72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: (212) 947-3636
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
592 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (365)fit for foodies (273)good for groups (196)romantic (159)neighborhood gem (146)notable wine list (141)vibrant bar scene (84)hot spot (77)great for lunch (75)late-night find (35)great for outdoor dining (25)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (8)scenic view (8)Show More
- excellent food all around. mutton was to die for!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014excellent food all around. mutton was to die for! The whole staff fron hostess to bus boys were as friendly as You can beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The steak was very good! Rest was okay The restaurant is quite expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice decorationamanda26Dined on 11/21/2014cocktail is good under waiterˊs recommendation but salad was a little salty.It may be reduced salt but still with fresh flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014This really is a great place to eat. The food was just a joy to eat with the beef just falling apart with the minimal amount of eating. The atmosphere is a wash with the sound of happy diners and seeing smiling faces and contented people when we walked in, you just knew that you are in the right place to enjoy the experience. The only one down side to the restaurant is that you feel as crammed in as the cattle on their way to slaughter house. The staff are a great asset to the place and one of the very few places that I have paid 20% with no second thought about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go!Bts1Dined on 11/18/2014What a great restaurant...great atmosphere and a real show as you watch the vibrancy of this establishment...can't wait to return...if you want a real NY experience....GO! Kenny is an excellent waiter and really knows the history of this unique establishment....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keen's for the Meat LoverLarbetDined on 11/18/2014Keen's is a special treat for Steak Lovers and Mutton Chop Lovers, but does aspire to those Fish Lovers among us, who may venture in with friends or family. The service is always impeccable and the sides that you may choose with your Porterhouse for Two, Filet Mignon, etc., take you back to the days of Diamond Jim Brady e.g. creamed Spinach and a huge baked potato. I can highly recommend what they call hash browns, which is a potato patty mixed with onions and garlic and browned on each side. FYI: The sides are meant to be shared and are sized accordingly. The evening that I was there with my friend was extremely cold and I can also highly recommend their Hot Toddies on such a day. All in all, a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great customer serviceWahoo5Dined on 11/17/2014We were seated in the downstairs dining room. Apparently, the AC was broken and despite the cold outside, it was very warm. After ordering, we asked if we could be moved. With no issues or complaints, we were moved upstairs where it was cooler. It was a seamless hand-off between two excellent waiters. I believe customer service is best judges in how it responds to problems. Keens gets an A+.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service and food, but noisy.GerryDined on 11/17/2014The table was very tight, rolls nothing special, we shared crab cakes and shrimp cocktail appetizers, they were very fresh. I had a small sirloin, ordered medium rare, was closer to medium. The steak was a little fatty but very tender. My friend had a filet mignon and raved about it. With vegetable side and $72 bottle of French Bordeaux the check came to $240. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic steak!SteveTDined on 11/16/2014Chateaubriand steak was the best steak we've ever had (and that's quite a few)!! Plenty of history, great service and good wine list although be careful as easily spend a small fortune on a drop of red wine. Made for a lovely birthday celebration!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElmasKbrownDined on 11/16/2014Outstanding food excellent service. Everything was very good. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and decor is fabulous!agalfrommarsDined on 11/16/2014When I walked into the restaurant and was seated at a table I felt like I was stepping in to an episode of Boardwalk Empire. The background music was a perfect match to the décor. The service was excellent- our waiter had a good sense of humor. I ordered the filet mignon with creamed spinach and potatoes in butter sauce. It was delicious! My boyfriend ordered the prime steak (I think?) and it was HUGE! He thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak & mutton in an old new york viberannycDined on 11/15/2014keen's serves one of those classic new york steaks that everyone always tries to replicate, but if you want something different, the mutton chop is always a great alternative. the servers are friendly and are happy to help if you have trouble choosing a cut. always a favorite place of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULMariaDined on 11/15/2014I took my boyfriend to Keens for a birthday dinner. I figured we could both use a good steak. The steak was absolutely delicious! The mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were superb. The service was impeccable and the decor is awesome!Special Features:
- Keen's SteakhouseSPELL9Dined on 11/14/2014Keen's is our go to place for the Best steaks, lamb chops and, of course, the famous Mutton Chops. We enjoyed a Friday evening dinner with our dear friends, and Keen's did not disappoint. From the beautiful little neck clams on the half shell, to the chocolate mousse for dessert, the food is excellent!! Service is First Class, and it was enjoyable to see families meeting up for a beautiful dinner. The historic restaurant is a short walk from Penn Station, and passing Macy's at Herald Square is a treat when the windows are decorated for Christmas. I highly recommend Keen's for a special occasion. And, definitely make reservations on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the Way Seating, Then Heaven.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014I made our reservation for a special occasion birthday celebration two months ahead and wasn't particualrly thrilled with our table which was up three flights of stairs and in a very small isolated room. 6-7 tables. Some people would like this, I'm sure. The room had low ceilings, and was noisy. The service and food were quite good, and many couples would possibly enjoy a more off-the-beaten=track seating area. I thought it insensitive to our event. However, the birthday woman received the most delicious hot fudge sundae ever to pass through heaven's kingdom, and all was forgiven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening at KeensNYCNewbieDined on 11/10/2014So, my friends weren't joking when they said to go easy on the sides! Booked with Keens due to its reputation as the best steak in NYC and was not disappointed. Welcomed to our table 10 minutes before booked time with warm rolls and hor-d'oeuvres, foolishly we let hunger take control and also had marvellous appetisers - crab cakes delicate and delicious and the bacon - wow! Main was Chateaubriand for two, perfectly cooked and delicious but the fries, creamed spinach and sautéed mushrooms got little attention from two sated diners! Great atmosphere, bustling without being overbearing, good, unobtrusive service and a broad wine list. Worth every cent and a great way to cap a visit to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestReinhardDined on 11/9/2014Keens Steakhouse has a long history as part of the theater district around Times Square as it historically was the place where many actors met after work. Today, it is clearly one of the best steakhouses in Manhattan both in terms of food and ambiance.Special Features:
- A very good restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Our filet mignon was excellent, like everything of the meal. We discover a very fine wine (Pessac Léognan 2005) for a reasonable and fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably excellent diningKateDined on 11/8/2014Have been to Keens before and it is consistently a fine dining experience from quality of meal to service. That it is not loud is a bonus. Great place to dine with people you like to talk to.Special Features:
- Must visitKinabeansDined on 11/8/2014Keens was a very cozy atmosphere with lots of rich historical character. The porterhouse was incredible and I plan on visiting again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I went to Keens for our 21 year wedding anniversary. Everything about the night was made perfect thanks to the service and food. Would recommend Keens for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Steak HouseCraigVIPDined on 11/8/2014First visit and I had a little apprehention that it was just another steak house. The food was fantastic. We had the chateaubrilland for two which was amazing. Even the sides were amazing. Great service but they had us packed in like sardines when it was just a table for two. I would have enjoyed it more if I werent sitting 2 feet away from another person on each side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJosephDined on 11/7/2014If you come to NYC to have a good meal and you are not on a diet this is the place. Great atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- Great old standard steakhouseDinarooDined on 11/7/2014We've dined here before and it's always as good as expected. Portions are HUGE and excellently prepared. One of our favorites when in NYC. MUST make reservations in advance. Traditional steaks and chops prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Another fantastic timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014It is a place that hits a home run every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old school diningLloydVIPDined on 11/5/2014super cool place, had business lunch in the Bull Moose dining room (there are like 6 different rooms on two levels) and it was quiet, friendly, the BEST Cobb salad I've ever had...my new "go-to" place!Special Features:
- Truly enjoy going to keens.abagladyDined on 11/4/2014Great steaks, great staff and warm and friendly atmosphere. Love the fact that it is not noisy and you can actually enjoy conversation with your friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- George from YorkvilleGPL2Dined on 11/4/2014There simply are no better steaks and chops to be found in NYC, a city with the best restaurants for carnivores. The food, though pricey, is worth every penny. Atmosphere is lovely, especially if one likes thousands of clay pipes adorning the ceilings in several rooms. The wait staff is most professional and friendly. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give Keens an 11; it's an unusually exceptional dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the complete NYC experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014The restaurant was recommended to me by a friend who stubbled across it during a trip to New York. We booked a week in advance and managed to get an early sitting. From the point of entering the building to walking out the door, we had a superb dining experience. The staff were friendly, efficient and at time stealth. The food was superb, we all had steak and each was cooked to liking and delicious. The drinks (we chose) were adventrous and on point. The restaurant was quiet when we first arrived but at the time of departure it has a hearty buzz which only added to the atmosphere and experience. Will definitely be back when I am next in New York!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must when visiting NYCmiggyDined on 11/3/2014We have never eaten such a great steak before. Had the Porterhouse with grilled vegetable and french fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just an Average DinnerBobMDined on 11/1/2014I've been to Keen's on multiple occasions and I would say that this was my least favorite dining experience there. The appetizers were good, but not great and it took forever for the main entrees to arrive. They comped our coffee and dessert, which was the right thing to do, but the steaks we ordered were average at best and actually only slightly warm when they arrived. Disappointing to say the least since we were celebrating a special event, however I'll give Keen's another try down-the-road when I'm back in town again to see if it has improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Going to KeensJDoe345Dined on 11/1/2014So many steakhouses in the city, it's hard to choose one. Read an article about how Keens and Peter Lugers have been fighting to be king of NYC. Decided to try Keens out since I've never heard of it and Peter Lugers is a place where everybody goes now. Keens in one word is EXCELLENT. Came here to celebrate an anniversary. They gave us the best table and also complimentary champagne which was very nice of them. The steak was great, decided to go wit the T-Bone. Our waiter was also very friendly and nice. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- A New York Institution!!TunaDined on 11/1/2014Dined on 11/1/14. I've read so many good reviews on Keens, we had to give it a try. Had a 5:00 reservation and was promptly seated. Our waiter was fantastic and we were his first table of the night. The opening crudites and bread were very good. We ordered a wedge salad to split and they brought it out on two seperate plates. Nice. We also ordered the porterhouse for two (MW), the yukon mashed potatos, and the mixed veggies for our sides. The steak was huge and perfectly cooked, plenty of meat for both of us. Sides were also large enough for two as well. Wait staff very attentive, yet we didn't feel rushed. Too full for desset! Only knock, the house bread was ordinary at best. One of the best steak dinners we've ever had!Special Features:
- Perfect place for carnivoresOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014This restaraunt is a real gem for meat lovers. The sharing plate of perfectly cooked beef was a joy to eat and the best we have eaten anywhere. The atmosphere is relaxed and the service is attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 24dinnerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Noted for it's " old NY charm ", Keen's continues to provide a quality evening of dining in a authentic club atmosphere. My BW [ beautiful wife ] and I were a little disappointed to find they didn't have Bone in Rib Eye's on the menu which is our favorite at steak houses around the country. I settled for double cut Lamb Chops which were outstanding. The wife enjoyed her filet . They were very attentive to my wife's allergies which helped make it a more relaxing evening. Lot's of competition vying for the New York carnivore,but Keen's has managed to stay close to on top of the list for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops Steak House in NYCSteakMavenDined on 10/30/2014Won't find better steak house in NYC, in my opinion. Somewhat cramped and noisy but the food and service makes up for this when you want a fine piece of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Proper foodJimmydicoDined on 10/28/2014Best steak you'll ever eat, if you can finish it!! The decor is traditional and full of character, the service is friendly and helpful and the food is amazing, I had the rib cut which despite being the best cut of meat, at $54, for what had to be about 25 ounces, I couldn't finish it!! Brilliant place a must in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak everLondonAlDined on 10/28/2014We were thrilled with our recent visit to Keen's steakhouse. The steak was so tender and tasty and the service very attentive and efficient. The wine list had a great selection and was very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Line Steak HousedinerDined on 10/27/2014Keens is just what the review says. The meat was first rate. Either you like this type of place or you do not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below averageKatiaDined on 10/26/2014The food was average. The meat was ok but nothing special. The salad small and tasteless. For sure not palace to recommend.