1400 Vine St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Over the Rhine
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kazeotr.com/
- Phone: 5138987991x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues.-Thurs.: Kitchen 11am-11pm, Bar 11am-12am
Fri. & Sat.: Kitchen 11am-12am, Bar 11am-1am
Sun.: Kitchen 12pm-10pm, Bar 12pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Gastro Pub, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Hideki Harada
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We are happy to continually host karaoke with Sean Hafer every Wednesday night from 8pm-12am in the Main Bar.
Every Final Friday, DJ Casey Coston spins tunes in the outdoor Garage Bar while our bartenders serve up a Tiki Cocktail Menu.
A word from KaZe
KaZe offers an experience not previously found in Cincinnati. Modeled after the Japanese Izakaya, KaZe is a multi-concept gastro pub that features a contemporary dining room, a cutting edge bar and lounge, and a year round outdoor beer garden. Executive Chef/Partner Hideki Harada's masterful sushi and small plates, ranging from Yakitori Skewers to Ramen, are paired with a top notch craft and local beer selection, premium sakes, and fine wines. The atmosphere, food, and drinks all lend to a social setting perfect for hard-working young professionals, foodies, beer enthusiasts, and social scenesters, alike. Don't be fooled, Kaze means business with it's food. Chef Harada's goal of the finest sushi in the Midwest is matched by the intense flavors of his small plates. His cuisine is meant to leave no one behind, and is a perfect match to your favorite libation. Located in Cincinnati's historic Over-the-Rhine, Kaze is a new social and epicurean oasis, in a storied setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
KaZe reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (75)hot spot (72)great for outdoor dining (52)special occasion (41)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (39)romantic (26)late-night find (19)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (9)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dinner doesn't disappointMhcinciVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Kaze many times and the food did not disappoint on this visit. Amazing pork buns and ramen. The only thing that wasn't great was the dessert. We always finish with the s'mores dessert, it is usually awesome but something was really off. It was made different, tons of whipped cream on it- maybe someone new in the kitchen. Otherwise great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sophisticated pallet requiredOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Menu options were unique. Portions smaller than normal. Prices higher than anticipated. Salmon skewers were excellent. Bento tasting plate required additional sauces for the sashimi. Eel sauce was great. Spicy brown sauce was not good. Homemade ice cream was unique in that it had a smoked vanilla flavor??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place Pre-ETC or KnowHphockVIPDined on 10/18/2014We went on a Saturday eve. We had various sushi rolls, skewers, and Ramen Soup. The soup was delicious. The sushi was average. A definate plus was the warm Saki - yum! Nice place to eat, great if you are in the area. Not worth the drive if you are headed to the area from the 'burbs. Just our 2 cents.Special Features:
- Pork Bun DeliciousnessRNdinesDined on 10/17/2014We tried several thing on the menu: pork bun, Kobe beef skewer, and the vegetable pancake. The pork bun and beef skewer were amazing. Don't waste your money on the vegetable pancake. It was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Ambiance Over the RhineGeronimoDined on 10/17/2014Kaze is a wonderful space. Patio. Formal dining. Bar. All beautifully decorated. The food is great. The service is excellent. Why is this place not the hottest place on Vine? I give up. Why? Try it. You will love it.Special Features:
- Trendy and energetic, but...OrnitDined on 10/14/2014...the food wasn't very good. Sushi was probably the worst we've ever had. Salmon was not the best choice for the seafood soup. It was very fishy. Pork belly bun was dry and/or overcooked. On a good note, the vegetable pancakes were delicious. I doubt we'd recommend it or return.
- We kept enjoying new spaces!LoveOTRsceneDined on 10/10/2014We entered via the side street BAR entrance to enjoy a cocktail prior to our reservation. Great bar crowd, window seating with privacy curtains, nice level of music and lighting. We made our way out to the outside bar & even though it was a cold, rainy October evening there were plenty of overhead heaters to make it comfortable. We enjoyed some hand made "boozy sodas" and watched the rain. We were sat for our dinner reservations and enjoyed attentive but not over bearing service. Our waiter wasn't knowledgable about the fish entrees as they were unable to try them due to the quantity on hand. We tried several items from each section of the menu, rolls, noodle bowl, sashimi salad, striped bass entree & even the sake flight (which was fun!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy hourJtrooVIPDined on 10/10/2014had dinner friday night and made it in time for happy hour. we had the otr roll, dragon roll, ramen, and pork belly buns. the pork belly buns were the best out of everything. the sushi was pretty good but par for the course, nothing outstanding. the ramen portion for happy hour was tiny and wasn't that flavorful. it definitely needed salt. our drinks were good though as was the service. not sure i'll be back.
- But the food was excellent!ArlisGoldDined on 10/9/2014Our server took forever to get to us on a slow night. Normal greeting and then a bunch of no-confidence fumbles and a solid drink recommendation for an incredible bourbon-inspired cocktail that we kept ordering. The ambiance and food is always stunning at Kaze. This is the first time that service was poor and it was atrocious. I'm hoping it was just an off night for the gentleman. Fumbled verbal communication the few times he came to the table, went without plates and utensils and refills at all the wrong times, the order was wrong 3 different times and after told it was complimentary due to the mistake we had to argue it off the bill. Bottom line - I'd be back because the place is just cool and the food is wonderful and overall great crew.Special Features:
- Enjoyable evening!Foodie1101Dined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed another good dinner at KaZe. Chicken skewers and Kobe sliders- great! Pork chop was fine, not outstanding. Friend enjoyed chicken entree- very moist. I wish they had at least 1 domestic light beer- I wanted a Mich Ultra, but had to settle for a regular Coors. Server poured it into a glass w/o asking; would have preferred in the bottle. Service was slow and not super attentive to requests. We'll return, but hope service improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisyCharlieDined on 9/27/2014Good food but nosy. Might be in for a younger crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OTR eveningnameVIPDined on 9/27/2014Pre-concert dinner at 6:15 pm on a Saturday evening.. place was already filling up but we were promptly seated. Server was too efficient, visiting table often, almost between bites. We skipped entrees by ordering series of apps, salads, rolls. Food was excellent and each course came quickly. Tried the sake flight, but next time will order a carafe instead... eats & drinks & tip = $80. An enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Food SushiCintiFoodieDined on 9/25/2014The best sushi and miso soup I have had in a long time. the vegetable pancake was a bit dense and heavy for me, but all in all a wonderful dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent overall experience!Bos74Dined on 9/21/2014Everything at Kaze was fantastic! The menu, recommendations, food, drinks, service, space, ambience, and music made for a great experience. I will definitely go back the next time I am in Concinnati from Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the brisket bunslojoDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit as a group of 4 friends. The first visit was so wonderful that we could hardly wait to come again and have the brisket buns plus a few new items. The fresh salmon roe were wonderful. The sushi and sashimi and skewers were delish! My friend and I had the Cutie Honey drinks last time. We excitedly ordered them again this time but we think the measurement of ingredients was eyeballed rather than actually measured because the first one had way too much bitterness and the second one had way too much vodka. This is an easy drink to screw up, granted. When we mentioned this to the server, she took the drinks off our bill! We left a $40 tip on the $178 tab. The service is excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I've been here quite a few times. Food was very good and we had very good service. I'm sure I will be back many more times.Special Features:
- fun!kfm125Dined on 9/20/2014I took my dad here for his 59th birthday since he had always wanted to try sushi. He said that sushi is now his favorite food! Thanks for a great dinner with my family. My mom (also 59) is a designer and loved all of the lighting and decor. They felt really special and appreciated all of the little details of the meal and ambiance. Our server was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and serviceVannyDined on 9/19/2014Kaze is a welcome change to the foodie area ofo OTR because the ambiance is spacious, contemporary, and relaxing. Service was wonderful and the food was quite tasty. However, it was not my favorite spot for sushi in Cincinnati though. I would definitely come again to try other appetizers and entrees. It is a great place to go out for couples and groups of friends.Special Features:
- Best Sushi EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Wonderful veggie and also salmon sushi. Best ever! Friends had a salmon plate they raved over, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014We loved Kaze when it opened. Now the udon soup was all soup and no udon, the sushi was tired, the octopus inedible, and the service lackluster. Doubt we will go back.
- DollarjrDined on 9/14/2014Usually have great food at Kaze, but the steak dish was just okay. The ramen, however, was delicious- along with the peach yakatori(?) dessert. Drinks took a while and it wasn't that busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in OTRMammaFDined on 9/13/2014We were showing off OTR to a friend before going to the symphony on a Saturday night. We knew Kaze would be the perfect place to take her and we couldn't have been more correct. I especially liked the fact they took reservations. We loved that our guest just kept a huge smile between bites and when it was finally time to pull away from the table she told us it was a very memorable experience that she would love to have sometime again when she's in town. We knew the food would be delicious and our service would be friendly and knowledgeable, but even we were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 9/13/2014We love Kaze. My husband worked in Japan for a while. It is the only local place he finds to be authentic.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedjimfields3Dined on 9/13/2014I expected an ok dinner. Instead I was wowed with delicious awesomeness! I wish I could say I found one food item I didn't like, but I'd be lying. I'm already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Kaze First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Had my first visit to Kaze Friday night and was very pleased. Great food and service and cool vibe. After dinner sort of accidentally found the bar at Kaze and wasn't disappointed. Will definitely go back. Recommend the Pork Belly Buns and Tokio Mule!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMbf1VIPDined on 9/11/2014Good place before ETC because they take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and slidersEdwardDined on 9/6/2014Went for a last minute date night with the wife. Sushi was excellent. Very unique rolls. The "crunchy scallop" roll was probably the best sushi roll I've ever had. Outdoor patio was very enjoyable. Lively scene and lots of people watching all around. Great service. Overall a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed return customerYvoRockstarDined on 9/6/2014This was my 5th visit to KaZe and likely the worst. I'm typically quite pleased when dining here but something was off this time. Our server was not well versed with the menu or accommodating to my food sensitivities. My order came out entirely wrong and there was an overall lack of concern from our server as he made no attempt to rectify the situation. My guests enjoyed their meal, but I'll likely stick to lunch or happy hour on the patio.Special Features:
- Outstanding sushi and atmosphereKmoeDined on 9/6/2014This was our second time at Kaze. The decor has a wonderful vibe, from the front dining area to the bar and back patio. But the real reason to go is the sushi! Highly recommend the crunchy scallop roll and Kaze salad. Delicious! And were surprised to find smores on the dessert menu. Perfect for sharing! We loved everything we ordered, with the exception of the apple martini. We will stick with ordering drinks on the menu next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smolkDined on 9/6/2014Thought the atomosphere was particularly contemporary. Had vegetable pancakes for appetizer. Was tasty and a large portion. Easily sharable. Had OTR roll which again was a large portion and extremely fresh tasting. Wish I had known about the excellent happy hour specials at the back bar, but check them out on their website before you go. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Another great OTR placeBobMVIPDined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed our dinner and will be back. We liked the atmosphere, the selections and the derviceSpecial Features:
- all good!shansanDined on 9/6/2014fresh, relaxed atmosphere. knowledgeable, personable server. beautiful presentation of food. very tasty food- unique and complex flavor combos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonameDined on 9/5/2014Food was good- Service was excellent. Great location to Music Hall.Special Features:
- ExperiencedDinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Salmon smelled like fish. Only problem vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvhhbbvvvvvvvvvSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KaZe do it right.ccurranVIPDined on 8/29/2014On a busy Friday evening the staff handled things effortlessly. An the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go just for patio and drinksEbbiesVIPDined on 8/28/2014Outdoor patio was really nice. However I think food was not the best I ever had and the value is questionable.
- Great sushiKEileenDined on 8/22/2014The pork bun appetizer was absolutely fantastic - a definite menu staple and must-try. My husband and I both ordered off the sushi menu for dinner. Everything we ate delicious! The crunchy scallop roll was our favorite.Special Features:
- ExpensiveReviewerVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very good but somewhat expensive. Hard to get out without spending $25 for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Hit in OTRKindleVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have been to KaZe before. So in writing this its because we have been back. That means its very good. Nothing lacking here in food, service or atmosphere. All 5 of our party had different dishes. We rotated and all would have kept their new dish. Amazing to think no matter what was served it was delicious. Please try the pho. Very very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting Menu- sushi heavenCincynaplesVIPDined on 8/16/2014KaZe's menu always excites! Besides fresh sushi, including the standards you love plus new twists, the Asian themed specials and entrees are top shelf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.