72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: 2129473636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
612 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (383)fit for foodies (238)good for groups (188)romantic (170)neighborhood gem (148)notable wine list (135)great for lunch (82)hot spot (74)vibrant bar scene (65)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (23)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (15)scenic view (12)Show More
- Kerns nothing but loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Went while visiting NYC. My boyfriend and I loved our steaks. Great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of NYC. Pricey but we'll worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mind Blowing!!!!!!GreatVIPDined on 9/27/2014OMG. Truly amazing to say the very least. We could not of asked for better food or service. The place is the BOMB as they say. Everything was prepared perfectly! We're very much looking forward to going back in the next future. We recommend hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014This was an amazing restaurant and it exceeded my expectations. The food was outstanding!! The service was top notch.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great steakhouse and memorable decor and ambience, old time New York favourite. Service could have been very slightly better but was packed as also, you go for re experience and steak...rather than swish top notch seamless (and possibly characterless) high end restaurant experience .... If you want delicious, and huge, steak and a New York experience, eat here for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This was a celebratory dinner for my nom's 85th birthday. The staff could not have been lovelier and more accommodating. And, as always, the steak is out of this world! Filet mignon and sirloin are always perfect-- lean, cooked perfectly, like butter, and delicious. Desserts, especially the very special coffee cantata, come highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great experience, love the food , love the enviroment and the Service, fully recomendSpecial Features:
- Old classicOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014Everything we ordered was spot on. Our group had the mutton chops, lamb chops, filet and arctic char--all cooked perfectly and delicious. The Caesar salad was delicious, but a bit small. The hash browns were a tad overdone, but the creamed spinach and mashed potatoes were perfect. We had a fantastic time.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food was great! Planned a weekend trip and looked up some good places just so happened keens popped up and all the reviews were great! So I made the reservation! The food was magnificent! Service was great! Atmosphere was great as well! Couldn't have asked for anything better! Make sure you have your check book ready!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tantalizing treat !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014A memorable evening to celebrate milestones in our lives ! Attentive service without hovering. The tableside fileting of the Dover sole was pure artistry ! Loved the clay pipes.Special Features:
- Worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Tough to get reservation, but worth it. Great food; outstanding service. Best steakhouse in NYC,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic and deliciousSusannaDined on 9/26/2014We had a leisurely lunch with out of town guests. We all loved our menu choices; best was the mutton chop!! I love the look of the restaurant, and the friendly staff.
- Steak not warmRolfDined on 9/25/2014After many successful visits at Keens, this time it was a disappointment. The medium/rear steak was both overcooked and cold. Should not happen with this price levelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOswaldoDined on 9/25/2014The food was fine, but at these prices I was expecting to be blown away. I was not. The server was quite indifferent and showed no signs of friendliness. Keens strikes me as a place that's living off its reputation and is just coasting along now...at least based on this first-time visit for me.
- As good as ever...Tamio888Dined on 9/24/2014As one of the very few places withPrime Rib on the menu every day, Keen's has been my daughter's first choice for a special dinner out. It has gotten harder to get a booking there, so, whenevery we get together, I try them first. We always ask for the Pub Menu and between the two menus we had cured salmon, steak tartare, Prime Rib, Pub Cut Mutton Chop, fries and mushrooms. Everything was delivered perfect. I've had them bring overcooked chops before but it's never a problem to get a corrected replacement quickly. This time everything came just perfect. Mushrooms - another favorite of my daughter - had great rich flavor. Nice to know some things can maintain their quality and identity.Special Features:
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Had the petite fillet and it was outstanding. 8 oz and cooked perfectly. Service was spot on. We got there 15 minutes before our reservation but they seated us immediately. Very pricey but well worth it for an occasional treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticKennymcd76Dined on 9/23/2014I have travelled to NYC from Ireland and a friend recommended Keens to us. We weren't disappointed it was fantastic I had the rib of beef. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for and I was delighted with what I got I would highly recommend it to everyone the atmosphere was fantastic too!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodcrabappleVIPDined on 9/23/2014This place never disappoint their customers. And services are in timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Old New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014I dined here this week with my boyfriend for his birthday. Everyone at Keen's made our experience enjoyable. The food was fantastic and in abundance. Very impressive Scotch list. Cocktails were also well made. Service was accomodating and would definitely revisit.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencetasteandtravelDined on 9/22/2014I went with a party of five on a Monday night. Although it was fully packed, we enjoyed ourselves. Our entrees were absolutely delicious (porterhouse for 3, t-bone and jumbo shrimp). The red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon) went perfectly with the meal. It was a little bit noisy but that's fine because it was a full house. Great food, great service and I look forward to dining here again.Special Features:
- JenniferDined on 9/22/2014I'm so sorry for didn't give the tips because I didn't know how to pay the tips by credit card. The service was awesome and we had great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its reputation3hungrybairsDined on 9/21/2014Our meal was fantastic; we cannot decide which was better, the steak or mutton. John, our server, was awesome. A great first-time experience, and we are looking forward to coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keen's ChophouseNochaintravelerDined on 9/21/2014Arrived 15 minutes early, seated promptly. Server was excellent, food prep perfect as ordered and delivered in very reasonable time. Quality of food, 8 ounce filet mignon, 12 ounce NY steak excellent. Crème Broulee slightly burnt caramelization and custard cool, prefer warmer. Flavor excellent.Special Features:
- Everything I expectedPappaJDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I traveled to NYC to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We've always wanted to try out one of the notable NY steakhouses. Except for the bill, which As expected, Keens exceeded our expectations, both in terms of the food and service. Portions are huge, perfectly cooked, seasoned and presented. Buyer beware, the T-bone steak is huge! Felt guilty sending more than half back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lanacaneDined on 9/20/2014Love the restaurant and the food is superb, especially the steak and blue cheese dressing. Three of us had the Porterhouse steak for three. Cooked to perfection. Been to restaurant twice. Excellent both times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoodlesNoodlesVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was my second visit to Keen's and when in NY again I will positively return. I had the very best filet with a wine reduction sauce that I ever had. The waiter respected our request for a little "down" time before ordering and it was just a great dinner from start to finish. I highly recommend this old (since late 1800s) estabishment for a memorable dinner.Special Features:
- Great for meat lovers!MegW1985Dined on 9/20/2014Keens was one of the first chop/steak houses I've ever been to. I have yet to be disappointed. The only not so great comment I have to say is that our lobster bisque was only lukewarm when it was brought out. Other than that, my fiancé ordered the T-bone (I believe :-/) and I had the filet mignon (8oz) and it was perfectly cooked. The hash browns and creamed spinach were also delightful! A bonus was that I told them in advance that it was my fiancé's 30th and we ordered a dessert. They provided a candle and actually addressed him by his name which I thought was a great personal touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keen on NYCRedSoxFanVIPDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is the definition of a great NYC dining experience. The filet and T-Bone steaks were the best we have ever eaten. Lobster bisque was excellent, and had sufficient amount of lobster meat to round out the taste of the rich soup and sherry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious steak & amazing service!JenniFDined on 9/18/2014We came to Keen's on our first evening in New York and we loved it! The food was delicious and our waiter for the evening was wonderful and made us feel so welcome, even giving us free champagne when he found out we had just for engaged that day! The restaurant in itself is a really interesting decor and makes for a cosy atmosphere. It was very busy as well with couples and groups alike so is clearly popular. I would recommend this to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than some but not the bestJZimanVIPDined on 9/18/2014We have eaten at many steakhouses all over country including several in NYC. This one is good but others have exceeded. Quality and taste of steaks were good but not great. Drink service was quick and waiter was knowledgeable. Would likely choose better options next time.
- Best steak I tastedWaltDined on 9/18/2014Had the NY Sirlon taste was perfect, and their steaksauce was more so like icing on top of a steak cake. Visited from FL and Keens was well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best porterhouse in NYC !BJPOVIPDined on 9/18/2014It was my second visit in Keens...and I can say again: it is the best porterhouse of NY ! CongratsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was average, service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Overpriced steaks, had better for half the price elsewhere. Would not go again.
- lovetoeatDined on 9/17/2014Food was fabulous! Wait staff was old school trained and fabulous with suggestions and service!Special Features:
- KF60thDined on 9/16/2014Lovely evening before the theatre. Host was welcoming.. Acknowledged my request to sit downstairs. Waiter was very friendly.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!'MexRickDined on 9/15/2014Best steak on NYC. Our waiter was excellent. The oysters were marvelous. Thank you for treating us so well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakhouse in townSwissDanDined on 9/13/2014It was simply excellent! As in all NYC steakhouse, prices are rather high (esp. for the sides), but the meats are excellent! Strongly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expected and anticipated.FarknightDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I dined at Keens for her 54th birthday on a Saturday night. The atmosphere of the place is amazing, wood and picture lined walls and ceilings filled with old pipes; the lighting rather dark. We had reservations for 7 pm and arrived on time but waited for ten minutes while our table was "set-up." We dined upstairs near the front and I had a great view over the dining room. The room was filled with foreign tourists, large groups and some locals (judging by accents). The noise level at first was off the scale but lowered once a raucous table left. Service was very good but professionally cool toward us. Her birthday surprise was a candle in the dessert we bought. Food and steaks were excellent! We enjoyed it for what it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlbusinaDined on 9/12/2014Very good restaurant, eccellent food; the only flow is that it's too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, ambiance & service!nyfoodie212Dined on 9/12/2014I went to Keens with my parents and realize I couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate! We were seated on the second floor, which I highly recommend. High ceilings, warm, hunting lodge atmosphere. This is also where the famous theatre program is framed - the one that Lincoln was holding when he got assassinated! My parents and I shared a bottle of red, sautéed spinach, bacon, fries, and porterhouse for two. It was definitely enough for three people! The bacon was absolutely delicious - please get this, as it will rock your world. We were so delighted with the experience that we stayed for chocolate cake. If you're looking for a quintessential NYC experience, or you want to celebrate/reunite with friends + family, this is the place!Special Features:
- T-Bone was perfect!!WeLuvMeatDined on 9/12/2014Awesome experience, the Food was amazing!! My wife had surf & turf, Lobster was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.