Katsuya - Laguna Beach - SBE
858 South Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Katsuya - Laguna Beach - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sbe.com/katsuya
- Phone: 9497934030
- Hours of Operation:
Sun-Thu 5-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Katsuya Uechi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Katsuya's award-winning Japanese cuisine by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Private Party Facilities: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya Laguna Beach accommodates up to 200 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails.
- Private Party Contact: sbe Events + Catering 8776250411
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Katsuya. Katsuya Laguna Beach accommodates up to 200 guests with design by Philippe Starck, on-site and off-site catering, custom menus by Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Katsuya - Laguna Beach - SBE
Featuring the dynamic pairing of Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi and design impresario Philippe Starck, Katsuya by Starck is truly a feast for the senses. With specialty cocktails, unique rolls and spectacular sushi and sashimi platters, Chef Uechi skillfully translates Japanese flavors to the American palate. Signature dishes include Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño and Miso-Marinated Black Cod. With superb talent and exacting precision, Katsuya by Starck is changing the face of Japanese cuisine. Katsuya is the Los Angeles Times Readers’ Choice "Best Sushi Restaurant" in Southern California and one of OpenTable's "50 Hottest Restaurants in the U.S."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Katsuya - Laguna Beach - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
- The place was great, as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013The place was great, as was the food. Sadly the service was pretty poor. Bad communication on seating a part of 2, even though reservations had been made hours before. We had to wait 45 mins after our scheduled reservation to be seated. This was also after checking with the hosted staff 3 times and the manager once.Special Features:
- I love Katsuya! It's pricey,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013I love Katsuya! It's pricey, but the food and cocktails are fantastic and the scene is really fun! I'm so sad that the Katsuya in Laguna Beach is closing...today is their last day open:(Special Features:
- The food was fantastic. ThefoodfitDined on 3/2/2013The food was fantastic. The service started out bad. Not just bad, but nearly wanted to leave bad. We found out later that this was the last night that Katsuya was open and as a result much of the staff did not come to work. Katsuya did comp us a desert and entree, combined with the aforementioned closing issues, we did understand the situation and took that into consideration regarding our feelings with Katsuya. Too bad they are closing for in the end, the meal was fantastic.Special Features:
- Its a bummer that KatsuyaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Its a bummer that Katsuya Laguna Beach is shutting down as of today based on what our server told us during dinner on Saturday night.
- The food was amazing. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013The food was amazing. Service was nice too. Docked a point on ambiance for all the super-casually-dressed people in the restaurant and the loudness of the music which made hearing my girlfriend rather difficult. Having a seat outside would really have helped out in this situation. All I asked for upon making the reservation, however, was a seat from where we could look onto the beach. We were fairly far from the window, which really wouldn't have mattered if it hadn't been so noisy inside. Don't know how fair it would be to dock service for this, so I'll leave it solid.Special Features:
- Great variety on their menuRammerDined on 2/28/2013Great variety on their menu - not just sushi at this Japanese restaurant!Special Features:
- DisappointedLadydiVIPDined on 2/23/2013Terrible service. Even though food was great, I would not return.Special Features:
- Katsuya is not worth the money.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Katsuya is not worth the money. Our check $$233 for 3, reduced by a 10% locals card,with only 3 drinks ordered, is highway robbery. Loud inside, help is hit and miss, and the food has gone down in quality. My 6th time eating there, but each time the quality is downgraded. With so many fabulous restaurants in Laguna Beach to compete, this one just isn't worth it. Pass - 6th time you're out.
- Katsuya in Laguna Beach isAKrupaVIPDined on 2/22/2013Katsuya in Laguna Beach is fantastic place to dine if you enjoy great sushi. As a local in the area I enjoy dining at Katsuya because of the fantastic service that I receive each time along with the delicious food. I tend to go for my normal choices, but with great suggestions from the server I try new items on the menu and haven't been dissatisfied once.Special Features:
- The black Cod was divine.....theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2013The black Cod was divine.....the rest of the food was average Japanese.... I was sorry they were out of soft shell crab dish.......We had the Creme Brulee for dessert and it tasted like sugary spun sugar....the sugar overpowered the flavor....and at $10.00 it was overpriced. The tea was delicious......Special Features:
- Found it to be good food butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013Found it to be good food but service was sub par. I've dined at Katsuya in Hollywood and thought it was far superior. It wasn't so busy for a Saturday night and consequently the servers seemed to be going through the motions with very limited enthusiasm. Beer was warm and when I asked to replace it with any other beer that was colder the server stated "that's as good as it gets." It also took a considerable amount of time between dishes for the server to circle back and ask us if we needed anything else. It's a shame, as a resident of south OC I was very hopeful to experience something similar to Katsuya Hollywood.
- We have dined at the LA LiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013We have dined at the LA Live location before a Laker game so I knew what I was in for with the menu. However, even on a game night, the LA Live vibe is more adult than the Laguna Beach location. We booked the Laguna Beach spot for our first date night since the birth of our baby 6 months ago. I was very disappointed that night that almost everyone there had kids with them - little kids, in high chairs and baby carriers! Great for when we want to bring the kiddo, not good when I wanted a high-energy, adult scene. The food - I rated it "very good" because it is good... it's just not excellent. If you want excellent, go to Nobu.Special Features:
- Not enough bang for your buckUnderwhelmDined on 2/15/2013Not enough bang for your buck on the appetizer crispy rice. The lobster was ok. I ordered the wagyu ribeye, this was definitely the only thing worth coming back for. It's hard to spend so much and still be hungry after.
- Food is good and menu selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2013Food is good and menu selection is nice. Service was fair - server was friendly but forgot our edamame order (it never came) and forgot my wife's 2nd drink order, which we reminded him of and he brought afterwards. Noise level wasn't "energetic" - it was plain LOUD! Had to lean across the table to hear each other. Bad choice for Valentine's Day and any time you're looking for a more romantic setting. Only real reason I'm recommending was for the menu selections.Special Features:
- We came specifically for theNikkiDined on 2/13/2013We came specifically for the sushi, and as such can not offer a review on the hot dishes. The sushi, however, was fantastic. We started with the Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna, which was an incredible appetizer. The sashimi sampler was phenomenal. The Katsuya and Laguna rolls were also a delight. We also had a few items that were not on the menu. The first was a seared tuna with a crispy garlic slice on top and it was just to die for. Absolutely heavenly. The second was a kampachi sashimi, which honestly disappointed compared to everything else. There is a nice list of sake, but be warned it is not budget sake. Apparently Mondays are half off sake, so plan a visit for Monday if great sake is your thing. All in all, a great time.Special Features:
- We love the food, and havemarchefanVIPDined on 2/9/2013We love the food, and have eaten here many times, but the service at 6 pm on a Saturday when there were only 6 parties in the entire restaurant and ample staff was lackadaisical.Special Features:
- We arrived and order 2 cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013We arrived and order 2 cocktails and an appetizer. The appetizer arrived right away, but our cocktails did arrive so we asked someone what happened. We kept waiting and then finally started our appetizer. Someone came and removed the dish before we were finished with it. Finallly our cocktails arrived and at that time we ordered our food. The next dish came out and the final dish, but before we finished the final dish, our waitress came by and started to remove it, so I quickly tried to use the chop sticks to remove the remainder of the mushroom and in doing so I knocked over my cocktail which was not even 1/2 way finished. The waitress said nothing nor did she offer to replace the cocktail. It was the worse dining experience we have
- Not for us.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013It's not that hip. It's not that trendy. If you want to show you can afford it then this is the place for you. I chose this place thinking it was similar to the one in Hollywood, which we liked. The place is very noisy. Huge dining room, looked more like a cafeteria. Music playing loudly so people were talking louder to compensate. The waiter apologized for the acoustics and said that they're working on it. The bar was slow at getting our drinks. We got our appetizer way before our drinks. The waiter was attentive and so was the manager who came over to apologize for the delay at the bar and asked us several times if we were OK. That's commendable. Open Table reservation stated it was a Bday. No mention of it. It was comp, though.Special Features:
- Great place for Friday andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Great place for Friday and Saturday nights in Laguna BeachSpecial Features:
- Excellent sushi and a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Excellent sushi and a very cool atmosphere. Can add up in price depending how many items you try, but definitely worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Half price MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2013We ate on a Monday Which is Laguna Beach locals night half price so the price was right. Food was good as was the service.Special Features:
- Great food and fabulous service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2013Great food and fabulous service. Only complaint was the acoustics, it was very difficult to have a conversation. Younger, well dressed patrons, coming from a 50 year old. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2013Very dissatisfied with the food. Way over priced for the lack of taste. After spending over $100 our group went elsewhere to eat. Small portions and all our sushi had the same blan taste.
- The food and service werebobgDined on 1/3/2013The food and service were excellent, the room very well done. The prices were too high for frequent dining.Special Features:
- Once is enoughlive2dineVIPDined on 12/20/20122 appetizers, 2 sushi rolls, 2 cocktails, $200.00 Need I say more?
- A curious fusion of well-trainedanonDined on 12/15/2012A curious fusion of well-trained chefs and OC brashness. Having four separate and uncoordinated kitchens means the food arrives haphazardly. Philippe will have to learn that poor acoustics and loud boring music is very last decade
- Went there Friday night andMartinDined on 12/7/2012Went there Friday night and was not impressed with my experience. The edamanes were tasteless. The $14 crispy rice w/ spicy tuna was the most overpriced sushi i've seen in years. The four mini bites had 0.05oz of tuna on it. The Robata skewers were fair and priced accordingly. The dining room decor does not match the prices, the chop sticks are the same as the ones used in japanese fast food restaurants. On a positive side, the service was attentive. The restaurant was not busy (on a Friday night) and one would wonder why.
- Food was amazing and our waitress'OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2012Food was amazing and our waitress' suggestions were all spot on delicious! Initially, we were sat at the sushi bar....with reservations and open tables. Other than that, we had a very positive and memorable night at Katsuya.Special Features:
- the restaurant is just wayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012the restaurant is just way too loud. hostess desk was unorganized. took a long time to be seated and it was not even close to full.Special Features:
- Great Sushi ... makes up forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2012Great Sushi ... makes up for the not so great ambiance and slow service!Special Features:
- Second time in a month thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2012Second time in a month there and no one I'm talking no one there!!! About 4 tables at 8 pm on a Friday night. Sorry, but Laguna is a miss should have been in Newport. It's a loud BOO!!!!
- Went in on Friday 11/2 atOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/2/2012Went in on Friday 11/2 at 7pm and the place seemed completely dead. Outside dining covered 'patio' seemed cold and uninviting.
- Great experience at KatsuyaAKrupaVIPDined on 10/27/2012Great experience at Katsuya - enjoyed the ambiance, the service and the food. Overall, I recommend to those that appreciate Sushi and a fun/energetic environment.Special Features:
- Had exceptionally bad service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012Had exceptionally bad service, including a waiter who ignored us. We also assumed we were receiving a free desert and where then charged.Special Features:
- Katsuya had very good sushiDenzelMogVIPDined on 10/19/2012Katsuya had very good sushi and hot foods. Little on the pricey side. Only complaint that the noise is to loud. You can't carry conversation to well due to the acoustics or layout that create a a tunnel/loud noise.Special Features:
- terrible dining experiencedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2012It was one of the worst dining experiences I've had in a long while. It was a group of four of us celebrating a birthday. The waiter was pushy constantly making suggestions on what we should order some of which were special items not on the menu that ended up to be ripoffs. The food was bad and very disappointing. Two in our group had been to the Brentwood location and loved ta it. This place could not live up to the expectation. The restaurant was so cheap that it didnt even offer anything for my friends birthday. The sushi was terrible compared to the ridiculous prices they charge, which probably explains why it was more than half empty on a Friday night. one of our desserts was terrible and the waiter just said "really" and did nothing.
- Better Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2012Food was better than expected. Service was great!! The only complaint I had was how fast the dishes all came out. It is like they have all the dishes premade sitting under the heat lamp...Special Features:
- Not worth the price tagLynneVIPDined on 9/28/2012Way overpriced for what it is. Fresh fish & good sushi, but definitely not worth the price tag.Special Features:
- DO NOT GO HERE!LillyVIPDined on 9/26/2012I had a horrible experience here. The food on the menu and the specials that are normally good in the LA locations, were terrible here! They didn't seem to care about the look of the place either: there was soy sauce spilled on the floor and no one cleaned it up and the menus had dried up soy sauce on them and were torn. Definitely would NOT recommend to anybody!
- Wonderful dining experience.VirtueDined on 9/22/2012Wonderful dining experience. Make sure to ask about the off menu sushi.