cold and returned a few times. the waiter did not seem to care, as he avoided servicing us for long periods of time. The time expanse between courses was quite long, and the food was luke warm. the waiter acknowledged problems and offered desert for free. Unfortunately, he never came by to offer any. In my entire dining history, I have never left a restaurant without leaving a gratuity for the wait staff. Until this past Saturday. More incredulaous was that the waiter never asked why! Our guests and my wife and I will never return. It is unfortunate as this was one of our favorite Greek restaurants in the City.
- Very Nice DiningJoePDined on 11/15/2014Received a very large for NYC table for a party of four. The waiter was very willing to discuss with the chef a "meza" platter for the whole table. It was very good and well presented. The wine list has reasonable pricing. We were so pleased we returned the following day (Sunday) for the jazz brunch which was also very good and some quality of food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theater Greek fareOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/15/2014Excellent fresh fish and fairly priced wine in a cavernous theater district spaceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Kellari for a pre-theaterktg619Dined on 11/15/2014My family and I enjoyed a yummy pre-theather dinner. We had lots to choice from on the pre-fixed menu. We will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeeDined on 11/14/2014I would definately come back to Kellari restaurant, It was an authentic restaurant and met all my expectations. I found out about Kellari in my trip to Greece where my friends and I met a server who told is of his friend that work in Kellari and we went to visit him. Great experience and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiting for a patronOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2014The staff was so kind when 1 of the 2 patrons was very late and they had to attend a Broadway show. They seated the 1 person and brought food so that once the 2nd person arrived, all that had to be ordered was the main dish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoopDined on 11/14/2014Always a great choice, food, ambience, service. Great selection of fresh fish but dinner menu has something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD PICKEZduzit1Dined on 11/13/2014I always come here pre-theatre and never leave unhappy. This time I went with a bunch of friends before seeing a show and although I wouldn't call it a leisurely meal as we were rushed for time it was delicious as usual. Everyone agreed that they would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very unfriendly, crowded.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014having booked a table for two for business appointment last lunch time had to be walking twice through the whole restaurant. ppl clearly don't have etiquette and do not know how to treat guests. none asked to take the coat. Food is very average, service lousy. clearly poorly trained cheap labor. was embarrassing to have my business partner to walk in there as I picked that place.
- JimSalVIPDined on 11/12/2014Good food, excellent service and friendly management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With some training this place has potentialTreborInQDined on 11/12/2014Three of us dined here for a work dinner. We had a problem with 1 of 3 appetizers because waitress didn't listen, we didn't complaim. Then we had a problem with 1 of 3 entrees because either waitress or kitchen forgot, the manager resolved (thank you) but waitress would not admit error or even say sorry. Then 1 of our 3 dessets had questionable quality, we didn't finish it or complain. Then we never heard from waitress again as she ignored us. Finally we had to get up to get manager a second time and to pay. I might try it for lunch if my work were paying.Special Features:
- Theater district restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014We had a pleasant dinner from their prix fix menu. Food was tasty and service was fine. Portions were very generous. I have never ordered from their full menu.
- Anniversary trip 11/8/2014LNguyenDined on 11/8/2014Husband surprised me with a trip to NYC for our anniversary. Dinner was nothing to write home about. Service was great. Our waiter was very attentive and polite. Food was a bit salty and my lamb chop dinner was suppose to be served with a mushroom risotto but they must have ran out because it was served with spinach and rice. Wish I knew at the time so I could have ordered fish instead. Lamb came out a bit more well than what I ordered and over seasoned. My husband ordered roasted chicken and it came out on the dry side and under seasoned. Had read good reviews and maybe we came on an off night. I have had better Greek food in my travels. Okay if you have not had better Greek food to compare it to.Special Features:
- I love this restaurantrjmjrDined on 11/8/2014Every time we come to New York we make sure to stop at Kellari. They have a sign at the door that says "enter as friends, leave as friends" They live by that and we'll keep going back.Special Features:
- Pre Theatre DinnerLoriFromDCDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful, vibrant restaurant, with nice ambience. Bread is phenomenal. Nice choice for a pre-theatre dinner menu that is reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Beautiful place!RobWVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great atmosphere; good food, and very attentive waitstaff. Always busy and fast paced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!TsompanidisDined on 11/8/2014Return visit to this Greek restaurant. Amazing octopus and appetizers. Fresh fish and terrific lamb chops finished with Greek coffee and dessert! Friendly staff from the minute you walk in. Don't miss an opportunity to try it!Special Features:
- My favorite GreekTommyFoodieDined on 11/7/2014I have been a regular at Kellari for special occasions. For family or meeting a special person for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014I like this restaurant very much for its fresh fish and yogurt with honey for dessert The wine and beer list are excellent and the ambiance is nice. Wait staff is friendly, but last night, a little slow at first. as soon as we told them we had to attend a play, they were fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for pre-theaterTonyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Restaurant opens early for dinner so there are many options for dining, whether post-museum, pre-theater, essentially like a late lunch, etc. The fish is outstanding - always very fresh, well-prepared. The Mediterranean specialties are excellent - the hummus is great, the phyllo-dough appetizers also excellent. Service is friendly and relaxed. The fixed price meal is a very good deal for 2 courses.Special Features:
- Best fried veggie chips!Wendycakes1Dined on 11/6/2014My husband and I have been coming here for years. We love to sit at the bar, have a glass of wine and enjoy the communal cheese board. I brought a girlfriend this time and had been raving about the zucchini/eggplant lightly battered chips with tzatziki sauce. They did not disappoint. My friend thought they were fabulous...as was the rest of our experience. I'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gerryVIPDined on 11/3/2014Convenient Greek seafood restaurant near the theater district. The pre-, post-theater prix fixe dinner is a great bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Diningspartan83Dined on 11/1/2014I went to this restaurant based on a recommendation of a place close to the play we were attending. The service was lousy, the food came out cold and over cooked. We arrived 2 hours before needing to leave for the play and barely got out of there to make the show. People that came in after us and sat next to us received their food before we did and was a clear flag there was a problem. Who knew it was so hard to do salmon and chicken. Would not recommend.
- NYC GreekNansulitaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Review may be a little unfair since my husband is Greek American and his family's cooking is fantastic. Hard to come up to that standard. So the Egg Lemon Soup was superior but the other parts of the meals were okay but not outstanding. Service was quick and catered to the theater crowd - so quick that the meal was not savored but rushed. We were not going to the theater and had said so, but the appetizer and then the entrée were rushed out instantaneously and much too rushed. All in all enjoyable but not like home!
- Service lackingGramercyCatDined on 10/30/2014Business dinner with my bosses, food was good, but hardly any vegetarian options. The service was okay, didn't really help with menu selections. Took too long to get the check when asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean SplendorJWeisbrodVIPDined on 10/30/2014Kellari Taverna is the quintessential Mediterranean restaurant. Offering a large variety of fish and other delicacies, the menu has something for everyone. Every meal is expertly prepared, seasoned and cooked to perfection, and then served by a team of professional servers whose sole purpose is to make your dinner enjoyable. My wife and I chose a whole "Branzino" called "Lavraki" here. After showing us the whole fresh fish, it was split, seasoned lightly with lemon and capers and then grilled. It was absolutely delicious. Our friends had lamb chops and sea bass and both agreed the meals were scrumptious. They have a great dessert menu including a plate of fresh fruit to top off a great dining experience.Special Features:
- TiffanyVIPDined on 10/30/2014I went for lunch with a business friend. The service felt very rushed. The waiter asked if we were ready to order almost as soon as we received the menu and then came back again in no time at all. The food arrived in about 4 to 5 minutes. Had crab cake on a brioche. Wondering if it was precooked to arrive that quickly. Tasted a little dry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY GirlOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014A very pleasant experience! The service was excellent! We were celebrating our friend's birthday and it was so nice to get a complimentary bottle of Martini and Rossi champagne. The restaurant was crowded but I never felt like it had a negative impactSpecial Features:
- So consistently GoodDuckyVIPDined on 10/29/2014We have never been disappointed at Kellari. It is a great place for pre/post theatre dining. The pre-fixe menu offers a wonderful selection of their menu items and they are all prepared with wonderful flavors and beautiful presentation. The wait staff wis very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Always OUTSTANDINGOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/27/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. Fish is prepared to perfection. We had a whole fish grilled for 4.Special Features:
- Enjoyable atmosphereJennyroxDined on 10/26/2014We really enjoyed the atmosphere at this restaurant! The food was good, it came out extremely quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem near times squaregingyDined on 10/26/2014What a restaurant. I have been the3re a number of times for dinner and it was always a wonderful expereince. This time I brought my cousin from At;anta for brunch; what a deal. Unlimited drinks, choice of two courses with many choices, and the food was great. The place is so pretty and has a wonderful vibe.Special Features: