2000 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya
- Phone: (412) 261-6565
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Sloan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kaya
Kaya's cuisine is inspired by the sea and sun, melding fresh, high quality ingredients with bold flavor and alluring preparation. Executive Chef Benjamin Sloan incorporates the culinary customs of the Caribbean Islands, South America, the Pacific and beyond, using only the freshest herbs and spices combined with the excitement of a sizzling grill to create food that is exotic and lively. The varied and complex menu and festive tropical drinks have made Kaya an award-winning dining destination for more than a decade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Kaya reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (87)hot spot (58)vibrant bar scene (51)special occasion (46)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (37)great for lunch (37)romantic (30)great for brunch (25)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Love Kaya!!KFRDDined on 11/23/2014Kaya is one of my favorites and I was not disappointed during this recent visit. The staff was pleasant and accommodating, My sandwich was delicious, the order was taken and brought to the table in a timely fashion. No complaints!Special Features:
- Love KayaPriyaDined on 11/20/2014One of my favorite places in Pittsburgh. Amazing corn lentil beignets, black bean dip for appetizers. Love the Jamaican curry too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fried chicken ThursdayspittsbrghDined on 11/20/2014Best happy hour in town, and on Thursdays they have the best fried chicken in town. Excellent cocktails (though not too crafty), fantastic draft list, all half off for happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSharonaDined on 11/20/2014Kaya had great food and good service. I enjoyed Caribbean influenced dishes. Great drink,wine, and beer selection. Overall would recommend this restaurant to my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlimmyDined on 11/16/2014It took us awhile for the server to greet us and get our drinks, even though it was not busy, at all. Started with the alligator appetizer, which was HORRIBLE - the one piece was so tough, almost like jerky - it truly was inedible. I was concerned that our entrees would be just as disappointing, however, thankfully, I was wrong. I got the Swordfish, and my bf got the Tuna. They were both delicious, and totally made up for the disappointing start. Love the décor, it wasn't very crowded, which was nice. It can get really cramped inside when the place is busy. Overall it was good, and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish TacosBdd1989VIPDined on 11/14/2014We went here for my birthday and I had the crispy fish tacos. My wife got the chili crusted tuna which was re-added back to the menu recently. Both dinners were very good. Also we found out they had happy hour and drink specials between 430 and 630 which was very nice on draft beer and some other drinks. They had a pretty decent list of draft beers. Good place to go on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayaBurghFoodieDined on 11/13/2014We went on a Thursday for the fried chicken dinner and it was delicious. The service started out slow but improved during the meal. The regular menu looks great and we will be going back again.I would recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurants in PittsburghFancyPantsDined on 11/12/2014The food is phenomenal - I was excited to see that they've changed up their menu a bit so I'll have an excuse to keep coming back to try all the new items! The drink list is great too - staff is always courteous and knowledgeable. The paella is fantastic, as are the fish tacos. If you're looking for a sandwich - go for the cuban.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KamboDined on 11/8/2014I have been going to Kaya for 18 years. The menu is always vibrant and the quality is unparalleled. Truly a great dining experience for any occassion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but portions BIGPGHDeeDined on 11/8/2014Food was good / great with lots of creativity and excellent presentation. However too big! Everyone in our group had an appetizer and a main course and we could not finish even half of our main courses. Suggest you pare back the sizes and the prices a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time hereetwaszuessenDined on 11/7/2014Seviche is to die for. Healthy and tasty food. Waiter is one of the best I have encountered anywhere. Friendly, professional and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Great lunchlive2eatDined on 11/4/2014Had a delicious lunch withs group of friends. Food was interesting and very tasty. Will certainly go back. Prices very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- epg1313Dined on 11/1/2014There is a great variety of food on the menu and everything tastes great. The service staff is extremely friendly. Some of the tables are a little close together. Make sure you have a flashlight app on your phone so you can read the menu - it is dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!luv2dineDined on 11/1/2014The food was very good and different. If you are looking for something adventurous with some spice I would recommend going there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!sjk74Dined on 10/31/2014Had a great time food was great and it was a great atmosphere! Drinks were spectacular! Only thing it was a little too darkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeachesDined on 10/30/2014It is always fun to go to Kaya's. The preparation of the food is almost always perfect...The pleasant servers add to the sociable atmosphere.. The different nightly specials are a plus as well as Happy Hour...The General Manager Monica is the BEST!Special Features:
- WonderfulBobABooeyVIPDined on 10/26/2014As with all of the Big Burrito restaurants, Kaya is excellent. Food, service, hipness.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Not disappointed as with all of the Big Burrito restaurants - love them all! Food was very tasty with a delicious take on Caribbean and cooked perfectly (I had the salmon, my husband had the ahi tuna entree). Dishes were served attractively and generous portions. Would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysStephDined on 10/23/2014Took my fiancé here for his birthday. We go here a few times a year, and it's still amazing. The food has always been really good. I went with the crispy fish tacos, and he went with the skirt steak, which was phenomenal. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outPghDineDined on 10/21/2014The staff is very attentive. The food is always great. Such a great evening out with friends. Highly recommend the paella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique CaribbeanWahooVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great Caribe menu. Always a surprise and a pleasure. The waiter was most helpful and the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- ScrapmanDined on 10/20/2014Great if you like Caribbean. Menu should be expanded with more Caribbean favorites.Special Features:
- So good!BrittyDined on 10/19/2014This was my second visit to Kaya; my first trip for brunch. Their Kaya Burger is phenomenal, as are their waffle fries. Everything was delicious & you should ask for Megan to be your server - she's great!Special Features:
- try the skate wingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014great menu choices, fantastic waitress and great atmosphere. try the skate wing with plantains -- it's delicious!Special Features:
- Love!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014Food and service is always amazing. Recommend the hot bean dip for an app!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kaya 2014JakeDined on 10/15/2014We love all of the Big Burrito restaurants-but don't get to Kaya frequently. It has such great decor, and fun menu. And the drink menu has such variety! I had the Pomegranate Mai-Tai-which was so good-it turned into 2! The noise level was pretty high when we got there at lunchtime (12:30p), but they were kind enough to move us to a quieter spot, and by 1:30, it had cleared out and was easier to hear. Great spot! Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBmizDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I went here on a Friday night. It's a smaller place but the food was outstanding. They have a decent beer and wine selection as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentbunnyDined on 10/9/2014good vegan food! Not great, but good. I'd come here with a group of non vegans for sure. Everyone would have an option. The waitress was very helpful in choosing entrees. Mojito was good too, not too sweet, but could use more mint.Special Features:
- Spicy MenuNinnie1995VIPDined on 10/8/2014Fun place. If you like upscale spicy food this is the place! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost too loud to enjoy food.VapormedixDined on 10/8/2014Arrived 15 min late (called ahead); seated immediately. Between ongoing happy hour and blasting music we had to mouth words to communicate. We hung in there because we were ready to dine and knew that the kitchen would not disappoint. However paella was too heavy on the salt and blueberry ice cream had little flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday45Dined on 10/4/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Kaya. I met with two of my good friends for a girls night out. Our food and service were great. The waiter made good food and wine suggestions. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere; great foodLocal2400Dined on 10/3/2014The service and food is excellent. The noise level is a little loud, but conversation is not difficult. Authentic Caribbean dishes, including jerked chicken, fish and some vegetarian. Nice drink menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- georgieDined on 10/3/2014The food here is excellent as well as the service! Love the atmosphere! Happy hour is pretty amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime favorite.LisNJohnluv2eatDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I have been coming to Kaya for more years than I can remember.. it's one of our go-to restaurants for birthdays, anniversaries, etc., but it's also a favorite last minute choice for no special occasion at all. The service has always been impeccable and the food has been consistently excellent - always such an amazing combination of flavors and ingredients - unique menu items that we look forward to and never seem to tire of. Hope to continue going to Kaya for years to come..Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I hadn't been to Kaya in several months and that is ashame. This restaurant is one of the best in Pittsburgh. Excellent choices with crazily well blended spices and jerk rubs. Always healthy options and an abundance of vegetables and seafood options. This time had the paella and the clams and chorizo were great. Great ambiance, one place you can always try a new dish and be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and mediocrefoodqualDined on 9/26/2014Some money has obviously been spent on this restaurant, although frankly the interior looks more like a cheap Tiki bar than anything else. The service was attentive - in fact over-attentive - but nonetheless warm and welcoming. The food, however, was a disaster. We began with lentil beignets; these were greasy, far too spicy and utterly tasteless. The food in general was under seasoned, over-cooked and over spiced; we tried both paellas, and they were utterly tasteless, with spongy overcooked seafood. The obsession with overloaded spice is, we think, less an attempt at 'authenticity' (there is *nothing* authentic about this place) and rather a ruse to hide the bland and poorly conceived food. Pittsburgh deserves better than this.
- my local favoritejfkpittVIPDined on 9/23/2014It's always delicious, great drinks, excellent and quick service, and lively. The decor has not changed in many many years, and that feels cozy and comfortable to me, as it is still very cool inside. I love this place and have been coming for 15 years.Special Features:
- Always exceptionalohhimDined on 9/21/2014As a local I always come back here whenever I need a can't miss exceptional meal. Every dish is fresh, portions are generous, flavor profiles created from mixing both the common with the uncommon are tasty and although the ambience is causal the service is top notch. Had the fish tacos, ribs (starter), and both were amazing (as usual). Never a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodmammacondeDined on 9/20/2014When we first got there we were seated inside which is alittle to dark. The server was quite attentive. We ordered sangria and some appetizers while waiting for our son. I had to leave to go get him at bus stop. When I returned my husband was sitting outside and the apps where out. We ordered the crab cakes, calamari, shrimp ceviche. Everything was delicious. The complaint I have is the service. No app plates were provided and even after asking they didn't come so we eat off the main dish. Asked for more chips and that took 15 min. My son loved the paella, my husband enjoyed the jerked swordfish but watch out because it is spicy. I had the fish tacos - tasty but had way too much colesaw. Overall good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLynnRubeDined on 9/18/2014I have had lunch at kaya several times but this was my first time for dinner. Food and device exceptional despite a busy restaurant- every table filled. A bit noisy but didn't detract from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.