2000 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya
- Phone: 4122616565
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Sloan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kaya
Kaya's cuisine is inspired by the sea and sun, melding fresh, high quality ingredients with bold flavor and alluring preparation. Executive Chef Benjamin Sloan incorporates the culinary customs of the Caribbean Islands, South America, the Pacific and beyond, using only the freshest herbs and spices combined with the excitement of a sizzling grill to create food that is exotic and lively. The varied and complex menu and festive tropical drinks have made Kaya an award-winning dining destination for more than a decade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kaya reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (85)hot spot (53)special occasion (48)vibrant bar scene (44)great for outdoor dining (41)great for lunch (36)good for groups (33)romantic (30)great for brunch (22)late-night find (18)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- WonderfulBobABooeyVIPDined on 10/26/2014As with all of the Big Burrito restaurants, Kaya is excellent. Food, service, hipness.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Not disappointed as with all of the Big Burrito restaurants - love them all! Food was very tasty with a delicious take on Caribbean and cooked perfectly (I had the salmon, my husband had the ahi tuna entree). Dishes were served attractively and generous portions. Would recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysStephDined on 10/23/2014Took my fiancé here for his birthday. We go here a few times a year, and it's still amazing. The food has always been really good. I went with the crispy fish tacos, and he went with the skirt steak, which was phenomenal. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outPghDineDined on 10/21/2014The staff is very attentive. The food is always great. Such a great evening out with friends. Highly recommend the paella!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique CaribbeanWahooVIPDined on 10/21/2014Great Caribe menu. Always a surprise and a pleasure. The waiter was most helpful and the food never disappoints.Special Features:
- ScrapmanDined on 10/20/2014Great if you like Caribbean. Menu should be expanded with more Caribbean favorites.Special Features:
- So good!BrittyDined on 10/19/2014This was my second visit to Kaya; my first trip for brunch. Their Kaya Burger is phenomenal, as are their waffle fries. Everything was delicious & you should ask for Megan to be your server - she's great!Special Features:
- try the skate wingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014great menu choices, fantastic waitress and great atmosphere. try the skate wing with plantains -- it's delicious!Special Features:
- Kaya 2014JakeDined on 10/15/2014We love all of the Big Burrito restaurants-but don't get to Kaya frequently. It has such great decor, and fun menu. And the drink menu has such variety! I had the Pomegranate Mai-Tai-which was so good-it turned into 2! The noise level was pretty high when we got there at lunchtime (12:30p), but they were kind enough to move us to a quieter spot, and by 1:30, it had cleared out and was easier to hear. Great spot! Great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotBmizDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I went here on a Friday night. It's a smaller place but the food was outstanding. They have a decent beer and wine selection as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentbunnyDined on 10/9/2014good vegan food! Not great, but good. I'd come here with a group of non vegans for sure. Everyone would have an option. The waitress was very helpful in choosing entrees. Mojito was good too, not too sweet, but could use more mint.Special Features:
- Spicy MenuNinnie1995VIPDined on 10/8/2014Fun place. If you like upscale spicy food this is the place! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost too loud to enjoy food.VapormedixDined on 10/8/2014Arrived 15 min late (called ahead); seated immediately. Between ongoing happy hour and blasting music we had to mouth words to communicate. We hung in there because we were ready to dine and knew that the kitchen would not disappoint. However paella was too heavy on the salt and blueberry ice cream had little flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday45Dined on 10/4/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Kaya. I met with two of my good friends for a girls night out. Our food and service were great. The waiter made good food and wine suggestions. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere; great foodLocal2400Dined on 10/3/2014The service and food is excellent. The noise level is a little loud, but conversation is not difficult. Authentic Caribbean dishes, including jerked chicken, fish and some vegetarian. Nice drink menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- georgieDined on 10/3/2014The food here is excellent as well as the service! Love the atmosphere! Happy hour is pretty amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime favorite.LisNJohnluv2eatDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I have been coming to Kaya for more years than I can remember.. it's one of our go-to restaurants for birthdays, anniversaries, etc., but it's also a favorite last minute choice for no special occasion at all. The service has always been impeccable and the food has been consistently excellent - always such an amazing combination of flavors and ingredients - unique menu items that we look forward to and never seem to tire of. Hope to continue going to Kaya for years to come..Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I hadn't been to Kaya in several months and that is ashame. This restaurant is one of the best in Pittsburgh. Excellent choices with crazily well blended spices and jerk rubs. Always healthy options and an abundance of vegetables and seafood options. This time had the paella and the clams and chorizo were great. Great ambiance, one place you can always try a new dish and be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and mediocrefoodqualDined on 9/26/2014Some money has obviously been spent on this restaurant, although frankly the interior looks more like a cheap Tiki bar than anything else. The service was attentive - in fact over-attentive - but nonetheless warm and welcoming. The food, however, was a disaster. We began with lentil beignets; these were greasy, far too spicy and utterly tasteless. The food in general was under seasoned, over-cooked and over spiced; we tried both paellas, and they were utterly tasteless, with spongy overcooked seafood. The obsession with overloaded spice is, we think, less an attempt at 'authenticity' (there is *nothing* authentic about this place) and rather a ruse to hide the bland and poorly conceived food. Pittsburgh deserves better than this.
- my local favoritejfkpittVIPDined on 9/23/2014It's always delicious, great drinks, excellent and quick service, and lively. The decor has not changed in many many years, and that feels cozy and comfortable to me, as it is still very cool inside. I love this place and have been coming for 15 years.Special Features:
- Always exceptionalohhimDined on 9/21/2014As a local I always come back here whenever I need a can't miss exceptional meal. Every dish is fresh, portions are generous, flavor profiles created from mixing both the common with the uncommon are tasty and although the ambience is causal the service is top notch. Had the fish tacos, ribs (starter), and both were amazing (as usual). Never a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodmammacondeDined on 9/20/2014When we first got there we were seated inside which is alittle to dark. The server was quite attentive. We ordered sangria and some appetizers while waiting for our son. I had to leave to go get him at bus stop. When I returned my husband was sitting outside and the apps where out. We ordered the crab cakes, calamari, shrimp ceviche. Everything was delicious. The complaint I have is the service. No app plates were provided and even after asking they didn't come so we eat off the main dish. Asked for more chips and that took 15 min. My son loved the paella, my husband enjoyed the jerked swordfish but watch out because it is spicy. I had the fish tacos - tasty but had way too much colesaw. Overall good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodLynnRubeDined on 9/18/2014I have had lunch at kaya several times but this was my first time for dinner. Food and device exceptional despite a busy restaurant- every table filled. A bit noisy but didn't detract from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Very interesting food. We have been there twice and we are familiar with Caribbean spice which dominates everything. We took two of our friends who did not appreciate that so much and had little to eat that night. Not for everyone.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerPghVeggieGurlDined on 9/17/2014I've been to Kaya several times since it opened years ago. Even with all the new restaurant competition, it was full house for a Wed night and the food was outstanding. I had the vegetarian prix fixe, 4-course meal, a monthly special. It was fantastic. My boyfriend ordered from the menu and was equally impressed. The service was terrific and was timed perfectly with my multiple-course dinner. Food was well-prepared and very tasty!! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MusicGeibelDined on 9/17/2014My niece and I traditionally visit Kaya for their vegetarian tasting menu. Our last visit was Wednesday and we were not disappointed! I wonderful array of courses containing the refreshest local produce possible, perfectly seasoned and spiced, and a great wine package to boot. Love you Kaya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014Great food and happy hour specials! There are some new items on the menu. The onion rings were crispy and delicious, with a wonderful horseradish sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDavidBandfriendsDined on 9/14/2014Kaya is a consistent go to for casual but sophisticated food. The Kaya Burger with avocado and fried egg remains a favorite. Had the Bahn Mi tacos, veggie Paella, and tostada, and all were pleased. The Dark & Stormy cocktail(s) were tasty, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with Many Levels of FlavorDocChuckDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I enjoyed a great meal. Both the swordfish and paella had lots of flavored going on and the meal was a delight. In addition, the wait staff was attentive and helpful. A great combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Kaya!spikeVIPDined on 9/10/2014I'm always looking to try something different on Kaya's menu and sample ingredients I've never tasted before. The chef always comes up with great flavors and unique ingredients/pairings to make a truly mouth-watering dish and memorable dining experience. If you are adventurious, you won't be disappointed. This was my first time to try the outdoor dining space at Kaya. It was a perfect night for it--not too hot or sunny. There was some noise from passing cars, but not much traffic between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. and the weather was delightful (despite a brief rain shower, which didn't affect us as there was a sufficient awning covering the tables).Special Features:
- food was just "ok"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Nice spot, good service and good atmosphere. I had the salmon which was why undercooked and pretty average tasting at best. My wife had the fish tacos which she thought were decent. Overall reasonably priced and staff was friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The islands' flavors and moodSandymodDined on 9/6/2014Love the unique choices and food pairings. Have been here several previous times and never been disappointed. Service goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- autumnDined on 9/5/2014The air conditioning was broke on a hot Friday nite. the jerky chicken did not have enough seasoning. friendly service the appetizers was great we had the calamariSpecial Features:
- DJARDined on 9/5/2014Tropical paella was wonderful, as always, and waiter was so friendly and helpful. We will be going back againSpecial Features:
- great birthday dinnerpeggytheveggieDined on 9/1/2014there were four of us, all with different food tastes and requirements. the server was knowledgable, fast without being hurried, responsive, and efficient. we all loved our dishes, even those of us who never like anything. highly recommend for a special occasion (a little expensive).Special Features:
- Not fond of the foodShelly5Dined on 8/30/2014I was not impressed with the food. It was pretty spicy for a dish that didn't indicate any kind of spice level. I ordered the jerked pork quesadilla. Ended up being slightly soggy. Salad was ok. Appetizers were just okay. Probably won't return. I'm not a huge fan of Caribbean food. The manager was very nice and stopped to check on our table.Special Features:
- First-time reviewdrak64Dined on 8/30/2014We went to Kaya for lunch on a Saturday. We received our food fast, and were not disappointed. The Tropical Paella was delicious for seafood lovers! The service was attentive but not overwhelming.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodWomanToBlameDined on 8/29/2014I am a full-on carnivore and my BF is vegan and Kaya was a perfect spot for us, more than accommodating both of our food choice lifestyles. A perfect blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strip District GemBurghfoodDined on 8/29/2014Island cuisine in the heart of The Strip. Pittsburghers will steer you to other spots in the famous "Strip District" but this place needs to be on the list. Food is great, ambiance is cool and service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pricey but unique and tastyVikkiPDined on 8/28/2014A little too expensive for a casual meal, but very good dishes with lots of fresh peppers, cilantro and the like. Mixes of sweet and hot abound. I haven't had a bad dish yet. And if you get Chas, he's a fantastic waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.