72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: 2129473636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
594 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (373)fit for foodies (256)good for groups (180)romantic (168)neighborhood gem (152)notable wine list (145)hot spot (79)vibrant bar scene (71)great for lunch (67)late-night find (32)great for outdoor dining (26)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (11)scenic view (9)Show More
- Old Line Steak HousedinerDined on 10/27/2014Keens is just what the review says. The meat was first rate. Either you like this type of place or you do not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014The food was average. The meat was ok but nothing special. The salad small and tasteless. For sure not palace to recommend.
- Just wow!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014MY husband and I came here to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were definitely not disappointed. Food atmosphere wine service was all excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014It was the best steak I have ever eaten. Ruth Chris has a wonderful steak but I must say that Keen's was great, cooked the perfection. The service was the best, there was someone there anytime we wanted anything. Our surrounds from the pipes on the cealing to the dark wood panel walls , it has a warm , welcoming feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014My wife & I have been here twice, both times have been great. Our table was in a great location the first time, the second it was okay, but not as good. We had the steak for two with cream spinach & french fries potatoes it was really terrific. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a great steak dinner. The service was attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodKeliaqtDined on 10/25/2014My siblings and I took my parents for their 40th wedding anniversary. Everyone really enjoyed their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksiEATVIPDined on 10/25/2014Can't go wrong when coming here for steaks. Ordered the maine lobster and filet mignon. Both were great! Very tender, juicy and perfectly medium rare.
- Not what expectedRobertDined on 10/25/2014I had really looked forward to this restaurant. It was not what I had expected. The server was not interacting and not listening. The food was nothing that stood out. Meat was okey since it was tender but kind of tasteless. Ambience and the historic feeling was the best. Won't go again.Special Features:
- Great Chop HouseGG4FoodDined on 10/24/2014Just had dinner on the third floor Oct 24. Luke our server was outstanding. Started with a fantastic General Omar Bradley cocktail. My buddies T-Bone was outstanding. I had Filet Mignon and Lobster both of which were to die for. They actually crack the lobster and you do not have to deal with the shell. The mushroom and bean side dishes were outstanding. Wine list was excellent. You just sip a little and eat a little and have a superb eating experience. The cognac list was impressive. New York cheesecake was light which after all that excellent red meat was just what was needed. Lower two floors a little bit noisier and more animated but everyone having a great time. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeFLKS444Dined on 10/24/2014We went here a year ago with friends and loved the atmosphere. Came back this time with a couple who prefer the basics over stuffy places and complicated ingredients lists. They LOVED it. My husband said he had the best mutton of his life. I love the history of the place.Special Features:
- Excellent birthday dinnerWiggyloveVIPDined on 10/24/2014Lovely ambience. Spacious and charming. Not rushed at all. Sat in room on the second floor. Classic well-prepared food. Generous portions. We left very happy. Not cheap but great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Mutton Chop!!!ElsiebbDined on 10/23/2014I am a die hard Oeter Luger fan but someone suggested I try Keens and it was superb. I went for the famous mutton chop and it was perfect, albeit huge! Two of us had them and we could easily have shared one. The mutton was tender and the fat was crispy, it was perfectly seasoned and the mint sauce was light, not overbearing. Oh, and the hash Browns were divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigCityDined on 10/23/2014Great Steakhouse. I highly recommend it! Great atmosphere, food, service. Met and exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- A do overOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Keen's was great on every level. My steak was perfectly prepared and split between my daughter and I. There was no attitude about splitting dishes either. Our service was spot on. Great wine list, and re-corked our remaining bottle. The coffee ice-cream dessert was spectacular. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Keen's is REALLY Special!WildswanDelawareVIPDined on 10/23/2014Celebrated our anniversary in this romantic setting, a favorite dining spot in NYC... couldn't have chosen better! Complimentary Champagne whetted our appetites. She thoroughly enjoyed her light salad starter and delicious 8 ounce filet...perfectly prepared, with mushroom sauce...mmm! I opted for the lobster bisque and a personal standby, Keen's Cobb salad topped with steak slices (medium rare, of course), shrimp, and chicken... salads just don't get better! We 'passed' on dessert this time (...really tempting choices, though!) and finished with excellent Keen's coffees. We had reserved on Open Table, so were warmly welcomed and seated promptly in a suitably romantic, cozy booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- touristDined on 10/22/2014STEAKS do not get any better!! Probabably why the restaurant has been there 80 yearsSpecial Features:
- Old school charm!TiasabeDined on 10/22/2014My niece and I recently ate at Keens before going to the theatre. We enjoyed the look and feel of the place. The food was excellent and the service efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC TripSGreviewsDined on 10/22/2014This is an awesome restaurant. The history behind the pipes is very interesting, and the building and decor unique. This was our last night in NYC, and wanted a special dinner, Keen's was the perfect choice. We had the porterhouse for two, wedge salad, boiled red potatoes, and mushrooms. It was fabulous!Special Features:
- Meat Eaters DelightdwizzleDined on 10/21/2014The steaks were tinder and by far the best I have ever had. The sides are good but pale in comparison to the exceptional meat. The service was fantastic and polite. A good, old fashioned Steakhouse with no frills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at KeensLocalVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great dinner experience, and one of my top steak spots now. Excellent! Food, service and atmosphere were right on the mark.Special Features:
- Excellent Prime RibCeliaPunkDined on 10/20/2014The mutton and the prime rib were really good, outstanding. You could do better with the t-bone steak, it was good, but not as good as the one you can get in Wolfgan's or Peter Lugers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great T-BoneFdoggDined on 10/20/2014The T-Bone was delicious. I highly recommend the peppercorn sauce. I do not recommend the oyster Rockefeller. The management was nice enough top take them off of our bill. The Keen's Ale beer a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Believe the hypeEnglishmaninNYDined on 10/20/2014The vast majority of reviews extol the great food, ambience and service in this restaurant and they are all correct. My wife and I were extremely pleased with the standard of food and service we enjoyed on our visit to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallMi3008Dined on 10/20/2014Our table was directly in front of the entrance and we were freezing. The service was friendly and intent. The food was very good and good presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCrashHelmetPeteDined on 10/18/2014Absolutely love Keens. One of the best spots in NYC. Get the mutton.Special Features:
- Amazing all the way aroundScootyDined on 10/18/2014Can not express how impressed I was from the service to the champagine that was sent over for our anneversary. The whole staff was potential and kind. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertDined on 10/17/2014The bar was extremely visited, more than 50 people. It was difficult to find a place, but amazing as well to see NY culture. The restaurant was perfect, prime rib and service as well. We were very happy to finish with birthday wishes an candle for desert. And of course impressed by the special room with the pipes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experiencepjmdvmDined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was busy-both the bar and the dining area. Wonderfully historic ambiance - great food, great service. Pretty expensive, but to be expected. Iceberg lettuce wedge with bacon and tomatoes is wonderful, but big enough for two to share. Chilean sea bass cooked to perfection. Others had prime porter house for two medium and 8oz primer filet mignon well.. sides are for two people. We split mashed potatoes and vegetables for 4 people and it was a good amount with the bread that came with the meal. Pumpkin pie cheesecake for dessert was a nice ending to the meal. This place is beautifully decorated and a piece of NYC history. Love the painting by Alexander Pope in the Lambs room.Special Features:
- traditional steak house yumminessMAWLDined on 10/17/2014I love a traditional steak house and Keens delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MezzyDined on 10/17/2014the steaks were fabulous the service superb and can't say enough goods things about our time there. We ere ^ people going to theater 14blocks away. eat with no rush and made the curtain MezzySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very satisfying visitEleniODined on 10/16/2014The day's special provides a nice alternative to Keens famous meat entrees. Keeping in mind that these are usually outsize, customers should choose prudently: the legendary mutton chop fully deserves its name but only giants can have something more than one vegetable side dish to go with it. The wine list is also fine and plentiful and the whisky selection is extraordinary.Special Features:
- Great foodLove2DineDined on 10/15/2014Fillet was yummy, lovely crust and melt in your mouth tender, Arctic char delicious, loved the lobster salad! Fantastic American steak house!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014The food was outstanding. The steak was so perfectly medium rare. Nice atmosphere, not too loud, not too official, we really enjoyed our food and conversation there.Special Features:
- The Food Vs. The PlaceLIATDined on 10/12/2014Keen is such an amazing and unique spot in NYC. . It's old school- old new york without being too flashy. It's really classy and super interesting spot. The service was excellent: Drinks: great selection. Complementary bread and fresh cut vegetables: Always nice to have. The appetizers: Not so much of a selection, but both tomato, onion mozzarella and caesar salad were great. Steaks: Overall, I thought my Keen's experience is going to challenge all other best NYC Steak spots (Peter logger, strip house, sparks, and of course Wolfgang). However, my exceptions failed: Steaks are just OK. Nothing to remember. keeping that in mind--you should still go for the experience-but don't go for best NYC Steak.Special Features:
- KazzabartlettKazzabartlettDined on 10/12/2014Excellent food and service, booked in England before arriving in New York via open table . Bar men downstairs unfriendly but upstairs excellent! loved my cheesecake with a candle in for my birthday!Special Features:
- Lack of informationGazzaDined on 10/11/2014The overall experience was bad because we chose badly. We chose the rib of beef based on what we would have expected in the uk. However we were unprepared for the size of the steaks which were massve. The menu failed to state the size of the steak and we did not realise that we could have shared a main course. Having paid $55 dollars each for our steak neither of us could eat more than a quarter - such a waste! We would strongly suggest that the menu states the size of the steaks and that sharing a main course is an option. We accept that we did not ask the right questions, we certainly did from then on!Special Features:
- tacotomVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great food in an old New York classic steak house. Only complaint we had was b the noise level. Service was very good for our group of 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerSwissyDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent even if the meat was cut a little thick. We ordered a chateaubriand and bernaise which could be a bit better, she should be more creamy and smell more like tarragon.Negative was only that it was cold and we felt the wind when the door openedSpecial Features:
- NiceGourmetVacayDined on 10/11/2014Ambiance, great. So much history on the walls & ceiling! Noise level, med/high. Food was very good but super expensive. I really have a hard time paying 10.00 for mashed potatoes! Some things just need to be included. Steak houses need to change their century-long love affair with ala-carte. However: the Chateaubriand was exquisite.Special Features:
- Bien!DrouhardDined on 10/10/2014Nourriture très bonne. Un seul bémol: la climatisation qui va beaucoup TROP fort!!!! Nous avions vraiment FROID!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.