72 West 36th St.
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.keens.com/
- Phone: 2129473636x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 10:30pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Bill Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Keens Steakhouse can accommodate groups of up to 400 for private parties. They can also accommodate a table of up to 20 people for a la carte dining.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothy Haynes 2122685056x
A word from Keens Steakhouse
Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Keens Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Keens Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
589 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (370)fit for foodies (247)good for groups (174)romantic (162)neighborhood gem (150)notable wine list (132)hot spot (74)great for lunch (70)vibrant bar scene (67)late-night find (29)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (12)scenic view (9)Show More
- Excellent Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The mutton and the prime rib were really good, outstanding. You could do better with the t-bone steak, it was good, but not as good as the one you can get in Wolfgan's or Peter Lugers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Our table was directly in front of the entrance and we were freezing. The service was friendly and intent. The food was very good and good presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014Absolutely love Keens. One of the best spots in NYC. Get the mutton.Special Features:
- Amazing all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014Can not express how impressed I was from the service to the champagine that was sent over for our anneversary. The whole staff was potential and kind. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The restaurant was busy-both the bar and the dining area. Wonderfully historic ambiance - great food, great service. Pretty expensive, but to be expected. Iceberg lettuce wedge with bacon and tomatoes is wonderful, but big enough for two to share. Chilean sea bass cooked to perfection. Others had prime porter house for two medium and 8oz primer filet mignon well.. sides are for two people. We split mashed potatoes and vegetables for 4 people and it was a good amount with the bread that came with the meal. Pumpkin pie cheesecake for dessert was a nice ending to the meal. This place is beautifully decorated and a piece of NYC history. Love the painting by Alexander Pope in the Lambs room.Special Features:
- traditional steak house yumminessMAWLDined on 10/17/2014I love a traditional steak house and Keens delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MezzyDined on 10/17/2014the steaks were fabulous the service superb and can't say enough goods things about our time there. We ere ^ people going to theater 14blocks away. eat with no rush and made the curtain MezzySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very satisfying visitEleniODined on 10/16/2014The day's special provides a nice alternative to Keens famous meat entrees. Keeping in mind that these are usually outsize, customers should choose prudently: the legendary mutton chop fully deserves its name but only giants can have something more than one vegetable side dish to go with it. The wine list is also fine and plentiful and the whisky selection is extraordinary.Special Features:
- Great foodLove2DineDined on 10/15/2014Fillet was yummy, lovely crust and melt in your mouth tender, Arctic char delicious, loved the lobster salad! Fantastic American steak house!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014The food was outstanding. The steak was so perfectly medium rare. Nice atmosphere, not too loud, not too official, we really enjoyed our food and conversation there.Special Features:
- The Food Vs. The PlaceLIATDined on 10/12/2014Keen is such an amazing and unique spot in NYC. . It's old school- old new york without being too flashy. It's really classy and super interesting spot. The service was excellent: Drinks: great selection. Complementary bread and fresh cut vegetables: Always nice to have. The appetizers: Not so much of a selection, but both tomato, onion mozzarella and caesar salad were great. Steaks: Overall, I thought my Keen's experience is going to challenge all other best NYC Steak spots (Peter logger, strip house, sparks, and of course Wolfgang). However, my exceptions failed: Steaks are just OK. Nothing to remember. keeping that in mind--you should still go for the experience-but don't go for best NYC Steak.Special Features:
- KazzabartlettKazzabartlettDined on 10/12/2014Excellent food and service, booked in England before arriving in New York via open table . Bar men downstairs unfriendly but upstairs excellent! loved my cheesecake with a candle in for my birthday!Special Features:
- tacotomVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great food in an old New York classic steak house. Only complaint we had was b the noise level. Service was very good for our group of 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerSwissyDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent even if the meat was cut a little thick. We ordered a chateaubriand and bernaise which could be a bit better, she should be more creamy and smell more like tarragon.Negative was only that it was cold and we felt the wind when the door openedSpecial Features:
- NiceGourmetVacayDined on 10/11/2014Ambiance, great. So much history on the walls & ceiling! Noise level, med/high. Food was very good but super expensive. I really have a hard time paying 10.00 for mashed potatoes! Some things just need to be included. Steak houses need to change their century-long love affair with ala-carte. However: the Chateaubriand was exquisite.Special Features:
- Bien!DrouhardDined on 10/10/2014Nourriture très bonne. Un seul bémol: la climatisation qui va beaucoup TROP fort!!!! Nous avions vraiment FROID!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TempLangsDined on 10/10/2014It was our first visit to Keanes and we thought it was fantastic, steeped in history and great food, we would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting New YorkSpecial Features:
- Steak loverRestauranteur11Dined on 10/10/2014One of the best in NYC....period. Great for business, a special occasion, or just going for a truly solid meal. Service is excellent--not in your face but responsive and prompt--always a great meal Here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Nightfood4thoughtDined on 10/9/2014Good Wine, Great Meat, Pipes on the ceiling… what else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodZenworld88Dined on 10/9/2014Was recommended by my friend so decided to check it out this time. We had the 8oz fillet with 1/4 of the lobster together. It was so nice and they give you generous portion for the sides and we had sauteed mushrooms and spinah. Staff is friendly and the decor of the restaurant is very nice too. Would definitely be visiting again next time we are here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticKpb1Dined on 10/8/2014My birthday dinner was held here from my boyfriend and it was just perfect quiet delicious they even brought out a small desert and wished me a happy birthday . We had the porter house for 2 medium well and it was perfect juicy and to perfection with baby potatoes and parsley and carrots which tasted like sweet potatoes because they are cooked in honey :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank You KeensSeaviewDined on 10/8/2014Outstanding! EXCELLENT SERVICE and MEAL. After a not so enjoyable experience last time, Keens was back up to its normal EXCELLENT self. Thank you. We will return REAL SOON!!!Special Features:
- Great service and good foodLongshor12Dined on 10/7/2014We always enjoy the restaurant before a concert at MSG. Our head waiter was very attentive and had a great sense of humor. Crowded bar with good athmosphere, and had for the first time Mutton, excellent and tender, sea bass was awesome as well. Would recommend to friendsSpecial Features:
- Delitious!!BelecitaDined on 10/6/2014I haven't been here for a while and brought visitors to have the NY steakhouse experience. They couldn't stop admiring the decor, the ambiance and the food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningFrenchieDined on 10/6/2014I had requested a nice table as we were celebrating our anniversary and son's birthday. Not only did we have a very nice round table as requested but were offered a glass of champagne each upon arrival. Very unexpected and a real treat. The service was outstanding as was the food. The atmosphere is lively without being too noisy and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Make sure you visit the bar! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Gem of a findLesODined on 10/6/2014Did some research before going to New York and Keens looked like it would suit us. We were not disappointed. Lovely old style restaurant with attentive staff but not intrusive. Smoking Pipes adorned much of the restaurant with those owned by famous Visitors given pride of place in the lobby, so quirky. It was busy and booking essential for a Monday evening. We had lovely tender chateau brand with three sauces, although steak could of been better if it had more flavour. Looking around and listening to other customers portions were plentiful and everyone Appeared satisfied. We splashed out with a good quality wine so the evening was not cheap costing over $250. If we visit NY we will go back.Special Features:
- A true experience!tthomp2Dined on 10/5/2014You feel like you are a part of history when dining here, when you consider the history here, cool to see the smoking pipes of Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth etc. Meal was outstanding, my wife says it was the best steak she has ever eaten. Also as one who does not like to spend ridiculous money on wines, nice to have many choices on wine list that were very reasonable. Also meant a lot for them to remember my wife's birthday with a birthday dessert, even as big as they are. Everyone needs to experience this establishment at some time.Special Features:
- Keens is Terrific!!JoyceDined on 10/5/2014Wonderful meal with great service. They honored the Open Table Reservation even though they were very busy. It is pretty expensive but for that cost you get great food & excellent service. well worth it.Special Features:
- Nice place to bring clients!have2eatDined on 10/5/2014Great place for people first visit to NYC. Our clients really enjoyed it. The presentation was simple and everything is al a carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breath taking.historybuffDined on 10/5/2014Enjoy a fine dining meal, relaxing drink while the walls talk to you.Special Features:
- Great Meal & ServiceMilkyWayDined on 10/4/2014We were greeted at the door and brought to an upstairs dining area. As soon as we were seated they brought over a complimentary glass of champagne as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. There was a real mix of couples groups and families (some with children although we didn't see any very young children). There was a lovely chatty atmosphere without being too loud. There was a good range of food to choose from on the menu. We had bacon chops and mozzarella, tomatoes and onions to start. Then the New York Strip & 8oz Fillet Mignon. We shared some fries and roasted vegetables. The steak was very tender and cooked exactly as we'd ordered. We were too full for dessert. The waiting staff were all very helpful and efficient.Special Features:
- Special OccasionVanChewieDined on 10/3/2014The ambiance is very old school (we knew this coming in and have no issues with this) and the food was excellent. Service was good and not to intrusive which allowed us to converse freely without unneeded interruptions. I would recommend this restaurant for any special occasion or even just for a simple dinner out.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningMyFavoriteDined on 9/30/2014Keen's is awesome! The food was delicious and plenty of it. The atmosphere is very festive. The service was impeccable. The history of Keen's is part of New York. We loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite steakhouseWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 9/30/2014the prime rib--always fantastic; the mutton chop, unique and cannot be beat; atmosphere--terrific decor. One of the oldest remains one of the very best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYC landmarkSJE1Dined on 9/29/2014I have been here many times. I often am in NYC for work. This is one of the best steaks in Manhattan. One suggestion - stick to the T-Bones, Filet, or Prime Rib. Last night I got the legendary mutton chop and while it was cooked perfectly and had good flavor, the cut was a lot of work and kind of awkward to cut (it is very tall) while having a dinner meeting. My dinner colleague got the sea bass and said it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Took a chance and wow!EvansfoodDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I booked the restaurant before our trip to New York from a google search of "best steak in New York." This restaurant is not the cheapest but the quality of the food, surroundings and service are first class. Whether you're visiting New York or a resident you must go. I don't know whether this is the best steak in New York but I had the best steak I have ever eaten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kerns nothing but lovecliloneg22Dined on 9/28/2014Went while visiting NYC. My boyfriend and I loved our steaks. Great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of NYC. Pricey but we'll worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Were again very excited about our visit to "Keen's". Simply a "must" wen we are in NYC for usSpecial Features:
- Mind Blowing!!!!!!GreatVIPDined on 9/27/2014OMG. Truly amazing to say the very least. We could not of asked for better food or service. The place is the BOMB as they say. Everything was prepared perfectly! We're very much looking forward to going back in the next future. We recommend hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingmmmmmichelleDined on 9/27/2014This was an amazing restaurant and it exceeded my expectations. The food was outstanding!! The service was top notch.Special Features: