72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: 2129473636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
615 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (385)fit for foodies (217)good for groups (181)romantic (162)neighborhood gem (140)notable wine list (131)great for lunch (84)hot spot (64)vibrant bar scene (59)late-night find (35)kid-friendly (21)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (18)scenic view (15)Show More
- Great meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Really nice place, really good food and nice people! I liked their smoke pipes in the roof :)Special Features:
- Loved it!AngelkayDined on 8/27/2014Great ambience, love the fact that the restaurant has been around for so long. The pipe collection was neat. Food was outstanding. Steak was perfectly cooked, roasted veggies were a terrific side. My husband loved the roasted chicken. Lots of business diners here, so the noise level was energetic but not annoying. Thoroughly enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Fantastic restaurant. I felt like I was transported back in time. The food and service were excellent Had a business dinner there and everyone raved about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The steak was delicious The service was really great. A place one must go for great steak and a wonderful experience in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I'm from the UK and my boss comes here every time he's in NYC. My first ever visit to NYC so took his recommendation. It's not cheap but the food quality is excellent. I chose the New York Prime Sirloin. The size of the meat portions are huge so you need to choose your sides carefully. Between 4 we had market vegetables, sautéed mushrooms and boiled potatoes sautéed in parsley butter. More than enough. Notice the omission of a starter although was very tempted with the crab cakes. Everything was cooked to perfection and waiting time wasn't long. Probably a good idea to book a few days before visiting as I wanted 8pm and didn't get in until 9:30pm booking on the same day. Would well recommend this place if you're serious about meat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodValeria8Dined on 8/25/2014The best meat I have ever eaten, my filet was amazing and my lime key pie also. The price is high.Special Features:
- A Blast from the Past!!RosieVIPDined on 8/25/2014We had been to Keens many years ago. So we chose it over other NYC steakhouses for a birthday celebration and were not disappointed. We were seated upstairs at a corner table, had excellent service, and a lovely evening. My only suggestion would be to include a couple of vegetarian options on the menu.Special Features:
- LA CARNE ES EXTRAORDINARIAroqueDined on 8/25/2014FUIMOS 4 PERSONAS A LA HORA DEL ALMUERZO Y COMIMOS PORTERHOUSE Y CHATEAUBRIAND Y LAS DOS ESTABAN EXCELENTES,MUY SUPERIOR AL SERVICIO QUE ES ALGO DEFICIENTE Y POR DEBEJO DE LA CALIDAD DEL RESTAURANTE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Oysters were as small as clams. Shrimp and lobster were ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High decibels can spoil an eveningDreamerDined on 8/24/2014The kind of steak one cannot forget. It was cooked to such perfection that, if it would not be considered bad manners, I would walk into the kitchen and hand a fifty dollar bill to the person that grilled our steaks. Service at our table also left nothing to be desired. If it wasn't for noisy and bad-mannered neighbors, it would be the ideal evening out. However, I understand the necessity of crowding tables; it can make the difference between a successful enterprise and one that loses money. In an ideal world the first floor, accessible also by an elevator, would be reserved for people who would pay a premium for more space around their table and a guarantee that their neighbors would be as discreet as themselves.Special Features:
- Mutton was great.muttonwasgreatDined on 8/22/2014Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great. Mutton was great.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I've never had such delicious Lamb in my life. Along with the sides and crazy-delicious chopped salad it was a fantastic experience! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Absolutely worth every penny. All I have left to say is...MUTTON CHOPS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceDogloverDined on 8/22/2014Our first time at Keens and it was an overall fine experience. The king cut prime rib was tender, flavorful and huge. The vegetables were also excellent and plentiful as were the deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelieveable SteaksBlackForest123Dined on 8/21/2014Visiting Keens is an unforgettable experience. You would never expect location like this when entering the small black door. The atmosphere and decoration (milions of piepes and historical pictures) is amazing. The steaks are No. 1 quality and the preperation is extremly professional. You should not miss this when visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CD1507Dined on 8/21/2014Fabulous food and service. Historic place to discover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better business lunchjayjetDined on 8/20/2014There is no better place to have a business lunch in NYC. Like walking back in time. Great steaks, salads and desert was out of this world.
- Amazing mutton chop!dimi88Dined on 8/19/2014Great restaurant with a nice atmosphere. Food and service was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still incredibleBusinessLunchVIPDined on 8/19/2014Keens remains a popular NY institution for a reason - the quality of the service and food is excellent. The bar has long been one of my favorites with well-made drinks, professional bartenders, (trivia), and a tremendous selection of whiskies. The restaurant has NY Steakhouse service and the food walks the line between steakhouse and Fine Dining as well as any in the City. Bravo! The Mutton Chop is why people come - and you should absolutely try it if you've never been or haven't in a few years - but the balance of their menu, particularly the seafood, is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the mutton chop.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I went for the mutton chop, and was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TooTall89Dined on 8/18/2014Our dinner for four was excellent. My T-bone steak was cooked to my liking and the flavor of the rub was excellent. The next time we visit NYC, we are going to have dinner at Keen's again.Special Features:
- A New York ClassicTakiVIPDined on 8/18/2014We will looking forward to a return visit. Not too noisy either. Better than many of the others we have tried in NYC before.Special Features:
- Great Service - Good FoodMikeCDined on 8/18/2014My wife had the 8 oz. filet. It was very good and cooked to perfection. I had the double lamb chops. The first one was slightly over cooked, but was very good. The mint jelly was super. The second lamb chop was all fat an inedible. I would have sent it back, but the first lamb chop was enough so I did not complain. The sauteed spinach was good, but not as good as my wife's home recipe. Overall ambiance is outstanding. The other meat portions were much too large for us so we went for the smaller menu offerings.Special Features:
- Best Steak in New YorkcaptainandyDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I went to Keenes for our 25th Anniversary and arrived a little early for our reservation. We spent some time at the bar and met wonderful people and the bartender was entertaining and informative. The drinks ended up being complementary for the occasion which came as a surprise at the end of the night. Our waiter was fantastic very knowledgeable about wines and answered all the questions my husband had to ask(there were a lot). the atmosphere was that of an old english pub but the food was truly out of this world. We had the porterhouse steak for two and you could cut it with a fork.Special Features:
- A real treatBeefeaterDined on 8/17/2014We started at the bar, each with a Manhattan cocktail--superb drinks and the bartender was friendly and engaging. Our meal of Porterhouse for two was wonderful, as were the side dishes; all washed down with an excellent, and good-value Californian Cabernet. Well worth the visit and would happily return if the chance ever arises.Special Features:
- Delicious!!KikiMacDined on 8/15/2014Great service.. Great steak.. Had a great time, the decor is very interesting and cozy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary!Carnivore3189Dined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed our anniversary at this gem and were far from disappointed. Everything at Keen's is done with style and sophistication, but doesn't loose sight if the important things, like a quality cut of meat grilled to medium rare perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATishay14Dined on 8/15/2014Fantastic steaks, and great service! Overall I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a special night out!Special Features:
- quality food and servicegwh195Dined on 8/15/2014The whole experience was fantastic. The quality of the food being excellent try the porterhouse steak easily big enough for three maybe four not so big eaters at a push. Overall our party of four had a great experienceSpecial Features:
- Sad to SayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014I first dined at Keens in the early 70s. How many times have I eaten there? Well, over twenty at least. Keens has never disappointed, well, should I say, up until recently. Last Friday I took a friend. He ordered the King Prime Rib. It was not fit for a King in size or delectability. He told me, and he knows, that it was a “six” on a scale of ten. The sides were spinach-- which had nothing on Birds Eye and red-jacket potatoes which were creamy enough no buttery or parsley flavor and actually had an off-taste. The rolls that were placed on the tables were an inauspicious start-- stale and were replaced with satisfactory. The glass of a South African red was outstanding and was the highlight. Sad to say it, but I won’t be back.
- This sliced?AbbyDined on 8/14/2014Ordered "English cut" Prime rib, described as 'the same as the big prime rib, but off the bone and a bit smaller.' But the serving was two thin slices instead of the anticipated half-inch plus mini slabSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014One could not fault the service of our waiter, Spence. He was very professional & attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great steaks!ChicagoBobDined on 8/13/2014Outstanding steaks, great food. I prefer a slightly quieter setting for this type of meal, but defintely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelysizzleVIPDined on 8/12/2014keens was quite nice. ordered the chateaubriand, absolutely ordinary. wine was delicious, the celery/carrot plate at the beginning was absolutely weird, and the hash brown was surprisingly delicious! service was very good, very friendly, mostly attentive. can't complain! interesting decor, gives you something to talk about.
- Special SteakhouseKevinDined on 8/11/2014This was not the typical Mortons or Ruth Chris chain steakhouse. A one-of-a-kind historic restaturant with exceptional service and fabulous food. It was highly recommended to us and it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Well done! :)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2014As above mentioned, i've done always a good choice. I've often eaten in this restaurant. I'll come back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family eventthg57Dined on 8/10/2014we were there with the family (Boys 19,21,23), the steaks were outstanding, the sirloin and the t-bone were manageable, with the ein ese we gave up after there quarters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keens SteakhouseFrankDined on 8/9/2014Had a great meal, in the Bull Moose room. There were 5 of us and we ordered main courses of filet mignon, prime rib, red snapper, scrimps and the legendary mutton chop. All were excellent and cooked perfectly as ordered. Had 4 deserts the best of which was the home made Key Lime pie. The Lady M chocolate cake and butterscotch Sundae we good too as was the red berry bibble. My Kings Cut prime rib was grilled on both sides and the inside was medium rare as I requested. My before dinner cocktail, the Mint Julep was the best. Only complaint was from my sister who said the knife to cut the mutton chop should have a textured or wooden handle because it became slippery during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SteakFoodNoobDined on 8/9/2014Food was amazing. Our filet mignon was perfectly cooked medium rare. The house Cabernet went amazing with the meal. Service was great. Only drawback I can think of is that the decor looks kind of old and outdated. Seating is close quarters and kind of awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SteaksBjornDined on 8/9/2014Keens Steakhouse offer Steaks that are just fantastic. They are big and very tasty. The service is quick and assertive. You will not be disappointed after a dinner here, but very full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Night at KeenskrmooreDined on 8/9/2014We had a Fantastic Dinner, well worth the price. It was my birthday and I wanted to go to Keens for the finest Steaks in New York City !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.