19 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kellari.us/
- Phone: 2122210144x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm-11:30pm; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm to midnight; Sunday: 5pm-11pm.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am-4:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Gregory Zapantis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our goal is to make sure that your event, or a Private event at your house, is a great success. We bring our Greek hospitality to you and make sure your event runs smoothly and without a hitch.
- Private Party Facilities: Kellari offers a range from semi-private, to full buyout options. Events range from cocktail & hors d'oeuvres to seated coursed dining. Lunch, Dinner & Brunches...Baby & Bridal Showers, Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Graduation & Birthday Parties & any event that calls for a celebration.
•MAIN ROOM seats 120
•WINE ROOM 50-80 persons
•ZANTE ROOM 35-50 persons
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•FULL BUYOUT seats 220
- Private Party Contact: Vivian Schmidt 212-221-0144x
- Entertainment: Live jazz music for Sunday brunch.
- Special Events: •WINE ROOM 50-80 people
•ZANTE ROOM up to 45 people
•BAR LOUNGE 10-50 persons
•DINNING ROOM seats 220
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves
- Public Transit: Subway:
F, D, B, M; 42nd St. - 6th Avenue
4, 5, 6, 7; Grand Central St
N, R, Q; 42nd St. - 7th Avenue
Long Island Railroad; Long Island and Queens
Metro-North; Westchester, Putnam & Connecticut
New Jersey Transit; New Jersey, New York and Philadelphia
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking on the street from 6:00PM - Midnight, Monday – Saturday using the New York MUNI meters. Sunday is FREE all day.
Hippodrome Garage is conveniently located 50 West 44th Street between 5th and 6th and gladly provides Kellari guests with discounts on already low daily and monthly parking rates. Night and weekend parking is cheaper.
A word from Kellari Taverna
Kellari Taverna is located in the heart of New York City, three blocks from Grand Central Station, Times Square and the Theater District. The dining room decor evokes a subterranean wine cellar designed with contemporary elegance. Kellari features the traditional Greek taverna specialties, such as grilled whole fish, prime chops and meats, and an eclectic selection of contemporary Hellenic savory appetizers ("mezedes") created by our Corporate Executive Chef, Gregory Zapantis. Our menu also features a variety of Greek cheeses, baked or flamed 'Saganaki' style, as well as a selection of Raw and Marinated seafood. The Kellari dessert menu includes innovative specialties such mastiha pudding and warm sokolata with halva ice cream as as well as traditional favorites such as Baklava and Galaktoboureko. Kellari Taverna offers an extensive international wine list featuring the largest selection of Greek wines available in any U.S. restaurant. About 24 wines are available by-the-glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kellari Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
405 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)good for groups (120)special occasion (119)neighborhood gem (112)great for lunch (95)romantic (76)vibrant bar scene (51)notable wine list (47)great for brunch (37)hot spot (29)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great Greek!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2014We were very pleased with the quality of food and service at Kellari! Also very reasonably priced for Manhattan, particularly as it is about 3 blocks from Times Square. Service was prompt and friendly, decor and atmosphere very pleasant. The pre-theater prix fixe menu was a great value. Food arrived promptly, but we were not rushed as we savored the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here many times...EnjoygreateatsDined on 8/23/2014...but this time was not as good. We've enjoyed this restaurant before, but this time our entree was very bland. On previous visits the great flavors were what kept us coming back. And, they were out of a Greek white wine that we ordered!
- Good food and nice atmosphereSuzanneDined on 8/22/2014I was impressed by the ambiance of the restaurant. The food and service were not far behind. Would go again.Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Food is fresh & delicious, service precise and vibe is contageous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek NYCHollyPDined on 8/20/2014Excellent & attentive staff. The plate of olives, hummus, & radishes and freshly baked bread was wonderful. The food was fresh, well prepared with a nice presentation. Truly delicious!Special Features:
- Great experience pre-theatre diningTouchbaseVIPDined on 8/20/2014We chose Kallari for their good reviews and close proximity to the Belasco Theatre. Having had so-so dinners around Times Square, I did have low expectations. However, the food was outstanding, from appetizers to dessert. We ordered off the pre-theater menu. I enjoyed my salmon tartar and my sea bass was simple and fresh, perfectly cooked; my husband said his scallop appetizer was outstanding and he loved his cod. I matched my choices with a wine pairing. I wasn't expecting full pours, but that is what I received. I was personally not enchanted with the wine choices, although the pairing with the baklava dessert was good. The service was top notch, so much so that we commented all through our meal how great it was.Special Features:
- was great but just too noisycjr2VIPDined on 8/20/2014A reunion of 5 people who only see each other once a year wanted to chat but even tho we had a round table in the back room, the noise was such we could only hear the person next to us ....food and drink and service were fine, but it was hard to communicate....maybe the vaulted ceiling not conducive to conversation...and then a group of 8 males arrived and talking was a chore... too bad...otherwise no complaints...Special Features:
- Grat fresh fishPFB1668VIPDined on 8/19/2014Great for fresh fish from Mediterranean. They will show you the fish table side before preparing. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful pre theater menueOliaVIPDined on 8/19/2014It's very convenient to have a fun place neat Times square with a flavor of neighborhood happening place. Food was excellent and really tastfulSpecial Features:
- ExcellentcaroleDined on 8/19/2014Great experience great waitress Zelia. Sea bass and lamp chops all very good. Scallops with risotto and spinach pie all excellent. Shared the baklava outstanding. Nice atmosphere and close to the theater. Came with a pre theater menu. Would for sure returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst Service!!SasaDined on 8/18/2014Food was good but The waiter tried to embarrasses me in front of my girlfriend!!! He was so mean
- Off day?FoodsterVIPDined on 8/18/2014I've eaten at Kellari many times and recently had a less than great experience. Food was average (grilled sardines, salads, and crab cake with soggy fries) and service by a robotic waiter was unpleasant. I appreciate quick service especially at a business lunch or pre-theater dinner, but the food was delivered so quickly that it made me wonder if it was pre made. When we declined dessert and coffee the check was already printed! "Here's your hat! What's your hurry?" Will try again and hope it was just an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ran out of ingredients, but goodsrn2126Dined on 8/17/2014They ran out of both kinds of chicken and did not have much alternatives for a no fish eater. Others liked the salmon though.
- Wonderfull food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The food was so good and the fish was perfect!!! Will definitely be back next time I come to the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh!LoveroffoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Didn't know that you could find such good Greek Food in Manhattan. Our dinner (fresh fish) was grilled to perfection, the wait staff was friendly and helpful with our decision. Overall, great meal. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseLuv2dineDined on 8/15/2014Normally we always end up in a bad place but this restaurant was a wonderful experience. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was lively, and it was beautifully decorated. Definitely recommend this restaurant when you're in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, ok service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Thanks to the diners at the table next to ours, we avoided some of the Restaurant Week trap dishes and had an amazing meal. All of the seafood was fresh and cooked beautifully, lamb was perfect all the way through and the lemon potatoes paired well. Dessert was phenomenal and the carafes are a great deal if you want wine. Our one problem with the meal was service which was surprisingly slow. The server never introduced himself, was hard to find throughout the night, and never stuck around long enough for us to ask questions. The other servers ended up helping us more than our own and the busers were prompt and helpful. I think we just got a dud. Overall, we would definitely recommend this place and come here again for the food.Special Features:
- Best menu for restaurant weekreviewerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was fabulous and generous. Best selection and largest portions---also tastiest of any restaurants dined at during summer restaurant week. Service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite Greek!TommyFoodieDined on 8/15/2014There are many Greek restaurants in this city. But Kellari is the only one I patronize. I have been there many times, over and over again. Brunch or dinner, the dining experience is outstanding!Special Features:
- Reliably wonderfulSherylVIPDined on 8/14/2014Kellari is great - every visit. The business lunch prixe fix is a terrific deal. Spanakopita is flaky and good, and the sea bass was scrumptious. Honey-coated baklava completed the meal. Be sure to sign up for the birthday club - complimentary bottle of bubbly during your birthday month!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good place for lunchRunToEatDined on 8/14/2014I have dined at Kellari a number of times, predominately for business lunches. It is consistently good. Of special note is the three course lunch menu, which is reasonably priced and there are a number of options to choose from for each course. I enjoy the grilled calamari (not fried), usually the fish of the day, and the yogurt cake. They serve a nice bread with hummus, radishes and black olives, which is a nice touch. The service is attentive and you can get in and out for lunch in a reasonable period of time. The only negative is that it can get a bit loud during lunch when the restaurant is crowded, which is almost always. Also, don't go for lunch without a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good this timeBackdocVIPDined on 8/13/2014My wife went with a friend. Not a great table and food lackluster and served a bit cold as compared to several other times. Only the wine was delicious. Very disappointed.
- DeliciousblumvaleDined on 8/13/2014We had very good service, my friend and I. We were excited to try their restaurant week because we find this restaurant to be a bit pricey. The food was fantastic. I really enjoyed my orzo with seafood. And my friend loved her fish dish. Dessert was great. For the special, we were very happy.Special Features:
- Consistently greatBillNYCVIPDined on 8/12/2014Kellari is my "go to" place for business lunches because the food is delicious and the service is prompt and very good. My clients and associates always love it Also very good for pre-theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Monday dinnerSkittlesDined on 8/11/2014Two of us enjoyed an early dinner on a Monday. The entire experience was great - food was outstanding, wine was priced right, wasn't so dark I couldn't see the menu, people watching was fun and the pace was not too fast. I love the display of fish on ice near the kitchen. It is a testament to how fresh the food that comes to you is. I've never had a bad meal at Kellari.Special Features:
- The food is divineSapphireBelleDined on 8/11/2014Excellent menu selection--food is always prepared to perfection. The ambience is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek FoodrobertfoodieDined on 8/11/2014Everyone in our group enjoyed their appetizers, meals and desserts. Excellent seafood and lamb!Special Features:
- Food great...but....sensitiveDined on 8/11/2014We made a reservation. We, as two women, were seated in the back in a dark place. The restaurant was EMPTY. It was a less that positive experience. Be assertive, and you'll enjoy it more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater ExcellanceBerwinDined on 8/10/2014One of the better pre/post theater menus in the area. Good selection of well prepared choice's in a pleasant surrounding.Special Features:
- Delicious Pre-Theatre DinnerKevDanJamVIPDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the prix fixe before seeing a show. Great pre-theatre option. The whole grilled sea bass was especially delicious.Special Features:
- Always excellentYankeefanDined on 8/9/2014Kellari has never disappointed us. The prix-fixe menu is very good value; I always get fish, and the quality is always very high. The Lavraki (Mediterranean Sea Bass) is always fresh, and simply prepared. The restaurant is nicely laid out, creating different spaces tied together with tasteful decor, so that on subsequent visits you almost feel as if you're in a new restaurant.Special Features:
- Opa KellarigratefulDined on 8/8/2014A beautiful Greek taverna. Excellent food, authentically prepared. The freshest ingredients, including fish and seafood. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old-world class, modern fine diningifran27Dined on 8/8/2014A very elegant, very old-world style restaurant. Waiters are very friendly and attentive. A bit louder inside than you'd expect it to be. The roasted herbed natural chicken was incredibly delicious. Seafood is very fresh and can be bought by the pound. The prices may seem high, but considering their target demographic(businesswomen and men), the prices seem fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh! Fresh ! Fresh!KalejokaDined on 8/7/2014This is the second time I ate at Kellari Taverana and again I found the service staff warm and accomodating and the fish and grilled vegetables fresh and delicious. This time I sat in front of the fresh fish display and practically picked out my own meal. On both occasions, the table shared dishes which was a good way to try a variety of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentGooberDined on 8/7/2014I have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:
- Happy DinersOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/7/2014Excellent food & service. Sal near the open area displaying fish, vegetables, etc. Enjoyed seeing all the items displayed. Will certainly will return and recommend. Although it was restaurant week, menu was excellent, many choices, and gracious well trained staff.Special Features:
- Does not disappointTheEasyKill30Dined on 8/6/2014I have dined at Kellari many times - for restaurant week, for pre-theater dining, and for "just because." It never fails to disappoint in terms of food and service. This last dining experience was for restaurant week and my out of town guests were very pleased with the meal. The portion sizes and number of menu choices were surprisingly large and numerous given the fact that it was restaurant week. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater mealeat2wellVIPDined on 8/6/2014We had the benefit of a 3-course bargain for restaurant week. Fish preparations for the mains were excellent---the kitchen has its timing down. Service was attentive and aware of our schedule. Of all the dishes we had, only one was just "good".Special Features:
- davidVIPDined on 8/5/2014Food and service have always been enjoyable when dining here. Sometimes the noise level can be too 'energetic', but the overall interior decor is quite pleasant. The prix fixe lunch is an especially good value!Special Features:
- Food is excellentRobWVIPDined on 8/5/2014Love the food but it gets very corwded, especially pre-theatre dining times. Decor is terrific and waitstaff is friendly. It does get a little slow when they are busy so be prepared to wait for attention. Wait is worth it though...food is wonderful, especially seafood.