79-7511 Mamalaloha Hw
Kealakekua, HI 96750Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.keeicafe.net/#!
- Phone: 8083229992
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Seafood, Brazilian
- Executive Chef: Chef Zeze
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Keei Cafe
In 1995 with a vision to open a small family "Coffee Cafe" Owner Bob Miyashiro and his wife Gina open the original Keei Cafe in a old former Fish Market in Honaunau, Hawaii on the Big Island. Finally after borrowing enough from their father, Brothers Bob and Dennis along with Sister Joyce the new Keei Cafe was Born in Hokukano. Again with the Brazilian touch for food friendly colors and using local woods, Gina helped create the decor that surrounds the "New" Keei Cafe at Hokukano. Opened in early 2005, the new Cafe features local artist painting and carvings on the walls. Koa table help make the Cafe have a warm and welcome feel perfect for families or guests looking for a resort type meal with a upcounty price. Family owned and operated with the additon of Gina's sister and Brother in Law, Chef Zeze and Batista, in the kitchen to use the freshes local ingredients to prepare creavtive and and delicious menu items with nightly specials. Please come to experience the flavors!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Keei Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)romantic (7)neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (3)good for groups (1)Show More
- Rare findDMVIVDined on 9/30/2014My anniversary was celebrated by dining at Keei restaurant on the Big Island of Hawaii. I had made a special request that the flowers I had ordered to be on the table upon our arrival as a surprise for my wife. Upon arrival our flowers were on a special table reserved specifically for us in a quiet and private location. Everyone wished us a happy anniversary from the Host, Waiter, Guitar player and even the Chef came out from the kitchen to wish us a happy anniversary. I can summarize this review by stating that everything from the Staffs efforts to the Chef's culinary excellence and the ambiance as outstanding, outstanding, outstanding.I would highly recommended this restaurant to anyone who enjoys fine dining.Special Features:
- A find!BruceVIPDined on 9/25/2014If you are staying in Kailua-Kona take the time to drive 10-12 miles south. Small menu (see their website) but very good food. The pork chops are great. We liked it so much we ate there twice during our 2 weeks in HI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDewsterVIPDined on 9/10/2014What a find! An unassuming building off the Mamaloha Hwy this is an easy to skip place based on the exterior. But that would be a mistake. A good, diverse menu our meals were simply perfect. Freshest, best fish, excellent favors, fresh crisp vegetables, sauces well-balanced and flavorful, all served by the host/owner. The place is decorated to show off a bit of local art, and is in warm, cozy colors. We will return many times. One caution: take cash, as the reason their prices are so reasonable is that they don't accept credit cards. Oh, and as it's up in the hills, it's cooler than in Kailua-Kona.Special Features:
- Nice but inconsistentBrookieDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant has good parking, is easy to find, and is fairly reasonably priced. We had: baked brie-a small portion but pesto and sundried tomato spreads were delicious; Greek salad-note:kalamata olives and feta do not equal "Opa!" but it was OK; Brazilian chowder-great broth, shrimp not cleaned and mushy, server did not ID the fish; eggplant roll-ups-tasty but hot dish had a cool couscous filling; shrimp and scallop salad-the shrimp and scallop were perfect, the greens crisp, great pickled onions; lava cake-go ala mode or forget it; lilikoi cake-yummy; We did not order a traditional entree. Wood everywhere and art is romantic. Sounds of street traffic minimal. Server was attentive and nice. I'd return to try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great food!JackieDined on 7/18/2014This is a great restaurant with wonderful food. The specials the night we went were duck and a variety of fish. Both were prepared perfect and the server showed us what they were as he was delivering them to a table nearby. He allowed the children to taste test a couple of items. The only complaint would be the "lava" dessert should have been bigger and prepared with more presentation. Why not have chocolate sauce pouring out over the ice cream and set it on fire to look like it is erupting? Still it was very yummy.Special Features:
- The following 47 reviews are from the Keei Cafe reviews archive.
- Our favorite local restaurantKonaCoffeeGuyDined on 6/4/2014We've been coming to Kei'i Cafe for over 15 years, starting when they were in Honaunau. Even though we are local and regulars, I always have the fresh fish. Their fish is always so fresh and they use the best cuts. The homemade mashed potatoes, lumps, chunks, and all are great. I enjoy their simple veggie preparations, colorful and cooked just right - yummy! The baked Brie with pesto and sun-dried tomato is outstanding. The house Mai Tai is great, no mixers here, just juice and rum. I'm a sucker for the two-scoop ice-cream sundae, but all of their desserts are delicious. We always bring visitors here, and it's our go-to spot for a special dinner, or when we just want a nice meal. Being up mauka means there are not too many tourists. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing fishNickname1Dined on 5/17/2014We have eaten here a number of times and enjoy the warm atmosphere of the dining area and the soft chords of Jimmy, the guitar player. This evening, one of us chose ono as the fresh fish and it clearly was not fresh. We had to send it back and replace with ahi (excellent seared) since it had that "tang" of spoiling. Otherwise, the sauces were delicious, one being lilikoi and mine, the Thai curry. The vegetables are alway cooked just al dente and make a colorful accompaniment; this night asparagus, spinach, some kind of mushroom other than button along with carrots, etc. It's a little farther drive for us but so different from anything in the village of Kailua-Kona and worth the trip.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceCathyMargeDined on 5/8/2014I am pleased to offer a very favorable review. We dined with traveling companions on a Thursday evening and enjoyed delicious meals, perfectly prepared and a lovely setting. Service was attentive, warm and efficient. Fellow diners included couples, a family with children, both locals and tourists. We are from Providence RI noted for it's restaurant scene and so were especially pleased to find such a gem so far from home.Special Features:
- Out of the way placeFreshPeruvianVIPDined on 4/26/2014So I thought Keei was near Kalua-Kona but once I got into my car, I discovered it was 10 miles further away. So after changing my reservation to account for the additional travel, we ended up in this small quant town and pulled into Ke'ei Cafe. The mood was peaceful as we sat outside. The server was kinda goofy as he explained the specials. I ended up with a lovely fish that was perfectly cooked while my partner had salmon that was excellent. This was totally worth the long drive as we were the only non-locals in the place and the mood and atmosphere really was great. I will go back if I make it back to the big island.
- Nice place, we ate there twiceRalphDined on 3/21/2014Nice place, we ate there twice while on the island and would go back. One of us said the duck was the best ever and my fish was well prepared and delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem! Go find it!SharonDined on 3/21/2014We tried the Keei Cafe on recommendation from friends. The food was excellent and beautifully presented and prepared. All of the menu was tempting but my partner and I went with the specials and were glad we did. He had duck that was a more European than Asian preparation which is usually all you can get in the islands, and I went with the swordfish, somewhat reluctantly as it can be dry and chewy. Both our meals were cooked to perfection; moist flavorful and the portions were generous. Instead of the "steam tray" uninspired veggies served everywhere else,they served sauted julienned red pepper with asparagus, spinach that had to come from a nearby garden and yummy mashed potatoes. Sadly, no room left to try the mango cobbler. Next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!ChiTriDined on 3/18/2014We have enjoyed the food and the ambience of the Ke'ei Cafe for many years, and their consistency is impressive. We can always be sure the food will meet or exceed our expectations. The ahi and green papaya salad with miso dressing is always a top choice and stands out in a town replete with ahi. The desserts are scrumptious, and the sunset views are gorgeous. Live solo guitarists round out the evening. Upscale, wood decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverviewWojeckVIPDined on 3/7/2014Service was spotty, example waiter brought second bottle of wine and just left it on table---unopened. Food was good, came out hot, nice portions and good presentation. Each of the 4 of us were pleased with our dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parking is a problemkamaainaDined on 3/7/2014Located in a two story building mauka (toward the mountain) from the highway, there is limited parking. Around the building and up the hill, there is a tight parking lot in back. Later arrivals have a harder time finding parking. Food was good. Two big chunks of fish in the dish we ordered. If one sits on the outer balcony, one can see, her, and count the traffic going by. View of the sea above the trees and highway. Noise was the traffic, not the diners. Seemed to an older crowd, probably due to upscale prices. (Even for the Big Island.). I have seen reviews on other sites which tended to downplay this place, but our "child" waiter was OK. We will probably go back on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very stylish looking restaurant.ggggDined on 3/1/2014a very stylish looking restaurant. nice tables, art, live music that fits. very good food, the back of the house is in order, the front not so much. a combo host-busboy who doesn't speak or communicate, a waiter who serves food but not napkins or silver ware, forgets a bottle of wine, forgets the ice bucket, and does not check after serving the food. But the food is very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Was SloooooowLuigiDined on 3/1/2014There was a theater performance near by that we were attending. Seated promptly. 10 minutes later had to flag a helper down to ask if there was a waiter assigned to our table. The helper brought us menus. Had to flag him down again to order our food. Explained we were attending the performance. One hour after we had been seated we still had not received our food. The food finally arrived and I asked for the check. The check and the payment was on the table while we wolfed down our food. Had to get up and find someone to get the check paid. The food was well prepared but we could not enjoy it or the dining experience because of the long wait and the worry about making the performance. We will not be back.
- No acknowledgement on arrival.EthelDined on 2/8/2014No acknowledgement on arrival. No indication they even had our reservation. Not enough employees to handle the crowd. Long wait to get seated (even with reservation). With that said the food was good. The special was great and believe it or not the mash potatoes work well with the fish. Disappointing experience with staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keei Cafehawaii1Dined on 1/22/2014Great small neighborhood restaurant. Make reservations. Food is very good and made to order. They have a great wine list. Parking is in the back but is limited. Come early or later than 7:30. We have been eating here since it opened and have never had a bad meal. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT DINNERsucoDined on 1/22/2014Quality of the food and service makes up for the lack of ambiance and noise level which was cause by street noise and a loud group at another table. Rack of lamb, catch of the day (spear fish) and duck were all wonderful. Wine list was limited but adequate for our tastes, we had a Carmenere from Chile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddrbonnieDined on 1/14/2014This is one of our favorite all time restaurants in Kona. Have eaten here for years and always feel we get good fresh fish, wonderful mashed potatoes, salad (try green papaya). Had the best desert of the vacation - cheesecake with chocolate topping and liliko, I can't spell it...Anyway, we love this place and will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a GEM !PacoDined on 1/3/2014Service couldn't be more friendly or accommodating. We are vegan and they ALWAYS have multiple delicious choices for us. Our omnivorous family & friends RAVE about their seafood dishes. We love this place . . .we (almost) want to keep it a secret . . . but I think their reputation precedes us. Beautiful view and ample parking. Another delightful treat is their wonderfully soothing and talented guitar player (Freddy) strumming in the background, adding to the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findBestVIPDined on 12/27/2013After the dining desert of Kona, what a welcome oasis. Wonderfully prepared local food, good and relatively inexpensive wine list, pleasant service plus music. We have another week; we'll be back.Special Features:
- Great for a goodbye meal!!andyDined on 12/10/2013Second time at this restaurant in two years! The first time was wonderful and so I returned the second time I visited the big island. Great food, wonderful food specials (tuna), low key live entertainment, not overpowering for a meal and conversation. I would defiantly try this place but book ahead as it is one of the few excellent place there out of the hustle and bustle of Kona! They even sold lilikoi jam!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic classyKimberlyDined on 12/7/2013I found Keei Cafe to be a romantic classy dining experience. They offer delicious local dishes in a gourmet style. It is a bit too pricey for the size of the servings. The special coffee drinks were not up to par like the lattes and expensive. Yet we paid for a lovely setting and had delightful dining and plan to make it a regular .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place!MuramanDined on 12/5/2013My wife and I always make a point to eat here when we come to Kona!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ahi lover treat -- don't miss it.MainlandPierceVIPDined on 12/4/2013The freshest ingredients; a local, friendly place we have been to over and over again. Reasonably priced. No scenery -- get that elsewhere. Cozy and relaxing inside. Where the locals go. Reasonable wine list, reasonably priced. Bring your own if you want a special bottle. I recall the corkage was $10 or less. This is our go-to spot whenever we are staying at the South end of Kona. I love that you can chose the fresh catch prepared in numerous ways (love the mango sauce) -- as I'm the ahi fan. My husband likes the roasted chicken dish as a change from fish. The lamb is also very good and cooked as you like it. Real mashed potatoes any boy or man, especially, will love! We've never had an unsuccessful meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2013My husband and I have been coming to Kona every year for the past 7 years. First experience eating at Keei, one of the best meals we have ever had on the island!! Awesome service, we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic setting, live guitar musicNickname1Dined on 10/24/2013We have been here 3 times and have always left happy. Jimmy must be a regular, strumming his soft guitar as background in the beautiful surroundings. We always order one of the two fresh fish choices and the curry sauce. The vegetables which accompany the dish are perfectly cooked to al dente. I asked for brown rice rather than mashed potatoes and that was no problem (although the waiter forgot and had to bring that out on a separate plate). We ordered the Lyric pinot and it was yummy! We've never chosen to sit outside on the little deck because of traffic noise and there has been no view since it's been dark. The inside appeals to us with it's rich decor. We will happily return! Just remember to bring CASH or use the ATM on premises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit during amaksboxDined on 10/23/2013Our second visit during a one week stay in the small settlement of Captain Cook south of Kona. It was a relief to have such a good restaurant available nearby so that we didn't have to drive to the tourist jungle of Kona itself. Truly excellent seafood and accompanying vegetables, and the service on this visit was outstanding. Only minor negative is the uninspired musician; however, even with the apparent availability of amplification equipment, he had the virtue of being almost inaudible. As another reviewer mentioned, it is best to enjoy the fresh air by sitting near but not on the open balcony in order to keep away from the traffic noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been on Kona all weekmarkVIPDined on 10/23/2013We have been on Kona all week eating out every night. All four of us agreed that our meal here was the best meal on the island. Service was friendly and helpful in deciding what to have. It is well worth a drive to eat at this restaurant. Their fish soup appetizer is fabulous as is their seafood pasta and fresh catch of the day prepared in a choice of three styles. We didn't think that Zagets had rated this restaurant high enough. It is a bit of a drive, but take the new coast highway road to get there quicker.then your GPS may guide you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingMikeSDined on 10/17/2013Ke'ei Cafe has been one of the best restaurants on the island for many years now, and never fails tio impress. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A highly recommended restaurantrationalfearsDined on 10/11/2013This is a must visit restaurant located aways from the hustle and bustle of Kailua-Kona. It's a bit difficult to find because it does not stand out on the highway at night. The food was local and excellent, the service attentive, and the prices were very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentHoveroverDined on 10/10/2013This restaurant has always delivered excellent service, with friendly staff that meet your needs with regular checks, but not too many. The chef and his staff deliver superior dishes every time and the portions are adequate and one may even need a take home container. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit here every time I canSteveMVIPDined on 9/7/2013This is a little gem on the volcano overlooking Kona in coffee country. Menu is diverse for such a small place, and food is always very good. I usually have the fish special, and have never been disappointed. Service is wonderful - wait staff are friendly, know the menu, beers, and wines. I am not a big dessert eater, but I always have something here. So if you are on the Kona side of the Big Island, make every effort to get here it is my favorite Konaside restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2013One of very few good restaurants in Kona. Meets expectations. Good menu offerings. Good appetizers, salad and entrees. No mistakes! Great service, attentive for a Saturday evening. We brought a bottle of wine and was not charged for corkage, thank you! Did a great job of removing the cork from an old ottle of Opus one! It was our 20th wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. Soft live music, great evening. Special place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no lunchPAdinerVIPDined on 7/10/2013Unfortunately, despite a confirmed reservation, we arrived to find that Keei Cafe no longer served li=unch.
- Nice place,,hey it 's hawaiiDawgVIPDined on 6/25/2013Came three years ago..table late..they gave us free drinks..very nice fish..nice location..super duper drinks..only negative a bit buggy Try the fish of course.Special Features:
- Best dinner everOkumuraDined on 6/20/2013All four of us were amazed at the high quality of food. The steaks were perfect, the pork was outstanding, and the seafood pasta was the best I have ever had. Better than Cafe Pesto, better then Macaroni Grill, better than Meriman's.Special Features:
- A gem on the hillside.JkraftskiDined on 5/14/2013Enjoyed some great food at a reasonable price. Friendly atmosphere and live music that allowed us to still hold a conversation. A nice view of the ocean in a local neighborhood. Only downfall was the noise from the road below. It was raining so the splash back from the cars was alittle annoying. Will come back for the great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quiet SpotMadaketDined on 5/11/2013This place takes a few minutes from the Kona coast. . It was worth the trip. When we arrived for our 7:45 reservation, we found the restaurant half full. The bad weather must have been the reason, because the food was very good. I had the oven baked Brie with crostini and my husband had the Greek salad for an appetizer. For our entree I had the scallop and shrimp appetizer which was excellent and enough food for me. My husband had the Catch of the Day and was also pleased with his choice. We liked the ambiance and the service was very good. It was a little quirky but pleasant. We prefer a quiet restaurant, which this was, except for some soft background music being played by a local artist. All in all, a very enjoyable evening.Special Features: