20 W Kinzie Street
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.keefersrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3124679525x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Jose Reynoso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Keefer's & Keefer's Kaffe can provide catered food & beverage on a limited basis; please call for details (312) 467-9525
- Private Party Facilities: The Kaffe is a completely private space with its own entrance, 30 foot granite bar, large plasma screen television (perfect for power point presentations or for watching the big game), fireplace, bathrooms, coat check and small kitchen. This room can hold up to 50 persons with round tables.
- Private Party Contact: Sabrina Garcia 8889253785
- Special Events: Privare/Semi Private Dining:
The Radio Room Accommodates up to 36 for regular dining in individual tables; up to 26 as a monolithic board room setting and as many as 38 with three large rectangular tables.
The Kaffe: a completely private space with its own entrance, 30 foot granite bar, large plasma screen television fireplace & bathrooms. This room can hold up to 50 persons with round tables and can accommodate up to 32 in a single monolithic board room setting.
The Fireplace Room: As with all private dining spaces at Keefer's this space is on the main floor and no steps or elevators are involved. It also has a fireplace and room to set up a small bar for cocktails for parties under 50. It can accommodate up to 64 for regular dining.
- Cross Street: Dearborn Street
- Public Transit: All "L Stops" meet at the State of Illinois, Thompson Building at Clark and Lake Streets. After disembarking the train, proceed two blocks North on Clark Street to Kinzie Street. Make a right and go one block over to Dearborn. The restaurant is on the corner of Dearborn and Kinzie Street.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free Valet for Dining Guests Lunch & Dinner for February
except Valentines Weekend
Chicago Parking, Inc. provides valet service for our guests while they dine with us, for $8.00 at lunch and $12.00 at dinner. Additional parking is available including theatre and overnight. Extra charges apply.
A word from Keefer's Restaurant
Keefer's was ranked "Best of Chicago for Steak" by the Food Network, recommended by the Michelin Guide and ranked "One of the Top Ten Steakhouses in the U.S." in Playboy Magazine, Voted "Best Place for Business Dining" by readers of Crain's Chicago and praised by Zagat, "Keefer's is an independent Chicago local favorite, fit for foodies and steak lovers". You will love the steaks but you should not miss out on stellar fish dishes like fresh Dover Sole, Scottish Salmon, Maine Lobster, Ahi Tuna, Crab Cakes, Sea Scallops and specials including: Halibut, Hake, Sturgeon, Boullabaisse, Loup de Mer and Rose Fish Papillote. If you are in the mood for a more casual meal, check out Keefer's Bistro Menu where you will find items for a more casual evening out. You will not wait for us with a reservation: we are here to wait on you with first class service which includes an allergy program designed to let everyone safely enjoy as much of our menu as possible.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Keefer's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Does it matter?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014The staff put on a brave face and except for a slightly underdone fillet which was quickly fixed, we wouldn't have known they were closing shop at last call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FarewellPKFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014We will greatly miss this excellent and consistent destination for wonderful food and service in Chicago. Our final visit was slightly disappointing - the dover sole was not on the menu and service was not up to the usual standards, but that can be forgiven in the final week. We look forward to Glenn Keefer's next restaurant venture with great anticipation.
- calico1VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is one of the special steak and seafood restaurants. Great, friendly service. The best delmonico steak I have had, a super lobster salad with avacado and grapefruit, and "Hogan's" peas. Mr. Keefer meets you at the door! And has for many years -- unfortunately, no longer. This review is the last. The restaurant closed tonight, May 24, 2014. We will miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sad Day....epiCHIriousVIPDined on 5/24/2014Keefer's is without a doubt the best steakhouse in Chicago and will be sorely missed. Unlike other steakhouses, there is no rush to get you out of the door to turn a table like you witness at Gibson's or at Chicago Cut. Instead, Keefer's has consistently throughout its 12 year run provided excellent service, delectable food and a sort of "throwback" atmosphere to the dining experience of old. The impending closing of this fine establishment will leave a herculean gap that the "churn-and-burn" convention steakhouses like Gibson's and Chicago Cut could - but unfortunately will not - learn from.Special Features:
- GOOD FOOD / BAD PARENTSOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014Steaks were great but it noise level was to high and a couple of children under 3 were screaming and running around. No wonder it closed - I'd wouldn't go to a restaurant that serves bad parents.
- kbarbourVIPDined on 5/23/2014We will miss you!!! So sad to see you close. Our yearly visits to Chicago always included going to Keefer's for dinner. This year we visited Keefer's and our food was spectacular. Even got a pic with the owners as a farewell shot to remember good times.
- Goodbye KeefersOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/22/2014Sorry to see this place go. Great place for people in the radio business, everyone seems to know each other here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keefers - we'll miss you!50forfoodDined on 5/17/2014It's too bad Keefers is closing. It's so much better than Gibsons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good bye to a GemSteakhouseDined on 5/17/2014This fine restaurant features top quality steaks -- perfectly prepared. The table service was informal but very attentive and professional But be quick: a staff member told us that it will close permanently at the end of this month.Special Features:
- Service Service ServiceJerryChicagoDined on 5/16/2014The food was just as one would expect from one of Chicago's great steak houses. The ambiance was fun, modern and upbeat. But the service was just outstanding. Simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ilikefoodDined on 5/16/2014The atmosphere is nice. I've been here several times. Usually, the steaks are great. This time, they were not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014nice staff, great food. It has been a nice run for them. Too bad they will be closing.Special Features:
- Sad to see you go!Bin36RegularVIPDined on 5/16/2014Thanks for such a family oriented (staff and service) restaurant with outstanding service standards! Keefer's was always a GO to spot for business meals, lunch or dinner with college friends, etc. Sad to see you go, but good luck in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to see a favorite goraviVIPDined on 5/15/2014Love this place, the Ahi was a little off today but everything else was perfect for lunch. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Choice!2foodloversDined on 5/10/2014We went for our anniversary and loved it from the minute we walked in. We will definitely go back next time we visit downtown Chicago. The crab cakes were outstanding and I thoroughly enjoyed the Dover Sole. My husband decided on a steak sandwich and said it was the best he has ever had! The service was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST STEAK HOUSE IN CHICAGOjennykDined on 5/10/2014My family and I have been dining at Keefer's for years! Birthdays, Anniversaries -- every occasion has taken place at Keefer's. The food is outstanding and always consistent! The service is unbeatable and the ambience is wonderful. My husband and I drive 50 minutes each way just to dine at Keefer's -- We have been to ALL the other "top steakhouses" in the city and in my opinion, Keefer's is the BEST steakhouse/restaurant in the City of Chicago!Special Features:
- A Chicago iconRPMancusoVIPDined on 5/9/2014If you haven't been to Keefer's, get there quick. The Keefer brothers are moving on after a terrific 13-year run. Keefer's has always provided a friendly, professional and tasteful experience, where you always feel at home. Our dinners of arctic char and hake was one of the best meals I've had - anywhere. Keep track of the Keefer's. Anything with their name on it is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mealMountySCDined on 5/3/2014Service was spot on and the lamb chops were excellent. Good selection of beers on tap as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.KJTokyoDined on 5/3/2014I visited this restaurant with my colleagues. It was seems like we were the only Asian and feeling was not comfortable when we enter the restaurant. However, they were really welcoming us and got comfortable. The born in rib eye was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Minute...alandjenDined on 5/3/2014Sitting in our room at the Kinzie Hotel, we had no idea where to eat and our stomachs were grumbling. Thankfully Keefer's had an open table. The staff was very pleasant, our waiter not sure of his name was great. (For reference we were at table 85, Saturday evening) My wife ordered the pan roasted chicken and I got the pork chop with cherry sauce. Both were very good however the pork chop was a bit dry. In the end we were very pleased and would return.Special Features:
- Outstanding place for Steak.ArubaDined on 5/3/2014This was the best Ribeye I've had in years. The Food Network award is well deserved. I would put this up against Chicago Chop house and Wildfire any day!Special Features:
- Great First Time in ChicagoLouAndDiDined on 5/2/2014This was our first dinner in Chicago as I was here for a conference. It was very convenient to get to from our hotel (Hampton Inn Down Town) The service was a outstanding The waiter was friendly knowledgeable waiter. Good wine list. My wife's dish, the fluke was better than my artic char, but both were excellent. The side dishes were large and probably not necessary. The tuna appetizer was well seasoned and melted in you mouth.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodraviVIPDined on 5/1/2014Service was excellent and Salad was the best salad I have ever had. Fish taco's were bland and bread tasted slightly stale but those were very minor things compared to how excellent everything else was.
- Great food, great service!JED1Dined on 4/28/2014Had a business dinner with 3 other colleagues and the steaks were as good as any we have had, the scallops were over the top and the mussels were great too. Very attentive service, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014French onion soup had to much cheese and was messy.. 9oz steak seemed a little small for the $39.00 price!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Enjoyed a great meal here. Food was wonderful and although it was a nice restaurant, it wasn't stuffy. We really enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKfoodiesDined on 4/25/2014This place was just okay. The ambience wasn't great- definitely a mash up of both dressy and very casual. Food was good and server was helpful but we spent a lot of money here and wanted it to be a special occasion dinner and it felt too casual and we felt rushed and somewhat ignored.
- Impressive steaksWaldoDined on 4/24/2014From growing up around my family's burger shop I have always been exposed to quality cuts of steaks. Keefer's delivered one of the finest cuts and prepared steaks I have ever had. I told my family would have been thoroughly impressed if they were to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentPJC18VIPDined on 4/23/2014Great food and good service. Friendly staff and a wide choice on entrees. Enjoyed ordering from the bistro menu.Can always count on an excellent meal at Keefer's
- should have been betterEastbayfoodieVIPDined on 4/23/2014We have been eating here since they have opened. Dinner this week was under par as my steak was undercooked and my wifes overcooked. the pom Frittes seemed bland and used to have them served with a lemon aeloi sauce. Service was great and everything else was fine but food has been on the decline for a whileSpecial Features:
- Spectacular!!!!!DaChonDined on 4/19/2014Family dinner with good friends. Steaks were FANTASTIC!!! Even the Vegan at the table enjoyed her meal. I have not been here in a while but now I realized what I missed and will certainly be back sooner rather than later.Special Features:
- great eatsPauleatsDined on 4/16/2014Will be back !! I say go if you are in the neighborhood...can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and not much space.LizGot2EatDined on 4/15/2014Seemed really tight and couldn't hear others over the noise.Special Features:
- Top notch wet aged steaksMidatlanticDined on 4/14/2014This is the second time I had a chance to dine a keepers both times the wet ages steaks are just superb. The menu has many other dishes including lots of fish so it is not just a steak place. Service was outstanding and the atmosphere is ver good. I will make this a stop next time in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotGreatVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is a great place for food has the best frites in Chicago and Lobster is always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014This was the first time anyone in our party had been to Keefer's. We were celebrating our mom's 60th birthday, complete with a surprise out of town guest. Our server Aaron was great. He was very knowledgeable and did an amazing job making my mom feel extra special. Aaron and the entire staff (including the owner) were all amazing. The food was wonderful, we had 4 steak dishes including the steak Diane appetizer (a favorite of my mom's), which was 1 of the best she has had in years! We will definitely be visiting Keefer's again soon. Hopefully the weather will be nicer and we can enjoy the wonderful patio next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I had not beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I had not been to Keefer's for years. Try to go to different restaurants when we go to Chicago. We had the same waitress we had nine years ago. You know a restaurant has to be on top if they can keep staff for that long. My husband had the Caesar salad and as the last time with anchovy's she made sure he had plenty. My steak was perfect Char -med rare, and my husband’s chicken was cooked to perfection. We won't wait 9yrs to go back again.Special Features:
- Dining excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Excellent experience for my wife and I who were enjoying a romantic weekend getaway in Chicago to celebrate both her birthday & our wedding anniversary. Staff were all wonderful, service superb, & food/libations delicious. While each course was served in a timely fashion, we never felt rushed or delayed. Enjoyed the expansive view out onto the street behind the quiet of the curved window seating at what felt like an intimate table for two..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ruined every steak I've ever eaten!joesDined on 4/11/2014Best steak I've ever had, hands down. Server was very attentive, and knew menu front to back. Definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice time.RmcChairmanDined on 4/11/2014The overall experience was good. Food, service and ambience were good. Prices were high but that can be expected at all downtown restaurants. Everyone at my table that had steak that was cooked exactly as ordered. Would I go back? Yes, but I wouldn't rush back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.