2000 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya
- Phone: 4122616565
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Benjamin Sloan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Kaya
Kaya's cuisine is inspired by the sea and sun, melding fresh, high quality ingredients with bold flavor and alluring preparation. Executive Chef Benjamin Sloan incorporates the culinary customs of the Caribbean Islands, South America, the Pacific and beyond, using only the freshest herbs and spices combined with the excitement of a sizzling grill to create food that is exotic and lively. The varied and complex menu and festive tropical drinks have made Kaya an award-winning dining destination for more than a decade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Kaya reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (87)hot spot (58)special occasion (52)vibrant bar scene (52)great for outdoor dining (46)great for lunch (43)romantic (37)good for groups (34)great for brunch (33)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always goodLynnRubeDined on 9/18/2014I have had lunch at kaya several times but this was my first time for dinner. Food and device exceptional despite a busy restaurant- every table filled. A bit noisy but didn't detract from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Very interesting food. We have been there twice and we are familiar with Caribbean spice which dominates everything. We took two of our friends who did not appreciate that so much and had little to eat that night. Not for everyone.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I've been to Kaya several times since it opened years ago. Even with all the new restaurant competition, it was full house for a Wed night and the food was outstanding. I had the vegetarian prix fixe, 4-course meal, a monthly special. It was fantastic. My boyfriend ordered from the menu and was equally impressed. The service was terrific and was timed perfectly with my multiple-course dinner. Food was well-prepared and very tasty!! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014My niece and I traditionally visit Kaya for their vegetarian tasting menu. Our last visit was Wednesday and we were not disappointed! I wonderful array of courses containing the refreshest local produce possible, perfectly seasoned and spiced, and a great wine package to boot. Love you Kaya!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014Great food and happy hour specials! There are some new items on the menu. The onion rings were crispy and delicious, with a wonderful horseradish sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealDavidBandfriendsDined on 9/14/2014Kaya is a consistent go to for casual but sophisticated food. The Kaya Burger with avocado and fried egg remains a favorite. Had the Bahn Mi tacos, veggie Paella, and tostada, and all were pleased. The Dark & Stormy cocktail(s) were tasty, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with Many Levels of FlavorDocChuckDined on 9/14/2014My wife and I enjoyed a great meal. Both the swordfish and paella had lots of flavored going on and the meal was a delight. In addition, the wait staff was attentive and helpful. A great combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Kaya!spikeVIPDined on 9/10/2014I'm always looking to try something different on Kaya's menu and sample ingredients I've never tasted before. The chef always comes up with great flavors and unique ingredients/pairings to make a truly mouth-watering dish and memorable dining experience. If you are adventurious, you won't be disappointed. This was my first time to try the outdoor dining space at Kaya. It was a perfect night for it--not too hot or sunny. There was some noise from passing cars, but not much traffic between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. and the weather was delightful (despite a brief rain shower, which didn't affect us as there was a sufficient awning covering the tables).Special Features:
- food was just "ok"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014Nice spot, good service and good atmosphere. I had the salmon which was why undercooked and pretty average tasting at best. My wife had the fish tacos which she thought were decent. Overall reasonably priced and staff was friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The islands' flavors and moodSandymodDined on 9/6/2014Love the unique choices and food pairings. Have been here several previous times and never been disappointed. Service goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- autumnDined on 9/5/2014The air conditioning was broke on a hot Friday nite. the jerky chicken did not have enough seasoning. friendly service the appetizers was great we had the calamariSpecial Features:
- DJARDined on 9/5/2014Tropical paella was wonderful, as always, and waiter was so friendly and helpful. We will be going back againSpecial Features:
- great birthday dinnerpeggytheveggieDined on 9/1/2014there were four of us, all with different food tastes and requirements. the server was knowledgable, fast without being hurried, responsive, and efficient. we all loved our dishes, even those of us who never like anything. highly recommend for a special occasion (a little expensive).Special Features:
- Not fond of the foodShelly5Dined on 8/30/2014I was not impressed with the food. It was pretty spicy for a dish that didn't indicate any kind of spice level. I ordered the jerked pork quesadilla. Ended up being slightly soggy. Salad was ok. Appetizers were just okay. Probably won't return. I'm not a huge fan of Caribbean food. The manager was very nice and stopped to check on our table.Special Features:
- First-time reviewdrak64Dined on 8/30/2014We went to Kaya for lunch on a Saturday. We received our food fast, and were not disappointed. The Tropical Paella was delicious for seafood lovers! The service was attentive but not overwhelming.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodWomanToBlameDined on 8/29/2014I am a full-on carnivore and my BF is vegan and Kaya was a perfect spot for us, more than accommodating both of our food choice lifestyles. A perfect blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strip District GemBurghfoodDined on 8/29/2014Island cuisine in the heart of The Strip. Pittsburghers will steer you to other spots in the famous "Strip District" but this place needs to be on the list. Food is great, ambiance is cool and service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit pricey but unique and tastyVikkiPDined on 8/28/2014A little too expensive for a casual meal, but very good dishes with lots of fresh peppers, cilantro and the like. Mixes of sweet and hot abound. I haven't had a bad dish yet. And if you get Chas, he's a fantastic waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great every timeAndyDined on 8/27/2014A little loud, but great food and drinks more than makes up for it!Special Features:
- Nice lunch spot...SnackmasterDined on 8/25/2014This place is part of the Big Burrito family. I would put it as middle of the pack. Not as tired as Mad Mex. Nice interesting menu well presented with good service.Special Features:
- Middle of the RoadEatingThroughPittsburghDined on 8/24/2014The grilled pineapple was a great/unique side for a brunch menuSpecial Features:
- Great experience!holcombe543Dined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent, and the waitress was extremely knowledgeable about the menu. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the old Kaya'sphillydocVIPDined on 8/22/2014Too loud, too dark and flavors did not really work together.
- reviewAugust2014birthdayreviewDined on 8/22/2014Food was delicious. Our waitress was excellent. Service was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome FoodagebDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I had some of the best food we've eaten in a long time. The skirt steak was perfect, swordfish was terrific, and bean dip appetizer was unique and delicious. Very, very, very good food! Make reservations and enjoy!Special Features:
- Vegetarian Night was FabulousLauraGVIPDined on 8/20/2014Kaya is one of my favorite spots in the city - never lets us down. Most recent visit was for the Vegetarian night on 20 August. I love that they can make food both look and taste that good, without any animals harmed in the making! These people know Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie HeavenCharlieVIPDined on 8/20/2014The monthly vegetarian menu is always excellent but this months was outstanding. Flavors complemented each other beautifully. Service is always very good without being overwhelming. Cocktails are superb. If two people are dining, one person should get the vegan menu and the other person, the veggie menu, then switch plates half way through the meal. Bravo Big Burrito and Kaya.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/19/2014Kaya is one of our favorite restaurants. It never disappoints!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodwew003Dined on 8/19/2014Here for the first time in Pittsburgh for work. My co-workers and i stopped in. Good was great. Our server Chaz was knowledgeable about the menu, funny and engaging. Food was very good you should try the jerk swordfish. Large portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always HappyKFRDDined on 8/17/2014We eat at Kaya frequently, and I have not had a bad meal. Service good-newish server did a great job, we all thought he was the trainer!Special Features:
- freshlivetoeateattoliveDined on 8/14/2014My wife and i had not been to the strip for many years. What a breath of fresh air Kaya was. From the moment we got there till the time we left was great. The drinks were perfectly mixed, the mahi mahi perfectly cooked, and service was great. Best of all, the food was fresh and delicious. We will definitely return, and most likely try dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodBusinessTravelerDined on 8/12/2014This is a small, very casual restaurant in the strip district. There is nothing fancy about the place; in fact, when I walked in I thought it was just a bar. Luckily they did have a one table in the back with seating for our party of six. As soon as the appetizers hit the table we forgot about the ambiance because the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnerluvtodineDined on 8/10/2014Decided to head here for a quick bite on a Sunday. Fish tacos were delicious. My girlfriend wanted a crab cake sandwich for dinner. Usually only on the lunch menu. Our waitress was very helpful and asked the kitchen if it was still possible to order. Needless to say the crab cake sandwich was delicious. Thank u to Kaya for being so accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place...PghfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014Love Kaya for brunch or dinner... We've had several things and nothing disappoints. I recommend the black bean dip, plantain hummus, flank steak, swordfish, Cuban sandwich and fish tacos. Their burger is pretty darn good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above AveragedavechrsDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I love to check out restaurants we haven't visited and the visit to Kaya didn't disappoint! It was very clear the food prepared was from very fresh ingredients. The wait staff is very accommodating. My wife didn't like the beer she ordered and the waitress suggested she order a different one and the first one would not be charged. The overall experience was very favorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious. And the atmosphere was cool. The service left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 7/26/2014I tookk a couple of my friends who were visiting from out of town and they loved the food.Special Features:
- Great experienceBub7Dined on 7/25/2014I love coming to Kaya. The food is always good and the service always friendly and welcoming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so FoodJilkaVIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I recently visited Kaya after a long absence. Our server and his trainee were great. The food, however, was "nothing to write home about." We ordered the conch hush puppies. The amount of salt on them was outrageous. I ordered the Tempura Avocado Bahn Mi Tacos. The avocado was bland. I wish some of the salt from the hush puppies could have found its way to the tacos. The tacos had a massive amount of cilantro piled on top. I was able to make a cilantro side salad. My husband ordered the Heirloom BLT. A top slice of the tomato was brown and rotten. I'm not sure how the prep cook missed it. The salad that accompanied the BLT was not dressed -- just dry field greens. Disappointed to say the least!
- Excellent as alwaysSunnODined on 7/21/2014Having tried almost every item on their menu, I am still impressed, and a bit amused, that of all the places in Pittsburgh to get a burger, who would have thought a Caribbean place would have the best one?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.