72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: 2129473636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
608 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (382)fit for foodies (221)good for groups (184)romantic (163)neighborhood gem (144)notable wine list (129)great for lunch (82)hot spot (70)vibrant bar scene (63)late-night find (32)great for outdoor dining (21)kid-friendly (21)great for brunch (16)scenic view (12)Show More
- Delicious steak & amazing service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We came to Keen's on our first evening in New York and we loved it! The food was delicious and our waiter for the evening was wonderful and made us feel so welcome, even giving us free champagne when he found out we had just for engaged that day! The restaurant in itself is a really interesting decor and makes for a cosy atmosphere. It was very busy as well with couples and groups alike so is clearly popular. I would recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than some but not the bestJZimanVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have eaten at many steakhouses all over country including several in NYC. This one is good but others have exceeded. Quality and taste of steaks were good but not great. Drink service was quick and waiter was knowledgeable. Would likely choose better options next time.
- Best steak I tastedWaltDined on 9/18/2014Had the NY Sirlon taste was perfect, and their steaksauce was more so like icing on top of a steak cake. Visited from FL and Keens was well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best porterhouse in NYC !BJPOVIPDined on 9/18/2014It was my second visit in Keens...and I can say again: it is the best porterhouse of NY ! CongratsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Food was fabulous! Wait staff was old school trained and fabulous with suggestions and service!Special Features:
- KF60thDined on 9/16/2014Lovely evening before the theatre. Host was welcoming.. Acknowledged my request to sit downstairs. Waiter was very friendly.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!'MexRickDined on 9/15/2014Best steak on NYC. Our waiter was excellent. The oysters were marvelous. Thank you for treating us so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakhouse in townSwissDanDined on 9/13/2014It was simply excellent! As in all NYC steakhouse, prices are rather high (esp. for the sides), but the meats are excellent! Strongly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expected and anticipated.FarknightDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I dined at Keens for her 54th birthday on a Saturday night. The atmosphere of the place is amazing, wood and picture lined walls and ceilings filled with old pipes; the lighting rather dark. We had reservations for 7 pm and arrived on time but waited for ten minutes while our table was "set-up." We dined upstairs near the front and I had a great view over the dining room. The room was filled with foreign tourists, large groups and some locals (judging by accents). The noise level at first was off the scale but lowered once a raucous table left. Service was very good but professionally cool toward us. Her birthday surprise was a candle in the dessert we bought. Food and steaks were excellent! We enjoyed it for what it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlbusinaDined on 9/12/2014Very good restaurant, eccellent food; the only flow is that it's too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, ambiance & service!nyfoodie212Dined on 9/12/2014I went to Keens with my parents and realize I couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate! We were seated on the second floor, which I highly recommend. High ceilings, warm, hunting lodge atmosphere. This is also where the famous theatre program is framed - the one that Lincoln was holding when he got assassinated! My parents and I shared a bottle of red, sautéed spinach, bacon, fries, and porterhouse for two. It was definitely enough for three people! The bacon was absolutely delicious - please get this, as it will rock your world. We were so delighted with the experience that we stayed for chocolate cake. If you're looking for a quintessential NYC experience, or you want to celebrate/reunite with friends + family, this is the place!Special Features:
- T-Bone was perfect!!WeLuvMeatDined on 9/12/2014Awesome experience, the Food was amazing!! My wife had surf & turf, Lobster was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't disappoint.JandTWDined on 9/12/2014Keens was recommended to us by a friend. Was able to book a table the same night and was glad we could get in. One of the best steaks we have ever had. Great service to match. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We ordered the King's cut and the Mutton chop. Both steaks are generously cut and is so juicy and delicious. Definitely will come again.Special Features:
- Great steakhousekeenrev1Dined on 9/11/2014Huge varied steak menu and comprehensive wine list. Went on a thurs evening and was completely full so recommend making a reservation. My father had fish and was more than happy with his choice. My steak was perfectly cooked and delicious. As good a steak as i've eaten in NY. The place has an old world charming ambience although if you are looking for a very romantic evening you may find that some of the tables are a little close together which means you will hear much of the adjacent conversation and vice versa. Not a particulary cheap place to eat but again no more expensive than most of the other well known NY steakhouses. Would happily return when next in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most traditional SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014The Porterhouse Steak is really good. Taste it medium rare. There are no side dishes included, you have to order these separately (each 12 $). Most people tasted also sea food like oysters. It's looks also fantastic. The wine menus is very good. We took a red bottle from Chile. The service is good and fast. The house is very traditional with a lot of wood on the walls. I think it's one of the oldest in NYC. Don't forget to reservate 3-4 days in advance.Special Features:
- Best EverbamaDined on 9/10/2014Had a GREAT meal. The prime rib was the best ever. Expensive restaurant but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014Having first visited Keens in the 1970s I returned to a more upscale locale. It is the only old fashion elegant chop house called steak house that serves Mutton Chops You have to go to London to match or top this place. However once called Keens Chop house I miss the Yorkshire popover which they discontinued.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meat and locationReviewer11Dined on 9/9/2014Keen's steakhouse offers one of the best porterhouse steaks in NYC. If you're looking for an impeccable steak, then this is your best bet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place !amm1Dined on 9/9/2014Very nice food, ambiance, service and the noise level was also adequate for me, I liked very much find draft Murphy's Stout there, see you soon.Special Features:
- Enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2014We had a very enjoyable meal for out last night in NYC. Porterhouse for two was fantastic, cooked to perfection. Creme Brulee was also outstanding. Wait staff were attentive and helpful. Was a bit noisy. Great place for a special meal, and then just a short stroll to the Empire State Building.Special Features:
- AwesomeNewYorkGemDined on 9/8/2014Keens Steakhouse is simply awesome. Great atmosphere, friendly staff and the food was out of this world. My wife is not a particular fan of steak but even she hasn't stopped talking about the Porterhouse we had. I just wish it wasn't 3,600 miles from home !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressedash01Dined on 9/8/2014Can't fault the place, it was like stepping back in time in terms of ambience, character and service. Not to forget the food though, which was exemplary. The steaks were fantastic, for both size and taste. Not cheap but you do get what you pay for. And the service was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!BoopDined on 9/8/2014We both had the lamb chops. Best ever! Even the veggies were tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak !!!zarconieDined on 9/8/2014One of the best steaks you can eat in the city. Very friendly and attentive staff. Great place overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingtosburneDined on 9/7/2014Not cheap, but by far the best Prime Rib and Lamb Chops we've ever had. The service was impeccable, and we loved the atmosphere. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014The steak was everything we had heard. Excellent food and great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestDrGenotypeDined on 9/7/2014Great place for steak and seafood. 18th century coach stop where gentlemen left their pipes for smoking (now displatyed on the ceilings). Been a customer since 1981. Had many a fine Christmas party there. Good for parties upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Jean's meal at KeensChefJeanDined on 9/6/2014It was everything and more that I expected,the legendary mutton chop is certainly worth the buy. It was tender and flavorful and the steak is by far one of the best I have had,in fact, it has given Texas a run for its money. The overall experience from booking the reservation online through open table from a diff country to get there and being treated like family even the ignorant person on the opposite table couldn't ruin the meal. And they complimentary glass of Champagne ( and not a cheap one) for our anniversary made us feel special. I highly recommend Keens and look forward to our trip back next week to see how the second time round service plays off. Always dine a place twice that's my golden rule! Bon appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with nice ambiencetrippingkathyDined on 9/6/2014We both ordered filet mignons with mushrooms. Fantastic. Asparagus also tasty. Bananas foster for dessert yummmm ! Old cigar pipes on ceiling cool !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowAmazingDined on 9/5/2014Restaurant amazing! Steak was stunning service wonderful and I would have done here every night! Incredible nothing bad to say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceAdieDined on 9/5/2014Everything was wonderful. The food was just incredible. The service was excellent. The ambience was perfect and exactly what we were looking for in a steakhouse...old English pub style. We couldn't have asked for a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!hilleDined on 9/4/2014The best steak we ever had!! The service was excellent. Our dinner at Keens was the best dinner we ever had in New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The legendary mutton chop !!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014The mutton chop is legendary for a reason, one word to describe ? " AMAZING ". Hands down to the mutton chop, it's a must try #1 top selling item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A VERY special SteakhousePhilFromOzDined on 9/4/2014Having spent a lot of time reading up & preparing for our NY holiday I booked in to Keens Steakhouse AND WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. We're middle class folk and for us our evening at Keens was a bit of a splurge .. but it WAS worth it! A really nice atmosphere & nostalgic vibe. I am a foodie & I can't remember having a better steak! Back home (Australia) I would typically order my meat cooked medium. That said, due to our recent North American experiences, I opted for medium/well .. I was glad I did. The meat was still lovely and tender with a good pink centre. The fellow at the adjoining table went for Keens 'Legendary Mutton Chop' - & BOY was it huge! If you're considering Keens for dinner, I commend it to you. Regards, Phil BrowneSpecial Features:
- fabulous foodfabfoodDined on 9/4/2014Went to keens for my 50th birthday...fabulous meal we both had steak and they were enormous and delicious best I have tasted...definitely recommend this place and when in ny again definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but not sold on mutton.MontanaGoatsterDined on 9/2/2014The service was perfect, and the ambiance was excellent. My wife had the smaller filet mignon which was very good. I had the "Legendary Mutton Chop" which was also very good. However, if I was to go back, I would stick with the lamb chops. The mutton is good, but it takes a lot of effort to slice and dice and was not as tender and flavorful as lamb typically is.
- Tasty enoughmucherdDined on 8/31/2014Decent, but not fully exceptional plate of meat. Service was good and attentive, and helped out after a mix up on the time of the booking.
- Exceptional2pickyeatersDined on 8/31/2014From the moment we walked through the door, our quiet dinner turned into an unbelievable experience. The staff was wonderful and charming. The atmosphere was intimate yet inviting and the food was cooked to absolute perfection. We loved every second. The expensive prices were justified from the first bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the old world ambianceCDDiningVIPDined on 8/30/2014We loved the decor at Keene's - pipes on the ceiling are really cool. Our food was super, everything was cooked perfectly with a lot of flavor. Did not experience the best service, maybe our 8:30 reservation was too late for John. Only poured the first glass of wine with no following pour which I do not expect for the price level restaurant. We recommend as the food was great.Special Features: