Kaz Sushi Bistro
1915 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kaz Sushi Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kazsushi.com/
- Phone: 2025305500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kaz Okochi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please ask manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2025305500
A word from Kaz Sushi Bistro
KAZ Sushi Bistro is rated as one of the top Japanese restaurants in the Washington, DC area and has received many awards, including "2006 Casual Dining Restaurant of the Year". Kaz Sushi Bistro is known for its authentic Japanese menu that is accented with contemporary and creative touches. Please join us for your next special occasion, or for a quick bite, and enjoy our food and service in a relaxing and casual setting. Dinner reservations are recommend. (Lunch reservations, however, are not accepted on line due to our smaller capacity - 75 seats). Look forward to seeing you at KAZ Sushi Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Kaz Sushi Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (35)special occasion (25)romantic (15)great for lunch (14)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Spectacular foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014The flavors in the dishes were flawless. The dining room is a little tight in space, but this restaurant is a must go to. Consistently great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find for Sushi in DCJerry13Dined on 8/19/2014Kaz Sushi Bistro is an easy walk from hotels near the White House. Good attentive waitstaf that explains the different menu choices. Nice preparation and presentation. Save room for desert especially the icecream.Special Features:
- Average sushi, okay serviceLove4FoodDined on 8/15/2014The sushi was average, nothing special about it. Do NOT get their yellowtail - it was awful, couldn't finish it and did not sit well later.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014General speaking, the quality and variety are good, but for the price of the tab, i would rank it acceptable but not super. I would go once a while but not on a regular bases.Special Features:
- Di ROpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2014this was a great sushi experience. Fresh ingredients, expansive menu and attentive service.Special Features:
- Food is great but overpricedDfgghDined on 8/11/2014The quality of the food is great, though not necessarily the best. For a lower price, I think there are better finds in this city like momijiSpecial Features:
- Food is very good but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The food was very good. Only two dishes I did not like:pork rinds (too greasy) and white fish (too dry). It was very noisy. If you install some noise absorbing materials on the walls, it might help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but crampedSundayDinnerDateDined on 8/9/2014I went there with a friend for a dinner. The sashimi was good. We ordered the sashimi plate that was chosen by the chef. We also ordered some sushi's on the side. One of them was salmon with avocados. I can't remember the other one. Overall, the food was good but very cramped. Parked was tough on Sunday evening. A lot of the parking structures were closed for the Sunday. Lastly, I don't know if I ordered the sashimi or something but the bill was over $100 for two people. I thought that was little bit pricey.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014The fish is great, but the decor is meh. May come back for the food, but probably won't rant and rave to friendsSpecial Features:
- Best Sushi in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014This place never disappoints. After traveling around Asia, this was the most elaborate selection of high quality rare fish that I have found in DC. Although its a little pricy, its worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi AND sidesLuluDined on 7/31/2014We loved the sushi combos but the sides were also perfect. We had the brussels sprouts (sounds weird for a Japanese restaurant, I know) which were roasted and had a perfect bit of sauce on them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great4YummyDined on 7/24/2014Kaz Sushi continues to be a go-to place for high quality and creative sushi in downtown DC. Delish! Frienfly service, good space between tables add to the overall enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi ever!TXgirlfoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014That salmon pork belly was literally one of the best things I have ever eaten. Delicious and buttery...melts in your mouth! Kaz isn't the fanciest of places and looks a little hole-in-wallish, but the sushi is great and the staff is very knowledgable about all their dishes. Will definitely come back the next I'm craving sushi!Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicekiller32Dined on 7/19/2014Kaz did not disappoint with food or service. The sushi was excellent, with many different options for all different tastes. The server was responsive, but not intrusive. Highly recommend! Dessert was great, too!Special Features:
- Marginal sushiDenniespicksDined on 7/12/2014Was disappointed in the sushi. Ordered an eel roll and and a spicy scallop roll and neither were particularly good. Have had way better sushi at sushi king in Columbia Maryland.
- Yummy SushiBrunchLoverVIPDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed dinner here. Everything was very fresh. Highly recommend the article char and small plates. Service was excellent, very attentive. Never had to ask for anything.Special Features:
- Mediocre & Over-priced sushiDktran31VIPDined on 7/2/2014My date and I did sushi omakase at the counter on a week night. We had 15 courses (the chef keeps going until you tell them to stop). Most of the fish was not fresh. The bill was $280, pre-tip. Although a few courses were really good, overall the sushi quality is mediocre and I felt ripped-off upon leaving. Service was great but not good enough to makeup for the price. Will definitely not return. For good sushi, try Sushi Taro & Makoto.
- Fresh and distinctive sushiDFDCVIPDined on 7/2/2014Kaz is a long time favorite.... The sushi is fresh, they have a lot of variety, and distinctive and creative preparations and combinations. The service is always good and the atmosphere pleasant and unhurried. I go here often and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- Great SushiRky1Dined on 7/1/2014Took my significant other here on her birthday. We both loved the quality, presentation, and selection of the food, particularly the quality of the cuts of sushi. The dishes were mostly traditional but had some clever presentations. The restaurant itself was fairly quiet and made for easy conversation.Special Features:
- Amazing sushiaero9600Dined on 6/28/2014The menu at first seems limited when compared to some sushi joints that have lots of crazy rolls. However, after your food arrives, you realize that everything is designed to feature the flavors of the fish. Less is more!!! The sushi rice has the best flavor and texture. The soy sauce is house made. I could go on but you really just gotta try it for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterMizzWilliams36Dined on 6/28/2014I went to Kaz with my hubby for his bday, after reading great reviews. Kaz was mediocre at best. We ordered the Grilled Avocado with Lobster appetizer, which was covered in a creamy thick sauce, and had just a few pieces of claw meat. The rolls were nothing special. The best one was the Gari roll. We left, and had dinner elsewhere.
- KazmdubDined on 6/27/2014Consistently very good to excellent. Food is consistently well made , fresh, with strong presentation. Space wise its a little tight but manageableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent Anniversary MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2014Great sushi and great service for a very memorable anniversary dinner!Special Features:
- Creative sushiAvidDinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Excellent sushi with many creative elements. Second time dining here and it was great again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodFoodExplorerDined on 6/18/2014I really enjoyed my food here during my visit to DC. While it wash't quite what I was expecting when I walked in (More casual than I had thought), I really did enjoy my food. A friend had a bento box that she loved, and I had some of the most delicious nigiri I'v ever had. We also received excellent service, and I like that they give you towels to clean your hand with before you eat. I would comment that their vegetarian bento box isn't actually vegetarian. It has a side note informing you that the soup and sauces contain dash, but I don't believe most people know that dashi is fish stock. This kind of bettered me, as I nearly always have a vegetarian in my dining party.Special Features:
- You have to try Yuzu Sake!MoMoDined on 6/14/2014We just love the place. The food is so wonderful and also, service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placesmnixonDined on 6/13/2014The sushi is amazing!!! I love the creativity they take with the food and always love the food. Ever server I have had is terrific here!Special Features:
- Best Sushi in DC Metro are herejalapeno88Dined on 6/11/2014located near IMF, World Bank and GW Univ. campus Kaz Sushi is an old school Sushi Bar worthy of a Sonny Chiba cameo. Thank You for the excellent quality food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh sushiMichaelVIPDined on 6/6/2014Enjoyed the food! Iutctvpugvoutvputvuptffyfiygiyfiyf
- Good sushi and sashimiJEANENEMXVIPDined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed our evening at this restaurant. The food was very good and seemed very popular with the locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal -- Brussels amazing!LPG1VIPDined on 5/31/2014Since we've been able to put a man on the moon, it shouldn't be too surprising that chefs have finally figured out how to transform the once ill-used Brussel sprouts into the most glorious of veggies. Kaz's rendition is a must-order. The soy-roasted sea bass was very flavorful while the sushi (salmon with mango and spicy tuna rolls) was fresh but unexceptional.Special Features:
- really nice sushiFoodisgreatDined on 5/21/2014It was terrific. The staff were helpful and friendly, but the food is the standout part of this experience. We had chef's choice of nigiri and a great selection of sashimi. The cocktails were nice too.Special Features:
- East meets West sushi showdownAlyroseDined on 5/21/2014The sushi was extremely innovated. While the cost was a bit pricey (250) it was well worth it. Amazing creative sushi. Including sake soaked scallops and truffled tuna. Plus amazing hot plates and desserts. Yummy mojito ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi is fresh & fantastic!PatriciaVIPDined on 5/17/2014Kaz is consistently good! The food and service are offered with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Fabulously fresh tasting food with vibrant flavours. Extensive menu well constructed so could continue to order depending on degree of hunger! Helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service!!!KeriShullDined on 5/10/2014This is my favorite sushi in the city and every time I am there I am amazed it's not more crowded. The service is terrific, and they have a chef tasting that is out of this world!Special Features:
- Great foodMandiVIPDined on 5/10/2014I had always been wanting to try out Kaz and I am glad I finally did. The sushi was so fresh and our waitress was very knowledgable. she offered great recommendations and the sake tasting was fun.Special Features:
- KaarunVIPDined on 5/2/2014The sushi was good but the veggie miso soup was okay. The banana dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, avant-guard sushiVerilyDined on 5/1/2014Good quality fish, and excellent, mindful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 922 reviews are from the Kaz Sushi Bistro reviews archive.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014It's a great sign that Kaz can maintain wonderful levels of food and service over the years -- it's always good. The service is always attentive. There restaurant is always busy. Well. Done. Kaz.Special Features: