Katsuya - San Diego - SBE
600 F Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Katsuya - San Diego - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.katsuyarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6198142000x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Daily from 4pm, Dinner Daily from 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuya Uechi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Katsuya's award-winning Japanese cuisine by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit www.katsuyarestaurant.com or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Private Party Facilities: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya San Diego accommodates up to 400 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails.
- Private Party Contact: sbe Events + Catering 8888433214
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya San Diego accommodates up to 400 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit www.katsuyarestaurant.com or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Katsuya - San Diego - SBE
Featuring the dynamic pairing of Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi and design impresario Philippe Starck, Katsuya by Starck is truly a feast for the senses. With specialty cocktails, unique rolls and spectacular sushi and sashimi platters, Chef Uechi skillfully translates Japanese flavors to the American palate. Signature dishes include Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño and Miso-Marinated Black Cod. With superb talent and exacting precision, Katsuya by Starck is changing the face of Japanese cuisine. The San Diego location has been hailed as “the latest temple to all things luscious” by Riviera San Diego.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Katsuya - San Diego - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not great at allHolaguapa69Dined on 12/31/2013My friend and I went here for dinner on New Years Eve. We were shown to a table which was practically in the kitchen so we asked to be moved. After a 10 minute wait, we were relocated to a corner table which was good but very cold - so much so that the paper lanterns over our heads were swaying. We complained several times and eventually after half an hour, it was fixed. I had to wear my winter jacket in the meantime. The food was good but not amazing. The service was very good. Our waitress was very nice. I would not return to this restaurant, nor would I recommend it.
- Outstanding!KristineVIPDined on 11/14/2013I was in San Diego for business and had a taste for sushi. I looked up local sushi restaurants on my OpenTable app and Katsuya popped up so I decided to give it a go. I was amazed from start to finish. My waiter, Jason, was incredibly attentive and thoughtful, he made menu recommendations (as well as sightseeing recommendations!) and came by to check and see how things were going. There were a lot of choices on the menu and each one sounded fantastic, and everything I ordered was delicious. I actually dined two nights in a row at Katsuya, once alone and once with a group, and both experiences were fantastic. I will definitely be coming back again, not just for the food and drinks, but for the atmosphere, service, and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent opitons coveringuncleJoeDined on 11/12/2013Excellent opitons covering several different Asian cuisines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a reservation for 7PittsburgherontheroadDined on 11/10/2013We had a reservation for 7 and were not seated until 7:40 - but after that everything went very well. The sushi was fresh, arrived to the table in a timely manner. The wait staff timed their visits perfectly to make sure we had the dishes we wanted when we wanted them. The sake list was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre attempt at Asian InfusionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2013Just another mediocre San Diego restaurant located in the Gaslamp District. The food was either poorly presented, over-seasoned, or over cooked. The waitress did her best to be accommodating for our disappointing food. My wife and I cut our losses, paid the bill and spent the next 30 minutes complaining how disappointed we were with this place. Will never recommend or return to this establishment.
- Perfect NightEWWWWWWDined on 11/2/2013We made reservations opposed to just walking in for 9 pm. We get there on time and but our table isn't ready so we grab a drink at the bar. Celebrating a birthday the bartender buys us all a round (choc cake-gross but it was free so thx!) 30 mins into our wait still no table...... WTH so the manager promises to make it up to us! 1st class delivery, every single thing we ordered was amazing. I would definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing CallOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/2/2013Katsuya was an amazing experience. The Fried Rice, Filet, and Sake were all better than expected. I would highly recommend the Frozen Asahi!Special Features:
- Excellent FoodEmilyDined on 10/25/2013We enjoyed our food and our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. Our food came out too quickly for our enjoyment though. At an expensive restaurant I'd prefer if the courses were slowed down for maximum enjoyment. It felt like they were rushing us out of there even though the restaurant was not very crowded especially for a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent Japanese fareOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2013Hilton has taken the edge off the original Phillipe Starck decor, and now it's a place casual San Diego seems to casually enjoy. Fairly good Japanese food (though perhaps a little predictable). Wait staff is very poorly trained - inattentive and then intrusive by turns. It's a little pricy for the quality of the experience you get, and the whole place seems more oriented to tourists than repeat customers. Nobu is probably a better choice for most people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever!JennDined on 10/18/2013The server never cam back to check on us. We got half of our order and he never brought the rest out. It was overpriced and service was the worst I've ever had.
- Japanese tapas, stunning setting.GearheadDined on 10/12/2013Excellent choice if you're in the mood to graze on Japanese food. Beautiful, modern decor. Helps to have the server explain the menu if you're not too familiar with Japanese food. A bit expensive but quality is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great!PaeeDined on 10/11/2013I love this kind of restaurants, with nice service, great food and very pleasant place, was my first in katsuya and it's for sure i will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKKittyVIPDined on 10/11/2013I wouldn't rush here. Everything is just 'good'. Even one of the items they rave about most is just OK - the crispy rice tuna. It's all no big thrill. There are other places to try!!
- Better the second time around.SDSpartanDined on 9/26/2013First time we really enjoyed the food, but due to a horrible hostess we found it sub par. Well we tried it again as we love the food so much and this time service and hostess were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/21/2013I really liked this place however the food comes out really really fast. You don't really get a chance to relax too much before each order is dropped in front of you. I suggest spacing out your ordering. Food is fabulous! Lobster Dynamite is the bomb.Special Features:
- Great, as always!GolferGirlVIPDined on 9/21/2013The food is really good at Katsuya - we've been there several times and have yet to have anything that we didn't love! The servers are all very friendly - Kansas waited on us this time and she was delightful! Great place to spend a couple of hours & have a great meal in downtown San Diego! Try the Wagu beef sliders and Asian chicken salad if you are like me and not a sushi fan. Neither will disappoint you!Special Features:
- BEAUTIFUL INTERIOR - WONDERFUL FOODluvgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/29/2013Some of the best japanese food in San Diego. The black cod is extraordinary. The atmosphere is inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightAmyMVIPDined on 8/22/2013Went for a girls night and had a great time!!! The food was over the top drinks were delish! Great time had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2013We had the tuna with crispy rice and the albacore with fried onions. Those 2 were very good. We also had the BOP bowls with the pork bulgogi and the egg...very good flavor. Not as sweet as the typical korean sauce. It has a little spice to it but just the right amount of sweetness. We also ordered the tomato and bacon skewers, just right...something we can do for our next bbq party :) Overall the food there is good, you will pay more than a typical sushi restaurant but that is to be expected in downtown. We did not order any drinks but the menu was rather extensive for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2013Great service from bar and wait staff. Managers also attentive, constantly checking on patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Being attached to the AndazVoraciousDined on 8/10/2013Being attached to the Andaz hotel, it had a very modern, chic feel to it. Lots of small and large parties were eating in the restaurant, so the noise level was up quite a bit. But for a Saturday night, pretty average. The food presentation was nice, although could have been a little better, but the taste of the food was good. We chose from all the house specialities on the menu, which were really good. We could see why they were popular. Those five dishes along with with hand rolls were plenty to feed a party of 4 and cam out to just over $120 without tip...not too bad for a sushi place. More of a fusion restaurant than a pure sushi house, but was good nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fantastic SBE propertyAmericanTrvlrs5VIPDined on 8/7/2013Big fan of the restaurant and all the different Japanese/Asian/Fusion mixup. Bar scene is nice as well. Food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Good Sushi - High Priced DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2013I know restaurants have to mark up alcohol to make a profit. But they are a bit extreme here. A tequila on the rocks costs about 1/3 the price of a fifth. That's too much.
- Can't wait to come back....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2013We had the best experience at dinner last Saturday night at Katsuya. Our service was perfect-not too rushed but they stayed on top of everything. One dish was better than the next-we had most of the favorites....crispy rice and tuna, sashimi with crispy onions, and of course baked crab hand rolls. We loved it and can't wait to come back next trip to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diappointingminminDined on 7/26/2013This restaurant is nothing like the one in LA, too loud, too spacious, so so service.
- Lovely placeBebeVIPDined on 7/24/2013Very pretty rooms. Very good food. Our waiter was good but the bartender was not very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next dish better than the lastNikkiVWVIPDined on 7/18/2013Shared four dishes for two people and each dish that came out to the table was better than the previous one. The Subi Yaki Maki was recommended by our waitress and was awesome. The brussel sprouts were the best we've ever had. Need to replicate the recipe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2013We came for a birthday celebration and there was a handwritten note on the table when we arrived and hostess, waiter and manager stopped by to wish happy birthday. The food was delicious - the wagyu birthday is so tender it melts in your mouth. There is suishi, but other choices to satisfy variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi and the robatadanbramiDined on 7/6/2013Great sushi and the robata grill works wonders. The prices were reasonable for such a trendy and enjoyable dining experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinner at Katsuya!GolferGirlVIPDined on 7/5/2013Celebrated my husband's birthday at Katsuya last Friday evening with friends who had never been there before. We shared several courses, starting with a great spicy tuna roll, wagu beef sliders, tuna with Japanese salsa, a salad with chicken, black cod, and a wagu filet dish. Simply delicious from start to finish! They then brought out a special chocolate birthday dessert for my husband that we all shared. Great evening and we will certainly return!Special Features:
- Amazing FlavoursMaluDined on 6/27/2013I've been at Katsuya for a farewell dinner after a 20 Days trip around California with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful time there. Our waiter Jason, if I recall correctly,, was very nice and explained us everything we asked him about our drinks and dishes. We ordered 5 different things and they were superb, it seemed that each dish that came was even better than the one before. Lovely !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SushiKartigasDined on 6/22/2013Its a restaurant veru trendy and the food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2013We've been for our anniversary and for a birthday. Both times they have added special extras to make the occasion extra special. It was different each time. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese restaurant ever!GolferGirlVIPDined on 6/16/2013What a great experience we had at Katsuya. From the second we walked in the door until the end, our evening was excellant. Great staff and server - the food was delicious! We started out with a spicy tuna roll that wasn't even on the menu but our waitress suggested we try. My husband loved it! He then had a cod dish with the best sauce ever. I opted for the filet which melted in your mouth. We shared an apple crisp dessert that was the best! A little pricey, but well worth the money. Chef Alex even came out and talked to us after our meal - was so fun to spend a few minutes with him. We will definitely return to Katsuya!Special Features:
- Very good quality food selection.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/3/2013Very good quality food selection. Staff are friendly and open. Overall great experience for the avid Sushi/Sashimi and Sake lover. Compliments to the chef(s)!!!Special Features:
- Amazing foodTravelerDined on 6/3/2013Amazing food quality and great variety of seafood options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/1/2013Must order the appetizer of albacore tuna, adding the truffles! Must order the miso garlic cod! We also ordered 2 sushi rolls. It was perfect for our anniversary dinner. They even brought us complimentary champaign!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. ThoughOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2013Food was excellent. Though pricey, good value for the money. A very cool, swanky interior. The Maitre d was excellent, unfortunately the servers not as good. My only knock was slow inattentive service by the server. The server was very nice, but I think they were understaffed for a Monday night and as a result the one waiter had a hard time keeping up with the 4-5 tables he was serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to brag aboutTimboDined on 5/20/2013Food was good but nothing special. Service was very slow. Very uncomfortable seating. Won't be back.
- SassyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2013The restaurant and bar have a great ambiance, vibe, and decor. The host and bartenders were very nice and attentive. The food was great however our server was not at the top of her game. There was an hour gap between our 2nd to last sushi roll and our last sushi roll and we had to flag her down if we wanted to order a drink. We did complain to the manager and he more than made up for our awful service. He was very kind and apologetic. He ended up making our experience a pleasant one. I would definitely try this spot again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.